Start by marking “Evidence Explained: Citing History Sources from Artifacts to Cyberspace” as Want to Read:
Evidence Explained: Citing History Sources from Artifacts to Cyberspace

Evidence Explained: Citing History Sources from Artifacts to Cyberspace

4.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  179 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
History is not just a collection of documents-- and all records are not created equal. To analyze and decide what to believe, we also need certain facts about the records themselves.
Hardcover, Second Edition, 885 pages
Published October 31st 2009 by Genealogical Publishing Company (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Evidence Explained, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evidence Explained

Michael Mendenhall
You don't exactly "read" this book. It's massive for sure. If you're a serious genealogist, you probably already own this book. I like books that talk about documentation and evidence. This author obviously has a high appreciation for it. Read the introductory material. It's terrific.
Jan
Jul 12, 2015 Jan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
This is not a book you read from cover to cover. That said, the recommendation is to read the first two chapters thoroughly, which I feel was a good use of my time. The remainder of the book is a well-organized, well-thought out presentation of how to cite various sources of information - those written, digital, audio, and online. There are excellent explanations of why certain parts of a citation are placed where they are and how they are and numerous wonderful examples. Though I have only begu ...more
Jeremy
Oct 21, 2010 Jeremy rated it really liked it
Shelves: genealogy
Evidence Explained is the expanded version of Evidence! Citation & Analysis for the Family Historian , also written by Ms. Mills. It is an exhaustive style guide dealing with citations for history and genealogical research.

Even though the opening chapters were basically a revision of Evidence!, they weren't as readable as that book. I think this was because of the style guide formatting, with numbered sections.

However, for anyone who would like to cite images on a webserver or books on micr
Tom
Aug 27, 2014 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genealogy
This is an excellent citation manual. Those who have used the Chicago Manual of Style or Turabian will find this work has many similarities, but it is geared to the genealogist. Of the over 800 pages most of it is on the theory of citing with extensive excellent examples. The first chapter covers the elements of evidence for genealogists. It is a must have for citing.
DearMYRTLE
Dec 17, 2007 DearMYRTLE rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I purchased two copies of this book, one to mark and one to keep in "great" condition.

I am underlining, circling, adding sticky notes and such to assist in assimilating what Mrs. Mills has put forth in this definitive work.
Kathryn
Jul 09, 2010 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is THE go-to book for all genealogists!
Deborah Sweeney
Mar 09, 2015 Deborah Sweeney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genealogy-books
A staple for any genealogy library. It should be one of the top ten books in any genealogist's collection.
Tanya
Apr 12, 2012 Tanya rated it really liked it
Shelves: genealogy, i-own-it
I am so glad to have this reference book on my shelf now! I will use it for every lineage report, proof summary, and client report I ever write from here on out.

How do I cite an entry from an online indexed database extracted from a microfilm copy of an original parish register held at a County Records office? This book will tell me. Genealogical reference citations are so complex, you need a specialized guide to tell you how to correctly document sources.

My one caveat - I wish it were easier to
Tina
Feb 10, 2015 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, reference, genealogy
I've read the first part of this book and found the descriptions of the types of evidence to be very educational. Since reading that first section, I've referred back to it several times when I'm evaluating a piece of evidence for my family history.

This is a great reference book for family history source citation. Every time I cite a source I flip to the appropriate section of the book and follow the examples given which most closely resemble the type of evidence that I have.
Denielle
Apr 09, 2015 Denielle marked it as to-read
Shelves: default
Whether you're a professional or amateur genealogist, this book is for you. It spells out in detail how to meticulously cite every source you use in your research from the standard to the obscure. With careful citation, you won't have to worry about coming across information at some point in the future and wondering where on earth you found it.
Richard
May 15, 2016 Richard rated it it was amazing
Quite a reference book here, and it's quite a useful reference guide for the Chicago manual citation. This is a book for genealogists who need to prove their evidences with thorough citation that Elizabeth Mills provides here.
I only read selected chapter for the genealogy class that I am taking at Brigham Young University.
Jillian
Nov 14, 2009 Jillian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've used this as a reference guide for more of my post-college work than any other textbook I was made (umm, I mean that I wanted) to read for class. Definitely a good overview for genealogical source records and how to reference them.
David L Fleer
Jul 08, 2014 David L Fleer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent reference for citing sources in family history research. Every serious genealogist should have a copy and use it.
Marfy
Sep 25, 2014 Marfy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all researchers
This book is the bible for citations, and for simply understanding the nature of the sources you rely on. This is a book you lean on.
Jim
Dec 15, 2014 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Indispensable resource for crafting citations. For hard-core family historians only.
Kathy
May 23, 2013 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genealogy
How did I ever survive without this book?! Every genealogist needs this in hand.
Stephanie Lincecum
Jun 13, 2011 Stephanie Lincecum rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Easy to follow citation reference. It has a permanent home on my desk!
Pam Shelton-anderson
Jun 09, 2012 Pam Shelton-anderson rated it really liked it
Shelves: genealogy, reference
Outstanding reference for anyone doing genealogy or historical research
Darren
Mar 31, 2012 Darren rated it it was amazing
Great resource book for writing citations in genealogical research.
Kathryn
Aug 11, 2012 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genealogy
This is a MUST-HAVE book for anyone who doing their family history.
Janelle V.
This is a vital resource for accurate genealogical citation.
Cat von Hassel-Davies
Nov 22, 2013 Cat von Hassel-Davies rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend for your genealogical library
Lori
Jan 02, 2008 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: genealogists and historians
Essential title for citing sources.
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Lauconn
Lauconn rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2016
Parker Childers
Parker Childers marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Yvonne
Yvonne rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2016
Dirk van de Rijt
Dirk van de Rijt marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Brenda Gray
Brenda Gray marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Kathy M Kovach
Kathy M Kovach is currently reading it
Aug 03, 2016
  • The BCG Genealogical Standards Manual
  • Researcher's Guide to American Genealogy
  • The Source: A Guidebook of American Genealogy
  • Mastering Genealogical Proof
  • The Family Tree Problem Solver: Proven Methods for Scaling the Inevitable Brick Wall
  • They Came in Ships: A Guide to Finding Your Immigrant Ancestor's Arrival Record
  • Trace Your Roots with DNA: Using Genetic Tests to Explore Your Family Tree
  • Your Guide to Cemetery Research
  • Advanced Genealogy Research Techniques
  • Unpuzzling Your Past
  • Shaking the Family Tree: Blue Bloods, Black Sheep, and Other Obsessions of an Accidental Genealogist
  • Genealogy Online for Dummies
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Genealogy
  • Guide to DNA Testing: How to Identify Ancestors, Confirm Relationships, and Measure Ethnic Ancestry through DNA Testing
  • Finding Family: My Search for Roots and the Secrets in My DNA