Start by marking “You Can Write Children's Books” as Want to Read:
You Can Write Children's Books

You Can Write Children's Books

Writing for children - whether it's in the form of picture books, beginning readers, chapters books and novels, or nonfiction - requires a unique skill set: The ability to speak to children on their level. You Can Write Children's Books, 2nd Editio
Published September 30th 2014 by Writers Digest Books (first published February 15th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about You Can Write Children's Books, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Can Write Children's Books

May 26, 2014 Jena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book for a Picture Book writing class I was taking and I've got to say that this is the BEST book on the topic that I've seen yet. It not only breaks the topic down into manageable chunks, but it provides step by step directions for every aspect of the business. And if those directions aren't clear, the author also provides visual examples of query letters, proposals, and manuscript formatting, etc.

As I was reading this with an interest in writing and marketing Picture books, I on
Nov 03, 2013 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-to
Good book for what it covers. The author is obviously both experienced and knowledgible on the subject. I was hoping for a bit more coverage on picture books and the illustration side of the process.
Jan 16, 2015 Laura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The concept drew me in, but it wasn't as helpful as I thought it would be. it was the basics of the basics, but didn't delve deeper into HOW to write a children's book (but I guess that was the point considering it wasn't meant to teach but to encourage?) I just expected more insight in the writing process, and once I saw how basic the young adult section was, and even children chapter books, I knew it wasn't going to give me what I wanted and I stopped.

Guess this book wasn't particularly aimed
Blaise Morita
Nov 16, 2015 Blaise Morita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Required reading for a Children's Book Writing class I attended at Art Center College of Design in 2003, this book stands the test of time. While some instructionals depend on numbers and passing trends to provide often out-dated instructions to a market that is notoriously hard to penetrate, Tracey Dils focuses on the unchanging basics. Grammar. Knowing your target audience. Paying attention to the process. Refine. The list goes on.

Though you can never go wrong absorbing any and all opinions on
Nov 28, 2014 Cinta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this book because, since I also write children's books, I thought it would be informative and useful for me. It was a bit disappointing, since most of the information that this book delivers is the same information you can find anywhere else, even on blogs where you can read that for free. There were a couple of things that I found useful, but as for the rest, I already knew those things. I kept on skipping parts in order to find the parts that were important for me. Good book ...more
Melanie Faith
Aug 29, 2013 Melanie Faith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a longtime author and creative writing teacher, my shelves are filled with texts about crafting poetry, fiction, and nonfiction for adults. After writing a children's picture book manuscript recently, a new genre for my pen, I was searching for a text specifically geared for picture book authors and others who write for youth. Tracey E. Dils' book more than met my expectations. Her tone is straightforward and inviting, and the chapters are organized exceptionally well.

I found her chapters on
Meghan Coffey
Okay, so I technically didn't complete it...but it's a reference book more than a read cover-to-cover book. I'll definitely reference it for future works, but between school and the actual assignment I had to do on this book, I didn't have time to read it cover-to-cover. However, I do like the advice it gives in here, despite being a bit outdated (references MySpace and No Child Left Behind). So for an honest review, this book may be a 3.5
Carolyn James
Dec 29, 2014 Carolyn James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
I've had a couple of Children's book ideas shifting around in my head and this was a good read to see if any of them were really marketable. It also gave me a lot of good avenues/advice on how I could connect my career with education to help me break into publishing. I'm terrible for devoting myself to one writing idea but if I do look further into the children route, this will be a helpful how-to to keep on my desk!
Sep 17, 2014 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a very useful introductory over-view. I got some good ideas from it and it has a great list of resources in the back.

The only thing that bugged me personally, was it completely ignored authors who are also illustrators. I realize it is about WRITING children's books, but still... I think there are enough of us who are both writers AND artists that in 170 pages she could have spared a paragraph on the subject. The only time it was mentioned was when she warned the reader to never il
Dec 29, 2015 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great information for someone getting started

The information in the book is general, and easy to follow. Highly suggested for anyone interested in writing for children.
Catherine Oughtibridge
Sep 21, 2011 Catherine Oughtibridge rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-writing
My mum bought me this book before I’d even considered writing children’s books and so it sat for a while on the shelf occasionally getting glanced at. It wasn't until I actually sat down and tried writing a children's book that I realised how useful this book is. It's filled with information about all relevant age ranges.

My only criticism is that it could have gone into more depth in the sections devoted to middle grade and young adult fiction. Separate chapters for these separate age ranges mi
Oct 31, 2015 Cara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
Interesting, informative, concise book about what makes a good children's book and how to become an author.
James McCann
Feb 07, 2010 James McCann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is by far the most helpful book I have found for new writers wanting to break into the children's book market. In fact, even as a four-time published author myself, I still found much of what it had to say pertinent to my daily life.

From the "myths" of publishing (all those urban legends you hear about why your manuscript isn't getting published) to tweaking your manuscript to formatting your manuscript to send out, this book will be an invaluable reference for you.

If you're new to the indu
Alycia Morales
There is practical advice and teaching in Tracey E. Dils' "You Can Write Children's Books." I wanted to learn about what it takes to write a children's book, particularly picture books. So I went to my local bookstore and chose from the books on the shelf.

What jumped out at me from Tracey's book were the Tips from the Top and Inspiration Exercises contained at the end of each chapter. Her chapters are written to the point and easy to read. She left me with very few questions due to her thoroughn
May 10, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed what I read in this book. It had solid tips and advice for people seriously interested in pursing a career in writing children's books. I thought the chapters were easily understandable and they did a good job of breaking down the different genres and categories of writing. I used this book for my Writing for Children and Young Adult class, which I loved! I'd recommend this book.

*Taken from my book reviews blog:
Blessy Mathew
This craft book offers guidelines for the beginning children’s book writer from the writing process to submission. She offers great advice and tips on how to approach different genres—picture books, beginning readers, chapter books, novels and nonfiction. This is a great book to have on any children’s writer’s bookshelf.

Aug 14, 2008 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is an excellent book for anyone thinking about writing a children's book. It is very informative and has suggested activities at the end of each chapter. I have read through the book and plan to go back through it again, this time using it as a workbook.
Nov 20, 2011 Denise rated it liked it
This book is a very basic intro into writing kids books. Good for the beginning writer, and some specialized info for those wanting to write for kids ranging from picture books to YA.
While there is arguably nothing groundbreaking here, this is an excellent instructional book that gives a good orientation for children's writing. Certainly worth a look.
Sabrina Gilbert
Jul 26, 2011 Sabrina Gilbert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow... This book had so much good information, definitely recommend it to anyone seeking to join the world of childrens literature!
Sharon Mitchell
Excellent. Learned a lot.
Kimberly Aikens
Aug 06, 2012 Kimberly Aikens rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in authoring a book
An introduction to writing children's books.
Jun 05, 2012 Carla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-on-writing
My directive for 2012...
May 02, 2015 Primadonna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: onwriting
Jun 05, 2013 Kristin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful!
Rahmad Zahri
Rahmad Zahri rated it it was ok
Oct 20, 2016
Diana marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2016
Melanie rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2016
Libbydale marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2016
Vanessa Fletcher
Vanessa Fletcher rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2016
  • The Writer's Guide to Crafting Stories for Children
  • How to Write a Children's Book and Get It Published
  • Writing with Pictures: How to Write and Illustrate Children's Books
  • Writing Children's Books for Dummies
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Publishing Children's Books
  • Writing Picture Books: A Hands-On Guide from Story Creation to Publication
  • The 90-Day Novel: Unlock the story within
  • Your First Novel: A Published Author and a Top Agent Share the Keys to Achieving Your Dream
  • The Writer's Guide to Character Traits: Includes Profiles of Human Behaviors and Personality Types
  • Setting: How to Create and Sustain a Sharp Sense of Time and Place in Your Fiction
  • Writing in General and the Short Story in Particular
  • The Business of Writing for Children: An Award-Winning Author's Tips on Writing Children's Books and Publishing Them
  • The Sound on the Page: Great Writers Talk about Style and Voice in Writing
  • Naïve: Modernism and Folklore in Contemporary Graphic Design
  • Second Sight: An Editor's Talks on Writing, Revising, and Publishing Books for Children and Young Adults
  • Creating Unforgettable Characters
  • Writing and Selling the YA Novel
  • The Essential Guide to Getting Your Book Published: How to Write It, Sell It, and Market It . . . Successfully

“When you use single character viewpoint, you tell the main character's story — and only his or her story. Every single thing in the plot — whether it's an event, problem, emotion, or consequence — should be revealed through that main character's eyes. Your main character needs to be on center stage throughout the entire story, acting and reacting to what is happening in the plot. To do that effectively, reveal only your main character's emotions and thoughts. Tell your reader only what your main character is feeling, not the feelings of other characters.” 0 likes
“One of the best ways to ensure that you are creating an effective main character is to spend some time really getting to know her. Some writers do this by writing a simple character sketch about their main character, detailing her likes and dislikes, her goal, her motivation, her age and personal history, and her physical qualities. (The character worksheet on page 90 guides you in writing a character sketch.) Other writers find it easier to let their characters “talk” to them by writing a letter from their main character to themselves. Some writers prefer “interviewing” the main character as if she were actually in the same room. Still others write a character statement in which the character speaks in first person about herself. These latter exercises have the advantage of actually establishing that character's voice. Both methods will allow you to get to know your character more intimately. And, while all of the character traits and details that you develop during this exercise probably won't be worked into the story, you'll know them, and this will help you maintain your character consistently and help you focus the character's motivation.” 0 likes