Start by marking “You Can Write Children's Books” as Want to Read:
You Can Write Children's Books
Preview

You Can Write Children's Books

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  19 reviews
You Can Write Children's Books, 2nd Edition, provides you with the unique instruction and exercises you need to shape your ideas, develop your writing, and sell your work!
Published September 1st 2009 by Writers Digest Books (first published February 15th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about You Can Write Children's Books, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Can Write Children's Books

Mermaidrain
I bought this book for a Picture Book writing class I was taking and I've got to say that this is the BEST book on the topic that I've seen yet. It not only breaks the topic down into manageable chunks, but it provides step by step directions for every aspect of the business. And if those directions aren't clear, the author also provides visual examples of query letters, proposals, and manuscript formatting, etc.

As I was reading this with an interest in writing and marketing Picture books, I on
Andrew
Good book for what it covers. The author is obviously both experienced and knowledgible on the subject. I was hoping for a bit more coverage on picture books and the illustration side of the process.
The concept drew me in, but it wasn't as helpful as I thought it would be. it was the basics of the basics, but didn't delve deeper into HOW to write a children's book (but I guess that was the point considering it wasn't meant to teach but to encourage?) I just expected more insight in the writing process, and once I saw how basic the young adult section was, and even children chapter books, I knew it wasn't going to give me what I wanted and I stopped.

Guess this book wasn't particularly aimed
Cinta
I started reading this book because, since I also write children's books, I thought it would be informative and useful for me. It was a bit disappointing, since most of the information that this book delivers is the same information you can find anywhere else, even on blogs where you can read that for free. There were a couple of things that I found useful, but as for the rest, I already knew those things. I kept on skipping parts in order to find the parts that were important for me. Good book ...more
Melanie Faith
As a longtime author and creative writing teacher, my shelves are filled with texts about crafting poetry, fiction, and nonfiction for adults. After writing a children's picture book manuscript recently, a new genre for my pen, I was searching for a text specifically geared for picture book authors and others who write for youth. Tracey E. Dils' book more than met my expectations. Her tone is straightforward and inviting, and the chapters are organized exceptionally well.

I found her chapters on
Carolyn James
I've had a couple of Children's book ideas shifting around in my head and this was a good read to see if any of them were really marketable. It also gave me a lot of good avenues/advice on how I could connect my career with education to help me break into publishing. I'm terrible for devoting myself to one writing idea but if I do look further into the children route, this will be a helpful how-to to keep on my desk!
Anne
This book is a very useful introductory over-view. I got some good ideas from it and it has a great list of resources in the back.

The only thing that bugged me personally, was it completely ignored authors who are also illustrators. I realize it is about WRITING children's books, but still... I think there are enough of us who are both writers AND artists that in 170 pages she could have spared a paragraph on the subject. The only time it was mentioned was when she warned the reader to never il
Kate Happenence
My mum bought me this book before I’d even considered writing children’s books and so it sat for a while on the shelf occasionally getting glanced at. It wasn't until I actually sat down and tried writing a children's book that I realised how useful this book is. It's filled with information about all relevant age ranges.

My only criticism is that it could have gone into more depth in the sections devoted to middle grade and young adult fiction. Separate chapters for these separate age ranges mi
James McCann
This is by far the most helpful book I have found for new writers wanting to break into the children's book market. In fact, even as a four-time published author myself, I still found much of what it had to say pertinent to my daily life.

From the "myths" of publishing (all those urban legends you hear about why your manuscript isn't getting published) to tweaking your manuscript to formatting your manuscript to send out, this book will be an invaluable reference for you.

If you're new to the indu
Alycia Morales
There is practical advice and teaching in Tracey E. Dils' "You Can Write Children's Books." I wanted to learn about what it takes to write a children's book, particularly picture books. So I went to my local bookstore and chose from the books on the shelf.

What jumped out at me from Tracey's book were the Tips from the Top and Inspiration Exercises contained at the end of each chapter. Her chapters are written to the point and easy to read. She left me with very few questions due to her thoroughn
Snorkle
I really enjoyed what I read in this book. It had solid tips and advice for people seriously interested in pursing a career in writing children's books. I thought the chapters were easily understandable and they did a good job of breaking down the different genres and categories of writing. I used this book for my Writing for Children and Young Adult class, which I loved! I'd recommend this book.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2012...
Blessy Mathew
This craft book offers guidelines for the beginning children’s book writer from the writing process to submission. She offers great advice and tips on how to approach different genres—picture books, beginning readers, chapter books, novels and nonfiction. This is a great book to have on any children’s writer’s bookshelf.

Melissa
This is an excellent book for anyone thinking about writing a children's book. It is very informative and has suggested activities at the end of each chapter. I have read through the book and plan to go back through it again, this time using it as a workbook.
Denise
This book is a very basic intro into writing kids books. Good for the beginning writer, and some specialized info for those wanting to write for kids ranging from picture books to YA.
Randy
While there is arguably nothing groundbreaking here, this is an excellent instructional book that gives a good orientation for children's writing. Certainly worth a look.
Sabrina Gilbert
Wow... This book had so much good information, definitely recommend it to anyone seeking to join the world of childrens literature!
Kimberly Aikens
Aug 06, 2012 Kimberly Aikens rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in authoring a book
An introduction to writing children's books.
Carla
My directive for 2012...
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Jen
Jen is currently reading it
Mar 26, 2015
Lane
Lane marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Zrinka
Zrinka marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
  • Writing Children's Books for Dummies
  • Fiction Writer's Workshop
  • The 90-Day Novel: Unlock the story within
  • 20 Master Plots: And How to Build Them
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Creating Unforgettable Characters
  • Your First Novel: A Published Author and a Top Agent Share the Keys to Achieving Your Dream
  • Making Shapely Fiction
  • Second Sight: An Editor's Talks on Writing, Revising, and Publishing Books for Children and Young Adults
  • On Writing Romance: How to Craft a Novel That Sells
  • The Writer's Guide to Character Traits: Includes Profiles of Human Behaviors and Personality Types
  • The Business of Writing for Children: An Award-Winning Author's Tips on Writing Children's Books and Publishing Them
  • The Essential Guide to Getting Your Book Published: How to Write It, Sell It, and Market It . . . Successfully
  • Writing and Selling the YA Novel
Scariest Stories You'Ve Ever Heard, Part III You Can Write Children's Books Workbook Mother Teresa Real Life Scary Places Annabelle's Awful Waffle (Predictable Read Together Book)