Start by marking “The Message in the Haunted Mansion” as Want to Read:
The Message in the Haunted Mansion

The Message in the Haunted Mansion (Nancy Drew #122)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  424 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Nancy Finds Mischief, Mystery, and Danger -- All Under One Roof!
Nancy, Bess, and George have joined the Drews' housekeeper, Hannah Gruen, on a trip to San Francisco. They have come at the invitation of Hannah's friend Rose Green, who has asked their help in renovating a charming old Victorian mansion. But there may be other, uninvited guests as well: visitors from the pa
Published August 30th 2001 by Aladdin (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Message in the Haunted Mansion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Message in the Haunted Mansion

Nancy Drew was part of my childhood, yet I had never read this one. I had played the Her Interactive game of it though, and I got curious to see how it differed from the original storyline. As usual, there are several characters that are removed from the plot line while other characters become much different from their book descriptions. In this case, they were justified changes to fit the tone of the first person game.
The book still contains that sweet innocence Nancy Drew always meant to me, a
Sarah Crawford
Apr 01, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nancy, her friends and Hannah take a trip to San Francisco to help a friend of Hannah's fix up an old mansion. It's an old Victorian-style place that needs a fair amount of work. Things would go much better, though, if accidents weren't happening frequently, including glass falling, a chandelier falling and a fire.

Then there's a mysterious young boy, missing food, and the legend of a woman who ran away with a bandit. Related to that is the legend of hidden gold. A lot of it.

There's also a neat s
Miri
May 04, 2014 Miri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nancy, Bess, George and Hannah are visiting a friend of Hannah's, Rose, who along with her niece Abby are renovating an old Victorian Mansion, to turn it into a bed and breakfast, but their plans are continually delayed by accidents. Falling windows, broken Chandeliers, fires, floods, disaster after disaster seems to be plaguing their every move. Is this the work of an unhappy spirit, or is there a flesh and blood culprit with a hidden motive to stop the mansion from becoming an inn? It's up to ...more
Linda
Aug 12, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This later Nancy Drew book was actually quite good and was an enjoyable quick read. It was reminiscent of the old Nancy Drew mysteries. Nancy and her friends accompany housekeeper Hannah to San Francisco where a friend of Hannah's is renovating an old Victorian mansion into a bed and breakfast. Someone doesn't want them there and someone wants the project to fail. Accidents keep occurring and they get more and more dangerous. There's a lot of San Francisco atmosphere in this book and the mystery ...more
LuAnn
Dec 24, 2012 LuAnn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reread this after completing the computer game of the same name. Book translated well to the game. Another solid later Nancy Drew Mystery with a fun San Francisco Victorian house setting and some history thrown in.
Ashleigh
Read to compare it to the Her Interactive game. I assume they combined Tim and Charlie--resulting in a young Charlie. Someone knows their demographic...
Sarra Martin
I used to have the computer game for this (not sure if I still do) and I never knew this had a book! Is it worth reading?
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read every single one of these growing up--I thought she was the bees knees
Manal
Aug 15, 2009 Manal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was susch an amazing book
Bethany Heid
Bethany Heid marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Laxmi Ganguly
Laxmi Ganguly rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2016
Arathi
Arathi marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Amri
Amri marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Miriam Farås
Miriam Farås marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Tammy Goldthorpe
Tammy Goldthorpe marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Nikki
Nikki rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Bec
Bec added it
Jul 21, 2016
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Abraham
Abraham marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Sara Carstairs
Sara Carstairs rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Megan David
Megan David marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Griselda
Griselda marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Zoe Evermoore
Zoe Evermoore rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Janet Eriksson
Janet Eriksson marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
  • The Demon of River Heights (Nancy Drew: Girl Detective Graphic Novels, #1)
  • The Official Nancy Drew Handbook
  • Nancy Drew's Guide To Life
  • The Four Dragons (W.I.T.C.H. Chapter Books, #9)
  • Kidnapped (Nightmare Hall, #27)
  • Out of the Dark (W.I.T.C.H. Chapter Books, #8)
  • Bayport Buccaneers (Hardy Boys: Undercover Brothers, #16)
  • A Bridge Between Two Worlds (W.I.T.C.H., #10)
  • Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories My Mother Never Told Me
  • The Cry of the Loon: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Girl Sleuth: Nancy Drew and the Women Who Created Her

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10)