Start by marking “Time After Time” as Want to Read:
Time After Time

Time After Time

In 1979 Karl Alexander burst upon the literary world with a brash, exciting novel with a unique concept: H. G. Wells, the famous, bestselling author of such sensations as The Time Machine and War of the Worlds had actually invented a time machine.

When Wells showed it off to his famous friends—such as Henry James, Ford Madox Ford and other literary lights of 1893 London, he
Published February 2nd 2010 by Forge Books (first published September 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Time After Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time After Time

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~*
Jul 02, 2011 Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* rated it it was amazing
Shelves: time-travel
I picked this up at a library sale and thought it looked interesting as it had all the kinds of reads I like in one book.A combination of romance,time-travel,suspense,sci-fi, and a touch of "horror" which is not my thing,but heck 4 out of 5 cant be bad,Im game.
1893 is the year,and H.G. Wells science enthusiast and a writer, invents a time-machine while researching his first novel. He gathers his old friends & classmates over to his house to let them in on his newest invention. Of course they
Lawyer
Dec 28, 2011 Lawyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Lawyer by: Nicholas Meyers through his film of the same title
TIME AFTER TIME, Or, a case of Serendipity

As one deeply southern friend of mine might say, I am a "threat and a hazard" to hit a tag, garage, yard, or estate sale. Being a book lover which means I possess not one degree of shame, if I don't see a book at one of the aforementioned types of sales, I'll ask the seller might he or she have any books I might look at they might be willing to part with.

Sometimes, I'm met with a scowl and curt no. On other occasions, I get the curiously raised eye brow
Norav
Aug 24, 2016 Norav rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Un très bon début mais je n'ai pas réussi à accrocher aux personnages
Frank
Jun 13, 2015 Frank rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I always enjoy time travel novels and this one was better than most. Of course, this was made into a movie shortly after it was written in 1979 and it remains one of my favorite films from that time period. The movie pretty much follows the book where H.G. Wells must follow Jack the Ripper to 1979 San Francisco to try to prevent him from continuing his evil crime spree. However, when Wells makes it to 1979, he falls in love with Amy Robbins and must protect her from the diabolical ripper. And 19 ...more
Will
May 17, 2016 Will rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, scifi
Quite a fun, quick, and easy read.

We follow a fictional version of H.G. Wells chasing his 'friend' who he discovers is Jack the Ripper. Jack steals Wells time machine, makes his way to 1979 San Francisco and Wells follows suit. Hijinks ensue.

It was enjoyable to see a man from the late 1800s react to life in the late 1900s. Much has changed obviously. Wells tries to find Jack the Ripper as he starts killing women in SF, which also provided backstory to white 'Jack' kills women. There's also a lo
Spenser Barranco
Mar 15, 2017 Spenser Barranco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Such a great book. Just like with the movie, we see H.G. Wells' thoughts on the modern world and experiencing the culture shock of a 19th century man in the late 20th century. Leslie Stephenson as Jack the Ripper didn't have that much motivation for his actions, but he makes up for it by being exceptionally creepy and charismatic. Their interactions and cat&mouse aspects are the meat of the book and completely keeps you engaged. The book and movie are incredibly similar to each other. Howeve ...more
Sonja Isaacson
Book club notes
Initial circle reviews:
D: K summed it up best when he said it was "So easy to put down." The book was frustrating because it had some good ideas, but every time it had the chance to get better, it chose to get worse. There were many, many bad decisions by the writer.
S: It started bad and just kept getting worse and worse.
E: Was interested in how it would end, but many sections reminded her of "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure." She would give it two stars.
JW: It had the potentia
P.A. Pursley
I picked up this book to read because I had seen the movie. It was a good movie and I wanted to see if the movie followed the book. I've only seen the movie once so I cannot remember the details but the book was amazing! Such a well-written piece of literature! This is Karl Alexander's first book and it was written in 1979. I thoroughly enjoyed it as did my husband.

The story is about H.G. Wells and his invention of the time machine. He prides himself on the piece of technological genius when he
Merlin
Aug 30, 2012 Merlin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
"Whoosh" After pronouns and articles the most common word in the book but anywho...

It is impossible to consider this book in isolation from the film with the same name since they linked. One is not adapted from the other, or so I understand it, but rather they were produced simultaneously from a common outline ala 2001. They stand up well to the comparison if you like the one you'll like the other; there are differences in detail but not substance. But these differences are somewhat interesting.
Mathieu
Jul 29, 2011 Mathieu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roman très sympa dont l’argument de départ est le suivant : H. G. Wells présente à quelques amis son invention, la machine à voyager dans le temps. L’un de ces amis est en réalité le tristement célèbre Jack l’éventreur et va utiliser la machine de Wells pour partir dans le futur ! S’engage alors une poursuite entre Wells et l’éventreur…

Toute l’intelligence du récit tient au fait que Wells est en réalité l’auteur de La machine à voyager dans le temps, ainsi qu’au décalage entre la mentalité victo
Ross Armstrong
This is a novel that was produced in conjuntion with the terrific film of the same name that starred Malcolm McDowell and David Warner.
It opens in 1893 with H. G. Wells holding a party to show everyone the actual time machine that he had built while researching his famous story. Unbeknownst to him, one of his close friends is actually Jack The Ripper. When he is discovered, Jack flees through time to the 1980s. Wells follows and realizes that Jack is more suited to this future than Wells. A real
Samantha
Jun 19, 2011 Samantha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This isn't fair but I'm only giving this two stars because, I saw the movie years ago and absolutely loved it. I only recently found out it was originally a book and thought great I'd love to read more about the characters etc. Well I'm afraid if that is what you want then like me you are going to be sorely disappointed. If you've seen the movie then you've read the book. Unusual for Hollywood but they practically hardly changed anything. So I'm disappointed because I didn't learn anything new. ...more
Patrice Leonard
Apr 13, 2011 Patrice Leonard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un livre à étages multiples: au rez de chaussée, une histoire romantique qui fleure bon le XIXème alors qu'au premier un récit policier palpitant et bien mené nous prend au jeu de l'angoisse. Finalement, dans les malles du grenier, la confrontation des morales, celle du XIXème face à celle du XXème, celle de l'humaniste face à celle du criminel, celle de la science face à celle de la vie. Toutes jetées en pâture comme les chemises de nos grands-pères au fond des malles d'un autre temps. Pas de p ...more
Ricky
Jan 02, 2010 Ricky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I took this book on holiday after my brothers recommendation, the story was engaging funny and also quite thought provoking. This book is such an entertaining read and very well written, it captured the Victorian and modern day perspectives and differences so well. I laughed out loud at some parts of HG Wells thoughts and actions and felt quite shocked when the story went into Jack the Ripper's thoughts and logic. Karl Alexander has written a clever creative mini masterpiece. Be prepared to be s ...more
The other John
In 1893, H.G. Wells builds a time machine. Jack the Ripper steals it and travels to 1979 San Francisco. Wells then feels obliged to follow and bring the escaped killer to justice. It's a dumb concept, but Mr. Alexander makes an entertaining tale of it. He paints a believable picture of a temporal cross-cultural experience as Wells (and to a lesser extent, Jack) attempts to traverse 1979 San Francisco, fraught with 1893 Victorian assumptions and biases.
Jafar
Jan 10, 2015 Jafar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
H.G Wells travels into the future to stop Jack The Ripper from causing havoc in 1970's LA and bring him back to their 19th century London, after the ripper stole Well's time machine and sent himself to the future on discovering his murdering days are over and the police were on his tail.

Science-Fiction, romance, humour and suspense - this novel by Karl Alexander makes an enjoyable reader. I personally loved this book and was glad it was the first book I read since more than ten years ago.
Loki
Nov 07, 2015 Loki rated it it was ok
An odd work. One gets the impression that the author's reach exceeded his grasp. The book reflects an infatuation with the idea of clashing values systems, but only in a fairly superficial way, and the plot lurches from side to side like a drunkard. Recommended only if you're truly obsessive about time travel, HG Wells and/or Jack the Ripper.
Nalle42
Nov 11, 2011 Nalle42 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookcrossing, 2012
Även om man redan innan kan räkna ut något av slutet då två av huvudperssonerna är H.G. Wells och Amy Robins är boken intressant och även om jag fastnade nog mer för beskrivningarna av hur Wells och Stepesson hanterade framtiden än den egentliga historien Wells jakt på Stepensson så tycker jag att boken var både bra och väl värd att lägga tid på.
So...it's easy to put down. This book oddly motivated me to do anything else other than read it, BUT also had just enough interesting things to make me wonder how it would end. The premise is an interesting idea that is poorly executed. It's been quite a while since I have read a book with erections mentioned so frequently.
Mike
I'd read on Tors website that this was a good time travel book. It was okay, but almost what I'd imagine a romance novel, with some drama thrown in, would be. It was written well enough to keep me turning pages. Okay but not great.
Matt
Sep 11, 2012 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cool premise of H.G. Wells chasing Jack the Ripper in 1970s San Francisco. THis was a decent book, though at times the plot was overtaken by expected adjustment of time travelers to the new surroundings.
Anthony Faber
Cute idea, poorly executed. A better writer might have done something worth reading with it. I was also put off by his not realizing that you can't go west on Grant Avenue (although at least he didn't call it Grant Street) and Van Ness Avenue, because they are north/south streets.
Saoirse
Très très bon roman qui m'a tenu en haleine jusqu'au bout! Du suspens, de l'aventure, de l'humour, de l'horreur aussi un peu... Et quelques petites réflexions sur l'état du XX° siècle. Vraiment génial.
Sean Randall
This was a bit of rollicking fun, and no mistake. I didn't fully feel as submerged in the landscape as I have with other authors, some of the language wasn't, at times, there. But the story was enjoyable and I found myself enjoying it, that's all I can really say!
Riversue
Mar 12, 2014 Riversue rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story - lots of action - good pace but this is an old story - 1979 so the POV jumped all overthe place and as sci fi it didn't age well.
Everton Patterson
May 31, 2010 Everton Patterson rated it liked it
H.G. Wells secretly invents a time machine and pursues Jack the Ripper to 1979 where hijinks ensue. Good read.
Susan
Oct 27, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jack the Ripper grabs H.G. Wells' time machine and winds up in San Francisco in 1979. That was good enough for me. I was hooked from the pitch, and he delivered. Fun.
Susan
Jan 16, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club, 2012
made into a movie

What would happen if Jack the Ripper stole H.G. Wells' time machine and was loose in 1979?
Pinky
Feb 16, 2012 Pinky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I was lucky to find this book in a little second hand book store and gave it a try because I

enjoyed the movie so much. The book was better. suspense, romance & a little sci-fi.

great stuff.
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Contemporary YA: Time after Time Books into TV 2 7 Jun 26, 2016 09:18AM
  • Thrice Upon a Time
  • We're All Monsters
  • Paratime
  • A Scientific Romance
  • The Innocent Spy (DI Ted Stratton, #1)
  • Don't Leave Me This Way
  • When There is Hope
  • Aftermirth
  • Journey to Yesterday (Yesterday, #1)
  • This Time Forever
  • Body and Soul
  • Timeswept Bride
  • Walt and Skeezix, Vol. 1: 1921-1922
  • Blood Echoes
  • The Angel & the Outlaw
  • Notes From The Firehouse: Seventeen Firefighting Stories From A Retired Firefighter
  • Circles in Time