Start by marking “Losing Our Religion: The Liberal Media's Attack on Christianity” as Want to Read:
Losing Our Religion: The Liberal Media's Attack on Christianity

Losing Our Religion: The Liberal Media's Attack on Christianity

2.97 of 5 stars 2.97  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  27 reviews
"The press has become a tool of oppression—politicized, self–aware, self–motivated, and power–hungry. . . . In short, these people can no longer be trusted."  —From S. E. Cupp’s Losing Our Religion

It’s time to wake up and smell the bias. The go-to commentator for such programs as Fox
Published April 27th 2010 by Threshold Editions (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Losing Our Religion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Losing Our Religion

Trekscribbler
I've had a bit of an ongoing debate with several friends of mine through the years about whether or not writing based in politics is its own form of art (I think it is, while they disagree). Of course, their collective opinion on writing - as a whole - is that it's merely the act of the writer's brain stringing together a series of words with the sole purpose of persuading the reader to adopt or accept a specific political persuasion (liberal or conservative). Of course, they'll concede that som ...more
Nebuchadnezzar
Picked up for the novelty of seeing an atheist attempt to defend the points of the religious right. It's the same old tired talking points feeding into the same old persecution complex. Documentation of "facts" is exceedingly thin, and when they are documented, they have more spin on them than a dreidel at Hannukah. For example, Cupp frequently claims that Christianity is growing in the USA, citing the 2008 ARIS survey. However, she blatantly ignores the summary on the first page of the report a ...more
Linsey
I had to read this book for, of all things, a religion class. As an atheist this book is boring and reminiscent of listening to NPR. She spends a great deal of the book grappling for ways to prove her odd points. I refused to write the book report for it, it's a disgusting piece of literature.
Vince Hale
When I first sat down to read this book I wasn’t sure if I could make it through 280 pages of example after example of how the mainstream media is no longer objective in its coverage of religious matters. Telling me that the media is liberal and anti-Christianity is akin to telling me that oil is anti-water – not really the most shocking revelation I’ve ever heard.

But the further I got into this book I found that my interest was sustained by my anger. Cupp presents example, after example, after
Jessica Jang
I basically just skimmed this book. I like to read different perspectives other than my own. I've read many republican biographies and books just to see where they are coming from. I saw this girl on Bill Maher and wanted to see what she was all about.

I feel like the information she has listed as "facts" are just other peoples' opinions. I think this is a book that you will either love or hate, depending on if you have the same OPINION as the author. She claims to be an atheist defending Christ
P.M. Bradshaw
When you're sick, this book is better than Syrup of Ipecac, i.e. it's vomit-inducing.

Who knew 20 years ago that spouting your opinions (mis-informed or not), backed-up by "facts" that are often just other people's opinions, could not only be a living, but considered an "art form."

Everyone has an opinion on everything, and everyone jams it down everyone else's throat; on television, in books, on blogs, twitter, and by carrier-pigeon. Everyone is screaming to be heard, THEY are victims of oppress
John
In Losing Our Religion: The Liberal Media’s Attack on Christianity, Sarah Cupp, who though a confessed atheist, deplores the liberal media’s attach on Christianity. Her book is a well-written documentary that unequivocally proves her thesis that left leaning publications and broadcasts are wanting to marginalize what 80% of all Americans hold true—a belief in God. This from an atheist. You go girl!!

The following in an excerpt which I think is worth re-blogging.

Yes, people in the mainstream media
Nicholas
Even though not all of her facts about Christian are quite accurate. I still had to give this book five stars.

Christian America can either get used to being unceremoniously mocked at ever turn, which seems to be the strategy thus far, or it can do something about it. Over the last few years, simple declarations of faith have tellingly become more like acts of revolution. Saying "Merry Christmas" to someone who said "Happy Holidays" is now part of a rebellion, not just a polite greeting. "God bl
Rick Mullenax
You have three types of political atheists. You have Penn Jillette. He believes there is no God and that every person should ultimately be responsible for their own lives. On the other side, you have Bill Maher. He believes in no God, thinks it's a neurological disorder, and believes government should provide for the people. Then you have S.E. Cupp. If she didn't tell you she was Atheist, you wouldn't know it. Her views go along the typical Christian line. She wouldn't vote a non-Christian in fo ...more
NRoe
I picked up S. E. Cupp because after seeing her speak on Bill Maher as a guest, I wanted to know more about the philosophy of an American Atheist who has made it her mission to advocate against the "liberal mainstream media." Sadly, 'Losing our Religion' did not provide the insights I was hoping for. Instead, it fumbled on as a long series of flawed arguments. Even after finishing the book, and thinking on it, I can't see the logic in S. E. Cupp's main argument: that the mainstream liberal media ...more
Brittaney
I was surprised to learn that Cupp is a non-believer. Why would she care about the success of Christianity in America? When it comes down to it, the core of the book expresses the need for a truly fair and balanced media.

There were some points where, even though I agreed with her, I felt like she wasn't really giving enough attention to the opposition's positions. If she had gone a little deeper into their beliefs, it could have made her rebuttals even more powerful.

In the end, I thought her ana
Bud Hewlett
Feb 05, 2011 Bud Hewlett rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bud by: Mark Dunn
As the subtitle says, this book is about the mainstream media's animosity toward Christianity and the author does a good job of chronicling the many areas of their attacks. The best example is the double standard that she demonstrates between the coverage of Sarah Palin and Barack Obama in the 2008 election, (Chapter 9).

The book is very interesting, but from certain sections and her recent interview in World Magazine it is obvious that S. E. Cupp, who is a self-proclaimed atheist, is not a deep
Richard
I don't recommend this book. It's just a run-of-the-mill political screed, anti-Democrat diatribe that makes the faithful angry and the opposition roll their eyes. There is nothing in here really new.

The sound bite version is that the Religious of America are the majority, but you wouldn't know that from the mainstream media and others who vilify religion in every day life. The author has extra credibility because she herself is an atheist.

I checked it out because a technology writer I follow, F
Jeff Raymond
Speaking of disappointing books, I wanted to love this book, especially since the fruit was hanging so low. Unfortunately, the book was only kind of okay – it focused more on shaming the media for how it handles thing rather than going into anything significantly in depth. It wasn’t what I was looking for, for sure. I may have just set my expectations a little too high.
Rachael
This gal is an atheist who argues why we need Judeo-Christian values for our culture. The majority of our country has that perspective, but the media would leave us to believe we don't. I was aware of much of that, but it was interesting to hear her arguments. Sometimes I was a little bored since it wasn't all new to me, but it was worth reading.
Kathleen
What is this, a book about politics? Who am I? Actually, I read this as a favor to my husband. It’s about how the liberal media is anti-Christian. She makes a good case with a ton of examples, but it gets kind of redundant after awhile. Also, I listen to hardly anything but NPR and I really haven’t found that to be the case.
Ryan Manganiello
Awesome Book, highly recommended to all who seek the truth!!! The author proves through a compilation of facts, how and why the Liberal media is trying to destroy Christianity. She also includes a list of ways to prevent this war on Christianity from spreading, and presents a clear and concise way to fight back.
Bo White

At times, it's funny and informative, but won't likely change people's minds. I would have liked one or two illustrations that drill deeper than wider.
Desi
Changes the way you think about the media you watch, the news stories that are/are not published, the books you read and the movies you watch.
Leah Stranathan
Mar 04, 2012 Leah Stranathan is currently reading it
Recommended to Leah by: Kelly Proctor
You know things are bad when an ATHEIST sees that the liberal media and the Left are attacking America's Judeo-Christian heritage and values.
Sage Mauldin
Rebecca
This book was WONDERFULLY informative. I encourage anyone, regardless of their beliefs to pick it up and read it today!
Jay
Just one of those well written books that makes you realize what's really happening around in the world of politics.
Julie
Amazing defense of Christianity in today's America, written by an atheist.
Greyweather
May 17, 2010 Greyweather marked it as to-read
The funny thing here is that the author is an atheist herself.
Jason
A very well thought out and structured tapestry of how the mainstream media attacks Christianity with powerful evidence. Ms. Cupp, though she is an atheist, shows a strong understanding of Christianity.
Rachel Williams
Rachel Williams is currently reading it
Nov 13, 2014
Melissa Tevlin
Melissa Tevlin marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
  • Birth Control Is Sinful in the Christian Marriages and Also Robbing God of Priesthood Children!!
  • How to Be Famous: Our Guide to Looking the Part, Playing the Press, and Becoming a Tabloid Fixture
  • Coming Out Straight: Understanding and Healing Homosexuality
  • America's March to Socialism: Why we're one step closer to giant missile parades
  • Culture of Corruption: Obama and His Team of Tax Cheats, Crooks, and Cronies
  • The Baseball: Stunts, Scandals, and Secrets Beneath the Stitches
  • High Crimes and Misdemeanors: The Case Against Bill Clinton
  • Eleanor
  • I Want to Tell You: My Response to Your Letters, Your Messages, Your Questions
  • America by Heart: Reflections on Family, Faith, and Flag
  • Silent Witness: The Untold Story of Terri Schiavo's Death
  • The Wrong Stuff
  • Elizabeth Leads the Way: Elizabeth Cady Stanton and the Right to Vote
  • The Bible of Unspeakable Truths
  • The O'Reilly Factor: The Good, the Bad, and the Completely Ridiculous in American Life
  • Gay, Straight, and the Reason Why: The Science of Sexual Orientation
  • The Enemy Within: Saving America from the Liberal Assault on Our Churches, Schools, and Military
  • Left Turn: How Liberal Media Bias Distorts the American Mind
Sarah Elizabeth "S. E." Cupp is an American conservative political commentator and writer, co-author of the book Why You're Wrong About the Right with Brett Joshpe, and author of the book Losing Our Religion: The Liberal Media's Attack on Christianity.
More about S.E. Cupp...
Why You're Wrong About the Right: Behind the Myths: The Surprising Truth About Conservatives