Start by marking “Myth-Gotten Gains (Myth Adventures, #17)” as Want to Read:
Myth-Gotten Gains (Myth Adventures, #17)

Myth-Gotten Gains (Myth Adventures #17)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  851 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Aahz discovers that the shabby-looking sword he bought at a flea market in a remote dimension is Ersatz, leader of the Golden Hoard, a fabled collection of powerful magical treasures that can turn any ordinary being into a hero. They go in search of the other members of the Hoard, only to find that they're not the only ones looking. A dancer named Calypsa, working with Aah ...more
Published September 7th 2006 by Meisha Merlin Publishing (first published September 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Myth-Gotten Gains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Myth-Gotten Gains

Roman
I recently picked up Myth, and this book made me stop and realise that the quality of the books had been diminishing as I continued past say vol 8 or 9. Sure, it was an ok read, and there were definitely some bad puns I enjoyed... Merry Tiler Moor??? really???, but from beginning to end, Aahz doesn't seem to change much. Sure, he does some generous things against his usual nature near the end, but it seems this is a story of essentially flat characters, and not even the funny ones we're used to. ...more
Spigana
Labi, ka šinī sērijā vairs tikai 2 grāmatas atlikušas, jo pamazām jau sāk apnikt, bet sērijas vidū pamest ar negribas. Šīs sērijas galvenā atziņa- nevajag sērijas vidū sākt to rakstīt kopā ar otru rakstnieku- brīdī, kad sērijai parādījās otra autore, tā strauji sāka zaudēt kvalitāti.

Šī konkrētā grāmata ierindojas kaut kur starp 3 un 4 zvaigznēm, bija pat gana interesanta, bet jau atkal šķita nevajadzīgi iestiepta, pie kam Mītu sērijas grāmatas pamazām zaudē burvīgo humora izjūtu, kas bija galven
Kristen
Wish Tananda had had more presence in this book. If that had been the case, I might have made it a three star. I still like Aahz and Skeeve together the best!
Ints
Āzs dodas kārtējos piedzīvojumos. Tehniski viņš ir atvaļinājumā. Taču tad kādā krāmu tirgū viņš nopērk leģendāro zobenu Erzacu. Zobens ir ne tikai runājošs, bet arī Zelta ordas viens no pārstāvjiem. Šajā ordā ir apvienojušies visspēcīgākie artefakti starp dimensijām. Āzu gan vairāk uztrauc tas kā atgūt savu sākotnējo investīciju 10 zelta gabalu apjomā. Pamazām Āzs tiek iepīts afērā, kuras mērķis ir kādas Walt iedzīvotājas vectēva glābšana. Un jo tālāk risinās notikumi, jo mazākas izredzes ir atg ...more
David
Myth-gotten gains is almost a myth-begotten adventure with very little redeeming to it. It is poorly paced and reads like an imitation of the original novels in this series. It is sort of like an author was trying to replicate another author's work. Oh! That pretty much seems to be the case here as the novel was co-authored by Jody Lynn Nye, an author who seems to piggy back on other author's work (judging by an Amazon search and seeing she has written with\for Anne McCaffery, etc.)

Here's the ba
L.
Focus for this book in the series is on Aahz and is told in first person from him. This one counters the last book dealing with Skeeve. MYTH Inc was disbanded several books ago and these are the adventures of some of the characters in their lives after that event. Aahz picks up an old sword on Deva and finds out it is a great magical sword and is one of the few remaining items of 'The Golden Hoard'. Aahz is unwittingly caught up in helping dancing bird-being Calypsa free her imprisoned grandfath ...more
Helen
I loved the MYTH, INC. books when Robert Asprin wrote them alone, so picking up these partnership books is something I did with a mix of hope and trepidation. While the humor is still there, the pace seems slower at the beginning of these co-written books. However, once the story is established, the pace picks up, particularly in the second half of this book. I was also initially disappointed that Skeeve isn't the hero--or even present in--this book, but Aahz and Tananda pick up the slack admira ...more
Jack
The late, great Robert Asprin is always a delight to read, especially his "Myth" series. This book features the Pervert... um,PerVECT, Aahz, and his myth... erm... MISS-adventures while on vacation. He is reunited with a Trollop, meets a Walt (a race of dancing bird-like humanoids) and embarks on a quest to gather the "Magic Hoard" when he runs into a talking sword. Now, if he can just get them to quit bickering...

Puns and bad jokes abound, as they always do in this series.

I find it ironic that
Robert
Enjoyable, with a fun original approach to intelligent enchanted weapons, but undone by our protagonist Aahz stepping out of, then remaining out of, character. One of the weakest endings of the series.
Oliver
Very good. I also miss the gang... but this is a different gang being brought together.
Tim Hicks
Two and a half.
Worth reading, I suppose, if you read fast.
Below average for the MYTH series, but that's no crime.
Not much dramatic tension in this. There's an overall feeling that it's a bit mechanical.
The plot is built around all these magic things, and they all have to get a turn.
The jokes and puns are so lame you have to admire them. They were obviously MEANT to be bad.
Perhaps the target audience has become a bit younger than the earlier books, or maybe I'm just aging.
Overall, it felt
This was "ok" as far as the books in the Myth series goes, missing some of the humor prevalent in the series. The story focuses on Aahz and Tamanda working together to reunite a group of magickal objects called the Golden Horde.

The book was missing some of the fast paced zing usually found in the books, but whether it was solely a function of the writing or the characters (Aahz is sort of blah overall) is hard to tell.
Dehibberdwrites
Robert Asprin writes brilliant humor in his MYTH series. He creates an odd assortment of characters that are fun to read about. I would read the books to my family and we laughed our way through all the books. If you like humor, magic, mobsters, demons, dragons, and other such characters, read Robert's MYTH books. If you don't like those kinds of characters, read the books and you will come away with some crazy new friends.
Milo
I used to love this series. Maybe it's the lack of Skeeve in this adventure, maybe it's just that I've outgrown it, but the latest edition filled me with "meh." Not sure I'll pick up the next. It's a decent enough caper but not particularly exciting and there's no real drama.
Walt
This cross-dimensional treasure hunt was clever and well-written. However, I felt Asprin was trying too hard in making it funny. He added too many new characters (the artifacts all talk) and the result was that even Asprin's fans had trouble distinguishing between them.
Tracy
I don't know....I can't get too into the MYTH books that don't have Skeeve. It was okay when it was a composite of all the MYTH Inc folk, but just having Aahz and Tananda seemed really flat. This used to be one of my favorite series right up until this book.
Rebecca
I could have done without the repeated jokes, and I've already tired of hearing the story from Aahz's point of view. One trip through his head was fine, thanks.

The sentient artifacts being gathered like an old army was kind of funny, though.
I LOVE the myth series. Aahz and Skeeve are a welcome escape when life gets hectic. I miss the old comraderie and magic from the old partnership, though. I hope that Robert and Jodie bring them all together again soon!
Louis
Was torn trying to decide if this rates 3 or 4 stars. I find the series fun but this was a bit strained. without Skeeve, there is often no comedic and straight being roles defined.
Nicole
An interesting book. The first in this series that I've read. The Pervect/Pervert jokes get old after awhile. Overall, I stil lwant to read the other series books.
Patrick
Robert Asprin has a whole MYTH Series that I have read quite books from and I really enjoy them. They are just fun books to read, plain and simple.
Michael
One of the best recent additions to the series, but I agree with others -- it doesn't come close to the first few.
Jackie
not as good as the older books but I did enjoy this one, thought Aahz was a little soft though.
Patty
How can you pass up a book with Aahz as the main character?
Michael
If haven't read it, I would not've missed anything
Trista
funny and witty, much like the rest of the series.
ChJ Loveall
A story focused on Aahz and that is okay.
Kathywelch
See book 1
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Miza Peters
Miza Peters marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
  • Robert Asprin's Myth-Quoted
  • Well-Tempered Clavicle (Xanth, #35)
  • A Difficulty with Dwarves (The Ballad of Wuntvor, #1)
  • Turn the Other Chick (Chicks in Chainmail, #5)
  • The Blood of Ten Chiefs (The Blood of Ten Chiefs, #1)
  • The Warlock Wandering (Warlock Series, #5)
  • The Unhandsome Prince
  • Dragons of the Hourglass Mage (Dragonlance: The Lost Chronicles, #3)
Robert (Lynn) Asprin was born in 1946. While he wrote some stand alone novels such as Cold Cash War, Tambu and The Bug Wars and also the Duncan and Mallory Illustrated stories, Bob is best known for his series fantasy, such as the Myth Adventures of Aahz and Skeeve, the Phule’s Company novels and the Time Scout novels written with Linda Evans. He also edited the groundbreaking Thieves’ World antho ...more
More about Robert Lynn Asprin...
Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1) Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2) Myth Directions (Myth Adventures, #3) Hit or Myth (Myth Adventures, #4) Phule's Company (Phule's Company, #1)