Start by marking “Down Town” as Want to Read:
Down Town

Down Town

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  28 reviews
A rollicking tale of a small Southern town by the bestselling author of Run with the Horsemen With his naturalistic and humorous storytelling style, Ferrol Sams has won fans from all walks of life, especially those drawn to Southern fiction. And while the literary landscape of the rural South is peppered with great storytellers, few are as endearing as James Aloysius "Bust ...more
Published September 30th 2008 by Penguin Books (first published June 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Down Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down Town

Ann Marie
This book made me laugh out loud on several occasions. The characters were colorful. The stories were so unbelievable they were believable. I really really really liked it. Though the voice in my head while reading it was that of Blanche Devareaux and not some backwoods attorney.
Kate
Let me begin this post by saying I absolutely adore Ferrol Sams. I consider him to be one of the premiere southern writers and I loved his trilogy sequencing the life of Porter Osborne from his wild childhood to his education (both intellectual and social...and *ahem* sexual) to his sad journey through World War 2. If you have not read them--Run with the Horsemen, Whisper of the River, and When All the World was Young--get to it now so we can talk.

Gosh, I loved those books so much that I could n
Michelle (meshe)
Synopsis

With his naturalistic and humorous storytelling style, Ferrol Sams has won fans from all walks of life, especially those drawn to Southern fiction. And while the literary landscape of the rural South is peppered with great storytellers, few are as endearing as James Aloysius "Buster" Holcombe, Jr., the observant narrator of Sams's new novel. From Reconstruction, the first World War, the Depressio
Debbie Maskus
Usually, I enjoy the books chosen for this book club, Southern Voices, but I disliked this book. The writing style is similar to Mark Twain's fireside chat with the good old boys that weighed down the story. Ferrol Sams presents a picture of Atlanta from the end of the Civil War to present times. The span is too great and the characters are too many for the reader to enjoy the book. Sams tries to tie all the events and characters together, and instead presents a confusing hodgepodge. The story m ...more
David
Down Town: The Journal of James Aloysius Holcombe, JR. for Ephraim Holcombe Mookinfoos by Ferrol Sams (Mercer University Press 2007) (Fiction - General). I dearly love the writings of author Ferrol Sams. His Run With the Horsemen trilogy which is a barely-disguised autobiography is southern writing at its very best. The current offering, Down Town, is more purely fiction; it is a collection of stories about quirky small-town characters. This volume reads more like Fanny Flagg's Welcome to the W ...more
~mad
This one has been on my shelves since it as published in 2007.

HOW'D I MISS IT?

Very good read.
Hollis Duncan
I was thoroughly disappointed by this book — a slog to read from beginning to end. Although there was a teaspoon of hope in the Benediction that closes Down Town even it didn't measure up to Ferrol Sams' standards. Still few authors match his wit and it's for using such jaw-dropping acronyms as "BMBP!" that's what makes Sams' fiction so fun to read.
Alan
Write a review...I en joyed this, but not as much as the Run with the Horseman trilogy or some of his short story collection like The Widow's Mite. He is an excellent storyteller and here tells the story of a rural Georgia town from Civil War to today as it struggles to maintain its identity as the suburbs of Atlanta come out to engulf it.
Susan
I read this book without expectations. I never expected it to be linked to his other books, and it isn't. The love he shows for a town, real or fictional is evident. The colloquialisms and some of the sayings are true to the area around Fayetteviile, GA. Its fun. Especially after you find out why the story is told.
Karen Breda
This charming book chronicles the history of a southern town's growth over 100 years. The relationships built, the progress made, and the morals of its citizens are revealed in the charming, humorous voice of Aloysius (Buster) Holcombe. His quirky stories made me grin while getting a glimpse of our early history.
Karlyn
My favorite Ferrol Sams yet. Down Town captures the nosy, preposterous, petty, and self-obsessed daily life of residents in one small town. Decades pass and newcomers arrive but the Cofields and their legacy still matter as much in the 1980s as they did when Major Cofield appeared in the days after Sherman's march.
Stephanie Loomis
This book is so linked to the region that is really doesn't have a universal appeal. Native Southerners may enjoy it (the way many Californians like Steinbeck), but otherwise it gets tedious. The end was a nice twist, but it really comes too late to salvage the rest of the book.
The ambiguous narrator at the beginning of the book was hard to get behind. I loved reading the different stories about this town. I thought the "Benediction" part at the end that explained things could have been worked into the beginning of the book.
Chandra Power
Ordinarily I love Ferrol Sams, but this title just didn't work for me. I kept feeling that he had thrown in all the jokes and one-liners he hadn't found a place for in previous books. I just didn't like this one at all.
Ann
Love Ferrol Sams and this was a hoot. However, the one fault is there are so many characters that I got confused at times. Really a laughable tale with a big heart. If you are Southern (as am I) you will enjoy this.
Beth

I have read all his books and this one was extremely hard to get interested in until almost the end of the book. Glad I stuck it out to the finish, but his other books are better reads.
Ann Curry
I never finished this book. I just didn't get drawn in. I was so excited to get a new Ferrol Sams book because I've thoroughly enjoyed all his other work. So disappointed.
Peter
Jan 14, 2008 Peter marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
One of the best parts of Good Books is to stumble upon another treasure. I missed the release of his latest books last year and am off to Amazon to track it down
Gail Strickland
Although knowing the" town"of Downtown somewhat, this book aims for Sams' usual wonderful story telling, but misses.
Barry
A wonderful read. Possibly his best work. Full of the anecdotes that so colored his Porter Osborne trilogy.
Pam Craven
I enjoyed him so much more as a 20 year old...just couldn't wrap my head around this book....not sure why.
Lynne
I am very sorry to be done with Ferrol Sams. What a chronicler of small town life!
Elsie
A wonderful tale of small town Georgia with a surprise at the end.
Lu
Feb 22, 2010 Lu marked it as to-read
America South historical events that shaped our country since 1865
Nicole
Funny and spiritually refreshing.
Julieb
Liked this Sams book the best.
Gary
not his best work by far
Doug Blouch
Doug Blouch marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Childhood: The Biography of a Place
  • Naomi and Her Daughters
  • Between Wrecks
  • Shoot Low, Boys--They're Ridin' Shetland Ponies: In Search of True Grit
  • Selected Stories of Eudora Welty: A Curtain of Green And Other Stories / The Wide Net and Other Stories
  • Once Upon a Time When We Were Colored: Tie In Edition
  • Where Somebody Waits
  • Southern Belly: The Ultimate Food Lover's Guide to the South
  • Two Women of Galilee
  • The Courting of Marcus Dupree
  • Soul of the Sea: Curse of the Sea (#1)
  • The Voice at the Back Door
  • Paul: 90 Days on His Journey of Faith
  • Queen Elizabeth in the Garden: A Story of Love, Rivalry, and Spectacular Gardens
Run with the Horsemen The Whisper of the River When All the World Was Young The Widow's Mite Epiphany: Stories