Start by marking “Grant Writing For Dummies” as Want to Read:
Grant Writing For Dummies

Grant Writing For Dummies

Are you writing a grant application for the first time? Maybe you're a veteran fundraiser looking to sharpen your grant writing skills. No matter how experienced you are at writing requests for money, people and organizations are not going to support you just because you're in need. Grant Writing for Dummies, 2nd Edition shows you the most effective way to compose a grant ...more
Published June 3rd 2005 by For Dummies (first published February 19th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Grant Writing For Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grant Writing For Dummies

Bethany Turner
A great resource/reference manual for any grant professional from the newbie to the seasoned professional. As a grant professional, I highly recommend this book and wish I had read it when I was first starting out.
Tamara
Apr 28, 2008 Tamara rated it liked it
As with all dummies books, this gave me a good idea of the "rules" of grants and where to start looking for information.

I do wish that they separated this out in to the process of looking for available grants and the process of actually applying for grants. The two processes together are extremely daunting! One thing at a time!

And btw, it is very disconcerting when books reference going to your public library for information when we do not actually have information to give. As a librarian, I ha
Carin
Apr 23, 2015 Carin rated it it was ok
Ugh. This book was a slog. But I made it through the whole thing.

I get it, there are an awful lot of different types of nonprofits looking for different types of grants, but I was disappointed. The author mostly went after the low-hanging fruit. Every once in a while she'd acknowledge that an organization might not have had previous grants and therefore can't show success, but her only solution is, if you're new, partner with someone. If you're not, you're screwed. That's not super-helpful. All
Max Renn
Nov 15, 2008 Max Renn rated it really liked it
I was right there with you all when you said to me "i cant believe you of all people are reading one of those dummies books." All I can say is that the woman at the grant foundation told me this was THE best book to read as an introduction to grant writing and I may be many things but one thing I'm not is fool enough to argue with a specialist when they share the knowledge I asked them for.

I'm tempted to feel the same way about this book. Written clearly and concisely with a friendly tone, I did
Ke
Apr 01, 2011 Ke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main audience of this book are American nonprofit organizers, but its content is nevertheless relevant for any kind of expository writing (e.g. personal statements, CVs, job applications, etc.). There are plenty of examples, tips for resources and one of my favorite mnemonic device for better writing is SMART:

Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Realistic
Time bound

Maybe my only complaint is that the cartoons dividing the sections weren't funny.
Lindsay
Mar 31, 2009 Lindsay rated it liked it
I hate the Dummies series on principle, but this had some useful information. Most of the projects Browning uses as examples are a lot larger in scope than the grant I'm currently working on, but much of the information was transferrable, and I'll be referring back to this book as I work my way through the application.
Alexandra Chauran
Aug 07, 2013 Alexandra Chauran rated it liked it
As with all the dummies books, this one was straight-forward and light reading. I actually think it almost had too many practical examples. That said, it sets people up with plenty of tools for writing grants. I wish that there was a chapter that was specific for writing grants for individuals.
christina
Up until now I have stubbornly refused out of pure loathing for the premise, for the name really i guess, to read any for dummies... books.

But this one does really look like an excellent book on the topic, and I trust shane to be highly discriminating, so here goes...
Audrey
Apr 19, 2013 Audrey rated it really liked it
Useful.
Kristin
Feb 21, 2011 Kristin rated it liked it
Part 2 of my rhetorical analysis material...
Robert Fischer
Recommended to me by someone who works in nonprofits — one of the most singularly useful books they've encountered on the topic.
PWRL
May 21, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
O
Mary
Dec 18, 2008 Mary marked it as abandoned
There is a new edition of this out and I am sending this one back to the library, I hadn't gotten all that far anyway, and will wait for the new edition to be available.
Elena Rush
Personal Amazon Account
Personal Amazon Account rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2016
Ghuyke
Ghuyke rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2009
Marie
Marie rated it it was ok
Jan 23, 2016
TheLadyKay Long
TheLadyKay Long rated it liked it
May 16, 2014
Joanne Brogan
Joanne Brogan rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2015
Scott Rose
Scott Rose rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Grace
Grace rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2013
Brad Thompson
Brad Thompson rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2009
Laundrylady
Laundrylady rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2015
Lori
Lori rated it did not like it
Mar 05, 2012
Venessa
Venessa rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2013
Lotus Patti
Lotus Patti rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2014
Chef PJ
Chef PJ rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2013
gillian slack
gillian slack rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Only Grant-Writing Book You'll Ever Need: Top Grant Writers and Grant Givers Share Their Secrets
  • Six-Figure Freelancing
  • Get a Freelance Life: mediabistro.com's Insider Guide to Freelance Writing
  • The Writer's Legal Guide: An Authors Guild Desk Reference
  • Technical Writing For Dummies
  • Effective Fundraising for Nonprofits: Real-World Strategies That Work
  • Travel Writing: See the World. Sell the Story.
  • Writing Creative Nonfiction
  • The Renegade Writer: A Totally Unconventional Guide to Freelance Writing Success
  • Cool Careers For Dummies
  • The Well-Fed Writer: Financial Self-Sufficiency as a Freelance Writer in Six Months or Less
  • Nonprofit Kit For Dummies
  • The Freelancer's Bible: Everything You Need to Know to Have the Career of Your Dreams_On Your Terms
  • Auto Repair For Dummies
  • Poetry for Dummies
  • The Moral of the Story: An Introduction to Ethics
  • A Complete Guide to Heraldry
  • A Writer's Guide to Persistence: How to Create a Lasting and Productive Writing Practice