Start by marking “Fifty Famous Stories Retold” as Want to Read:
Fifty Famous Stories Retold

Fifty Famous Stories Retold

No book is better for introducing children ages 6 to 9 to legendary historical figures than this collection of stories admirably retold by James Baldwin at the beginning of the last century. Selecting the best of our literary heritage, Baldwin cast it into a form that delights children of all ages. Beginning with stories of heroes from British history, including King Alfre ...more
Published November 2nd 2005 by Yesterday's Classics (first published 1896)

To ask other readers questions about Fifty Famous Stories Retold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fifty Famous Stories Retold

Akemi G
Jun 08, 2016 Akemi G rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-fiction
Free ebook (here), a collection of very short stories.

Rating books written for children is hard because I am not the target audience any more. Many of these stories carry morals, and we have grown to dislike didactical qualities. Worse, some of the messages are outdated. (I'm sure many parents, as well as their kids, bark at the story of Casabianca.) Stories that are attributed to historical figures may or may not be true.

Yet, these simple stories have been loved over many generations. Try a f
Janelle
Great librivox reader but I didn't enjoy the stories so much. I only persisted with the book because it kept putting me to sleep.
Stephen
Apr 22, 2016 Stephen rated it liked it
First published in 1896, this book was meant as a children's reader. It gave learning readers a chance to practice their skills while acculturating them with many old tales that would allow them to understand common literary references later when they encountered them. Times have moved on and there were a few references that I'd never encountered in my 50+ years of reading as well as many that I'd been familiar with since childhood. More surprisingly there were a couple that added details and fi ...more
Rick Davis
A good book to introduce younger kids (around 6 years old probably) to stories that every child should know. Includes the stories of Horatius Cocles, the 300 Spartans, King Alfred and the Cakes, the Wise Men of Gotham and more.
SchoolinginPajamas
Feb 25, 2015 SchoolinginPajamas rated it liked it
Shelves: ao-year1
My second grader loves these stories. It is often the first book he chooses. The stories are short but packed with information. We've also supplemented with audio of the stories adding a bit more excitement to them.
Caleb
Aug 30, 2014 Caleb rated it it was amazing
These are stories that once upon a time most people at least knew something about, but today most probably know nothing about. Well worth your time to become familiar with them.
Mckinley
Feb 16, 2016 Mckinley rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, non-fiction, biography
Starts with British and Scottish kings and men. Moves to others with a couple of stories about women (3). Even one story about a bell. Some seem more folk tale than real event.
Chris
Jul 13, 2016 Chris rated it really liked it
Quick, enjoyable read mixing real history, myth and legend, and wisdom to be gleaned from both. Aimed at children, but a nice breather for adults.
Stasha
Dec 23, 2014 Stasha rated it really liked it
A collection of English folk tales about kings, knights, Robin Hood. Many of them I had never heard although I had heard the references before.
Jenn
Sep 15, 2014 Jenn rated it really liked it
Good collection of stories, some a bit short but interesting none the less. I enjoyed the more familiar stories particularity, Pocahontas and Robin Hood etc.
Ericka
Some of these stories I didn't know, and some I had heard referred to by other works. But, this particular edition has a hyphenation addiction that made reading it kind of annoying. If you're looking to get some background on some popular stories referenced in older literature, this would be a good book to read though.
Kelly
Jul 23, 2009 Kelly rated it it was amazing
This isn't a book that you would read from front to back, but it has a variety of stories that are often referred to in leterature. (Actually in The Office, the Birtish Version, he referred to the Sword of Damocles. Funny stuff.) My kids have learned from this book and so have I. They are diveded into different countries. We just read the ones on Greece and will read more when we check it out again. Another plus is that the stories are very short so it isn't hard for the kids to sit and listen d ...more
Debbi
May 01, 2015 Debbi rated it liked it
Good retelling for children....
J
Jan 19, 2015 J rated it liked it
Short stories that you have heard referenced somewhere else. Now you know where they came from.
Josh
Nov 11, 2015 Josh rated it really liked it
good, but a weird ending
Clare P
Jan 12, 2014 Clare P rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-read-in-2014
Another wonderful collection of folk tales. I think it is very important and interesting to be aware of folk stories. Entertaining for children and adults alike!
Barbara Lovejoy
Dec 23, 2011 Barbara Lovejoy rated it it was amazing
I don't remember how I learned about this book but I do remember it was by chance. Rather than read the whole book at one time I decided to read a story a day. Each story is only 1-3 pages long. Really enjoyed the stories. These stories would be great to share with students (or one's own children).
Maria
Jan 08, 2012 Maria rated it liked it
Great short famous stories. Some I have heard, Some I have not. I bought the book because many of the stories would be good for talks, or activites or papers, or just quick bed-time stories.
It isn't the fastest read, or best written but most of the stories were worth reading.
Samantha
Jan 13, 2011 Samantha rated it it was amazing
It had a lot of fun adventures. I thought the book was cool. There were lots of different chapters of Kings. I learned that if your not really cared for you might not know how old you are. The kings' sons were the second kings when the other kings died.
Sofia and Francine Dines
The Greek and Roman tales were our favorites. Some of the stories had very flat and one-dimensional characters, and those stories were not so good.
Amber
Sep 30, 2010 Amber rated it liked it
Shelves: school, sy09-10, sy10-11
We enjoyed this compilation of short stories although we read them in historical order instead of from start to finish. We also enjoyed fact checking the stories to find out if they were legend or real. A good read.
Vic
Jan 29, 2009 Vic rated it really liked it
Interesting collection of stories. Most of them I'd never heard before.
Some had a great moral lesson, others were kind of silly. It's worth the read to find the gems. They'd make great bedtime stories!

Anna
Sep 26, 2010 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book can be downloaded at http://www.gutenberg.org
Another great book for new readers. Courageous stories with real heros and heroine, and written before God was taken out of most children books.
Julie
Jan 16, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it
These are mostly stories from Europe history with the kings and noblemen. They are stories of character and growth. Also, will be short and fun to read and discuss with the kids.
Jen Steed
Mar 21, 2015 Jen Steed rated it it was amazing
Wonderful tails that are short and perfect for bedtime stories. My 6-7 year old daughter loves them and some of them even appear in her history text.
Marts  (Thinker)
Oct 03, 2010 Marts (Thinker) rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, audio-books
A collection of 50 tales which have actually been related to many for generations! As I listened there are a few that I remembered.

Available at Librivox.
Lekeshua
Apr 01, 2016 Lekeshua rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-tbr, read-2016
Great stories of people in history. Love the focus on the people and not dates. My children enjoyed and didn't know they were learning "history".
Dawn
Jan 11, 2011 Dawn is currently reading it
I'm really enjoying reading these stories with my 6 year old. Simply read them for an enjoyable story or use them as a spring board to study history.
Chanelle
Oct 05, 2008 Chanelle rated it liked it
Fun classic English stories.

I own a 1896 copy.
Samara
Apr 15, 2016 Samara rated it it was amazing
Storytelling at its best--thoroughly charming.
  • Our Island Story
  • The Burgess Bird Book for Children
  • Parables from Nature
  • Viking Tales (Yesterday's Classics)
  • Trial and Triumph: Stories from Church History
  • Joan of Arc
  • A Child's History of the World
  • The King of the Golden River
  • The Handbook of Nature Study
  • American History Stories You Never Read in School but Should Have (Vol.1)

James Baldwin (1841-1925) was an American editor and author. Largely self-educated, he began teaching at the age of 24. In addition to editing school books, he started writing books of his own. After the publication in 1882 of The Story of Siegfried, he went on to write more
More about James Baldwin...