Start by marking “Gone Forever: A True Story of Marriage, Betrayal, and Murder” as Want to Read:
Gone Forever: A True Story of Marriage, Betrayal, and Murder

Gone Forever: A True Story of Marriage, Betrayal, and Murder

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Susan McFarland was a vivacious, successful mother of three young sons. On November 25, 2002, she disappeared. Three days later, her car was found, keys in the ignition. Later that day, her husband reported her missing--and a desperate search began.

Her friends and family hoped against hope that Susan was not gone forever. But investigators became increasingly suspicious of
Published April 1st 2007 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Gone Forever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gone Forever

Carrie
another frustrating true crime chronicle from Diane Fanning. Frustrating because of the numerous typoes and occasionally clunky writing of Ms. Fanning, and frustrating because of the obvious mental illness suffered by the husband/killer and people's inactions. It's easy to play armchair therapist when reading these types of books, but dammit, the guy parked in other people's yards, chopped down their trees, dressed up like a little boy when his parents came to visit. No one said boo, and then la ...more
Dale
I normally wouldn't read a book like "Gone Forever", but this was an unusual situation. One of the central characters in this "True Story", Rick McFarland was my fraternity brother at Southwest Missouri State.

It's a very sad story about a marriage gone incredibly bad and ending in murder. While the story is compelling, the book isn't that well written. I thought it was quite humorous that the author made it a point of not using the couples son's real first names in the story, yet there was a pi
Eva Leger
I usually wait to review what I read until I'm finished but that's proving harder and harder what with old age and all. So I'll comment on a few things as I go.
Number one, this is a very frustrating story to read. I can't figure out why women are so eager to settle for far less than they deserve. It angers me that because a woman is willing to do this for herself, she also makes her children have to settle.
It's not my intention to speak ill of the dead but at the same time I've never been real g
Ivy
Not bad but I have read better. There were some typo/editing mistakes that make me wonder who did the editing. The story was good though...have read several true crime stories and this one was well written except for the typos. I found that I was believing the husband had don it long before I came to the end of the book. He did some things that just did not seem right for a man trying to prove himself not guilty.
Jamie
Not a very well written book, some typos, lots of confusion over people who were suddenly named and not given a description of who they were or how they fit in the story. Also very funny that the author did not use the boys real names to protect their identity, made a notation at the bottom to that effect, and then included a picture of the mother's headstone with the boys real names. !!!
Jane
This is a really good book. I thought for sure there was a picture of 1 particular incident in the book, but there wasn't. She literally paints an excellent picture with her words.

This guy (the murderer) has one of the creepiest personalities I've ever read about. I was hoping they'd tell of a diagnosis in the book, but they don't.
Indra
*****SPOILER ALERT*****

Married couple who shouldn't be married, neither is happy, guy is nuts, woman can't find the time or strength to initiate divorce. Kids flounder around in the middle of this. Approximately 5,000 glaring red flags later, no action is ever taken to correct situation. Guy kills wife, lies about it, is eventually found out. Kids end up in state custody and are adopted by non-relatives.

Of course, Susan didn't deserve her fate, and my heart goes out to her loved ones, but at lea
Revea
I am a slow reader and it only took me 4 days to read this book even with having no extra time to read. I made time for this book. It is a true crime and I couldn't put it down.
Meghan
This isn't the most interesting true crime I've read, but what *was* interesting was reading about all of the husband's odd behavior leading up to his wife's disappearance.
Jeannie
Dec 08, 2011 Jeannie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: true crime buffs
Recommended to Jeannie by: Eva
Shelves: i-own
Here's the story of a family that fell through the cracks. Everyone noticed but didn't seem to think it was their business to report the odd behaviour and parenting methods of this monster man father. I wish the author had been able to give more detail on his family, who I think are just as creepy as he is, but she did explain that they refused to give any history of his childhood.

Reading this book really gave me the creeps, I hope I never have to deal with a neighbor such as this but if I do I
Alisi ☆ needs to stop starting new books ☆
I made myself a promise to lay off the true crime novels for a while (they're so depressing) but I lasted only a day or two.

Honestly, though, I can't figure out why he killed her -- or rather, why she didn't kill her first. Or, hell, why no one else murdered him first. If I was one of the neighbors than he'd've been a marked man the day he went on my property and cut down my tree.

I don't understand why some parents are so blind. I get it when it's something that is out of a person's normal beha
Lyn
So tragic and sad what 1 person can do to another.
Sallie Des Biens
Susan McFarland SUCKED, that's right, SUCKED as mother. She left her children with their father, a lazy sociopath. Every day it becomes more clear to me why Texas is the MOST f'd up state in the universe. This woman had her kids on all kinds of medication when what they needed was ONE sane parent. You know your spouse is a nutjob, but you let him care for your children? I have not one iota of sympathy or empathy for these delusional idiots. These poor children never had a chance.
Kindra Zepeda rodriguez
I caught a couple of typos but other than than it is a decent read. (I only mention because I'm not great at writing and still caught them)

The story is just so sad. Rick is such a creep. I can not even Imagine some of the situations.
Side note: I love the note from the author at the end.
It is a quick read so I do recommend for a flight.
Pamfitz
I love this book. I live in San Antonio and followed the new stories. I even know where the house is - not far from mine. This is a very tragic story. I hope and pray that Susan is at rest and that those precious boys are part of a wonderful family and are enjoying the family they so desperately needed.
Mary Mathews
I really liked the book, but my opinion may be a little shaded by the fact that I live in San Antonio and followed the news coverage of this crime. Yes, they were a disfunctional family. Sadly there are way too many of those.
Stephanie
Unreal what a creep this guy was. Not well written, not well edited, not worth reading really, but WTH, it's Summer.
Jessie
Very good book but very sad .Even worse no one wanted to take the kids had lots of reason not too
Marcia Coppens
Thought it was a very good book!!
Connie
This is a powerful story. I lived in San Antonio as this story unfolded. The author brings to life the ts I followed in the news and reveals all the humanity and the heart of the story: the impact of the events as they took their toll on so many of the loved ones left behind.
Melissa
Nov 01, 2008 Melissa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Own
Jade
Jade marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Samantha Osborne
Samantha Osborne marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Michelle Wolfenbarger
Michelle Wolfenbarger marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Bernadette Carrillo
Bernadette Carrillo marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
  • A Warrant to Kill
  • Perfect Poison: A Female Serial Killer's Deadly Medicine
  • Stolen in the Night: The True Story of a Family's Murder, a Kidnapping and the Child Who Survived
  • Wasted
  • Cries in the Desert
  • Dead And Buried: A Shocking Account of Rape, Torture, and Murder on the California Coast
  • I Would Find a Girl Walking
  • Della's Web: A True Story of Marriage and Murder
  • But I Trusted You and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #14)
  • Body Parts
  • Lethal Marriage: The Unspeakable Crimes of Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka
Mommy's Little Girl Through the Window Baby Be Mine Written in Blood The Pastor's Wife