Start by marking “The Pack: Winter Kill” as Want to Read:
The Pack: Winter Kill

The Pack: Winter Kill (The Pack #1)

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  119 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
For generations, the northern Minnesota mountain region has been a haven for peaceful hikes and breath-taking scenery. But when tourists suddenly turn up dead, FBI special agents Angela Wallace and Brian Shilling are called in to investigate, only to discover that the murders are part of a deadlier, supernatural mystery. In the series fiction debut, THE PACK: WINTER KILL, ...more
Published December 10th 2009 by Evileye Books (first published October 8th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Pack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pack

Neal Hock
Dec 22, 2010 Neal Hock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’d wanted to get a copy of Mike Oliveri’s THE PACK: WINTER KILL since last year. At first, it was released in paperback and for one reason or another I didn’t get around to purchasing it. Then it came out for the Kindle, but it was priced at $9.99 and I decided to hold off on getting it. However, when Evileye Books marked it down to $4.99 for the holiday season, I snatched a copy for my Kindle. I had high expectations for this book based on the buzz I had read about it, and I was not disappoint ...more
Suspense Magazine
Jun 30, 2011 Suspense Magazine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These days, it seems everybody is either writing about vampires or zombies, or looking for a series (or doing a combo of all of that) of their own these days. In some ways, the series is nice, in that nobody has to ask if there will be a sequel. It also allows an author the chance to flesh out characters and ideas introduced and still keep books at an easily accessible size. “The Pack: Winter Kill” is Bram Stoker award winner Mike Oliveri’s attempt at throwing his hat in the series ring. For his ...more
William M.
Jun 29, 2011 William M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is my first experience with author Mike Oliveri and I'm quite impressed. His dialogue is some of the tightest, most crisp I've read in a long time, reminiscent of the great Tom Piccirilli. I had no knowledge of the background of these characters which apparently were part of a limited comic book series, but I had no trouble catching up with the new problems in their lives.

Oliveri writes with an incredible economy of words, and while this book is a bit short for a novel, I always prefer qua
Laura Z
Great Crime/Paranormal Mystery/Thriller. It was a very fun, interesting, and quick read. The characters and the plot kept me interested the entire book, and I read it in one sitting--because I had trouble putting it down! I was surprised at the twist at the end—definitely not expecting that big revelation! Hope the next book comes out soon. I think the second book in the series is going to be even better with some of the Tyler family characters having even bigger, more interesting roles. …And wi ...more
Aaron Ommus
Nov 05, 2009 Aaron Ommus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As editor of this book, I am proud to say it is an inventive, high octane supernatural thriller by Bram Stoker Award Winner, Mike Oliveri.

Look for Mike Oliveri's page here on GoodReads.com. He will be offering commentary and exclusive material to GoodReads members.

I hope you enjoy the book as much as we've enjoyed bringing to you.

Lauren edson-fisher
Dec 18, 2011 Lauren edson-fisher rated it really liked it
a quick read that is frilled with thrills, supsense, twists and turns. I look firward to the next one.
Melinda
Half Crime Novel / Half Werewolf Feast

Let me start out by saying the writing in this novel is actually quite good. The problem that I had was the schizophrenic nature of the plot. Is it a crime drama or is it a mystery?

Because I had not read any of the previous graphic novels, I didn't already know about who was a werewolf. I could have easily guessed. But there is no overt werewolf action in the first 60% of the book. It was simply a matter of fact crime novel. The werewolf story arcs seemed t
VanHalen
Feb 13, 2010 VanHalen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent page turning noir/gore/horror novel about a smuggling drop that goes wrong in a bad location.

Mike Oliveri does an excellent job of moving the story along at a fast clip towards a breakneck ending that can leave one catching their breath.
I say that as a reader, not as a friend of the author, mentioned in the acknowledgments and IN THE STORY!!

I look forward to the next installment of The Pack in whatever form it arrives!
Matthew Gregg
Dec 12, 2011 Matthew Gregg rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
FIRST READS GIVEAWAY WIN: This was a quick, fun read; the characters and setting combined with snappy dialouge, some cleverly constructed scenes and a side dish of gore was nicely stitched together by Mr. Oliveri. I look forward to following "The Pack" in future installations of this series.
Troy Stephen Sanders
Oct 21, 2011 Troy Stephen Sanders rated it it was amazing
This book successfully mixes several genres. Detective, crime and horror meet in the mountains and it is one wicked roller coaster ride to the end. This is one tough book. Read it.
B.L. Hewitt
Apr 04, 2014 B.L. Hewitt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This thriller was a short, fast paced story with a very simple story line. First in the ‘Werewolf Noir Series; The Pack’. More is promised about the Tyler clan in the upcoming ‘Lie with the Dead’. The men of the Tyler clan are not exactly what they seem. The author uses the characters Native American heritage to advantage with these three shape shifting brothers. Throw in an ambitious female FBI agent and band of cowboy gun runners, a snow storm and a shoot out and your have a pretty good story. ...more
Tona
Dec 09, 2011 Tona rated it it was amazing
Great book. I was glad that the book wasn't all centered around werewolves. The story had a good plot with plenty of action.
Lulu
Nov 15, 2011 Lulu marked it as to-read
I won this book from the first reads giveaways and I am so excited to read it. Thanks.
Michael
Mar 03, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it
Full disclosure: Mike Oliveri is a friend of mine. That said, it doesn't matter. I'll give an honest review on anyone.

One of Mike's strongest points as a writer mimics him in person. He is capable of delivering both blunt and colorful narrative with economy. He doesn't waste words, doesn't spend time flowering things up, and he's fond of action. He's sort of a noir anti-Anne Rice, if you will.

WINTER KILL grabs the myth of lycanthropy, shakes off all the sparklies and corruption attached to it b
Julie
Mar 01, 2014 Julie rated it liked it
Book 1 of a series about werewolves, gun-runners and FBI agents. Good mix of characters set in the north where wolves occur naturally, which is a good place for unnatural wolves to hang out. I enjoyed the story though I don't know if I'll look for the rest of the series. It just didn't grab me, though that is purely personal preference, not a knock on the writing.
Shelley
Aug 26, 2014 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Left me wanting more. Sigh....now I have to find all the books in the series and I already promised my husband I would read everything I already had before I bought more books. I guess he will have to live with disappointment. great fast read but it definitely left me needing to find out more about this family.
Sandra Knapp
OK, but not compelling

I was tempted by the general atmosphere, but the characters are still more mystery than known, and I felt not enough of a story to really pull me in, and wanting more. Maybe, one day this series will come out in one large volume, and then I just might be interested.
Sandra Knapp
OK, but not compelling.
Robin
Feb 28, 2014 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just a great read...

I couldn't put this book down. If you like werewolf novels, then this book is for you.
I hope this series continues, looking forward to the next one!
Curtis Hoffmeister
Feb 07, 2014 Curtis Hoffmeister rated it it was amazing
I read this book when it first came out, and I've been waiting (impatiently) ever since for a sequel or another installment in the series. Mike, write some more of these things, will ya?
Richard
Nov 30, 2014 Richard rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am hard-pressed to find any redeeming or negative qualities of this book, aside from the aforementioned gratuitous sex scene culminating in an aggressive altercation amongst a group of male humans.
Heather
Aug 12, 2015 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A little mind numbing to read. Also quite confusing to follow which character was involved in what was going on.
Dan
May 29, 2014 Dan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When I read that it involved skinheads and a main character who was black that this would be bad. Actually wasn't too bad as a crime/noir,but could have been more exciting. Minimal werewolves didn't help either. They didn't appear until the end.Hot mess that perhaps would have been better as a comic book.
Jackie Primo
Pretty good book...just wish the supernatural side of it was explored more throughout the book.
Antonio
Antonio marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Tawny
Tawny marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
John Thorn
John Thorn rated it did not like it
Apr 02, 2016
Dotty
Dotty marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
  • Crooked Hills
  • No One to Hear You Scream
  • Johnny Gruesome
  • Dare to Be Scared: Thirteen Stories to Chill and Thrill
  • The Pines (The Pines Trilogy, #1)
  • Coffin County
  • In the Dark: A Horror Anthology
  • Death, Be Not Proud
  • Rock And Roll Reform School Zombies
  • The Trap
  • Angel & Faith: Lost and Found (Season 10, #2)
  • Scott Nicholson Library, Vol. 1 (Boxed Set)
  • Seance in Sepia
  • Fight Club 2 # 0 (Fight Club Free Comic Book Day)
Mike Oliveri is a writer, martial artist, cigar aficionado, motorcyclist, and family man, but not necessarily in that order. His Bram Stoker Award-winning first novel, Deadliest of the Species, was just reprinted by Evileye Books.
More about Mike Oliveri...

The Pack (2 books)