Start by marking “An Unfinished Marriage an Unfinished Marriage an Unfinished Marriage” as Want to Read:
An Unfinished Marriage an Unfinished Marriage an Unfinished Marriage

An Unfinished Marriage an Unfinished Marriage an Unfinished Marriage

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  633 ratings  ·  67 reviews
In this moving sequel to her national bestseller "A Year by the Sea," Joan Anderson explores the challenges of rebuilding and renewing a marriage with her trademark candor, compassion, andinsight.
With "A Year by the Sea," Joan Anderson struck a chord in many tens of thousands of readers. Her brave decision to take a year for herself away from her marriage, her frankassess
Published March 11th 2003 by Broadway Books (first published March 12th 2002)

Be the first to ask a question about An Unfinished Marriage an Unfinished Marriage an Unfinished Marriage

Lori
I loved Joan Anderson's book "A Year by the Sea" and I was very happy to see that she had written another book about her life. I wasn't disappointed with this novel and read it in one sitting. I have come to the conclusion that either you like this writing style, a memoir with a homey feel, or you don't. With that said, what this book is, is Joan's opinions about her life and her observations about her marriage. This book won't appeal to everyone. Not everyone will agree with her opinions and ma ...more
Linda
Due to computer problems, I've been "mostly" at the library and doing a best efforts to do my work and go home. However, I had the urge to browse and in doing so, sitting on the shelf was Joan Anderson's, An Unfinished Marriage. I've read A Year by the Sea twice and Thoughts of An Unfinished Woman. I loved both.

Yet,this is Joan Anderson's finest work (in my humble opinion). I read it almost from start to finish and please forgive my dating - I still haven't figured out the ins and outs of Goodr
Sonya Feher
An Unfinished Marriage is Anderson's follow up memoir to A Year by the Sea, which told the story of her sabbatical from her marriage as she tried to find her way back to herself. Now, she's back with her husband as they try to remember what brought them together originally, what they have in common, and how to make a life with each other now that their boys are grown and out of the house. My experience of this book was much like her last. Though I am fascinated by the concept, Anderson's traditi ...more
Patrick
Sandra Pitaniello
I loved this book. It's the sequel to her first book "A Year By The Sea". I give both books 5 stars. These books are nonfiction. Joan Anderson's first book is about her one year journey while living in a small vacation cottage that was used for summers only. Joan had spent most of her married life raising children, cooking, having parties and supporting her husband in his work. When the "empty nest" was firmly in place her husband came home one day and said he had taken a position in another sta ...more
Cindy
Another wonder by a favorite author of mine. I love her wisdom. So many quotables exist. After living alone in A Year By the Sea, Joan and her husband begin the task of reassembling their lives together.

pg. 46 "After a time, life with another should not be about gazing at each other, but instead looking outward together at the same sight."

pg. 102 "The damnable thing about married children is their enormous need to create boundaries around their space. It's a veritable mine field we're meant to w
Jacki
Being fairly new to this marriage business (we've been married just over a year), it was so interesting to hear a perspective from the other end. Joan and Robin had been married for 30 years when she got fed up and needed to be solo. I guess that was the subject of her last book, which I never read.

This book is what happened after that- her first year rejoined with her husband.

Her thoughts and ideas about marriage and life and children and friends were just delicious and so true. I hate reading
Leah
I dog-eared so many pages in this book because there are pearls of wisdom in every Chapter. Following her year of solitude away from her family, Joan and her husband reunite. The book is sticky and raw and honest as she describes the challenges that come with trying to reconcile a marriage when you are so independent.

There were times when I felt like she was being whiny, complaining, not giving things a chance, but when i think about how tough relationships can be, I was more understanding abou
Alysia
I like the continuation of what happened to her relationship from her first memoir. I tire of hearing of people "looking inward" and then discovering that their marriage isn't worth saving. Sometimes it might not be... but I'm glad that she decided hers was. As did her husband. He had a great line at the end of this book about how a man honors his marriage says something about the man in particular. There were some pieces of advice that I agree with. Only having been married for a dozen years, I ...more
Vicki
The message in this book is one that we hear frequently but I think do not always think about what it really entails, but it is a message worth heeding especially in this day and age. Again Joan's book is like talking with a good friend who is willing to be vulnerable by sharing her thoughts and struggles with you.
Mary Novaria
Another good one by Joan Anderson... filled with self-realization, forgiveness and acceptance. How many couples look at each other after the kids are grown and gone--or even before--and wonder: "Now what?" It's a gift that Anderson (as well as her husband) is willing to share her personal story of almost giving up, then finding her way back to friendship, affection and happiness in a 30-plus year marriage. This book is like a meditation, slowly unfolding against the landscape of Cape Cod. Anders ...more
Gloria
An appropriate sequel to Anderson's A Year By the Sea-- where she took a year "away" from her husband to rediscover herself after 30+ years of marriage.
This book deals with the following year, where they come back together ... residual bitterness and slight misunderstandings still hovering. But it's beautiful in that it offers such a picture of grace and reality. It wasn't all romance and reconnection once together again. It was patience, perseverance, realizations, and adapting.

My favorite lin
Sheri
I read "A year by the sea" and grabbed this book. It's a sequel to the other book, the secong half of the story...
Joan and Robin have decided to give their marriage a go, after she decided in favor of a year's seperation ((not knowing how long it would be, but it ended up being a year) They are having their struggles in the small cottage on the cape, as every couple has in every cape!
The book is written in her refreshing honest clear way, introspective and sometimes sad and sometimes humorou
Eileen
Interesting follow-up to A Year by the Sea. And fortunately I finished one book and started the next seamlessly. The growth of a woman "finding" who she was by herself, then settling back into her marriage. Both she and her husband had to work out how their lives would once again join to become one. Retirement can be especially hard for men, I think, when they find they have a feeling of losing their identity or self-worth. How am I so lucky to have a husband who doesn't have these issues! We lo ...more
Jackie
And then I went on to read Joan Anderson’s second book, An Unfinished Marriage in which she mentions Gerald May’s The Awakened Heart: Opening Yourself to the Love You Need. This author also wrote, Addiction and Grace. Anderson also quotes from Marion Woodman’s, The Pregnant Virgin: “If we have lived behind a mask all our lives, sooner or later – if we are lucky – that mask will be smashed. Then we will have to look in the mirror at our own reality” (119).

Hopefully I will find more tidbits for th
Doranne Long
I enjoyed this book, and found it to be very helpful personally,
for me, and for my own marriage.
Darah Zeledon
Well-written, super insightful and provocative. However, it dragged on way too long and grew monotonous. At some point, I believe, you got to stop analyzing your life and just live it.
Terry
Not a very interesting book.
Tracey
This followup to A Year by the Sea is simply okay. Good points include the introduction of the husband, and he and Joan exploring the aspects of this new chapter in their lives. Again, Anderson's writing is subtle, and the book is far, far too short to delve deep into some of the necessary components to rebuilding a marriage. Yet that almost makes it seem more truthful: sometimes, life doesn't have big whiz-bang moments as much as it has a string of small happenings and observations, connected t ...more
Sharon donilon
It is like reading my own story has how my marriage was missing substance. She also talks about how her marriage was in the beginning and how slowly it lost the lust. She took a year break from her marriage and husband to regain herself and how hard it was to work on getting it back as it was in the beginning. This is how so many marriages loose what they once had by everyday life. Still reading and havent yet found out the outcome of if she and her husband really were able to put it back as it ...more
Diana
This bestseller is by the same woman who wrote another bestseller--"A Year by the Sea"--it is about the author's efforts to mend her marriage after a year of seclusion, while she was trying to "find herself." There are some great insights about marriage and relationships with adult children in the book--but the conversations seem so unreal--stilted speeches, not the way that people speak--that I found myself sighing and shaking my head in disbelief as I read it.
Rebecca
I found this to be a thought provoking and inspiring account of how one woman is negotiating the seasoning of her marriage. Some of it didn't seem entirely genuine--I couldn't believe that she really remembers all of the details that she recounts. But I still found it moving, and her overriding theme is one that I can learn from--that we are responsible for our own growth as human beings, and our partners are there to share our progress with us.
Thewritingmommy
i couldn't imagine doing what she did. i enjoyed the book and at the same time, i couldn't understand her. i felt she was being selfish at first and almost didn't finish the book, but then, i began to see how my mom would have benefited from such honesty with herself, and indeed how we all could benefit from it. I haven't had a "year by the sea" but i did enjoy the book and new considerations it brought.
Heather Mays
Book 2 (yes I'm reading them out of order) of the life of a middle aged woman coming to terms with who she is, now that the children are grown and what her marriage is all about, now that the husband has retired. A compelling look at a couple's past, present and future, when the roles never stay the same and the objectives are constantly shifting. I loved it. Thanks Mimi for suggesting it.
Linda
In "Unfinished Marriage", a sequel to “A Year by the Sea”, Anderson tells of her reconciliation with her husband, Robin, as they continue to live in the house on Cape Cod where she spent a year alone. They call the process “recycling”, using the original materials of their marriage to create a new partnership. I enjoyed getting to know more about this couple and their family.

Karen
A follow-up to her book, "A Year by the Sea". After a year of living alone in her Cape Cod cottage, Joan Anderson's husband moves in and they face the process of building a new relationship. Not only do they examine their marriage and family, but adjust to once again living together as her husband deals with being recently retired. I recommend reading "A Year" and then this one.
Amy
A well written book. I only wish I could have agreed with the author more. After 12 years of marriage and 2 children, I think I have enough experience to say that Anderson's conclusions about middle aged marriage don't have to be so humdrum and lacking in passion. She had so many other insightful things to say. I was disappointed when I came to the end.
Xunnie
I read this as I was working through a rough patch in my own marriage and I loved the hope and the strength that Joan showed in her writing. A quick, fairly easy read. And one that I ended up blogging about. I loved that Joan reminds us to think in longer, broader terms sometimes and to realize that there are many facets to a relationship.
Lauralynn
Love love love. This woman is to be admired and respected. She wrote an honest and beautiful account of a season of her life. I read that she even does speaking engagements. I would definitely pay to go and also will be reading this one again along with the companion novel, (which should be read first), called "A Year By The Sea".
Chelsea
Feb 26, 2009 Chelsea rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Women
This book is so dead on. Joan Anderson has so much wisdom and has a way with words to make you think about your own life. If you are interested in Joan Anderson, read A Year By The Sea An Unfinished Woman and then read this book. I look forward to all books by Anderson...she has something to say to all women of all ages.
  • Eavesdropping: A Memoir of Blindness and Listening
  • Find Me
  • Shiksa Goddess
  • Running to the Mountain: A Midlife Adventure
  • Bodies in Motion and at Rest: On Metaphor and Mortality
  • Firstlight: The Early Inspirational Writings of Sue Monk Kidd
  • Two-Part Invention: The Story of a Marriage (The Crosswicks Journal, #4)
  • Dearly Beloved
  • Moonlight Sonata at the Mayo Clinic
  • We Are Our Mothers' Daughters
  • If I Had My Life to Live Over
  • Through the Door of Life: A Jewish Journey between Genders
  • Surrendering to Motherhood: Losing Your Mind, Finding Your Soul
  • Comet's Tale: How the Dog I Rescued Saved My Life
  • In the Wake of the Goddesses: Women, Culture, and the Biblical Transformation of Pagan Myth
  • The Laws of Harmony
  • The Art of Imperfection: Simple Ways to Make Peace with Yourself
  • Cottage for Sale, Must Be Moved: A Woman Moves a House to Make a Home
Ever since I can remember I have been curious—asking questions, trying to figure out life’s meaning—all in an effort to live fully and get it right. My career began as a stringer reporter for the Gannett newspaper chain. As I practiced the craft of writing, I moved on to photo essays books for children, then the breakthrough book, Breaking the TV Habit, and finally into the genre of memoir. The la ...more
More about Joan Anderson...
A Year by the Sea A Walk on the Beach: Tales of Wisdom From an Unconventional Woman A Weekend to Change Your Life: Find Your Authentic Self After a Lifetime of Being All Things to All People The Second Journey: The Road Back to Yourself Stretch Marks  Essays for the Unfinished Woman