Start by marking “Judas Horse (An FBI Special Agent Ana Grey Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
Judas Horse (An FBI Special Agent Ana Grey Mystery #3)

Judas Horse (An FBI Special Agent Ana Grey Mystery #3)

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Maverick FBI Agent Ana Grey is back in this suspense-charged novel, going undercover into the volatile core of a terrorist cell.

Emotionally vulnerable after a shooting incident, Ana has just returned to the job when she learns that a fellow agent has been murdered by a group of hard-core anarchists operating behind the façade of FAN (Free Animals Now). Dispatched to the FB...more
Published February 12th 2008 by Vintage (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Judas Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Judas Horse

Marsha
This is third in a series, first that I've read. Ana Grey learns her former fiance has been killed in an undercover assignment. She becomes an undercover agent herself and thrown in with the same group of Eco-terrorists that killed him. As she penetrates their secrets she learns more than she would have liked to about her agency, past mistakes and current corruption. An enjoyable read obviously meant to be continued.
Paul Pessolano
I have heard of a "Judas Goat" but not a "Judas Horse". If you don't know a Judas Goat is a goat that leads sheep from their holding pens to the slaughter house. Just before the Judas Goat is to enter the house he takes a ramp off to the side, the entrance to the ramp is closed and the sheep are funneled into the slaughter house.

The same seems to be true of the "Judas Norse" who leads horses to their slaughter house. On should keep this in mind when reading this book.

Ana Grey is an FBI Special A...more
jo
i love genre fiction that is so sophisticatedly literary. the language here is super. some passages are extremely cool.

"The tension in the kitchen is like waiting for a hurricane. We are losing the sun and the palm trees are blowing inside out; traffic lights swing wildly on their cables. The storm shutters are up and the house is sealed, but within the hour we will be beset by knocking winds like a thousand screaming inmates."

the plot, though, leaves a lot to be desired. one small thing that b...more
Staci Woodburn
I read outside my normal genre for the Ana Grey books on the recommendation of a friend. After one, I was hooked. This is the note I sent him while on the second book:

I was reading while waiting for the bus this morning. When it pulled up, I got on without looking up. Still on the bus 45 minutes later, it's pouring rain and hail and no one can figure out how to close the roof hatch that I'm sitting under. Which is of course when I finally stopped reading and noticed that not only am I getting p...more
Linda
This tale of an undercover agent who infiltrates an environmental terrorist ring in the Pacific Northwest was a great read. I liked the character of Ana Grey/Darcy Guzman a lot, and also enjoyed the other characters. Only the other FBI agents seemed a bit flat. I really liked the details of undercover school and the look into undercover work. I haven't read anything like that before.

The main downside of the book was being told first-person, present-tense. There were some things that she simply c...more
Jeff Dickison
Good Ana Grey mystery as she goes undercover to infiltrate FAN (a radical animal rights group) and finds more than she bargains for. Well written, good action, recommended.
Mary Ahlgren
Interesting book about interesting times, Obsession is a dangerous thing, and going "undercover" seems to be really bad for one's psychic health.
Ross
The plot of Judas Horse is intricate and suspenseful. I quickly got drawn into the story and found myself just where an undercover agent presumably ends up: unsure of anything and everything but compelled to move on. So there is much to like about this mystery.

But the plot turned in a few ways that strained my fairly low expectations for credulity. And the brief account of the FBI undercover school was too cursory to work well. Still, this was a quick and fun read. And it could make for a great...more
Mathilde
I just didn't like this book. I didn't like the writing style. I thought the book was tedious; it took me a very long time to read this. FBI special agent Ana goes undercover, infiltrating an animal rights radical group that is led by a former, rogue FBI agent. I didn’t find the characters especially compelling, and Ana, who CHOSE to go to undercover school and take this assignment to prove something to her self, was annoying whiny about it.
Nette
I enjoyed the first part of the book where the FBI agent goes to "undercover school" at Quantico, but then she goes undercover for real at a ranch populated by ecoterrorists, and I got bored. But maybe that's just me -- I'm always more absorbed in the technical details of detective work than in the big chase scene at the end. The first book in this series, "North of Montana," is still the best by far.
Anita
Ana Grey turns herself into Darcy to become part of FAN. Through the eyes of an ex-FBI, she sees things about the FBI and her old FBI love, Steve, that she did not see before. It makes her question what is real and what is not, who to trust and who not to trust. In the end she escapes with the help of those she does trust, but if she survives and how I guess is for another book.
Matt Howard
People who don't know guns shouldn't write about guns. I assume the author spoke to an expert consultant before writing about snipers in her novel, but her lack of knowledge means there are awkward incongruities that destroy our belief in the story. Besides that the plot is awkward, and the characters wooden. I gave her two stars because it's not Mickey Spillane.
Alissa
Ana is sent deep undercover to infiltrate a radical environmental-terrorism cell outside of Portland, Oregon.

April Smith is a fantastic writer. Ana is a wonderfully flawed character and the stress of being deep undercover and the pull between her fake life as Darcy and the Bureau is palpable.

Quite the satisfying thriller.

J. Ewbank
This book by April Smith is a good read and the title is aptly made. It has an interesting finish that could not be anticipated but which also leaves you wondering how the series can continue. I enjoyed it.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Joyce
A new author for me. It is a thriller about a female FBI agent working undercover with domestic terrorists. It was well plotted and well written but I frequently found myself more interested in the sub-plots and minor characters than the main ones.
John
This book got off to very slow start, and almost got put down because of the authors' ignorance on subjects she is giving false facts to. However the story line picked up and the book turned into a page-turner.
Karen
Ana Grey is undercover in Portland, Oregon and we get a bit of her background in the FBI. The set up was a bit hard to swallow, but the FBI training was interesting.
Sheila
Story about an FBI agent who goes deep undercover to infiltrate a domestic terrorist cell. I couldn't figure who to trust throughout the entire book.
It's a nice change of pace to read about a more serious woman at the center of a mystery novel, as opposed to her wackier counterparts in other series.
Lisa
This was good!! This is my second time reading it, I couldn't really remember it so I read it again and liked it again!!!
Jeremiah Genest
I read this book because I was curious about the growth of the whole "environmental terrorist" It was a hottible book.
Teri
first time reasd for this author. Good, but at times confusing, not a spellbinder, but a good mystery.
BC or Brenda
Another great book by April Smith. I hate that I read them so fast that I don't get to enjoy it more.
Wendy
This was better then I thought it would be. I had some surprise twists that I didn't expect.
Craig Buck
I love Ana Grey and in Judas Horse she's at her best. Another fine outing for April Smith.
Susan
Too long; the book became difficult to follow at times.
Tory Wagner
Yuck - did not like the main character!
Nancy
Pretty good. Kept me guessing.
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Thewalkinglexicon
Thewalkinglexicon marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Here's the down and dirty: grew up in the Bronx, went to college in Boston, graduate school in California, back to Cambridge to write a first failed novel and learn how the world works by writing ad copy,west to Los Angeles in 1976 for a career writing and producing TV, until the writer's strike of 1988 when I wrote my first novel on spec, North of Montana. Two wonderful grown children and the bes...more
More about April Smith...
A Star for Mrs. Blake North of Montana (An FBI Special Agent Ana Grey Mystery #1) Good Morning, Killer (An FBI Special Agent Ana Grey Mystery #2) White Shotgun (An FBI Special Agent Ana Grey Mystery #4) Be the One