Start by marking “The Nubian Prince” as Want to Read:
The Nubian Prince

The Nubian Prince

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  72 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
A cutting, comic odyssey of a hapless hero ensnared by globalization, humanitarian aid, and the international sex trade, from an award-winning young Spanish writer

To save lives and get handsomely paid for it--what job could be more rewarding? Moises Froissard has found the career opportunity of his dreams. After a start as a conventional bleeding heart with an idealistic a
Published June 27th 2006 by Metropolitan Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Nubian Prince, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nubian Prince

William
May 14, 2011 William rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness...I've never read a book quite as disturbing as this before...both horrific and damn funny about a subject that even the book jacket says "is immune to humor" I'm gonna have to think about this for a minute before assigning stars or writing a review or even deciding if I liked it. Rhetorical question:..can you give a book 5 stars for its truly unique subject and treatment and still not "like" it?

OK..I'm gonna be thinking about this piece of trash for a very long time...How T.. F..
Joanna
Oct 10, 2011 Joanna rated it it was amazing
The author takes the serious topics of sex slavery/prostitution and international poverty and manages to write an engaging and often funny book. The book is told in first-person narration by one of the "scouts" of an exclusive "Club" to which beautiful and destitute people are recruited. The narrator rationalizes that he's saving the "pieces" from their desperate situations by offering them the chance to earn a lot of money working for the Club.

Despite hating the narrator and his worldview, I fo
Rosanna
Aug 22, 2011 Rosanna rated it really liked it

How can such a serious subject be funny? Bonilla can do it and still the novel is tragic, for all involved.
The themes are many and very timely. Immigration,refugees,the plight of failing countries and government and the people ready to take advantage of all these weaknesses.I kept hoping the protagonist was going to find a way out and be able to save himself.

NuHunni
Jul 19, 2013 NuHunni rated it liked it
well didn't really expect this kind of plot!! when i got the book on a dollar sale, i was simply attracted to the cover of the 'Nubian Prince'..

I didn't hate it!! but i didn't love it either!! kind of disturbing at some points.. like referring to vulnerable people as 'pieces' as they will be turned into a 'machine' to train their bodies into nothing but simply sexually pleasing their clients!!

However, I loved the twisted ending though!!

Would i recommend it? I guess if you haven't got anything e
Naeem
Dec 27, 2007 Naeem rated it did not like it
The sex industry, the problem of world poverty, and "illegal" immigration are the topics of this novel. He is not nearly as hard hitting or interesting as the writer of the Platform or as compassionate as Burdett's three novels on Bangkok.

This book is what happens when a writer cannot climb out of his own commitment to Europeaness. We get a novel about serious issues but lacking even a trace of pathos, compassion, or insight. What a waste.
Chris
Feb 20, 2008 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
This is an addictive little story about an international prostitution ring and their recruiters' hunt for a nubian prince. Yeah. It's not bad; I wish I could have read it in it's original Spanish print.
Emily
Dec 13, 2006 Emily rated it liked it
This spanish author manages to take the subjects of illegal immigrants, the sex trade, poverty, and personal hardship and create a disturbingly lighthearted story that I couldnt put down.
Vivencio
Apr 02, 2012 Vivencio rated it really liked it
with human trafficking/immigration being hot-button issues these days, this gem of a book manages to be simultaneously meditative and satirical.
Nancy
Sep 09, 2009 Nancy rated it liked it
Disturbing story. Okay writing style. Is high-priced prostitution better than living in a garbage dump?
Bren
Jul 22, 2007 Bren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
how can one resist a book featuring a dog called omniscient narrator?
Karla
Karla rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Steven Deibert
Steven Deibert rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2016
Isabelita
Isabelita marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Matheub
Matheub rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Regina Limo
Regina Limo rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2016
Paola
Paola rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Chandler Belfort
Chandler Belfort marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Jesús Trujillo
Jesús Trujillo rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2015
ready0reader
ready0reader rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2015
Áureo
Áureo marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
David Gil
David Gil rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2015
Kaitlin
Kaitlin rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2015
Essam Eldin
Essam Eldin marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Joska
Joska marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015