Start by marking “Echoes of the Dance” as Want to Read:
Echoes of the Dance

Echoes of the Dance

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  288 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
In the mellow stone house of his childhood, Roly Carradine has found refuge from a broken marriage. Here he welcomes Kate, who has just lost her husband, and young Daisy Quin, a dancer recovering from a back injury. Roly’s son Nat lives not far away, and he must suffer visits of his unsympathetic mother Monica, Roly’s ex-wife. All seek peace and quiet, but the disclosure o ...more
Published April 3rd 2007 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published April 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Echoes of the Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Echoes of the Dance

Anne Brooke
This is a rather turgid and peculiar blend of the worst kind of American cod-psychology and a Mills & Boon novel. It’s very overwritten and contains long scenes where characters think through their emotions and situations in great and laborious detail, either by themselves or with other people. It was all very exhausting and at times unintentionally amusing.

That’s not to say the basic premise isn’t interesting, as it is. Daisy is forced to reconsider her dancing career due to injury, Kate is
Carol
Jul 14, 2008 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
It is summer and the best time to catch up on Marcia Willet's novels. This one includes characters from previous books. I love her books. She is often compared to Rosemund Pilcher, much more recognized here in the US but I like her books better. SHe deals with modern people and contemporary situations set in the backdrop of English country living. SHe is a must read if you like cottages, tea and dogs running about the countryside!
Lorraine
Jul 18, 2013 Lorraine rated it did not like it
I listened to this book as a MP3 download. I thought the story jumped around. Just when I began to understand the character the author jumped to the other character. The story takes place in England and deals with the characters personal struggles and how they relate to one another. I would not recommend this book.
Cindy
May 27, 2008 Cindy rated it liked it
It reminded me of a Maive Binchy. A group of interconnected characters and how they relate to each other.
Mandy
Mar 01, 2014 Mandy rated it it was ok
Just blah.
Marjorie
May 25, 2015 Marjorie rated it really liked it
A lovely book! You will find some of the same characters in THE SEA GARDEN, another lovely book! I am hooked on Marcia Willett. I want to visit Cornwall! These books are about family, friendship, and basic human kindness.
Melissa
Echoes of the Dance, by Marcia Willett, is a wonderfully written book about love and compassion. The novel is about five main characters who must learn to deal with drastic and sudden changes. All of their problems cause them to learn and grow. Each character learns how to pick others up when they are struggling as well. In the novel you see many acts of bravery, courage, and strength. Along with that you see what friendship is all about and how to find it in the strangest of places. In this nov ...more
Lois Von
Jun 25, 2015 Lois Von rated it really liked it
Relaxing; characters you care about who often say things you wish you had. Reviewers are right to compare Willett to Maeve Binchy and Pilcher.
Keanes
Oct 29, 2015 Keanes rated it liked it
Just ok. Liked The Summer House better.
Lisa Marie
Jan 30, 2015 Lisa Marie rated it liked it
I liked the story, it was a gentle tale. But to be honest it was a little slow and I kind of lost interest in what was happening.
Dpic
Feb 12, 2014 Dpic added it
drivel
Beth
Nov 15, 2015 Beth rated it liked it
Shelves: uk-cosies
cozy and comforting, a good gentle read on a rainy day.
Patricia
May 11, 2014 Patricia rated it really liked it
I chose this author because I read she writes similar to the way Maeve Binchy wrote. They are not that similar, in my opinion.

Although it is a good book, it did not have the same effect on me as Maeve Binchy's books.

Marcia Willett has a very descriptive writing style. There are lots of characters, their lives intertwined. I found it to be a leisurely read...not compelled to read it quickly.

Pam
Jan 07, 2009 Pam rated it liked it
Another very enjoyable book from Marcia Willett. Her books are mostly about relationships and her characters are so interesting! The setting is Cornwall and her descriptions of the countryside and nature make me want to go there again (Dan and I went about 13 years ago). Her books are very satisfying and like most books set in England, make you want to drink a cup of hot tea!
Linda
Jul 16, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing
In reading this book which I really enjoyed you learn about Roly his sister Mim, his son Nat and his disaster of an x wife Monika. Then there is his dear friend Kate who was recently widowed. Roly lives in a barn that his Mother had transformed into a home. I was mesmerized by this because I always have wanted to live in a barn myself, they brought me such joy as a child.
Candy
Apr 29, 2010 Candy rated it really liked it
A slow moving story with lots of descriptions of nature like shadows and slowly creeping fog. I liked the character of Roly because he is the one who feeds everyone and takes care of the pets while the others go about their dramatic lives. I also appreciated the character of Kate, a widow, who is trying to decide where her life will go after the death of her husband.
Jina Howell-Forbes
Terrific characters learning and growing with pathos, longing, and ultimately, joy. A gentle theme of the importance of accepting people for who they are while helping them to stretch to be the best they can be is evident throughout. There were so many people in this story that I longed to be able to have a "bit of a chat" with over tea and scones. I will miss them.
Stefe
Jun 24, 2015 Stefe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Raewyn
Feb 02, 2016 Raewyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure if it was the characters so much as the dogs always on the furniture - had to put it down. I picked up another of Marcia's Books - The Children's Hour, and the dogs were on the furniture again. Not my kind of person - not my kind of book.
Sue
Jan 30, 2008 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, read-2008
Pleasant novel involving various people who help each other, mostly in Cornwall. An injured dancer, two men with very different secrets, and various others. A little slow to get started, and rather a lot of characters, but enjoyable once it got moving.
Marna
Jun 04, 2008 Marna rated it really liked it
Shelves:
I gave this four stars because it is the type of book that appeals to me for plain old easy reading. It is not memorable but comfortable.
The descriptions of nature and the characters were delightful and I enjoyed getting involved in their lives.
Shirley Freeman
Apr 24, 2012 Shirley Freeman rated it liked it
I listened to this one on a drive to Ohio and back. It's a decent story in a style reminiscent of Rosamunde Pilcher - British, nicely developed characters and storylines and not tons of action.
Eleanor
Jun 25, 2008 Eleanor rated it really liked it
Classic Marcia Willett - she paints a beautiful story in England. I love how she develops the relationships between the characters. Each character evolves and grows with the highs and lows of life.
Suzanne
May 02, 2010 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed every minute of this noveal and was sorry that story ended. It is a complex story with many twists and turns and underlying examination of faith that I found very personal.
Julie
Apr 21, 2009 Julie rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I like Marcia Willett's style of writing. This story is all about moving on instead of looking back and acceptance of those we love. A good read.
June
Apr 04, 2012 June rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
Ms Willett is a gifted storyteller. I had the feeling that I was missing part of the story--that this book was a sequel, altho it wasn't marked as such. I did enjoy the story.
Stacey Daze
Oct 25, 2007 Stacey Daze rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: fiction
I really did enjoy this book. It gave me TONS to think about and consider. The back of the book says it's a "family drama" and I thin that is the best way to explain it.
Carol
Jan 28, 2012 Carol rated it liked it
i listened to this story and found it hard to follow all the flash backs. the story was ok, sad but real life experiences.
Dorthe Pedersen
OK underholdning - men ikke helt så god som hendes øvrige bøger.
Hørt som lydbog.
Christine
Apr 11, 2010 Christine rated it it was amazing
Simply my kind of book! If you enjoy Rosamund Pilcher, then you'll like Marcia Willett!
  • Nano Comes to Clifford Falls: And Other Stories
  • Baby Needs a New Pair of Shoes
  • Looking for Mr. Goodfrog
  • The Innocents Club
  • Plantation
Marcia Willett began her career as a novelist when she was fifty years old. Since that first novel Marcia has written twenty more under her own name as well as a number of short stories. She has also written four books under the pseudonym "Willa Marsh", and is published in more than sixteen countries.

Marcia Willett's early life was devoted to the ballet, but her dreams of becoming a ballerina end
More about Marcia Willett...