Start by marking “The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2)

The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium Trilogy #2)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  521,269 ratings  ·  29,181 reviews
Dua orang jurnalis yang menyelidiki industri perdagangan wanita di Swedia ditemukan tewas. Mayat mereka ditemukan dengan lubang besar di kepala mereka. Bjurman, wali Lisbeth Salander, ditemukan terbunuh di apartemennya.

Sidik jari yang ditemukan di senjata pembunuh ketiga orang itu mengarah pada satu orang : Lisbeth Salander.

Sekali lagi Mikael Blomkvist, wartawan kriminal
Published 2009 by Qanita (Mizan Grup) (first published 2006)

Grace Tjan

What I learned from this book (in no particular order):

1. Swedish billionaires furnish their multi-million dollar apartments with IKEA --- well, at least ONE peculiar Swedish billionaire.

[image error]
Poang Chair $40

2. Asperger's Syndrome may give you the idea that a T-shirt that says ‘I’M AN ALIEN’ is acceptable office wear, but also photographic memory and phenomenal mathematical ability.

3. "Sweden is one of the countries that imports the most prostitutes per capita from Russia and

Stieg Larsson doesn't really do subtle. If he thinks an issue is important, he will shout it from the rooftops. With a megaphone. But since he is condemning misogyny and violence towards women, I'm ok with that.

"Salander was the woman who hated men who hate women."
This book, much more than its predecessor, focuses on the tiny-but-tough Lisbeth Salander. We learn quite a bit about the fascinating and horrific backstory that led to Salander developing her unique, defensive, prickly personality.
Lisa Eskra
The first book was for the most part plot-driven. The 40-year old mystery took a while to unfold, but was interesting when it did. So was Lisbeth, although she wasn't the main focus. Enter, The Girl Who Played With Fire. The story has now turned character-driven with Lisbeth as the protagonist. But instead of having much of a plot of any character revelations about her early on, we read about her buying a new apartment, grocery shopping, and what furniture she picked out at IKEA in *great* detai ...more
I am confident that Stieg Larsson has a reason for this, but Lisbeth Salander is not much of a heroine. Let's list her transgressions from The Girl Who Played With Fire (and these will be deliberately out of context):

1. She forces herself on a 16 year old boy in Granada.
2. She kills a man on the beach during a hurricane.
3. She shuts out Blomkvist for a very long time for a perceived slight, giving him no explanation.
4. She fails to take or show the necessary care with her ex-guardian after his s
Jeffrey Keeten
He had come.
He smelled of aftershave.
She hated the smell of him.
He...observed her for a long time.
She hated his silence.
Then he spoke to her. He had a dark, clear voice that stressed, pedantically, each word.
She hated his voice.
He laid the back of a moist hand on her forehead and ran his fingers along her hairline in a gesture that was probably intended to be friendly.
She hated his touch.

Lisbeth Salander is simply unforgettable.
 photo LisbethSalander_zpsc867bfba.jpg

I read the first book in this trilogy the year it was published
Much later. After such insistence on preserving my idea of my father, my memory of our last meeting, this happened a couple of Fridays ago. I opened up some photos taken by my brother and there my father is, dead in his coffin. I must confess to being quite distressed. And I still don't understand why on earth is this something to preserve? I don't get it one little bit.

Hooked. Totally, completely, utterly hooked. I read this book yesterday during lunch even though I was with two
A downright masterpiece. The action sequences, the constant tension continually building up to lead to a tremendous ending. Lisbeth freaking Salander, she may actually be one of the best, and most complex characters I've ever had the pleasure of reading about. Introverted, extremely genial, and dangerous if need be, she's the epitome of the formula to the creation of a super-intriguing character.

Like the first book, this was a complete investigation-kind-of-book. But unlike the first one, this h
Dan Schwent
Three people are dead and Lisbeth Salander's finger prints are on the murder weapon. Can Mikael Blomkvist clear her name before the police find her? And what does Lisbeth's situation have to do with an expose of the Swedish sex trade two of the murder victims were working on?

I was afraid The Girl Who Played With Fire would suffer from the sophomore jinx. I'm pleased to say it did not.

Larsson must have figured out he had a good thing in Lisbeth Salander while working on The Girl With The Dragon T
This is the sequel to The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and it was immediately as good as the first but this time I knew this from the very first page.

The first one I felt was slightly more clumsy at the beginning and took a while to truly love it. I speak only for myself of course. This one it starts off with a bang and you know immediately from the first page it is going to be just as good if not better.

Blomkvist takes a back seat here and Salander takes the lead. She after all is really the mos
If loving the Millennium books is wrong, baby, I don't want to be right.

In scanning through the other reviews, I have to concur with many of the problems mentioned: superfluous detail (specific IKEA furniture is mentioned several times--as if I know what any of it looks like just because I have the model number provided, sandwiches are made, coffee is brewed, Billy's Pan Pizzas are consumed); there's a real dearth of poetic or stylized language; there's a cast of hundreds (maybe not quite, but i
مصطفي سليمان

الفكرة عاملة تخليك تسئل مليون سؤال
رسمه للشخصيات
لا يقال عليه شئ غير سحري
متأكد ان فيه ملف كامل لكل شخصية
Unfortunately not as good as Män som Hatar Kvinnor. He has gone too far, and Lisbeth Salander is no longer a fully credible person; also, the puzzle isn't as satisfying as in the first one.

Start geek-rant: as a former mathematician, I was annoyed by his sloppiness concerning Fermat's Last Theorem. To start off with, he misquotes it several times. And the whole idea that Lisbeth is able to solve it on her own in just a few months, with no formal mathematical training, is cheap. If this were the o
Jane Maritz
I struggled through this 514-page book.

To begin with, all the homo, bi, double-partner, and heterosexual talk was a bit much. Way beyond my comfort level.

To be fair, once I got about half-way through the book - after all the characters' sexual preferences were clearly established - it did become a page-turner as I raced to find out the ending.

If you like books with lots of character sketches, this might work for you. I was tempted to get out a notepad and sketch out all the characters and their
Culture imposes on women constant indoctrination of the idea that our vaginas should make us small, weak, and incapable of caring for ourselves or others.

"A woman could obviously never be a fire fighter, for example." "We couldn't send a woman to do that military job because what if she got her period? She couldn't take a week off when she's there!" "There are just some days in the month when a woman diplomat wouldn't be able to do her job." "I wouldn't watch women's sports because women aren't
Allison (The Allure of Books)
I have this really funny picture in my head of Stieg Larsson having had a list mounted on the wall of his office, and I can just see him going down and checking off one by one as he just verbally decimates every single political idea/government corruption/way of life he despises. I know that is a very silly idea, but it doesn’t change the fact that every cause he is passionate about shows through brilliantly in his writing. He has a way of making you feel exactly as he does, it is brilliant.

Jan 25, 2009 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Casey
Larsson keeps up the terrific thriller and suspense work he started in 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,' even though that had to be one tough act to follow! I ordered the British edition of this second novel of Larsson's Milennium trilogy from No way could I wait until September 2009 and the American release of the book for my second Lisbeth Salander, Mikael Blomkvist fix!
Here Lisbeth Salander is in another boatload of trouble (of course), though she's richer and dresses a little bet
You do NOT want to get on Lisbeth Salander’s bad side…

The anti-social genius computer hacker is back in this terrific thriller that improves on The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Following the events of the first book, Lisbeth has left Sweden and been traveling abroad for over a year. She’s angry with Mikeal Blomkvist and has broken off all contact with him, but he has no idea why since Salander is far too socially awkward to ever explain herself or try to mend a damaged relationship. Blomkvist i
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
WHAT WAS THAT ENDING??? ugh. I allowed to ship them yet?

Seriously though, they're always saving each other's lives. First Lisbeth saves Mikael, then in this book Mikael saves Lisbeth... either they save each other at the same time in the next book or they both die. That's my prediction.

This book gets an extra star for being less dry than the first one (through no fault of Dragon Tattoo's, there was a LOT of setup to do) and for focusing on Lisbeth's backstory, because she is one of the mos
Mar 17, 2010 Tatiana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"
To follow the style of the original title of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," I think this book should have been named "A Woman Who Hates Men Who Hate Women." Too convoluted? Yes, but oh so true to the story!

On the surface, "The Girl Who Played with Fire" is about sex trafficking and prostitution in Sweden and high-ranking men who abuse underage girls. But, just like the first novel, it's not quite that simple - the story gradually morphs into a tale of sexual prejudice, abuse of power, and go
Jan 12, 2010 pinknantucket rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Patient ghouls
Hmm. So the quote on the front cover says "Even more gripping and astonishing than the first...This novel will leave readers on the edge of their seats". If you replaced "gripping" with "frustrating" and "astonishing" with "tedious" and also "on the edge of their seats" with "gnashing their teeth" I would agree with that endorsement.

I read the first in this trilogy during my holidays last year and quite enjoyed it. Perhaps I was under the influence of too many nutella crepes and those revolting
Shayantani Das
When I had started reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, I promised to myself that I would never pick up the sequel. The beginning was so slow, with unnecessary details, complicated names and this really irritating character named Lizbeth Salander. I honestly didn’t get the hype and really regretted my decision. Still I read on and somewhere towards the middle of the novel, I was so engrossed that I sacrificed my dinner and sleep. The plot was great, no doubt , the writing was all right, and ...more
Maria Elmvang
Jan 25, 2011 Maria Elmvang rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maria by: Henni
I haven't read a book this quickly since Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

The sequel to The Girl with the dragon tattoo is just as good as the first one. Well written, well researched and impossible to put down. The only thing I missed was a bit of a conclusion at the end, but rumour has it that will come in the last book in the trilogy, which makes sense as this one tied up some lose threads from the first book as well. I can't wait to get my hands on the last one.
Franco  Santos
Una excelente continuación de saga. Me gustó más que el primero. En éste mi protagonista favorita -Lisbeth Salander- adquiere más atención. Todo este tomo gira alrededor de ella. También aparecen nuevos personajes que me encantaron. Son muy originales y cada uno tiene algo especial.

Con respecto al final, por Dios... ¡Qué final! Me dejó con el corazón en la boca.
Peter Haglund
It cost me a good night's sleep. I started reading it in the evening and just couldn't stop. It's not often I read a book continuously.
Over a year after reading The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Stieg Larsson has finally suckered me into continuing his series - or at least getting through the second book. This is mostly due to the fact that I recently saw the movie version of The Girl Who Played With Fire and got the sense that there was a lot that got cut out, but also everyone is starting to get excited about the American adaptation of these books, and I'd like to be fully informed before I start sneering at Rooney Mara's perf ...more
This is my kind of thriller. Woman protagonist who can do it all, tatooed, armed and dangerous. Also, did I say brilliant computer hacker? She is my hero. Rebels against the good old boys and wins. We need more characters like her.

Stieg Larsson's second of three in a series. His first, "The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo" was every bit as riveting. Read this first if you can. His third and final novel has yet to be published. Sadly, he died in 2004 just after submitting his three novels, so we not s
The praise I gave The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo can easily be extented to the # 2 of the Millenium series. The story is in my view even better and surprising until the last page. Larsson is The Master of Suspense and it is really a challenge to put this book down only for some hours.

But the deficiencies I mentioned (accordingly to many other reviewers) are still there. Maybe after more than 1,000 pages I got even more aware of them, so I will wait for some weeks before I attack the third tome
As was the case with "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo," this one takes about 200 or so pages to really get rolling, but once it does, it's a pretty entertaining ride all the way to the end. The big difference is that with the characters of Lisbeth Salander and Mikael Blomkvist firmly established from the first book, we have a quicker entry into the world of "Fire."

It's been a year since the events of "Dragon Tattoo" and in that time, the friendship between Salandar and Blomkvist has eroded. Sala
Όποιος διάβασε το 1ο μέρος, είναι σίγουρο ότι το 2ο θα τον συναρπάσει εις τριπλούν! Διαβάζεται απνευστι! Δεν μπορείς να το αφήσεις απ’ τα χέρια σου!! Αναμφισβήτητα ο Λάρσον ήταν από τους καλύτερους στο είδος του!! Θερμά συγχαρητήρια και πάλι!!
  • Nemesis (Harry Hole, #4)
  • The Terrorists (Martin Beck #10)
  • Wash This Blood Clean from My Hand (Commissaire Adamsberg, #6)
  • The Preacher (Patrik Hedström, #2)
  • The Dogs of Riga (Wallander #2)
  • Die a Little
  • Arctic Chill (Inspector Erlendur #7)
  • Woman with Birthmark (Inspector Van Veeteren #4)
  • The Language of Bees (Mary Russell, #9)
  • Moonlight Mile (Kenzie & Gennaro,#6)
  • Started Early, Took My Dog (Jackson Brodie, #4)
  • Faithful Place (Dublin Murder Squad, #3)
Stieg Larsson (born as Karl Stig-Erland Larsson) was a Swedish journalist and writer who passed away in 2004.

As a journalist and editor of the magazine Expo , Larsson was active in documenting and exposing Swedish extreme right and racist organisations. When he died at the age of 50, Larsson left three unpublished thrillers and unfinished manuscripts for more. The first three books ( The Girl Wit
More about Stieg Larsson...

Millennium Trilogy (4 books)
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)
  • The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Millennium, #3)
  • The Girl in the Spider's Web

“There are no innocents. There are, however, different degrees of responsibility.” 996 likes
“Don’t ever fight with Lisbeth Salander. Her attitude towards the rest of the world is that if someone threatens her with a gun, she’ll get a bigger gun.” 341 likes