Start by marking “The Yellow Fairy Book” as Want to Read:
The Yellow Fairy Book

The Yellow Fairy Book (Coloured Fairy Books #4)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  1,432 ratings  ·  37 reviews
A cat had made acquaintance with a mouse, and had spoken so much of the great love and friendship she felt for her, that at last the Mouse consented to live in the same house with her, and to go shares in the housekeeping. 'But we must provide for the winter or else we shall suffer hunger, ' said the Cat. 'You, little Mouse, cannot venture everywhere in case you run at las ...more
Published June 1st 2007 by 1st World Library (first published 1894)

To ask other readers questions about The Yellow Fairy Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Yellow Fairy Book

Mary Catelli
This is the one in which the tales really start to branch out. There are a couple of literary tales that I didn't much like, but a lot more places. Greek. Polish. Bukowinaer. Iclelandic. A few from North America. I particularly liked The Golden Crab, The Flower-Queen's Daughter (in which dragons ride horses and go to dances where humans can dance, too), The Grateful Beasts, The Witch in the Stone Boat, and The Blue Mountains. ...more
Stuart
The Yellow Fairy Book contains 48 tales, if I counted correctly. This collection contains two very well known tales in Thumbelina and the Emperor's New Clothes, a personal favorite of mine. There is also my wife's and most girls favorite How to Tell a True Princess. Many might not recognize it by this title, but if I told you that it involved a princess, a bunch of mattresses, and a pea, you would immediately know the story. In fact, I know a few people who tried this very test when they were li ...more
Josh Parr
All the Lang books are required reading. Pre- Joseph Campbell panoramas of history's imagination. Great illustrations and grittier lessons than any Disney wants to teach.
Victoria
Jun 10, 2015 Victoria rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fairy tale fans, classic lit fans
I enjoyed this book a lot, as it is full of classic tales from around the world. There are stories compiled from Russia, Iceland, Poland, and many other places. There are Hans Christian Andersen stories, and some Native American legends tossed into the mix. The illustrations are exquisite, and though the writing is more formal in style, so you have to read carefully to avoid missing details, the tone of the writing matches the fantastical tales. Overall, this fairy tale collection is beautifully ...more
Elinor  Loredan
I started out loving the stories, then they got less enchanting and more redundant and brutal. Favorites:

The Dragon of the North
The Golden Crab
The Little Green Frog
The Crow
The Seven-Headed Serpent (rather anticlimactic at the end, and how could that king live with himself, sending young people to die every year? But somehow I liked the atmosphere of the story)
The Grateful Beasts
The Wizard King (I feel sympathy with him--he just couldn't force it, could he?)
Fairer Than a Fairy
The Death of the Sun
Nenia Campbell
RULES TO LIVE BY IN THE FANTASY KINGDOM

-don't EVER get remarried. your second wife is gonna be a scheming whore who will try to kill the children from your other marriage.

-telling someone NOT to do something UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES pretty much guarantees that they're gonna do whatever you didn't want them to do.

-luckily, there's almost always a loophole out of whatever curse you've inflicted upon yourself. stupidity is generally rewarded in the fantasy kingdom as long as you're a) beautiful and
Sandy (S.L.) Carlson
More Fairy Tales from the 19th century Fairy Tale Master.

The Yellow Fairy Book, the 4th in the 12-book series edited by Andrew Lang, takes us once more around the world, visiting various countries and exploring legends and tales. The 48 tales in this book come from Russia, Germany, France, Iceland, Native Americans, and other locations. Although they were adapted to fit the minds of young English children, the essence of the tales remain true.
Pendi
Andrew Lang collects and edits different folk tales, myths, legends, and other stories from different countries, religions, and cultures. However, he does rewrite them to fit the Anglo-Saxon, Christian ideals that were pervasive among Western cultures, such as the United Kingdom and the United States. But once you get past that, it is an enjoyable way to learn new stories for future tellings.
Dara Salley
This was a fairly interesting collection of fairy tales from all over the world. I think the stories would probably be better as told by a story-teller, instead of reading them on a page. When reading them they come across as a bare statement of fact, almost like a newspaper report. They also tend to be somewhat repetitive. I guess you have to use your imagination to make them interesting!

I’ve read fairy tales since I was a child but it never ceases to astonish me how violent they are. People co
Sara
Just read this recently, as an adult, and have to admit I was disappointed. Still great resource but found the stories redundant and oddly boring...
Jenn
Another beautiful book with amazing stories. I particularly enjoyed the native american fairy tales in this book. Also, as I continue to read these fairy tale series a few things stand out:

One, we will ALWAYS make mistakes.
Two, we should always try to persever and correct out mistakes, which hopefully will be rewarded in the end (and maybe not the way we thought we would be rewarded!)
Three, love is really a powerful force, and that there is infatuation (which during this time, dumb mistakes are
Juli Anna Herndon
Favourites here: "Six Swans," "The Nixy," "Fairer-than-a-Fairy," "The White Duck," "The Story of King Frost," "The Swineherd," "The Blue Mountains," "Thumbelina," and "The Story of a Darning-Needle."
Alyssa Lane
I still wasn't crazy about it (I really want stories with morals and good points to them, especially if they're for children) but I will say I liked this one a lot better than I liked Blue and Red. Some of the stories were quirky and a bit more fun in this volume. It's almost a 3 star but not quite.. Maybe the next one.
Christiane
Andrew Lang collected fairy and folk tales from all over the world in his "color" collections. It's a great way to read unfamiliar tales, and also to see how much similarity there is in stories from different cultures. Everyone seems to have a version of the Cinderella story for example. Oh, and step-mothers are always wicked and the first two sons or daughters might as well stay home because it's always the third child who is destined to succeed.
Tammy
Mar 05, 2015 Tammy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Waiting for it's arrival.....
Warren Rochelle
I set myself a goal of reading all the Lang color fairy tale collections--so far, blue, red, green, and now, yellow. Pink is next. I remember reading somewhere Robin McKinley had done the same thing and and as she is a writer I admire, I thought doing so was worth emulating. I know I read many of the collections as a child, but that was back when I was in elementary school and I am finding I remember the covers than the stories. It's fun.
Rojai Williams
this book has a lot of interesting stories from many different parts of the world.this book has many interesting fairy tale like why the mouse dont like cats and why the dragons do let people know they exist and some of these stories haves morals and some of these don't but either way you can still enjoy them because some people can relate to them or they cant baecause ther so ....well out of this world and into another
Caleb
Most of the stories were good, though some seemed pointless...
Synthia Green
I enjoyed reading and finding similarities in modern stories, movies & TV Series (Snow White & The Huntsman 2012, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid). How is it that so many different cultures share the same content: Plot...Characterization...Imagery*
Heathyr
Fairy tales were not always made to have happy endings. Now out of print I have this and the Red Fairy book on my bookshelf. I grew up reading these. I can only wish every child gets to read these.
Steve Shilstone
I own this Folio edition, but the tattered and torn faded smudged yellow falling apart edition my mother owned as a child was the one I adored in my own younglinghood.
Adele Symonds
This is a collection of fairy stories from around the world, it nice to see some favourites but it ended up dragging because a lot of the stories were so similar.
Michiyo 'jia' Fujiwara
Books Yellow, Red, and Green and Blue,
All true, or just as good as true,
And here's the Yellow Book for YOU!

Andrew Lang

Kuning..1897
03/24/13
Arwen
The fourth of Andrew Lang's fairy books. I enjoyed many of the tales in this series and the regional variations between similar tales are fascinating.
P.n.m
It's funny book and I like it very much.This book is a unforgettable book and I think everyone should have this book in their libraries.
Karissa
I'm reading the individual stories in the red, yellow and blue fairy books and I'm about halfway through each. They are great!
Michael Steger
I have been reading stories from this with my daughters-- a great collection, in a beautiful illustrated edition
Nan Silvernail
More fairy tales.
This one has "The Steadfast Tin Soldier" in it. That story still makes me sad and unhappy.
Lina
Feb 12, 2013 Lina is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
chptr 7/49

Fairy tales are really unsettling, why am I just noticing this now?
Hank
These volumes helped to shape my dreams that I had of being a knight-hero :D
  • Black Heart, Ivory Bones
  • Scottish Folk and Fairy Tales (Penguin Popular Classics)
  • The Annotated Classic Fairy Tales
  • Celtic Fairy Tales
  • Fearless Girls, Wise Women & Beloved Sisters: Heroines in Folktales from Around the World
  • East of the Sun and West of the Moon: Old Tales from the North
  • The Interpretation of Fairy Tales
  • Favorite Folktales from Around the World (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Mirror, Mirror on the Wall: Women Writers Explore Their Favorite Fairy Tales
  • Spells of Enchantment: The Wondrous Fairy Tales of Western Culture
  • Forbidden Journeys: Fairy Tales and Fantasies by Victorian Women Writers
  • At the Bottom of the Garden: A Dark History of Fairies, Hobgoblins, Nymphs, and Other Troublesome Things
  • Treasury of Irish Myth, Legend & Folklore
  • Tasha Tudor Book of Fairy Tales
  • Japanese Fairy Tales
Andrew Gabriel Lang was a prolific Scots man of letters. He was a poet, novelist, and literary critic, and a contributor to anthropology. He now is best known as a collector of folk and fairy tales.

The Young Scholar and Journalist
Andrew Gabriel Lang grew up in Selkirk in the Scottish Borders, the son of the town clerk and the eldest of eight children. The wild and beautiful landscape of his childh
More about Andrew Lang...

Coloured Fairy Books (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Blue Fairy Book
  • The Crimson Fairy Book
  • The Brown Fairy Book
  • The Orange Fairy Book
  • The Olive Fairy Book
The Blue Fairy Book The Red Fairy Book The Green Fairy Book The Pink Fairy Book The Orange Fairy Book

“Again, if there are really no fairies, why do people believe in them, all over the world? The ancient Greeks believed, so did the old Egyptians, and the Hindoos, and the Red Indians, and is it likely, if there are no fairies, that so many different peoples would have seen and heard them?” 5 likes
“Letters from the first were planned to guide us into Fairy Land.” 4 likes