Start by marking “The Only Grant-Writing Book You'll Ever Need: Top Grant Writers and Grant Givers Share Their Secrets” as Want to Read:

This is the revised and expanded edition of the most sought-after guide for everyone seeking grants: nonprofits, state and local governments, universities, school administrators, teachers, artists, and those seeking funds for scholarly and cultural enterprises. Written by two authors who have won millions of dollars in grants — and updated to include vital information and ...more
Published April 17th 2006 by Basic Books (first published June 19th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Only Grant-Writing Book You'll Ever Need, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Only Grant-Writing Book You'll Ever Need

Chuck
May 04, 2009 Chuck rated it really liked it
There's some irony to the fact that I tell people to buy 'The Only Grant Writng Book You'll Ever Need"--and another grant writing book (Carlson's 'Grant Writing Step By Step). Carlson is the outline, the book you read cover to cover. Karch and Fox are thorough, covering nearly every possible grant writing scenario. Writing a services grant for a mid size non profit to a Federal funding agency? They deal with that; ditto for an equipment grant on behalf of a small non profit and addressed to a pr ...more
Lisa A. Carlson
Sep 08, 2011 Lisa A. Carlson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those interested in starting a non-profit
Recommended to Lisa A. by: The library
Shelves: how-to
Thinking of starting a non-profit? This book is a great resource for those interested in beginning the process of asking for grant money. It defines what is necessary, the mistakes others have made in applying for grant money and been denied. There is a substantial index in the back of the book listing helpful information by state. The book does not give examples of grant applications because every organizations who gives grants has their own application process and requirements. If you can read ...more
Rachel Holtzclaw
Mar 31, 2016 Rachel Holtzclaw rated it liked it
this title may be misleading based on the book list i have for this class
Melisa Blankenship
This is a very practical book with rules and tips on successful grant writing. There are sections in each chapter where they give quotes from actual grant givers describing what they're looking for in a proposal. The book covers all of the mechanics and explains why the didn't parts of the grant proposal are important. It's easy to read and the chapters are organized with sub-headings that allow you to look to the sections that are most relevant to your organization first.
Sam
Oct 03, 2014 Sam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owner-library
Used this when I was in a class that required we write a grant. Logical and readable advice--I earned an A on my paper--more to the point, my boss used my paper to earn a grant for my library department.
Amber
Jan 07, 2015 Amber rated it liked it
I seriously doubt this is the only grant writing book I’ll ever need, but it did cover most of the important topics.
Colleen
Oct 03, 2014 Colleen rated it really liked it
This is one of the more insightful grant books out there, and it actually goes beyond the basics. I would recommend this for experienced grant writers as well as newbies. They provide a good mix of their own advice, as well as sections on feedback directly from funders. It's also one of the few grant books that covers both government and foundation funders in a meaningful way (i.e., not being too general about either).
Vincent Chough
Dec 27, 2011 Vincent Chough rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very, very complete and insightful. I read this while directing a small NGO and can say with confidence that this is the "bible" for beginner and experienced grant writers alike. Easy to read - not so easy to implement, but thats not the books fault. Also provides the "insider" info all grant-seekers should know about. Do your homework, read this book. ...more
Andrea
Jan 11, 2014 Andrea rated it liked it
Shelves: practical-skills
This had a lot of great information about how grant makers decide how to allocated funds and how to put a proposal together. I would have liked a little more info on how to present the organization's current financial situation and also on targeting inquiries. However, although I think the title is hyperbole, it's a very useful book.
Michelle Henley
Apr 09, 2013 Michelle Henley rated it really liked it
While this book was very informative, I wish there had been more information on small family foundations and the types of requirements for their grants. As for large government grantors and cooperate grants, this is the only grant writing book I think I'll need...even though I may need to update my current edition to the newest one.
Brandon Fryman
Dec 17, 2010 Brandon Fryman rated it really liked it
Super easy and fast read. Great bulletpoins! This is the only Gran Writin book that you need. They go over a ton of does and donts. I thought that grant writing was easy, but there are alot of steps that you dont know when you first start out. They give examples, which was very helpful.
Melody
Sep 16, 2007 Melody rated it liked it
I'm sorry to report that this book did not lead me by the hand to a huge grant for making art with beads. Or even one enabling me to loll around reading books all day. It was quite informative and clearly written, however, and I gained a fair bit of understanding of the grant process.
Jaime Contreras
Sep 15, 2016 Jaime Contreras rated it really liked it
I received this book at a grant writing workship and found it quite helpful. It has templates and examples of the materials needed for writing a grant. This is a professional book with a ractical approach to the topic.
ladywallingford
Feb 15, 2013 ladywallingford rated it really liked it
Shelves: grant-writing
I highly recommend this for anyone looking into a prospective career as a grant writer. It was very-in-depth with many helpful hints on how to write the best grants.
Joseph
Oct 02, 2012 Joseph rated it really liked it
This book has many detailed guides on grant writing but could've been written in a more engaging manner. In short, a good first book for anyone seeking grants.
Michelle
Apr 09, 2009 Michelle rated it it was ok
This book would be 'good' for someone who has absolutely no experience with writing program grants. Simple, easy to use, easy to read.
Natalie
May 10, 2007 Natalie rated it liked it
hah. for work. if you ever need to write a grant though, it does a decent job in taking you through the process.
Racy-tay
Jan 02, 2012 Racy-tay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This would be a great intro for someone unfamiliar with grant writing but I personally didn't find it very beneficial.
Melissa
Feb 01, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tons of info.
Elaine Halpin
Elaine Halpin rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Robin A.
Robin A. rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Shirley
Shirley marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Denise Huza
Denise Huza marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Anthony Brooks
Anthony Brooks is currently reading it
Sep 09, 2016
Dennis Hull
Dennis Hull rated it did not like it
Sep 07, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Rico McCahon
Rico McCahon marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
alexandra
alexandra rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2016
Sherri Davis
Sherri Davis marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Abbra Firman
Abbra Firman is currently reading it
Aug 11, 2016
  • Grant Writing For Dummies
  • Get a Freelance Life: mediabistro.com's Insider Guide to Freelance Writing
  • Six-Figure Freelancing
  • The Renegade Writer: A Totally Unconventional Guide to Freelance Writing Success
  • Effective Fundraising for Nonprofits: Real-World Strategies That Work
  • The Writer's Legal Guide: An Authors Guild Desk Reference
  • The Well-Fed Writer: Financial Self-Sufficiency as a Freelance Writer in Six Months or Less
  • Write Is a Verb: Sit Down, Start Writing, No Excuses
  • Travel Writing: See the World. Sell the Story.
  • Harvard Business Review on Leadership
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Getting Published
  • Managing a Nonprofit Organization in the Twenty-First Century
  • Damn! Why Didnt I Write That?: How Ordinary People are Raking in $100,000.00 or More Writing Nonfiction Books & How You Can Too!
  • How to Write a Book Proposal
  • The Freelancer's Bible: Everything You Need to Know to Have the Career of Your Dreams—On Your Terms
  • Creativity for Life: Practical Advice on the Artist's Personality, and Career from America's Foremost Creativity Coach
  • How Everything Works: Making Physics Out of the Ordinary