Start by marking “Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy” as Want to Read:
Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy

Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  314 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Baby animals are going to sleep one by one, butthe tiny humanbaby is the most special of all. Denise Fleming's knack for understanding the preschool set shines through in this gentle good-night story, illustrated with her signature pulp paintings.

Take a colorful look at all the tired babies who are closing their eyes, and start a new bedtime ritual with your own sleepy lit
Published August 3rd 2010 by Henry Holt and Company (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy

City Dog, Country Frog by Mo WillemsA Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. SteadChalk by Bill ThomsonArt & Max by David WiesnerBink & Gollie by Kate DiCamillo
2011 Caldecott Hopefuls
42nd out of 74 books — 143 voters
Fishing Into Potato Salad by Othen Donald Dale CummingsChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.Fetch by Adam Glendon SidwellBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You? by Dr. Seuss
Toddlers Ages 1-3
116th out of 151 books — 73 voters

More lists with this book...

Eva Leger
Nov 28, 2010 Eva Leger rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: anyone who wants incentive to bash their brains out
Shelves: julias-books
GR wants to know what I think. I'll tell you what I know: I can write a book. Matter of fact, here, I'll do it right now.

Ahem,

"A baby is tired. She's tired like a baby penguin. She's tired like a baby elephant. She's tired like a baby cat. She's tired like a baby dog. Where's my baby?
A baby is tired. She's tired like a baby bird. She's tired like a baby anteater. She's tired like a baby octopus. Where's my damn baby?"

Are you kidding me? Is this really a book? I'm subscribing to the thought t
Tyler Jones
Mar 25, 2014 Tyler Jones rated it really liked it
Shelves: baby-books
Usually it's not a positive review to say "this book put me to sleep" - however this book is an exception. Hard to imagine any baby under fourteen months not going to dreamland right away with this one.
Cornelia
Jul 29, 2010 Cornelia rated it it was amazing
Sleepy, Oh So sleepy is one of those rare books that can be read from infancy up to the toddler age. This would make a great baby shower gift as well. This can be read to a newborn. The pictures are absolutely incredible, all are baby animals sleeping (some or an ostrich, penguin, giraffe, elephant and many more)and on the last pages is a tiny human baby, sleeping with his sock monkey. So cute. The quality of the art work, is fabulous and the book is very soothing. I highly recommend this beauti ...more
Tatiana
Jun 21, 2013 Tatiana rated it really liked it
I have to mention the pulp painting illustrations first, because they are that outstanding. I love that the perspective accounts for the baby animals in relation to their parents. The coloring, the detail, everything is first-rate.

The story itself is rhythmic and follows a simple pattern. All babies, whether human or animal, get sleepy. A sweet concept with lovely presentation.
Melissa Dwyer
Sep 16, 2015 Melissa Dwyer rated it liked it
Originally rated G by Alexis Rentschler
Booklist starred (June 1, 2010 (Vol. 106, No. 19))
Preschool. Although a human baby yawns on the book jacket, this soporific picture book introduces various animals at bedtime on each of the first 12 double-page spreads. The text begins, “Tiny baby panda, / sleepy, oh so sleepy. / Tiny baby ostrich, / sleepy, oh so sleepy. / Tiny baby lion, / sleepy, oh so sleepy. / Where’s my sleepy baby?” On one double-page spread after another, a baby animal closes its ey
Tasha
Jul 13, 2010 Tasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
One sleepy animal after another is shown with the refrain of “sleep, oh so sleepy.” The words form a lulling rocking feel, perfect for bedtime. Every three animals, a line is added: “Where’s my sleepy baby?” It completes the story, drawing the child into the book. The animals are far from barnyard livestock, instead they are anteaters, elephants, koalas, orangutans and many exotic beasts. Fleming’s illustrations are equally soothing with their soft lines and velvety textures. A beautiful bedtime ...more
Cheryl Belt-Jackson
May 01, 2015 Cheryl Belt-Jackson rated it really liked it
Picture Book
babies- to kindergarten
A book o sleepy animals that end with a sleep baby.
You would want to try to stay awake while reading this book. This book provides a wealth of different baby animals with their mothers added in. It finishes with a little baby with it's own mother and a "sock" monkey. Great for day care children before naptime.
Dominique St-pierre
While I like Denise Fleming's artwork in this book, I didn't find the book interesting at all. Being a teacher, I have read lots of books that repeat the same idea over and over. This book repeats of course, but doesn't end in a fun way, in my opinion. The illustrations are good but don't help move the book along in any interesting way.
Karen
Sep 11, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing
My four-year-old son picked out this book from the library yesterday.

This book is like magic. Within an hour after reading this book to my son last night, my hyperactive kid was out like a light -- fastest 60 mph to zero ever. Actually, I was feeling pretty sleepy myself.

This book would be a great baby shower book because it would be a perfect first book for a baby (for the parent to read). It reads like a very simple lullaby. Toddlers would love this book because of the wonderfully colorful a
Ms Threlkeld
Oct 17, 2014 Ms Threlkeld rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The text is a bit repetitive, but that usually appeals to young kids. Good book for introducing different kinds of animals and for lulling a child to sleep. The pictures are also fabulous.
Jenny Sharpe
Dec 13, 2015 Jenny Sharpe rated it really liked it
This book included repetition and would be great for emerging readers. It would be a good bed time story.
Todd
Sep 18, 2010 Todd rated it it was ok
While I realize that I'm not exactly the intended audience for this book, it really fell flat for me. Denise Fleming's art is somewhat polarizing, and I just don't see much appeal in it myself. The animals and their babies are better illustrated than the human baby, whose nose is so poorly rendered as to be laughable. The fairly limited storyline is lullaby-worthy, but gets tiresome quickly. An oddly placed marsupial section of koala-kangaroo-opossum in the middle of the book is also head-scratc ...more
Anna
Nov 01, 2010 Anna rated it really liked it
Title: Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy By Denise Fleming

Summary: A gentle goodnight for all sleepy babies.

Rating: Yes (I didn’t love this title upon first reading but it quickly grew on me.)

Age: 0-1 (maybe 2) years

Pros:

As always Fleming’s illustrations are bright and cheerful, extending well off the page, making this title perfect for large group sharing and story times.
The text is simple, repetitive and lyrical; like a lullaby.
Cons:

The book is perfect for babies and baby story times but it can not easily
Felicia Banks
Mar 13, 2015 Felicia Banks rated it liked it
Effective. This book definitely makes you sleepy.
Used for Baby Animals Storytime October 2010. Would not use again.

The heavy repetition in the text, although almost boring, makes this just right for babies and toddlers, but the pictures, while beautiful, are too abstract for babies to see/comprehend. I used it for storytime, but really prefer something a little more active than this. The illustrations, created by adding pastel pencil accents to the pulp paintings, really are lovely, so maybe this would work as a bedtime book for toddlers or yo
Bridget R. Wilson
All over the world, tiny baby animals are sleepy, oh so sleepy. One by one, they go to sleep.

What I thought: Cute book. I like all the animals. The repetitive text is perfect for the youngest listeners. The illustrations are great--so colorful. Fleming's lines are distinct and yet not. My favorite illustrations are the otter, lion, and possum. This book is perfect for sharing with your own baby.

Rachel G
Jul 30, 2010 Rachel G rated it it was amazing
This is a very sweet bedtime book for babies to toddlers. The animal babies are all so tired and sleepy...and very softly illustrated. The thing I like most about this book is the repetition it contains (Sleepy, of so sleepy) and it engaging the child who's been read to by asking if my baby is sleepy every few pages. An ideal book for bedtime.
The Library Lady
Nov 01, 2010 The Library Lady rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Not my favorite Fleming book--the simple repeated text just isn't enough with her trademark paper art. Still, even less than wonderful Fleming is far more wonderful than most of the stuff out there--she is near the top of my list for "artists the twits on the Caldecott committee always ignore". And this has some potential as a bedtime lap book.
Toby
Dec 13, 2010 Toby rated it really liked it
When you consider how Denise Fleming creates her illustrations by pouring colored cotton fiber through stencils, the quality, detail and beauty of these pictures of babies sleeping, with just a small part of the parent visible, are amazing. I particularly love the 'Tiny baby penguin, sleepy, oh so sleepy.' on his father's feet.
Dolly
Aug 31, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their little ones
This is a simple, soothing book with pulp painting illustrations that are both fuzzy and calming. I recommend this book for parents of babies and toddlers. They will like the interaction, the simple repetitive narrative and the big pictures. Our girls are getting too old for these books, but they enjoyed reading it all by themselves.
Marie
Aug 31, 2010 Marie rated it it was amazing
Even as I read this book to myself I can feel my breathing slowing and deepening. Lots of little ones will be read to sleep with this book, I'm betting. Denise Fleming's illustrations are extraordinary (with the possible exception of the anteater)...big, bold, and beautiful. I may have to own a copy of this just for myself.
Ariel Cummins
Mar 06, 2013 Ariel Cummins rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Simple, repeating text that moves through many different sleepy baby animals before it gets to a sleepy human baby.

The pulp painting illustrations are so bright and vibrant that they make the animals really shine.

The repeating, very easy text would make this great to read to babies!
Erica Nicol
Nov 03, 2011 Erica Nicol rated it really liked it
Lovely illustrations and a very sweet concept. My daughter was enthralled by this book and wanted to read it over and over...for about a week. Then her interest waned, possibly because she recognized my wanting to read this book for what it really was, an attempt to get her to be sleepy, too!
Kristen
Totally using for my Bedtime Storytime. The repetition "sleepy oh so sleepy" after each animal will be simple enough for the two-year-olds to chime in, most animals are familiar enough for kids to call out the names, and it's Denise Fleming with her yummy, large-enough-for-groups-to-enjoy art.
Cathy
Jan 10, 2011 Cathy rated it liked it
This book was okay. It came in 4th in the Salt Lake County Library system for 2010. I guess I am getting old. It was very colorful, but I like my artwork more precise and less fuzzy. Little kids would probably like this as the last book of the night, just before bed.
Sessy
Nov 14, 2012 Sessy rated it liked it
Shelves: baby-storytime
Repetition is a major aspect of early literacy, but I feel this book dragged it out a little too long. The illustrations are great, but not clear enough for a large baby storytime (8 - 20 months). This is probably better suited for reading at home right before bed time.
Danielle
Nov 26, 2012 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Such a simple book but we love it! My three year old daughter kisses the baby animals and asks for it repeatedly. The illustrations are beautiful even the possums are cute. The sleepy oh so sleepy always relaxes me and the little one so a wonderful bed time book!
Janet
Oct 14, 2014 Janet rated it really liked it
Fleming's art is also great to me. She does well with this one depicting the babies up close with their mothers and accurately as the kangaroo is in the pouch, the otter baby on the mother's tummy, etc. Well done with "scientific" accuracy in the illustrations.
Jess Brown
I love the illustrations in this book, as each baby animal we encounter is sleepy, oh so sleepy. The book ends up with a sleepy baby, and it's as simple as that. The repetition and rhythm gives the book a nice, easy pace, making it perfect for little ones.
  • Tuck Me In!
  • Whose Chick Are You?
  • Hello, Day!
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • Please Take Me For a Walk
  • Hello Baby!
  • Time to Sleep, Sheep the Sheep!
  • A Good Day
  • Meeow and the Pots and Pans
  • Old Bear and His Cub
  • Leap Back Home to Me
  • My Farm Friends
Denise Fleming has written and illustrated many children’s picture books, including In the Tall, Tall Grass, Shout! Shout It Out!, and Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy. She won a Caldecott Honor for In the Small, Small Pond. Denise creates her colorful illustrations by pouring colored paper pulp through hand-cut stencils. She lives in Toledo, Ohio.

More about Denise Fleming...