Start by marking “Children of the Storm” as Want to Read:
Children of the Storm

Children of the Storm (Amelia Peabody #15)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  4,729 ratings  ·  144 reviews
Return once again with "New York Times" bestselling Grand Master Elizabeth Peters to a remarkable land of mystery, deception, and danger, where murderous intrigues swirl in the desert wind. . . .

The Great War has ended at last. No longer must archaeologist Amelia Peabody and her husband, Emerson, the distinguished Egyptologist, fear for the life of their daring son, Ramses
Published May 1st 2003 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Children of the Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Children of the Storm

Trina Morgan
I love historical fiction, and I love series fiction. Ms. Peters (or Mertz, or Michaels) has been an inspiration to me for over a quarter-century.

When I was a very young mother, and had all the time in the world for reading and writing, Ms. Peters' books stimulated my intellect and aroused my imagination. I had no college, and through Vicky Bliss and Amelia Peabody I was inspired to learn who John Donne and Howard Carter were, to read Shakespeare and listen to Handel, and to reach for independen
Diana Suddreth
Every time I read an Emilia Peabody book it's like visiting family. The quirkiness of the characters makes them all so absolutely loveable and the story is always exciting. Emilia and Emerson are still passionate for each other, even as they explore grandparenthood, and Emilia's attitude toward the children is absolutely in keeping with her character...no ridiculous grandmothery sugar here (unless you count cakes at tea to keep the little ones occupied).

It was particularly fun reading this exac
Lisa
Children Of The Storm (Amelia Peabody #15), by Elizabeth Peters
and a for the series as a whole

Synopsis: At last the Great War is over. Amelia, her distinguished Egyptologist husband Emerson and their extended family are preparing for another season of excavation in Egypt. To everyone's great joy their son Ramses and his wife Nefret have become parents. Amelia, enjoying her role of fond (yet firm) grandmother, hopes that for once, this will be a quiet year with Ramses no longer undertaking peri
P.d.r. Lindsay
I read the first Amelia Peabody novel a long time ago. I do not normally read romances, they irritate me. But stroppy 'old' Miss Peabody rescuing Evelyn and then clashing with such obvious deliberate fun with Emerson made for hilarious reading. And Elizabeth Peters was in no danger of getting her historical details or Egyptology wrong. I hate authors who can’t do their research, or only do superficial research.

Over the years novels have followed as the Emerson clan produced children who grew up
Elise
Another solid installment. The schadenfreude of Ramses dealing with precocious children much as he was is delightful. I'm still amazed at Peters' ability to resurrect enemies and how they all bear such incredible grudges that they prepare elaborate plans to try to finally rid the world of the Emersons. Fortunately, the Emersons remain victorious (although they still seem to have not learned some important lessons like, safety in numbers and do not go rushing where angels fear to tread).
Nikki
In my opinion Barbara Mertz, who wrote the Amelia Peabody series as Elizabeth Peters, was an author few could hope to emulate. Her writing style, incredible vocabulary, gift of creating clear pictures, impeccable knowledge of Egypt & detailed research, comedic timing and love of the written word, made every one of her books an escape for me, and a journey into spontaneous laughter. I am gutted that I have completed the entire series, and that she is no longer with us to produce her magic for ...more
Sandra
This is my second Amelia Peabody mystery and I am ready to go back to the used bookstore and find all the rest of them! The author, Elizabeth Peters, has a PhD in Egyptology from the University of Chicago, making the backdrop for the novels convincing and full of fascinating detail. Amelia, of course, is an archeologist married to a dashing archeologist named Radcliffe Emerson. Together with their family and their extended Egyptian family they live and work in Luxor, excavating ancient tombs in ...more
Lynne Tull
Elizabeth Peters never disappoints in this series. Each book is better than the last one. I will soon run out of 'stars'. Amelia and her family are again involved in an attack by a person or persons unknown. Her brother-in-law, Sethos, takes a larger part in the solving of this mystery. There are more and more characters added to the story and you will love them all. I wonder why this story has not made it to the small screen? Another Downton Abbey set in Egypt. Given the present events in Egypt ...more
Carla Hostetter
I've read most of the Amelia Peabody stories and always enjoy the main character, her gruff husband, Emerson, and her now very studly son, Ramses. Somehow I missed this one along the way. World War One had ended and excavations in Egypt can begin again. The extended family gathers to resume work, and it is old home week with even Emerson's half-brother, Sethos showing up along with his actual brother, sister-in-law and several children. Of course, a mystery ensues with Ramses abducted by a woman ...more
Dayna Smith
The fifteenth book in the amazing Amelia Peabody series. The Great War is ended and Egypt is getting back to normal. Nefret and Ramses are back excavating with their parents, along with their twin children. Walter, Evelyn, David, Lia and their children are also joining the party. Several pieces of ancient jewelry are stolen from Cyrus and then the thief is found murdered. Ramses is kidnapped and drugged by a woman dressed as Hathor, and a series of "accidents" begin to occur that set the Emerson ...more
Erin
An Odd1
"Children of the Storm" (Amelia 15) by Elizabeth Peters refers generation weathered by the dark turbulence of WW1, and an Egyptian horoscope predicting trouble. A plethora of Egyptologists has accumulated in the long series, too many blood and marriage relations to the original, large of brain, body and vocabulary, parasol-wielder Amelia Peabody. Her long-winded pompous narrative style, reminiscent of inspiring Sir Henry Rider Haggard (King Solomon's Mines), and after-the-fact premonitions are f ...more
Tracy
What can I say, I'm a fan. These books are fun! In this novel, the characters find new strength by switching up the way they solve the crime. I wasn't sure about it at first, but it had a lasting impact on the characters in a positive way.

The ending of this novel was one of the best in a long time. Good endings seems to be Elizabeth Peter's unique gift. She has a flair for dramatic surprises.

The family has practically exploded. Writing a story with so many main characters is an accomplishment.
Colleen
It has been a while since I picked up an Amelia Peabody novel and while this book is just as fun as the ones that came before it, it didn't grip me as some of the earlier novels have. It might be because I haven't read one of the novels in a while, but there were also too many characters and not a defined threat in this novel to push the plot forward. The middle of the novel dragged except for the few incidents against Daoud and Selim so it took a while to get through. It was a fun read, but jus ...more
Kristen
Another fun, exciting installment of the adventures of the ever-expanding Emerson family!

When the family, now including not only Ramses, Nefret and their two twins, but David and Lia and THEIR two children, plus Sethos, now part of the family too upon his conversion from a life of crime, arrives in Egypt for the new season, they hope - as always - for a season of simple archeological expeditions. Alas, it is not to be.

When Cyrus is the victim of theft of several precious artifacts from the huge
Jenifer
Amelia and Emerson are now grandparents, and though they still want to get out and do their excavating and egyptology, (and solve any mysteries that happen to come along) They have, by now, collected a large entourage of extended family and friends. They have expanded the compound and there are always visitors, children and cats to be dealt with. I love how the family relationships develop in this series, side-by-side with the history of the region and fictional local drama as well.
Barbara ★
Well it's two years since the events in the last installment and Nefret has had her babies and they are on the dig this year in Egypt with the Emerson's extended family - Walter and Evelyn, Lia and David and their two youngsters, and even Sethos and his daughter Molly. This is a family reunion unlike any you could imagine - with murder, mayhem, mysterious events, kidnappings, double-dealings. The whole works - nothing is too great (or small) for the Emersons. I absolutely loved the madcap advent ...more
Anna
Though I hate to slight Peters in any way, this book didn't grab me as quickly as all the others in the series -- perhaps because the archeological themes have more to do with restoration and transport of a previous find rather than new discoveries. In fact, I only got a few pages into my paper copy before others things distracted me for several months. I finally got through it via recording during a holiday road trip.

As a listened-to tale, there were just a handful of places where the story dr
Liz
Children of the Storm is definitely one of my top favorite Amelia Peabody books, and that is definitely saying something, since they're all phenomenal. The mystery, the twists, and the pacing just felt so right with this installment.

Having everyone back again - Walter, Evelyn, David, Lia, etc. - and all the new babies present was just wonderful. The whole cast really just made this book, from top to bottom.

The mystery was fantastic and unexpected. I love when the plots circle back around to pr
Don P
I think this was one of my favorite Amelia Peabody books yet. I loved the introduction of the newest generation, and I also enjoyed seeing old faces reappear such as Sethos--who had a great introduction. I also loved how the entire family banded together to rescue their loved ones at the climax/finale of the book; it was a very tense couple of chapters! Onto the next entry!
Jenn
Another great read from Elizabeth Peters. Amelia Peabody Emerson is one of my most favorite characters in literature (I want to be her when I grow up). She doesn't disappoint in Children of the Storm. One of the major bonuses of this series is learning about the Egyptian culture and Egyptology. I find it especially interesting being set in the early 1900's. It is sad to think of all the unrest that has happened in Egypt since then.

This particular Amelia adventure is more of the same. But the twi
Carol
This was one of my very favorites in this wonderful series. Here is one of my favorite bits of dialogue:

"Deuced lucky," said Bertie, with a broad smile. The brave lad was so pleased with himself that he had actually ventured to interrupt Emerson. "My injury was only a scratch, nothing to speak of, and Nefret said Sethos would be back to normal in a few days. I wouldn't have missed it for the world."

"It did have its moments, didn't it?" I said, returning his smile. "I have always wanted to hear s
Chrisanne
I felt like I was being pulled a million directions with all the old characters and the new ones. Thus my interest and affection for the characters was minimized somewhat. Not that Peters has lost her sense of humor, or her cleverness. It's still there. But it would help to simplify things a bit. Maybe separate the family and have 2 mysteries going on rather than try and remember every little detail. The "additions" to the family circle are endearing and the character growth is believable.

Last p
Melliemom
There really is a lot going on in this book. It also gets to be a lot of fun because there are so many family members around. I had speculated about who the villain who be, but I never could quite put my finger on anything.

I got a laugh in the end when the personalities of the children became apparent.

In previous books Sethos seemed to come back to life more than once and after this book, I began to wonder if that might happen to the villain in this book. I wouldn't be too surprised if it surfa
Rach
I really enjoyed this volume of the Emersons' adventures. Finally, the war is over! And there are babies, and the whole family is back together in Egypt again. It's still kind of strange to think of Amelia and Emerson as being old enough to be grandparents - in my head, they are still in their 30s, full of youth and vitality. And I hope that view of them never changes, because deep down, that is who they are, regardless of the passing of time.

The mystery of this book was intriguing and windy, wi
Vinny Pauletti
Excellent addition to the Peabody Series

As usual Ms. Peter's delivers an action-packed novel drawing her reader into the early 20th century of Egypt. Whether it's running through the streets of Cairo or amongst the tombs of ancient ruins, Peter's storytelling never gets old and keeps her reader guessing along with the characters until the very end. Looking forward to her next novel in the series.
Karen
Meredith
Finally, everyone is there, not only the core family, but David and Lia and children, Evelyn and Walter, and Ramses and Nefret's children.

And their past is wreaking havoc on their present - all with a slew of children under foot.

For a while, the mystery is as confusing to me as it is to the family, however, as pieces do fall into place, it does make sense. And certainly continues to have some truly laugh out loud moments.

For the last several novels, their ending both allows for more to be writte
Bonnie
Another entertaining, fast moving mystery involving the family of Egyptologists in the late 18th century. Lots of information about archeology, Ancient Egypt and the interactions between Britain and Egypt at the time it takes place.
Emily
I loved this book. I received this book as a gift, but I'm glad I went back and read the other books in the series first before reading this one because it wouldn't have made much sense otherwise. It's like a big family gathering, chaotic and cozy. As a reader I just want to be a part of this family. One of my favourite bits was an argument between Emerson and Amelia. Emerson exclaims, "You always win". I had to laugh because my husband says that to me too.

The story itself was good and the plot
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled (Mrs. Pollifax 14)
  • Patriot's Dream
  • A Monstrous Regiment of Women (Mary Russell, #2)
  • The Holy Thief (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #19)
  • Jane and His Lordship's Legacy (Jane Austen Mysteries, #8)
Elizabeth Peters is a pen name of Barbara Mertz. She also writes as Barbara Michaels as well as her own name. Born and brought up in Illinois, she earned her Ph.D. in Egyptology from the University of Chicago. Mertz was named Grand Master at the inaugural Anthony Awards in 1986 and Grand Master by the Mystery Writers of America at the Edgar Awards in 1998. She lived in a historic farmhouse in Fred ...more
More about Elizabeth Peters...

Amelia Peabody (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs (Amelia Peabody, #2)
  • The Mummy Case (Amelia Peabody, #3)
  • Lion in the Valley  (Amelia Peabody, #4)
  • The Deeds of the Disturber (Amelia Peabody, #5)
  • The Last Camel Died at Noon (Amelia Peabody, #6)
  • The Snake, the Crocodile and the Dog (Amelia Peabody, #7)
  • The Hippopotamus Pool (Amelia Peabody, #8)
  • Seeing a Large Cat (Amelia Peabody, #9)
  • The Ape Who Guards the Balance (Amelia Peabody, #10)
Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1) The Curse of the Pharaohs (Amelia Peabody, #2) The Last Camel Died at Noon (Amelia Peabody, #6) Lion in the Valley  (Amelia Peabody, #4) The Mummy Case (Amelia Peabody, #3)

“The sun is born again from the womb of night,” he said. “See how the light spreads, remaking the world.” 0 likes