Start by marking “The Zion Chronicles Complete Set (#1-5)” as Want to Read:
The Zion Chronicles Complete Set (#1-5)

The Zion Chronicles Complete Set (Zion Chronicles #1-5)

Out of the ashes of the Holocaust, a sweeping historical drama of an infant nation, her brave people and their struggle for survival against overwhelming odds.
Published June 28th 1988 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 1988)

Redeeming Love by Francine RiversThe Shack by Wm. Paul YoungA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversUnconventional by J.J. HebertPhenomena by Susan Tarr
Best Christian & Inspirational Fiction
70th out of 864 books — 867 voters
Redeeming Love by Francine RiversA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversAn Echo in the Darkness by Francine RiversAs Sure as the Dawn by Francine RiversThe Silent Governess by Julie Klassen
Best Christian Historical Fiction
452nd out of 1,007 books — 1,173 voters

More lists with this book...

Oct 27, 2007 Brian rated it really liked it
I read this series throughout my middle school years. I have reread this series multiple times and I still learn new things each time. I love the WWII setting of the stories and the characters are so rich and believable.

Bodie Thoene is the kind of writer I can only hope to be. She brings depth, conflict, and truth to her stories the way few writers can. I was fortunate enough to attend a book signing of hers back in high school and I felt like I was meeting Julia Roberts or something! My mom di
Jun 01, 2012 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Favorite series of books I have read!
Rebecca Rash
Aug 31, 2013 Rebecca Rash rated it it was amazing
The amount of research gone into these books alone makes it worth your time to read. Historically accurate, great characters, plenty of drama, and great writing! I loved going along for the ride, and felt like I was really there. Highly recommended!
Jan 05, 2012 Bobbi rated it really liked it
The Zion Chronicles series covers the events surrounding Israel's statehood in 1948.
Each book vividly portrays the intense struggle of the Jewish people in the events that happened after WW2.
The Gates of Zion, is a historical fiction that begins with a brief prologue set in Qumran, 68 C.E.. Jerusalem has just fallen to the Romans. A Jewish scribe quickly and carefully copies the last passages of the book of the Prophet Isaiah. Then he wraps the scroll in linen, coats the linen with pitch, and
Apr 20, 2008 Mistie rated it it was amazing
I loved these books ALMOST as much as I loved the Zion Covenant Series! Set in Post WWII in Israel, it's a continuation of the Jewish struggle to survive. Characters from the previous series (or their posterity) are intertwined in this series.
May 07, 2014 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Kept my interest. Wanted the series to keep going again!
Dec 05, 2008 Leslie rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this series. It is historical fiction whose characters are involved in the establishment of the state of Israel in 1948. As I finished each book, I had to immediately get ahold of the next as each book leads right into the next. I was glad to know the end result because with all the roadblocks and disappointments these people had, it would have been overwhelmingly discouraging if I didn't know that Isael was really made a state in 1948. The authors are Christian writers and the ...more
Dec 20, 2008 Jen rated it liked it
Alright, now that I'm done with all five...

I have to say that I ended these books very disappointed. I knew the whole time that they wouldn't end very well. We all know that state of Jerusalem right now. It's not pretty.

But this lady spent 5 books writing about the Zionists' hope for Jerusalem and the books end with more of it. There was really no resolution. She DID stop in a good place, but I'm so frustrated that she didn't give more of an epilogue. A 1/2 a page didn't cut it for me. There is
Feb 27, 2008 Chloe rated it really liked it
These books are great historical novels set in Jerusalem at the end of World War II. I couldn't set down the first two books of the series. However, by the third I didn't feel so desperately hooked. I don't know if I got tired of reading the same writing style, or if the content actually became duller. Whatever the case, the series is still definitely a worthwhile read. I really appreciated struggling with the characters through the questions of God's goodness in the midst of suffering.
Apr 04, 2016 Lisa rated it it was amazing
An amazing series about the creation of the State of Israel. I was truly blown away by the way the Jews, who had essentially been left by the Brittish to be massacred by the Arab countries surrounding them, were able to pull together and win the day. Wonderful characters and a beautifully written story that makes you feel as if you are experiencing the history along with the characters.

**I read this for the first time when I was living in Jerusalem, which made it even more amazing :).
Dec 30, 2007 Charis rated it really liked it
I own all these books, although I have only read three. I learned alot about the post-WWII situation in the Middle East, while being so enraptured by the story that I probably neglected my kids for a few days. The character's lives have almost soap opera levels of drama, and the characters themselves are very one-dimensional and poorly developed, but nonetheless the stories are great fun and factually educational.
Nov 09, 2008 Susan added it
Bodie Thoene is really an amazing author. Her ability to weave two or three stories together and have them join up smoothly at the end while being historically accurate, is nothing short of brilliant. These books, based on history are about the founding of the state of Israel. As with all of Thoene's books. I could not wait to find out what would happen next.
Dec 14, 2008 Callie rated it liked it
I also enjoyed this series, but not as much as the Zion Covenant set. This story takes place after what happened in the Zion Covenant books, and I almost only cared about certain characters because of what had happened to them before. Still, I like that the author takes historical events and humanizes them.
May 14, 2009 Jackie rated it really liked it
This series is painstakingly researched and offers a clear image of the battle that continues to wage in Palistine. Set in Jerusalem just after WWII, it follows various characters through their struggle for belonging, and the beliefs that drive them. From catholic nuns, to British soldiers, Arab shopkeepers, Zionist jews, and old-school rabbis.
Aug 18, 2008 Erin rated it really liked it
This was my favorite series...I loved, absolutely loved the characters, the romance, and how much I learned. This is set in post WWWII Europe and then in Israel. I couldn't put it down. There is one book that ends in tragedy, but worth it since it is the story behind a brief mention of a character in the other series. Yep, now I'm gonna have to read it again just from writing about it.
Jan 25, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it
Have read this series twice. Love the characters! Have recently discovered Jerusalem Legacy series, which continues from where Chronicles left off. To the 5th book & it's pretty slow moving, not as enjoyable, but still good.

Jul 15, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it
I read this a long time ago but I remember that I loved this series! It gave me a better understanding of the relationship between the Jews and the Arabs and the battles in Jerusalem. Even better was that all the learning was mixed in with a great fictional love story. What more can you ask for?
Jacqueline Francis
Jul 15, 2008 Jacqueline Francis rated it really liked it
A historical half and half cookie. This novel ties the underlying facts of world war II with a fantastic fictional myriad of characters. The story could strike a human chord in the likes of a rock.
May 05, 2008 Universitybabe rated it liked it
I really like the historical aspect of these books. I liked the Zion Covenant series better but She draws me into each situation and helps me see things as if they were a part of my memory. These post WWII books gave me insight into a place and time I have thought little about.
Jun 25, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I first read these books in 7th grade and have read the whole series several more times since then. I love the way Thoene seamlessly weaves history into fiction to the point that it's hard to distinguish who's real and who's not. Great books for learning history while having fun!
Rachelle Sperling
May 10, 2016 Rachelle Sperling rated it really liked it
Thoene writes in a way that draws you into the story so that you are there walking alongside the characters. This series gives a very clear and realistic picture of these years in the history of Israel.
Kari Anderson
Jan 05, 2015 Kari Anderson rated it it was amazing
Loved this series. It was the first time I realized that God had not passed on his promises to the Christians, but that the Jews are still His chosen people, too. History shows He's not finished with His plan for them.
May 04, 2009 Jill rated it really liked it
I read the Zion Chronicles in the 90's after my mom told me she liked this author. I learned a lot about the Israel and the Jewish customs along with some history. It is also an adventure with suspense that keeps you reading.
Mary Kestner
Mar 05, 2008 Mary Kestner rated it it was amazing
Israel fights for independence. I enjoyed them since I knew so little about Israel's recent history.
Easy to read.
Jul 22, 2010 Janet added it
this is Catholic authors that write often about Germany during WWII. The Danzig Passage is part of another series.
All their books are page turners and written with a point of view.
Sep 04, 2008 Margie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: junior high & up
This series makes history come alive, as it chronicles the struggle of a new nation and the people in it. I cared about Israel and her people before reading this, but now it's so much more personal.
Jul 16, 2008 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-of-my-list
a great series - read when I was in middle school - taught me all I know about Israel's founding in 1948
Jan 08, 2013 Shiffra rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put them down. 5 novels in Israel. They're the kind of books I could read over and over. Wish they'd make these into a movie!
Mar 19, 2008 Louise rated it really liked it
These books are excellent historical novels about the Jews and the conditions in Germany and Jerusalem. The story continues through 3 series. I would recommend them highly.
Dara Bender
May 21, 2007 Dara Bender rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: WWII Fans
This is the counterpart to The Zion Covenant. This series focuses on Israels struggle to gain independance. Some of the same characters from the Zion Covenant reappear. Terriffic!
  • The Stonewycke Trilogy (Stonewycke, #1-3)
  • The Dixie Widow: 1862 (The House of Winslow)
  • Passage Into Light (The Russians, #7)
  • Sequoia Scout (Saga of the Sierras #4)
  • Peril and Peace: Chronicles of the Ancient Church (History Lives #1)
  • Love Comes Softly Pack, vols. 5-8 (Love Comes Softly)
  • The Work and the Glory Collector's Set
  • The Green Letters
BODIE AND BROCK THOENE (pronounced Tay-nee) have written over 45 works of historical fiction. These best sellers have sold more than 10 million copies and won eight ECPA Gold Medallion Awards.

Bodie began her writing career as a teen journalist for her local newspaper. Eventually her byline appeared in prestigious periodicals such as U.S. News and World Report, The American West, and The Saturday E
More about Bodie Thoene...

Zion Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Gates of Zion (Zion Chronicles #1)
  • A Daughter of Zion (Zion Chronicles #2)
  • The Return to Zion (Zion Chronicles #3)
  • A Light in Zion (Zion Chronicles #4)
  • The Key to Zion (Zion Chronicles #5)