Start by marking “The Rose of Martinique: A Life of Napoleon's Josephine” as Want to Read:
The Rose of Martinique: A Life of Napoleon's Josephine

The Rose of Martinique: A Life of Napoleon's Josephine

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  252 ratings  ·  34 reviews
One of the most remarkable women of the modern era, Josephine Bonaparte was born Rose de Tasher on her family's sugar plantation in Martinique. She embodied all the characteristics of a true Creole-sensuality, vivacity, and willfulness. Using diaries and letters, Andrea Stuart expertly re-creates Josephine's whirlwind of a life, which began with an isolated Caribbean child ...more
Published May 16th 2005 by Grove Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Rose of Martinique, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rose of Martinique

The Lit Bitch
Stuart does a fantastic job of making history read like fiction. Normally there are places in a biographies that I struggle to read through, but Stuart held my attention through each chapter.
Jane Routley
What a fascinating life Josephine lead. Unhappy wife, gay divorcee, revolutionary prisoner, Coquette, Napoleonic it girl, trendsetter. She lived in interesting times and witnessed great events. Yet she was in many ways quite an ordinary woman, very charming but no great intellect, preferring shopping and gossip to letter writing. This fascinating autobiography shines a light on the France of the period and brings to life the charm of the woman. Its shows just how vital Josephine was to Napoleon' ...more
Toni
This book might actually be 2 stars, but the subject matter and her life, no matter how poorly handled and unexceptionally told, is so exceptional in its own right, as to eclipse the shortcomings of the writer. I recently read the trilogy The Many Lives and Secret Sorrows of Josephine B. by Sandra Gulland. This trilogy was one of those historical fiction books that is 95% non-fiction/biographical with 5% of fiction used as dialogue. It was a fantastic trilogy. I fell in love with the amazing Jos ...more
Michael Heath-Caldwell
Andrea Stuart's book is about Rose La Pagerie who became the Empress Josephine of France, because Napoleon seemed to like to rename people. A very interesting book looking at life in the last years of the Ancien Regime, the arrival of the French Revolution and the unexpectedly horrific outcome of mob rule. Rose nearly lost her head and her first husband did. Then after Robespierre gets a bit of his own desserts served on him the Terror rapidly subsides and Rose continues on in Paris, courted by ...more
Mary Ann
This was one of the most well-written and compelling biographies I've ever read. I'd read a number of bios of Napoleon but this was the first that really provided me with a sense of him as a private person. Rose Beauharnais, named Josephine, is extraordinary. Raised in Martinique, married to an aristocratic who was guillotined during the Terror, Josephine was an amazing survivor. Someone who made herself into one of the most beloved individuals of her time--an extraordinary wife, mother and empr ...more
Laura C.
This fascinating and intelligently written book by Andrea Scott about the life of Josephine, Napoleon’s great inamorata is going to be very hard for me to return to the library. Josephine was born on the Island of Martinique while it was a French possession. Her real name was Rose de Tasher. Napoleon renamed her Josephine because he could. My temptation is to carry on listing some of the fabulous details of her life, but that would possibly spoil the book for you. Let me just say that I have new ...more
Sandi Steinberg
Oct 06, 2010 Sandi Steinberg rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in historical biography or Friench or Caribbean history
This is an intelligent, well-researched book that deserved to be reviewed in major US newspapers which it wasn't. (I looked online.)

The author pays particular attention to the history and slave-owning culture of Martinique, where Josephine was born Marie-Josephe-Rose Tascher de la Pagerie, the daughter of a plantation owner who kept 150 slaves. One of the sub-themes of the book, which is quite well handled, is the influence of Martiniquan society on Rose (as her family called her) and the way im
Sherwood Smith
Things I loved: that Andrea Stuart concentrated on presenting Josephine the leader of fashion, without hagiography or excoriation. I loved that she gave the reader an excellent background of colonial life, and the explosion of change happening there. I loved the quotations from letters. I loved the descriptions of Paris.

Pretty much the only thing that set me aback was her perpetuating the myth about Talleyrand's deformed foot being caused by a fall--that myth has been disproved for years. Decade
Ariel
Really interesting biography. I especially loved the in-depth look at Paris before, during and after the Revolution. A picture is painted of the times much more vividly than any history textbook. The author gives marvellous descriptions about the politics, culture, decadence, fashions, and ways of life, even describing the stench of the streets in full sensory detail. Transporting!
Kate
Andrea Stuart has crafted an amazing life of Josephine, and unlike other biographers, has kept her as an individual separate from Napoleon.

This biography digs deep into the life of Josephine, drawing on many sources: Josephine's own writings, those of her family and friends, as well as public records from the time. I was impressed by the effort Stuart took to place her life in context, particularly the background she provided for Josephine's early life in Martinique as part of a family of slave
Carolann

I enjoyed reading this one.

Did you know that Josephine was not even her real name?

Did you know one of her passions was flowers?
She managed to grow over 250 species of roses
And roses are what she is mainly known for now.

You will find out all that and more in this book.

I loved reading the love letters Napoleon wrote her.
I read a few out loud to myself even.

Though it seems she went through many hard times.
What I take away from this book is that she never gave up.

She went from being imprisoned durin
Karen
A very well done biography. Josephine is so often overshadowed by her famous spouse, but she was a fascinating character in her own right.
April
I knew almost nothing about Josephine Bonaparte until I read this book. It was interesting, but I came away feeling like I didn't know the "real" Josephine (whose real name was Rose, Napoleon gave her the name Josephine). As an adult she created a persona that wasn't real. She kept it up until the end of her life. It was how she survived and it became part of who she was. I really didn't like the way the book portrayed her, so I didn't enjoy the book as much as I might have if I had had a better ...more
Sara
Very well written and a lot more enjoyable to read as far as biographies go. It gave more of a broad view of not just her family but the events occurring around her and brought up a lot of facts I learned from Grade 12 World History. It doesn't paint her as a saint or a sinner but simply a human being and you truly sympathize with what she had to go through and knowing what's going to happen next (not my first book read on her). If there's one book you have to read on Josephine I'd recommend thi ...more
Clare
In The Rose of Martinique, Andrea Stuart succeeds so well at creating a vivid portrait of Josephine that I was shocked to discover that I’m not particularly interested by the woman herself, which is certainly no slam on Stuart’s considerable skills. She creates an equally vivid social history of a very interesting time in French history to place Josephine in her social context. I enjoyed it for the social history; if you like Josephine, you’ll enjoy it more.
Whitney
I absolutely loved reading this. Not only did I learn many new facts about Josephine, but Stuart also manages to incorporate the unfolding histories of the French military, sciences, literature, arts, fashion and economy.

This is a fabulous writer who is able to make the era and the people come alive and seem fresh with just enough detail to keep the reader enthralled, but not too much to make the work sound overly academic or detached in tone.
Elizabeth
A very interesting true story of a young immigrant girl with natural warmth and grace who navigates the social circles of Paris pre- and post- French Revolution, marries a socially awkward yet ambitious young general (Napoleon), then rises to become Empress of France. The historical facts and perspectives very interesting, but the book was poorly written for a story with this much potential.
Cristina Contilli
Una biografia che racconta la vita di Josephine dall'infanzia all'incoronazione ad imperatrice dei francesi nel 1804. L'autore non fa sconti a Josephine, descrivendola come una donna affascinante e spregiudicata, ma mostrando anche le difficoltà che ha dovuto affrontare e che hanno formato il suo carattere: dal matrimonio a 15 anni fino all'incarcerazione durante il periodo del terrore.
Kathryn Harper
A very enjoyable read. Not only is the content of Rose/Josephine's life incredibly interesting, the manner in which Stuart write about it is so captivating. Her vocabulary is impressive and highly descriptive. The only issue I had was Stuart's comma usage, and the fact that some of the paragraphs felt awkward--like they were forced in--but otherwise, a great book.
Jennie
I really enjoyed the information. I read the book during a "french revolution" phase of my reading that included The Scarlet Pimpernell, a fictious series about Josephine and Le Miserables. This particular biography though was not terribly engaging in writing style, although it was better than a few translations of french biographies I looked at.
Helen
Very readable biography of Rose aka Josephine, with enough history woven in to make it comprehensible. But I began to worry about the lack of critique of Rose/Josephine - I'm not sure I buy into this view that she was so perfect at Napoleon's consort. However, I enjoyed the book and it's inspired me to visit Malmaison.
Kim
Everyone loves a book about the Caribbean islands and Paris! The life and times of Josephine Bonaparte are filled with sounds, smells, and sights. The biography of Josephine was recommended by a parent of one of my after school students and my mom bought me this book for Christmas. This book beats any movie out there :)
Christine Ward
Simply put, one of the best biographies I've ever read. Compelling, engaging, and meticulously researched, this book about one of the world's most fascinating women reads like fast-paced historical fiction. I am saddened to finish it, but it was wonderful while it lasted - and I look forward to re-reading it.
Fiona
Being born West Indian, creole myself. I could relate to the book, the story and life of Josephine: from humble beginings, her first marriage, and eventual marriage to Napolean. Josephine defined the social milieu and politics of the age, 17th century France.
Erin
Loved this! Brings the Empress back to life as a very warm, genuine woman, rather than the faded caricature most of us know - if we know of her at all. Just enough of the political and military milieu to make sense.
David Alexander
Loved the story, loved the book. My only criticism is that I found the part about how she managed to escape execution during the reign of terror pretty hard to believe. There had to be more to the story.
Really enjoyed this, the only thing I wish is that it had included more about the Boneparte's in addition to Napoleon, but overall it was a fabulous book about a very interesting person.
Raha
Apr 14, 2009 Raha added it
As a true lover of any story on Napoleon, his brothers, his sisters, Josephine, Marie Luis, Desiree, and Bernadotte, I adore this novel as well as the others.
Elysium
Didn't know anything about Josephine before this so it was very interesting to read. Good book and I really enjoyed it.
Amy Komrska
So sad it's over. This is the third biography of Rose/Josephine's life and by FAR the best.
  • Royal Charles: Charles II and the Restoration
  • Athenais: The Life of Louis XIV's Mistress, the Real Queen  Of France
  • Napoleon: His Wives and Women
  • Queen of Scots: The True Life of Mary Stuart
  • Josephine
  • Nell Gwyn: Mistress to a King
  • My Just Desire: The Life of Bess Raleigh, Wife to Sir Walter
  • The Tigress of Forlì: Renaissance Italy's Most Courageous and Notorious Countess, Caterina Riario Sforza de Medici
  • Dancing to the Precipice: Lucie Dillon, Marquise de la Tour du Pin and the French Revolution
  • The Lost King of France: How DNA Solved the Mystery of the Murdered Son of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette
  • Triangular Road: A Memoir
  • The Kings' Mistresses: The Liberated Lives of Marie Mancini, Princess Colonna, and Her Sister Hortense, Duchess Mazarin
  • Madame Tussaud: A Life in Wax
  • The Rise of Napoleon Bonaparte
  • Madame de Pompadour: Mistress of France
  • Dragon Lady: The Life and Legend of the Last Empress of China
  • The Secret Wife of Louis XIV: Françoise d'Aubigné, Madame de Maintenon
  • She Wolves: The Notorious Queens of Medieval England
Andrea Stuart was born in Barbados in 1962. She spent many of her early years in Jamaica,where her father, Kenneth, was Dean of the medical school at the University College of the West Indies - the first university in the Caribbean.

In 1976, when she was a teenager, she moved with her family to England. She studied English at the University of East Anglia and French at the Sorbonne. Her book The Ro
More about Andrea Stuart...
Sugar in the Blood: A Family's Story of Slavery and Empire Chain of Love Showgirls