Start by marking “Tomorrow's Magic (Omnibus)” as Want to Read:
Tomorrow's Magic (Omnibus)

Tomorrow's Magic (New Magic Trilogy #1-2)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  276 ratings  ·  24 reviews
It's 500 years after the nuclear holocaust that devastated the earth's population and left the few survivors dealing with unending winter. At their remote British boarding school, Wellington Jones and Heather McKenna
have a lot in common. Both are misfits trying to avoid attention, and both are fascinated by Earl, a tall, calm, older boy with no recollection of his past, bu
Published April 23rd 2009 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Tomorrow's Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tomorrow's Magic

Keturah and Lord Death by Martine LeavittThe Dark Lord of Derkholm by Diana Wynne JonesSorcery & Cecelia by Patricia C. WredeSummers at Castle Auburn by Sharon ShinnThe Seer and the Sword by Victoria Hanley
Hidden Gems: YA-Fantasy Novels
309th out of 1,140 books — 2,865 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsSpeak by Laurie Halse AndersonThe Giver by Lois Lowry
YAsaves
418th out of 442 books — 274 voters

More lists with this book...

Monica!
Okay, seriously. How in the name of all that’s good, could you take a amazing plot like “500 years after a devastating nuclear apocalypse wipes most of the world off the map, Arthur Pendragon returns to reunite Britain” and make it so freaking boring??

It starts off okay, all snow-covered wastelands and antique shops pawning incredibly rare Styrofoam cups and skies that are actually tinged with blue instead of being, you know, The-World-Has-Been-Nuked gray. Our geeky heroine Heather is a prolific
Stephanie
This story got off to a pretty good start. After that it was vaguely entertaining. I felt that the plot didn't reall seem to have a point. The story just wandered around. I kept reading because I felt it really had potential, it just never quite seemed to reach that potential.
Paige
It was very imaginative and very funny in parts. It was well- developed and I hope to read more of this author's books.
Melissa
Did you ever wonder what happened to Merlin after that sneaky Nimue locked him up in a rock? And when will King Arthur wake from his magic sleep in Avalon? This book answers these questions with a surprise twist in a post-Nuclear-destruction Britain. Children from a boarding school in Wales help Merlin with his quest to wake King Arthur. On the way, the wicked Morgan Le Fay resurfaces, and mythical creatures, good and bad, begin to return, as humans try to make the world better, without launchin ...more
Lynn
Now this is an inspiring book for magic, and I absolutely admire it.

The book these characters are from takes place a 5 centuries in the future. London was the center of an immense nuclear bomb, and it killed probably a lot more than 20,000,000 living and non-living things. Most of Europe's continent, probably the whole world went back to the older ways-like lighting candles, and maybe lower quality buildings. This is the background of this book.

Magic (power) comes back to the world, taking plac
Lily
When I got this book, I was a little confused about the title and the size of the book itself. I had read Tomorrow's Magic already and this looked a LOT bigger than what I remembered it to be. That's because THIS Tomorrow's Magic is actually volumes 1 and 2 together, Winter of Magic's return and Tomorrow's Magic. ...The real Tomorrow's Magic, book 2. Personally, I wished this collection of the two stories was called something else rather than its second book's name, but whatevs.

Both stories are
Patricia - Lady with Books
Pamela Service’s writing is good but not fantastic. The second book in the series is just a good as the first, meaning both end up being okay. Both books share a slow start and things don’t really start happening until the latter half. I think I read the New Magic Series mostly because of my obsession with anything Arthurian but someone else might find the books lackluster. The copy of the book I have has a funny cover. Morgan Le Fay is described to be a beautiful woman in the story but the woma ...more
Maya Rock
Yay! I'm so happy this got republished. Sequel to WINTER OF MAGIC'S RETURN. Britain after being devastated by a nuclear attack sees the return of King Arthur, Merlin et al. Also King Arthur makes up with Guinevere I believe. Two scrappy kids assist, Heather and Welly (I am pretty sure this is what his name is.) This is an amazing book, I wish had a more clear memory of what actually happens but I thought the medievalesque world that emerged after the nuclear devastation seemed really plausible. ...more
Elzbeth
Alex
There are so many Arthurian books that add very little new insight into the legend, that I usually skip right over them. But there was something really appealing about the premise of this book which is set around 500 years in the future of a world that is trying to survive after a nuclear holocaust. Although several key figures play roles in Tomorrow's Magic (Arthur, Morgan, Merlin)Service does a fantastic job weaving the story through the friendship of Welly, Heather and Earl. The right mix of ...more
Azar
Feb 22, 2008 Azar rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves a good YA or Arthurian fantasy
The first time I read this book, I was twelve years old and I'd rescued it from a box of my uncle's discards at the estate sale for my late grandmother. I fell in love with it at once, and it's lost none of its charm over the years. This hardcover omnibus edition compiles both that first book--Winter of Magic's Return--and its sequel, Tomorrow's Magic, into a single volume but the best thing about it is that this one won't fall apart as quickly as my paperbacks did from constant rereading!
Susanna
This used to be one if my favorite books! I've always been bummed out it's so obscure and not many people have read it.
Teen'scape Kitzmann
Like Amanda, I wish Goodreads had a half star rating.
Here's the thing-I first read these when I was in middle school, and I think I have a soft spot for them. However, reading these with adult eyes, it is at best a mediocre two books.
But the conceit, of a Merlin and Arthur coming back after a nuclear holocaust and working to make the world better.
Michelle Ross
Tomorrow's Magic is a tale of King Arthur. The world is in ruins as humans have nuked themselves back to tougher times. Only King Arthur, who has been kept alive, young, and well in Avalon, can unite the shires to fight against an evil that threatens to take over earth.
Angela
Nov 09, 2010 Angela added it
An exciting re-make of the famous Legend of Merlin and King Arthur. This book takes place WAY in the future when frogs become extinct and humankind struggle to survive in the mutant-infested land. Fantasy+adventure+romance all in one!
Petra Be
What a great story, set in the future, 500 years after a nuclear blast that sent our world to hell... well, almost. Apparently there's always hope for us humans. Great story of the power of friendship.
Rad
Another one by a local author. I found this one particularly engaging and inventive, as it combines science fiction and fantasy. Unfortunately, Welly doesn't get nearly as much development as Heather.
Betsy
Aw, it's great. Wish I had time to review it but I don't. Post-apocalyptic Merlin tales could go real bad read fast. This one holds together and makes for a wonderful read. Highly recommended.
R4
This first half was boring, but okay. The second half was shadowed by the impending triumph of the heterosexual agenda. I won't be reading the third book.
Clare K. R.
I'm very disappointed to be disappointed in this book. I mean, post-apocalyptic Arthuriana! But I just didn't like it.
alison
i can't believe i read this book and liked it. i mean, are there unicorns? who am i?
Brooke
Merlin comes back as a 14 year old in post-Devestation England.
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
K
K marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Sara Ghoul
Sara Ghoul marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
  • Guardian of the Green Hill
  • The Fire King (The Invisible Order, #2)
  • The Silver Door (Moon & Sun, #2)
  • Shadow Falling (Avatars, #2)
  • The Monsters of Morley Manor: A Madcap Adventure
  • Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh (Theodosia Throckmorton, #4)
  • A Practical Guide to Monsters (Practical Guides)
  • Merlin and the Dragons
  • The Weavers of Saramyr (Braided Path, #1)
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • The Lost Barkscrolls
  • Empire of Ruins (The Hunchback Assignments, #3)
  • Soul Stealer (The Alchemist's Son #2)
  • Ravenwood (Ravenwood #1)
  • Ottoline at Sea. Chris Riddell
Born in Berkeley, California, Pamela F. Service grew up loving to hear, read, and tell stories - particularly about weird stuff. Pamela earned a BA in Political Science from UC Berkeley followed by an MA in history and archaeology from the University of London.

She spent many years living in Bloomington, Indiana, writing, serving on the city council, and being curator of a history museum. She has
More about Pamela F. Service...
Reluctant God Winter of Magic's Return Being of Two Minds Stinker from Space Yesterday's Magic