Start by marking “Losing Our Religion: The Liberal Media's Attack on Christianity” as Want to Read:
Losing Our Religion: The Liberal Media's Attack on Christianity

Losing Our Religion: The Liberal Media's Attack on Christianity

3.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  139 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
"The press has become a tool of oppression—politicized, self–aware, self–motivated, and power–hungry. . . . In short, these people can no longer be trusted." —From S. E. Cupp’s Losing Our Religion

It’s time to wake up and smell the bias. The go-to commentator for such programs as Fox News’s Hannity and CNN’s Larry King Live and Reliable Sources, S. E. Cupp is just that—a
Published April 27th 2010 by Threshold Editions (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Losing Our Religion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Losing Our Religion

Nebuchadnezzar
Picked up for the novelty of seeing an atheist attempt to defend the points of the religious right. It's the same old tired talking points feeding into the same old persecution complex. Documentation of "facts" is exceedingly thin, and when they are documented, they have more spin on them than a dreidel at Hannukah. For example, Cupp frequently claims that Christianity is growing in the USA, citing the 2008 ARIS survey. However, she blatantly ignores the summary on the first page of the report a ...more
Trekscribbler
Nov 15, 2010 Trekscribbler rated it really liked it
I've had a bit of an ongoing debate with several friends of mine through the years about whether or not writing based in politics is its own form of art (I think it is, while they disagree). Of course, their collective opinion on writing - as a whole - is that it's merely the act of the writer's brain stringing together a series of words with the sole purpose of persuading the reader to adopt or accept a specific political persuasion (liberal or conservative). Of course, they'll concede that som ...more
John
Aug 24, 2012 John rated it it was amazing
In Losing Our Religion: The Liberal Media’s Attack on Christianity, Sarah Cupp, who though a confessed atheist, deplores the liberal media’s attach on Christianity. Her book is a well-written documentary that unequivocally proves her thesis that left leaning publications and broadcasts are wanting to marginalize what 80% of all Americans hold true—a belief in God. This from an atheist. You go girl!!

The following in an excerpt which I think is worth re-blogging.

Yes, people in the mainstream media
Vince Hale
Jul 19, 2015 Vince Hale rated it it was amazing
Shelves: politics
When I first sat down to read this book I wasn’t sure if I could make it through 280 pages of example after example of how the mainstream media is no longer objective in its coverage of religious matters. Telling me that the media is liberal and anti-Christianity is akin to telling me that oil is anti-water – not really the most shocking revelation I’ve ever heard.

But the further I got into this book I found that my interest was sustained by my anger. Cupp presents example, after example, after
Jessica Jang
May 25, 2012 Jessica Jang rated it did not like it
I basically just skimmed this book. I like to read different perspectives other than my own. I've read many republican biographies and books just to see where they are coming from. I saw this girl on Bill Maher and wanted to see what she was all about.

I feel like the information she has listed as "facts" are just other peoples' opinions. I think this is a book that you will either love or hate, depending on if you have the same OPINION as the author. She claims to be an atheist defending Christ
P.M. Bradshaw
May 18, 2012 P.M. Bradshaw rated it did not like it
When you're sick, this book is better than Syrup of Ipecac, i.e. it's vomit-inducing.

Who knew 20 years ago that spouting your opinions (mis-informed or not), backed-up by "facts" that are often just other people's opinions, could not only be a living, but considered an "art form."

Everyone has an opinion on everything, and everyone jams it down everyone else's throat; on television, in books, on blogs, twitter, and by carrier-pigeon. Everyone is screaming to be heard, THEY are victims of oppress
Linsey
Apr 09, 2012 Linsey rated it did not like it
I had to read this book for, of all things, a religion class. As an atheist this book is boring and reminiscent of listening to NPR. She spends a great deal of the book grappling for ways to prove her odd points. I refused to write the book report for it, it's a disgusting piece of literature.
Nicholas
Oct 04, 2012 Nicholas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: politics
Even though not all of her facts about Christian are quite accurate. I still had to give this book five stars.

Christian America can either get used to being unceremoniously mocked at ever turn, which seems to be the strategy thus far, or it can do something about it. Over the last few years, simple declarations of faith have tellingly become more like acts of revolution. Saying "Merry Christmas" to someone who said "Happy Holidays" is now part of a rebellion, not just a polite greeting. "God bl
Ryan Manganiello
Jul 15, 2010 Ryan Manganiello rated it it was amazing
Awesome Book, highly recommended to all who seek the truth!!! The author proves through a compilation of facts, how and why the Liberal media is trying to destroy Christianity. She also includes a list of ways to prevent this war on Christianity from spreading, and presents a clear and concise way to fight back.
Rebecca
Oct 21, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
This book was WONDERFULLY informative. I encourage anyone, regardless of their beliefs to pick it up and read it today!
Miles Fowler
1CIn old days men had the rack. Now they have the press. That is an improvement certainly. But still it is very bad, and wrong, and demoralizing. Somebody 14was it Burke? 14called journalism the fourth estate. That was true at the time no doubt. But at the present moment it is the only estate. It has eaten up the other three. The Lords Temporal say nothing, the Lords Spiritual have nothing to say, and the House of Commons has nothing to say and says it. We are dominated by Journalism. 1D

14Osca
Rick Mullenax
Jan 07, 2013 Rick Mullenax rated it liked it
You have three types of political atheists. You have Penn Jillette. He believes there is no God and that every person should ultimately be responsible for their own lives. On the other side, you have Bill Maher. He believes in no God, thinks it's a neurological disorder, and believes government should provide for the people. Then you have S.E. Cupp. If she didn't tell you she was Atheist, you wouldn't know it. Her views go along the typical Christian line. She wouldn't vote a non-Christian in fo ...more
NRoe
Oct 05, 2010 NRoe rated it really liked it
I picked up S. E. Cupp because after seeing her speak on Bill Maher as a guest, I wanted to know more about the philosophy of an American Atheist who has made it her mission to advocate against the "liberal mainstream media." Sadly, 'Losing our Religion' did not provide the insights I was hoping for. Instead, it fumbled on as a long series of flawed arguments. Even after finishing the book, and thinking on it, I can't see the logic in S. E. Cupp's main argument: that the mainstream liberal media ...more
Brittaney
Jul 06, 2011 Brittaney rated it really liked it
I was surprised to learn that Cupp is a non-believer. Why would she care about the success of Christianity in America? When it comes down to it, the core of the book expresses the need for a truly fair and balanced media.

There were some points where, even though I agreed with her, I felt like she wasn't really giving enough attention to the opposition's positions. If she had gone a little deeper into their beliefs, it could have made her rebuttals even more powerful.

In the end, I thought her ana
Bud Hewlett
Feb 05, 2011 Bud Hewlett rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bud by: Mark Dunn
As the subtitle says, this book is about the mainstream media's animosity toward Christianity and the author does a good job of chronicling the many areas of their attacks. The best example is the double standard that she demonstrates between the coverage of Sarah Palin and Barack Obama in the 2008 election, (Chapter 9).

The book is very interesting, but from certain sections and her recent interview in World Magazine it is obvious that S. E. Cupp, who is a self-proclaimed atheist, is not a deep
Richard
Sep 06, 2013 Richard rated it did not like it
Shelves: politics
I don't recommend this book. It's just a run-of-the-mill political screed, anti-Democrat diatribe that makes the faithful angry and the opposition roll their eyes. There is nothing in here really new.

The sound bite version is that the Religious of America are the majority, but you wouldn't know that from the mainstream media and others who vilify religion in every day life. The author has extra credibility because she herself is an atheist.

I checked it out because a technology writer I follow, F
Jeff Raymond
Speaking of disappointing books, I wanted to love this book, especially since the fruit was hanging so low. Unfortunately, the book was only kind of okay – it focused more on shaming the media for how it handles thing rather than going into anything significantly in depth. It wasn’t what I was looking for, for sure. I may have just set my expectations a little too high.
Rachael
Jul 01, 2013 Rachael rated it liked it
This gal is an atheist who argues why we need Judeo-Christian values for our culture. The majority of our country has that perspective, but the media would leave us to believe we don't. I was aware of much of that, but it was interesting to hear her arguments. Sometimes I was a little bored since it wasn't all new to me, but it was worth reading.
Kathleen
Dec 22, 2011 Kathleen rated it liked it
What is this, a book about politics? Who am I? Actually, I read this as a favor to my husband. It’s about how the liberal media is anti-Christian. She makes a good case with a ton of examples, but it gets kind of redundant after awhile. Also, I listen to hardly anything but NPR and I really haven’t found that to be the case.
Bo White
Mar 05, 2011 Bo White rated it liked it

At times, it's funny and informative, but won't likely change people's minds. I would have liked one or two illustrations that drill deeper than wider.
Desi
Aug 17, 2013 Desi rated it really liked it
Changes the way you think about the media you watch, the news stories that are/are not published, the books you read and the movies you watch.
Leah Stranathan
Mar 04, 2012 Leah Stranathan is currently reading it
Recommended to Leah by: Kelly Proctor
You know things are bad when an ATHEIST sees that the liberal media and the Left are attacking America's Judeo-Christian heritage and values.
Jay
Jun 16, 2012 Jay rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics
Just one of those well written books that makes you realize what's really happening around in the world of politics.
Julie
Aug 07, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it
Amazing defense of Christianity in today's America, written by an atheist.
Greyweather
May 17, 2010 Greyweather marked it as to-read
The funny thing here is that the author is an atheist herself.
Jason
Jun 22, 2010 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very well thought out and structured tapestry of how the mainstream media attacks Christianity with powerful evidence. Ms. Cupp, though she is an atheist, shows a strong understanding of Christianity.
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Shepsmum
Shepsmum rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Joneen
Joneen added it
Jul 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Birth Control Is Sinful in the Christian Marriages and Also Robbing God of Priesthood Children!!
  • Coming Out Straight: Understanding and Healing Homosexuality
  • America's March to Socialism: Why we're one step closer to giant missile parades
  • Have Glove, Will Travel: Adventures of a Baseball Vagabond
  • A Simple Act of Murder: November 22, 1963
  • How to Be Famous: Our Guide to Looking the Part, Playing the Press, and Becoming a Tabloid Fixture
  • I Want to Tell You: My Response to Your Letters, Your Messages, Your Questions
  • High Crimes and Misdemeanors: The Case Against Bill Clinton
  • Elizabeth Leads the Way: Elizabeth Cady Stanton and the Right to Vote
  • Let Freedom Ring: Winning the War of Liberty over Liberalism
  • Gay, Straight, and the Reason Why: The Science of Sexual Orientation
  • Endless War: Middle-Eastern Islam vs. Western Civilization
Sarah Elizabeth "S. E." Cupp is an American conservative political commentator and writer, co-author of the book Why You're Wrong About the Right with Brett Joshpe, and author of the book Losing Our Religion: The Liberal Media's Attack on Christianity.
More about S.E. Cupp...