Start by marking “Discover Thailand” as Want to Read:
Discover Thailand

Discover Thailand (Lonely Planet Discover)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  253 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Experience The Best of Thailand
Make the most of your trip abroad Lonely Planet s full color Discover guides highlight the best a country has to offer while still providing an authentic and memorable experience.
Full Color Thr
Published April 1st 2010 by Lonely Planet Publications

To ask other readers questions about Discover Thailand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Discover Thailand

Katelyn
Less practical information than the other LP Thailand book, but with beautiful, trip-inspiring color photos throughout!
Nana Hadji
It does cover the basics, but I would never EVER take any Lonely Planet information for granted without double and triple checking it online from other sources. In my opinion all travel guidebooks should be conducted with the assistance of locals to eliminate mistakes and gaps. After reading Lonely Planet Cyprus (I'm Cypriot), I realized that this is not the case (lots of mistakes a local would never make, lots of important info missing) and since then I'm more skeptical about anything I read in...more
Kate
Apr 26, 2013 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: travel
I think of this series as Lonely PLanet-lite. Rather than the dense type of the usual Lonely Planet (and the comprehensive coverage) this series really focuses on "the best of" a region for those of us planning a trip and trying to decide where to go. It's a good tactic, especially for a certain kind of traveller who maybe has more money than a backpacker but less time: you really want advice on where to go and will not have time for a spontaneous make-it-up-as-you-go trip. This series was new w...more
Tammy Mckeever
I enjoyed it but when visiting my "kids" in Thailand they notes that much of the information was not accurate, at least in their area of Thailand. On the other hand I was able to share a lot of information they didn't know and that was fun for us all!
Michelle Koen
The last few Lonely Planet books I've used have been a bit disappointing. Their recommendations seemed very average and the maps only moderately useful. We also found the that the walking tours where a lot of tramping around without much explanation.

Their explanation of the Thai language was helpful, however there were 3 different sections of the book we had to refer to depending on whether the phrases were food related (at the front), general inquiry (3/4 the way through) or glossary terms (in...more
Jorge Pelicano Paulos
A beautiful country which definitely deserves at least a visit during a lifetime. This guide, however, shows up with some mistakes, reason why I always had to double-check its information before leaving to a specific place. Have in mind, though, that doing a personal research about specific details on Thailand transportations or attractions may be difficult and challenging.
Lramesh
Thailand is a fascinating country, which I always like to return. The people are always smiling! I picked up this book, though I have no plans of travel. Just to understand the culture more and relive my travels. Here are some of my comments of this country:

Löki Gale
Well...what can I say. It is a guide book.

Firstly, any guide book is going to have holes and of course, this one did. Nothing too big and nothing I could not figure out on my own, but after waking up at 5 a.m. to catch a supposed 6 a.m. ferry (and finding out that it did not start until 7:30) was a bit frustrated.

Overall, a great guide for a even greater country.
Monica DiNatale
There is tons of useful information in this Thailand book. Most things in Thailand are reasonably priced so it was very helpful to have recommendations of hotels and restaurants. The street food is amazing! The maps are soooo helpful when looking for a beautiful beach to check out. I picked Phuket. I am so happy they gave me the advice to take a cooking class too.
Melissa
[2011.12.07] Used 2010 1st Edition to brainstorm where we might travel in Thailand during our Nov-Dec 2011 trip (had already been to Bangkok before). Great for the photographs and overviews (and some detail). Good for pre-trip planning but too hefty to actually bring on a trip (printed on thick paper in full color).
Nathan Eckman
I have yet to go fact check any of their reviews and sources by visiting Thailand. But again, Lonely Planey is the ultimate travel source. It will show ya a bit of everything, even local "need to know's".
Donna
A useful and helpful guide to Thailand, although I find the Thailand edition doesn't give as good directions for taking transport between cities as other countries versions have done before.
Catherine Woodman
Excellent series of guidebooks with a n emphasis not just on the big cities, and expensive restaurants but to more affordable and unusual destinations.
Melissa
[2011.12.07] Used 2009 13th Edition to plan the Chiang Mai portion of our Nov-Dec 2011 trip (approx 3 days). Though a little outdated, it was sufficient.
Jana Kaplan
I borrowed it from the library, and it convinced me that i need to go to thailand :)
Toot
واو ... تايلند من المدن التي استمتع بقراءة معلوماتها ...

لا يفوووووووتكم ...!!
Kalua80
I loved all the pictures and the writing style.
♥Xeni♥
Read this for my trip to Thailand.
Taxmokkk Boonchot
Oct 04, 2007 Taxmokkk Boonchot rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: very well
ahh ahh! read it by yourself
Justina Staniulyte
Justina Staniulyte marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Ingo
Ingo marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Jason Young
Jason Young marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Jason Young
Jason Young marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Lisa
Lisa is currently reading it
Oct 02, 2014
Dtailsmits
Dtailsmits marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
  • Cambodia
  • Lonely Planet: India
  • Wanderlust and Lipstick: The Essential Guide for Women Traveling Solo
  • Australia
  • Italy
  • New Zealand
  • Lonely Planet: China
  • The Rough Guide First-Time Around the World: A Trip Planner for the Ultimate Journey
  • 101 Places Not to See Before You Die
  • Danziger's Travels: Beyond Forbidden Frontiers (Paladin Books)
  • Lonely Planet: Japan
  • Tony Wheeler's Bad Lands (Lonely Planet)
  • Paddle to the Amazon: The Ultimate 12,000-Mile Canoe Adventure
  • Thailand
  • Paris
  • The Wine Bible
  • Travel Photography: A Guide to Taking Better Pictures
  • The New York Times. 36 Hours. 125 Weekends in Europe
Lonely Planet: Southeast Asia on a shoestring The Asia Book: A Journey Through Every Country in the Continent Lonely Planet Thailand's Islands & Beaches City Walks: Boston: 50 Adventures on Foot Ko Samui Encounter