Start by marking “Snobbery with Violence ” as Want to Read:
Snobbery with Violence

Snobbery with Violence (Edwardian Murder Mysteries #1)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  1,810 ratings  ·  177 reviews

When a marriage proposal appears imminent for the beautiful — if rebellious — Lady Rose Summer, her father wants to know if her suitor's intentions are honorable. He calls on Captain Harry Cathcart, the impoverished younger son of a baron, to do some intelligence work on the would-be fiancee, Sir Geoffrey Blandon.

After his success in uncovering Geoffrey's dishonorable moti

Audio CD, 0 pages
Published August 1st 2006 by BBC Audiobooks (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Snobbery with Violence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snobbery with Violence

Valerie
I love historical fiction but it usually has such a sad undertone to it. Thought this would be more lighthearted and I was right. Mystery is a genre that I usually don't go for either although it isn't on purpose. The combination was good and it is a really fast read.

The beginning is slow though not completely boring. I think what the author is trying to do is let the reader get an idea of what the characters are like. I was surprised to find that I liked Harry more than Rose. You get the point
Gerry
A debutante's first season, a country house party and, perhaps not surprisingly, a murder or two!

Lady Rose Summer, one-time Suffragette, is the deb involved. The attempt by her parents to put her in the limelight for her first season is an unmitigated disaster as she gets involved in trying to sort out who killed who and why.

There are plenty of characters to consider, sometimes too many to keep in mind, but, with the help of Harry Cathcart, who at first is something of a leper, she eventually u
Felicia
I enjoyed this book for some reason, nice crossing of my corset romance fixation and a straight mystery. Distinct style of writing that I didn't like at first but enjoyed as I got into it. The main character is very mercurial and sometimes makes bad choices, which I found interesting. I will definitely try another!
Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
After reading so many TSTL female heroines in YA fiction lately, I decided it was time for a change of pace. A nice, cozy turn-of-the century historical sleuthing mystery. Sure, why not? I generally love my historical female sleuths, be it the spirited Lady Julia Grey, the lovely and undaunted Lady Emily Ashford, or hell, even the admittedly grating and bookish Amelia Peabody.

Surely, Lady Rose Summers would be just the thing to bring to a stop my current trend of face-palming every five second a
Sara
The first and best of this Edwardian series. We are introduced to Lady Rose and her penchant for "Bolshie" causes like women's suffrage and improving the lot of villagers who have the bad luck of a penny-pinching noble landlord. Harry Cathcart makes a delightful first appearance as a dour unpopular veteran of the Boer wars who turns out to have a gift for ridiculous disguise and a talent for burglary with intent to recover blackmailing letters, as well as a love-hate relationship with the social ...more
Courtney
"Snobbery with Violence: An Edwardian Murder-Mystery"

The book's cover proclaims happily "M.C. Beaton writing as Marion Chesney" though I don't know the publisher's motivation in giving readers two authors when one will do, especially since both are unfamiliar names(to me, at least). Normally, I would not mention such a trifle in a review, but when a book is, really, not very good, it seems strange that the author went out of their way to assume two pseudonyms and then have the fact openly procla
Craig
This was just awful. Horrible, horrible writing, perhaps the most lamely plotted mystery I've ever read, and characters that don't approach 2 dimensional, let alone 3. I don't mind a light read at all, but this isn't even helium.
Janis
What an entertaining book. Looking forward to reading more of Marion Chesney!
Marfita
Actual rating: 3.75 stars.

I've decided for this short series of books to review them as a whole. I read them one after the other in about a 24 hour time period, so they all sort of seem like one really long book to me, and I am not at all sure that I could review them separately.

My plan is to copy and past the review to each of the four books, so I will post most all of the review under a spoiler cut, because I am sure that I will mention things that would be considered spoilerish.

My overall rat
Ana T.
I really do enjoy cosy mysteries and I prefer historical to contemporary so it was with great expectation that I started this Snobbery with Violence, an Edwardian murder mystery.

I must say that I enjoyed it very much and I almost laughed aloud at times. Lady Rose Summer was almost unbelievable at times, as she was much focused in the women's rights movement and the equality of rights between the lower and upper classes but at the same time, she seemed unaware of the proper behaviour to live in p
Tina
Captain Harry Cathcart returns to England from the Boer wars as taciturn man. The younger son of a Baron, he used to be happy-go lucky, but the war changed him. Now he is home, aimless and poor. Until his name is given to the Earl of Hadshire as someone who could help him with a problem.

The results of the small bit of detective work the Earl asks Harry to undertake are so successful that Harry suddenly finds himself in demand. Discreet word of mouth has it that for a hefty fee, Harry can "fix"
Qnpoohbear
Captain Harry Cathcart returned from the Boer War cynical and brooding. He's not socially acceptable to his peers, except for when they need him to do a little snooping for them. Lady Rose Summer is the daughter of an Earl but her sympathies are all middle class. She's notorious for consorting with suffargettes!! Her parents want her married ASAP and Rose seems to have settled on Sir Geoffrey Blandon. Geoffrey seems to be taking too long to come up to scratch so the Earl of Haadshire hires Harry ...more
Dani "The REAL Cullens_Girl since 2002"
4**** Thoroughly enjoyed the book and will recommend it

This was my first Marion Chesney novel... I believe it would fall into the "cozy mystery" category rather than the historical romance category that I originally placed it in. I haven't read many historical fiction books that take place during the Edwardian Era so this one was definitely a treat. It really had that Downtown Abbey/Upstairs-Downstairs feel to it.

The plot is simple: Rose Summers following a failed "season" attends a house party
☆ Ruth ☆
I'm being very generous in giving this two stars. It was pretty awful, but I did finish it (kept hoping it would improve) so it gets the extra star.
Very mediocre writing, poorly developed plot and shallow characterization. I found it impossible to engage with the main protagonists who engendered no feelings of empathy or interest.
I certainly wouldn't recommend it and I won't be reading any more of this author's books.
Paula
Light, fun reading, with appealing characters. I listened to the audiobook read by Davina Porter, who does a marvelous job. I might try reading the next one, though.
Bev
The first of another series by this amazingly prolific and entertaining author -- Edwardian manners and amusing characters -- what could be better? The series is set up as we meet Lady Rose Summer and Captain Harry Cathcart who manage to thwart the class structure which confines them while solving murders at a lavish country house party. Deluxe.
Tasneem
I thoroughly enjoyed this Edwardian murder mystery. Beaton's humour and wit shine through both in setting and characterisation. A fabulous new series. Rose is delightful, kind of a young, Edwardian Agatha, but with more breeding and possibly less tact, while Harry is the perfect hero. Daisy and Beckett are stellar minor characters.
ChloeLeeNH
Oct 26, 2008 ChloeLeeNH rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Edwardian Era Mystery fans
This was a nice and quick mystery. Just a bit of underlying romance between the Captain and Rose.. and something blooming between their servants. There seems to only be 4 in this series and it stops in 2006 but i just got the whole series from the library and am confident they will all be done by the end of the week :). We shall see!
Mili Fay
This book did not disappoint. I have enjoyed it very much. Chesney's style is a perfect blend of Agatha Christie's and Jane Austen's styles, but created for the audiences of today who mourn for the quality writing associated with classic literature. This is a very British book, with classic British humour. I could hardly keep myself from listening to it all day. The only reason I give this book 4 stars instead of 5 is that there was no proper ending to the romance portion of the story. While the ...more
Marley
After finding myself facing a cross-town bus trip with nothing to read, I picked up this little gem at Family Dollar remandered (I assume, what else would they sell) for $1.25. I wasn't fond of the title, but it was this or fundie inspiration. Later I learned that Snobbery With Violence is the title of a 1970s study on British crime genre. Now it makes sense and fits well.

A houseful of snobby Brits--one murder and then another. A discouraged suffragette who thinks she prefers working as a typis
Barbara
This was a mix of classic country house murder mystery, Georgette Heyer romance and Upstairs Downstairs. Not as good as any of them. In fact, really rather silly but still good fun. Brain candy.
Mandy Hemmings
These books, originally published under the name Marion Chesney, are now being released under the name M. C. Beaton.

Quite a nice read - light, with little depth. Enjoyed it though!
Kim
I really enjoy anything by Marion Chesney. I really love her sense of humor. This is a great historical mystery series, if you like that sort of thing...
Lisa Bergin
Very enjoyable Edwardian set crime novel. If you like Agatha Raisin one of the other series written by this author, you should enjoy this.
Suzi
I picked this up from the library sale rack for 10p because I liked the look of the cover (the way I pick a lot of my books) mine is different to the one above. However when I got home I was slightly disheartened to find it was a historical fiction (due to thinking these types of book are dull)so I put it at the bottom of the to read pile and forgot about it, until I was one book off my target for the year and was searching for a skinny book. I am so glad I tried this book I really enjoyed it, i ...more
Valerie
This slight-seeming book is surprisingly sly on gender and class relations in Edwardian England. Lady Rosa and her maid, Daisy--who is actually an actress--each day adopt the costumes appropriate to their class position, with Rosa schooling Daisy simultaneously in how to be a "lady's maid" and training her to become an independent career girl. Meanwhile, Rosa, who has been too-well educated for her elevated station in life, must muzzle her mind and mouth to avoid aping the "middle-classes." Ther ...more
Dallass
Set in the Edwardian period this book was surprisingly enjoyable. Female protagonist is strong and proud - and not shy in letting you know what she thinks and feels about any subject. Our wounded, reluctant detective is an ex-Boer War soldier trying to find some peace now that he's back from war. But the frivolous upper classes and their need to have problems solved on the quiet has set these two opinionated individuals on a collision course ;-D

An interesting start to a period cosy mystery style
Lisa
Marion Chesney/M.C. Beaton has a formula that regardless of which series or persona she is writing in, is always in play: Barely existing plot, overly pulled sexual tension between the leads, content the depth of a 1" puddle, and story devices that are thrown against the wall and then forgotten. Having read much of the Agatha Raisin series, while knowing it was to be frivolous fun, I grew bored because Aggie (don't call her that if you value your life) never seemed to grow as a character. It was ...more
Kristen
I kind of enjoyed this, but it didn't knock it out of the park for me. However, as it's the first in a series, I'll read at least one more to see where it goes.

I like the Victorian/Edwardian eras as settings, and this had the Suffragette movement involved, as well as some of the beginnings of women's rights in the main character of Rose, so I definitely enjoyed that.

I can't quite make up my mind about Rose, however. She is a smart and determined young woman, who wants to be more than the options
  • The Skeleton in the Closet
  • Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple, #1)
  • The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #1)
  • The War Against Miss Winter (Rosie Winter, #1)
  • Million Dollar Baby (A Marjorie McClelland Mystery, #1)
  • Death at Bishop's Keep (Kathryn Ardleigh, #1)
  • Room with a Clue (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #1)
  • Sweet Revenge (A Lady Arianna Regency Mystery, #1)
  • Murder on the Lusitania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #1)
Marion Chesney Gibbons
aka: Ann Fairfax, Jennie Tremaine, Helen Crampton, Charlotte Ward, M.C. Beaton, Sarah Chester.

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottish Daily Mail to review variety shows and quickly
More about Marion Chesney...

Edwardian Murder Mysteries (4 books)
  • Hasty Death
  • Sick of Shadows (An Edwardian Murder Mystery #3)
  • Our Lady of Pain (Edwardian Murder Mystery #4)
Hasty Death Sick of Shadows (An Edwardian Murder Mystery #3) Lady Fortescue Steps Out (Poor Relations #1) Our Lady of Pain (Edwardian Murder Mystery #4) Minerva (The Six Sisters, #1)