4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  362 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Marilyn Monroe: Unseen Archives
Published August 14th 2009 by Parragon Inc (first published August 1st 2003)

Erin
I am a devoted fan of Marilyn. I learned a few new things from this book but not much. Marie Claytons style of writing is good, to the point. I like how she organizes Marilyns life to tell about it. The best part though, are the pictures. Some that we've all seen a hundred times and then, a few more intimate ones. I always enjoy a good book about Marilyn and this was no exception. I had a great time reading it and will flip though it time and time again.
Erika
This review was originally posted on my blog, 100 Stars or Less and can be found here.

*****

Starting out 2011 and looking through my “read” list to see which books I missed reviewing last year I was surprised to find out that this one missed any comments from me. Marilyn Monroe: Unseen Archives was one of my top three favourite books in 2010 so I am here to rectify it’s neglect immediately!

This is a book I settled on after deciding I needed to read more biographies of famous “culturally significa...more
Kelley
A remarkable "figure" in history. No matter how much I read about her I always learn something new. I enjoyed all the unique photos in this book.
Catherine
I love this book sooo much!:) My mom got me it from Hawaii. Marilyn Monroe is my idol and I love her so much! You have to read this book!:p
Valerie Anne
In this book I learned Marilyn suffered from endometriosis, a condition that affects a womens fertility.
Marla
This is a very nice addition to my collection. This is more of a reference book, rather than a read from first to last page book. Lots of beautiful photos.
I think I got this from my brother for Christmas like 3 or 4 years ago. I've always thought Marilyn was a fascinating character but I've never really read anything about her. Since then, I read "Blonde" and was pretty disappointed. This isn't really an in-depth book or anything. It's mostly pictures with brief summaries of what was going on in her life. It was nice to read this after having read a fictional version of her life and seeing where the facts align. I'd like to read a more in-depth bi...more
Linda Smolenski
I'll try to review this book objectively, as for me personally it brought up a lot of feelings.
This book would finally put to rest I believe the image of Marilyn as a "dumb blonde" and it's clear she is anything but that! It reveals a lot of incredibly deep intelligence, constant striving to better herself, deep awareness of self and fears and doubts and insecurities. It fleshes out the icon as a very sympathetic woman. A very sensitive and kind person. I could have read a thousand pages more of...more
Bill

What an excellent biography! The ability through I Pad to view interviews and watch movie scenes really completed my ongoing fascination with her tragic life.
I was also so impressed with Joe DiMaggio, being the only real support in her life, even after they'd split up and she'd married Arthur Miller, Joe still was there for her through all of it and handled her funeral.
Samantha Glasser
There isn't a whole lot of biographical information here, but the reason for getting this book isn't the writing, it's the photos. There are lots of large sized pictures from Marilyn from the beginning of her career through the end of her life. The book is fun to look through, but it isn't great because the paper is like regular book paper, not photo paper.
Pihla
Lots of photographs spanning Ms. Monroe's career from the beginning to the sudden end. Part of the Icons of Our Time -series.
Desiree
It's on my coffee table. Great selection of pix and stories.
Hannah
i absolutely love marilyn monroe
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Rajit
Rajit marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Liam Moran
Liam Moran marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Jules
Jules marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Kristen Cain
Kristen Cain marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Bianca Giorgia
Bianca Giorgia marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Steven Brown
Steven Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Nuno
Nuno marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Priscilla
Priscilla marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
  • The Many Lives of Marilyn Monroe
  • Fragments: Poems, Intimate Notes, Letters
  • The Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe
  • The Secret Letters: of Marilyn Monroe and Jacqueline Kennedy
Elvis Presley (Unseen Archives) John Lennon Marilyn Monroe (Life in Pictures) Life in Pictures: The Beatles Marilyn Monroe