Start by marking “Ubik” as Want to Read:
Ubik

Ubik

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  53,458 Ratings  ·  2,683 Reviews
z posłowia Stanisława Lema do pierwszego wydania Ubika:

"Wewnątrz świata rażonego obłędem... normalność zachowują już tylko ludzie. Dick poddaje ich więc ciśnieniu przeraźliwej próby i w jego fantastycznym eksperymencie niefantastyczna pozostaje tylko psychologia bohaterów. Walczą oni do końca, stoicko i zajadle, z nacierającym zewsząd chaosem, którego źródła są właściwie n
Published 1990 by Amber (first published September 23rd 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Ubik, please sign up.

Andy Rhodes In my view Philip k,Dick's are intriguing and very addictive. At the same time the language he uses can be complicated and literally 'out of this…moreIn my view Philip k,Dick's are intriguing and very addictive. At the same time the language he uses can be complicated and literally 'out of this world'. You can blink and lose concentration then you are lost. The easiest book to start with is ' Do androids dream of sheep?' Its one of my favourites (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Mon El It was the rest of the psi crew that continually interfered with the living, trying to communicate with other dead people. They were so intent on not…moreIt was the rest of the psi crew that continually interfered with the living, trying to communicate with other dead people. They were so intent on not believing the were killed in the blast,No one else could over Psi them, until the end when the one the knew was only death in blast, was in reality only survivor. If he does not survive, then they think they do! Just my two cents. Peace and never Stop Reading!(less)

RandomAnthony
Jan 03, 2011 RandomAnthony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phillip K Dick's Ubik flirts with perfection. I inhaled this novel over three days when one of my kids was sick and Christmas break was ending. I started the book on the couch during a Mythbusters marathon. By page fifty I wanted to shut the door and leave my kids to forage in the refrigerator for Gatorade and string cheese. And on Sunday night, when I closed the book, I felt satisfied and excited with a novel in a way that doesn't happen much. Ubik is fun, smart, and exhilarating.

Ok, let me
Cecily
A clever, original and often very funny sci-fi story. It is about psychic power battles, the nature of death, alternative reality and changing the past. Or not.

FUN, FUN, FUN
It was published in 1969 and starts off in a sufficiently plausible but amusingly implausible 1992. In particular, the clothes take the flamboyance of the late '60s to extraordinary heights, for no obvious reason, other than fun. On the second page, we meet a man wearing "a tabby-fur blazer and pointed yellow shoes", which is
Darwin8u
Jan 18, 2017 Darwin8u rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
“I am Ubik. Before the universe was, I am.
Philip K. Dick, Ubik

description

― Philip K. Dick, Ubik

description

Friends, this wild review is 100% PKD approved. Ubik the review is only seconds away! Ubik the review is easy-t
Lyn
Apr 15, 2016 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I began reading some of Philip K. Dick’s short stories and quickly became hooked. His style and imagination have left an indelible mark on science fiction since and his influence is unmistakable. His novels are genius, and Ubik may be the best one I have read yet.

Telling an inventive sci-fi tale that is entertaining on its surface, this is also a theological metaphor that keeps the reader thinking and trying to figure out what in the world PKD is getting at. His brilliance is compelling and his
Fernando
Oct 18, 2016 Fernando rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Ahora comprendo por qué Philip K. Dick es uno de los grandes dioses de la ciencia ficción. Ubik no es un libro. Es toda una película. Todo en él se lee como si fuera un perfecto guión cinematográfico. Me atrevería a decir que Ubik es como si en una coctelera mezcláramos las películas The Matrix, Minority Report e Inception, y lo más gracioso es que Minority Report ¡fue también un libro escrito por Dick!
Joe Chip es el protagonista principal de esta historia que lo tiene todo en lo que a ciencia f
Manny
Hoping to appeal to black voters while retaining the support of the KKK? Use Trump!

Need to balance the budget while increasing military spending and reducing taxes? Trump will do it!

Trying to combine total openness with complete secrecy? Trump makes it simple!

Looking to stand up to foreign aggressors while fawning all over Vladimir Putin? It's possible with Trump!

If you require a woman-friendly message that stars Roger Ailes... Trump's the answer!

Want to crush ISIS without sending more troops to
Stuart
It took me 40 years to get around to it, but I finally dived into PKD's reality-bending novels over the last two years, and this one is excellent. UBIK is much stranger and more darkly humorous than Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. It starts out with a very far-fetched future world set in 1992, and the plot revolves around telepaths, inertials, prudence organizations, snarky coin-operated household appliances, "cold-pac" half-life moratoriums, crazily excessive clothing styles, mysterious li ...more
Kevin Ansbro
Aug 31, 2016 Kevin Ansbro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers who like their sci fi laced with deadpan humour.
"He felt all at once like an ineffectual moth, fluttering at the windowpane of reality, dimly seeing it from the outside."
-Philip K Dick

"A fool and his poscreds are soon parted."
-Kevin Ansbro

Please allow me to preface my review by stating that sci-fi is not normally my thang. Aside from Asimov, when I was a teenager, I've preferred to watch it, and write it, rather than read it. In fact, were it not for Obi-Wan Cecily's recommendation, I might have erroneously imagined Philip K Dick to ha
Apatt
Sep 15, 2011 Apatt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mind blown!

Philip K. Dick is generally very welled loved by the sf readership, nobody writes quite like him. His novels tend to mess with my head and leave me WTF-ing, wondering where I am and what is going on. In a good way of course.

It is difficult for me to choose a Dick favorite, I have never read anything by him that I did not like. Still, if I must choose one I would choose Ubik. The different layers of reality remind me of The Matrix, Inception and Ursula Le Guin's The Lathe of Heaven. No
Marvin
Dec 26, 2012 Marvin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This is one of Philip K. Dick's strangest novels. Those who have read his novels know that is saying a lot. But there were a few surprises for me. This is one of his wittiest novels. There are a lot of clever moments especially at the beginning. Yet sooner or later Dick will take you into the weird dimension and he does it with finesse. I do not have the patience to describe the plot. Even the Goodreads description at the top is lacking. But all the necessary ingredients... frustrated protagonis ...more
Alex
Oct 04, 2016 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
"Our own homegrown Borges" is how Ursula Le Guin describes Philip K. Dick, because they both use writing to question the nature of reality. Both writers assume that everything is up for debate: the story, the page it's written on, the author writing it.

Dick is my favorite of the pack of mid-century science fiction writers. (The "Big Three" of Heinlein, Asimov and Clarke, plus Bradbury, Le Guin and him.) He's best known as a short story writer; of his 44 novels, The Man in the High Castle is his
Kua
May 23, 2012 Kua rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Come è possibile che Philip K. Dick sia stato nascosto ai miei occhi fino ad oggi? E io, in che parte dell'universo ho vissuto per non aver mai letto niente di suo? Sono allibita, sono sconcertata dalla mia ignoranza. Vergogna!
Certo che per avere delle paranoie simili, tanto bene Philip non doveva stare. Perchè un conto è non sapere se si è vivi o morti e va bè uno non lo sa e continua per la sua strada, un altro è non sapere che si è morti ma sospettarlo fortemente (brividi)... Questo romanzo
Brian
I have one all-time favorite movie (aside from adaptions of Hamlet): The Matrix. I novelized this movie before writing my own novel (and am still processing). I asked Goodreads if they knew of any books like this movie, and I received two suggestions by P.K. Dick, “Ubik,” and “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?”

For some time this year I left the “pleasures” of reading to pursue my dreams of writing. I set out a plan: read literary magazines and short stories, write literary stories and get
Kemper
Sep 09, 2009 Kemper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, 100, spooky-powers
I don't know why but I always get a huge kick out of reading an older sci-fi story that was set in the near future, but it's a date I've lived through. In 2001, I'd just randomly shout, "Kubrick and Clarke were wrong,! We don't have bases on the moon! Those fools!" This is another one where Phil didn't exactly nail 1992 writing in 1969, but it's still a pretty good story.

In this 1992, there are people with psionic powers like telepathy or precognition that are used for industrial sabotage, and r
Brad
May 06, 2010 Brad rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, speculative
The concept behind Ubik is as brilliant as any of Philip K. Dick's ideas.

Glen Runciter is dead, or maybe he's not. All the people who work for him in his anti-paranormal "Prudence Organization" are dead, or maybe they're not. But even if they're dead (having been attacked by the big Kahuna of paranormal activity), they're being kept in half-life at a Swiss cryogenic facility where they may now be under attack from a soul predator who sucks the vitality out of their half-life, devouring them to
Penny
This book is pure genius! Even when I was as confused as Joe Chip about what in the hell was really going on, I loved every second of it. The concept behind this novel is brilliant. We spend a great deal of it unsure of what is real and what isn't and some of the ideas Dick manages to throw in as the story progresses had me grinning and shaking my head at the crazy logic of it all.

One of my favourites was the question of whether or not you can out-random a guy who had precogs tell him your every
Jaci
Mar 30, 2008 Jaci rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to think hard
Shelves: read-in-2008, own
This was the first book that I have read by Philip K. Dick, and I was not disappointed. This novel was a page-turner and relatively quick read. It is hard for me to explain what I got out of this book because it dealt with some very abstract concepts, but here are my thoughts (as disjointed as they may be).

How do we know if what we are experiencing right now is life, and not half-life, death, or a reincarnation of ourselves? This was the main question that the characters of Ubik faced.

The book
Christopher
I read recently that one shouldn't read more than one PKD novel a month. It is simply difficult to deal with the mind bending nature of his novels in back to back doses. I promptly ignored that advice and began reading Ubik immediately after finishing Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. Having now finished the pure insanity that is Ubik, I may find myself repeating that advice to others.

The instant you feel that you have a grasp on exactly what is going on, PKD drops you another hit of acid an
Carmine
Jan 13, 2017 Carmine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prima che l'universo fosse, io ero

Dick, mai come in questo romanzo, destruttura i dogmi che noi attribuiamo al contesto reale, sbriciolando ogni nostra certezza e rendendoci vulnerabile come gli "eroi" che si muovono nella vicenda.
L'autore, attraverso la consueta prosa non lineare e schizofrenica, mette alla berlina ogni nostra sicurezza: dal concetto di unica realtà, passando per la riflessione sul confine morte-vita (ma anche reale- non reale), l'autore non offre più nessun punto di riferime
Tsung Wei
Sep 13, 2016 Tsung Wei rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome! What a mind-bending psychedelic trip! It’s a strange new world with oddball characters in outlandish clothes, a future which is torn between the past and the present (a mix of nostalgia and futurism), mercenary appliances and doors which behave like vending machines with personalities and attitude, corporatized communication with near-death individuals in suspended animation, commercial applications of psychic talents and anti-talent counterparts, drug culture (hmm, a PKD trait), lies, ...more
Randy
Jun 16, 2016 Randy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hey, what happened to my review? It was here recently but now seems to have vanished. Maybe it died in a bomb blast on the moon. Or maybe it crawled, weakened and frightened, into my closet in the middle of the night to die. Or maybe it's not dead at all. Maybe I'm dead, and my review is alive, trying to reach me through various apparitions in what I perceive to be reality. Or maybe it's all different.

One thing's for sure: I'm going to need a lot of Ubik.
Maria
Jul 26, 2016 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so freaking WEIRD.

1992. Într-o lume în care nici măcar propriile gânduri nu îți mai aparțin, Joe Chip este angajatul uneia dintre cele mai importante companii anti-psi care se ocupă cu identificarea și anihilarea așa-ziselor amenințări reprezentate de oamenii cu puteri telepatice, precognitive sau telekinetice. Aflată într-o perioadă mai dificilă din punct de vedere finaciar, companiei i se oferă un contract pe Lună, unde Joe Chip, împreună cu echipa sa de inerțiali (oameni cu anti-put
Bryce Wilson
Jun 27, 2008 Bryce Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature, sci-fi
My favorite PKD book. No mean feat considering I've read it five or six times and still barely have an understanding of what the hell is going on in the first third of the book.

Still once things get metaphysical it becomes a flat out masterpiece. Rarely has Dick's vision of the apocalypse of atrophy been given such a stirring rendition. Like Palmer Eldritch this is the story of the apocalypse on an internal scale rather then the usual external one, and its pretty freaking tremendous.
Sarah Anne
4.5 stars. I honestly can't decide between 4 and 5! I'm very disappointed that I didn't discover Dick long ago. He's an amazing author and I've loved everything I've read so far. This one was a mind-bender and it was absolutely fascinating. I also loved the end :)
Estelle
Weird and brilliant. I'm pretty sure it will turn into a 5 stars and favorite once I reread it. Right now, my mind is still trying to put all the pieces together.
Jim
Sep 27, 2016 Jim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, 2fiction, 1audio
I've never been much of a fan of Dick's writing, but this was listed as one of the 100 best SF audio & best SF books of all time. I've managed to get through a couple of his in audio format when I couldn't in print, so I thought I'd give it a try.

There are some interesting ideas, but nothing spectacular, often the worst of Space Opera cheese without any real insight. Many were from old lists of 'Devices of the Future' by Popular Mechanics or something similar or were magical forms pasted to
Anne Zappa
Oct 03, 2014 Anne Zappa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What hallucinating narcotic stimulants had PKD been on while writing this wicked metaphysical novel shall remain an obscure affair like most of the enigmatic events occurring in this mind-fucking piece of genius i.e Ubik. One can only conjecture that he was getting some good shit. Maybe something like those drugs in Limitless or Lucy. How cynical of me? The guy had genuine amazing talent for which I should be admiring him. Ubik with its compound chills & thrills is one hell of a ride.

Welcom
Kat  Hooper
Jul 03, 2011 Kat Hooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Warning: Use only as directed. And with caution.

Written in 1969, Ubik is one of Philip K. Dick’s most popular science fiction novels. It’s set in a future 1992 where some humans have develop psi and anti-psi powers which they are willing to hire out to individuals or companies who want to spy (or block spying) on others. Also in this alternate 1992, if you’ve got the money, you can put your beloved recently-deceased relatives into “coldpac” where they can
Marco Tamborrino
"Io sono vivo, voi siete morti."

Ascoltate un attimo. Ognuno di noi ha una concezione di realtà differente. Se le varie concezioni di realtà si mischiassero, cosa ne uscirebbe? Un miscuglio di realtà. Una non-realtà. È difficile da spiegare. In sintesi, potremmo aver fondato tutte le nostre vite su un'illusione che comprende ogni cosa che ci circonda. Quindi occorre uscirne. O tentare di guarire da questa scoperta dall'illusione. Nasce quindi Ubik. Vedete, Ubik è ogni cosa. Potrebbe essere Dio.
Hertzan Chimera
Feb 25, 2008 Hertzan Chimera rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ubik is a brilliant book mixing horror with humour in such a deep and poignant way. What I was most inspired by were the chapter headings, those little UBIKverts - this was a concept I butchered for self-marketing purposes back in the Hertzan Chimera daze:

UBIQUITOUSLY, HERTZAN CHIMERA

Hertzan Chimera Vaseline
The best way to ask for vaseline is to sing out Hertzan Chimera. Made from select goose grease, morons, slow-aged for perfect smoothness, Hertzan Chimera is the nation's number-one choice i
Philip K Dick: Ubik' ending 15 424 Nov 28, 2016 01:47AM
Spoiler Filled Discussion of the book. 20 546 Oct 07, 2016 07:25AM
Philip K Dick: UBIK 2 24 Jun 07, 2016 08:02AM
The Filipino Group: This topic has been closed to new comments. [F2F Book Discussions] August 2015: Ubik by Philip K. Dick | Moderator: Angus 338 105 Aug 22, 2015 08:49AM
  • The Book of Skulls
  • The Demolished Man
  • Il ciclo delle Fondazioni
  • The Rediscovery of Man
  • Behold the Man
  • The Fifth Head of Cerberus
  • The Drowned World
  • The Affirmation
  • The Space Merchants (The Space Merchants #1)
  • The Futurological Congress: From the Memoirs of Ijon Tichy
  • Bring the Jubilee
  • Pavane
  • Life During Wartime
  • City of Illusions
Philip K. Dick was born in Chicago in 1928 and lived most of his life in California. In 1952, he began writing professionally and proceeded to write numerous novels and short-story collections. He won the Hugo Award for the best novel in 1962 for The Man in the High Castle and the John W. Campbell Memorial Award for best novel of the year in 1974 for Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. Philip K. Di ...more
More about Philip K. Dick...

“He felt all at once like an ineffectual moth, fluttering at the windowpane of reality, dimly seeing it from outside.” 48 likes
“I am Ubik. Before the universe was, I am. I made the suns. I made the worlds. I created the lives and the places they inhabit; I move them here, I put them there. They go as I say, then do as I tell them. I am the word and my name is never spoken, the name which no one knows. I am called Ubik, but that is not my name. I am. I shall always be.” 41 likes