Start by marking “The Prism and the Pendulum: The Ten Most Beautiful Experiments in Science” as Want to Read:
The Prism and the Pendulum: The Ten Most Beautiful Experiments in Science

The Prism and the Pendulum: The Ten Most Beautiful Experiments in Science

Is science beautiful? Yes, argues acclaimed philosopher and historian of science Robert P. Crease in this engaging exploration of history’s most beautiful experiments. The result is an engrossing journey through nearly 2,500 years of scientific innovation. Along the way, we encounter glimpses into the personalities and creative thinking of some of the field’s most interest ...more
Published October 12th 2004 by Random House Trade Paperbacks (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Prism and the Pendulum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prism and the Pendulum

Spencer
Jun 10, 2013 Spencer rated it liked it
A very quick read, with some chapters clearer and more fascinating than others. Much of the highlights were the biographies of the scientists themselves--Galileo, Newton, Young, Rutherford, and especially Henry Cavendish, who needs his own biopic, stat. Each experiment is separated by short 'Interludes' on various topics concerning science and philosophy that are surprisingly successful, and nowhere near as redundant or pat as they could have been. You'll probably want the internet handy, though ...more
Britt
Dec 16, 2008 Britt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, science
The most beautiful experiments in science are all physics and astronomy experiments! Coincidence? I think not! :)

As a physicist, I enjoyed the book very much, though I can't comment on how accessible it would be to the layman. This book would make a great basis for an undergraduate course for physics majors or for non-majors, as many of the experiments could be easily reproduced in the classroom, and they raise a lot of important issues about the nature of science, of experiment, and of reality.
Jason
Aug 16, 2011 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, science
An excellent book, it effectively uses the ten experiments to illustrate a set of broader ideas in the philosophy of science through a series of interludes. In this way it dried to draw a broader set of lessons than George Johnson's "The Ten Most Beautiful Experiments." And to tell less of a human story than Johnson's book.

It is remarkable that two books that share a title/subtitle had so few overlapping experiments. Maybe they both should have dropped the adjective "most," resting only on the u
David
Sep 27, 2014 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I only stuck with The Prism and the Pendulum out of persistence, and not wanting to give up on a book before it was finished. I still question if that was a good idea.

The author asks, "Can a science experiment be beautiful? And if the answer is 'Yes', what does that say about science? What does that say about beauty?" This isn't just an introduction. He was serious about attempting to answer these boring questions. So, between chapters describing the experiments, there were essays that further e
Booknerd Fraser
Nov 07, 2010 Booknerd Fraser rated it it was ok
The chief problem with this book is that it was written by a philosopher, not a scientist, and I'm not sure he understands the concept of "elegance" in science, viz. "beauty", and in "Interludes" brings in all sorts of (IMHO) unneeded philosophical content. Also, not being a native scientist, some of his explanations are strained. Furthermore, the book was conceived after a poll at a physics magazine the author writes for, so the entries are all physics experiments.
Elizabeth
Jul 09, 2008 Elizabeth rated it liked it
I liked reading this book. It took me a long time to get through it, the science is understandable for a lay-person, but very dense. I was a little disappointed that almost all the experiments were physics experiments. But they were all very important experiments about the world we live in, so I can live with it. Overall, a very good book.
Lucas Miller
Oct 06, 2011 Lucas Miller rated it it was amazing
Incredible writing and thinking by Mr. Crease. Highly impressed with this short book that will be of interest to those who like to think about science in our lives and societies and/or the history of science. As I'm one that seldom gives 5 stars I will clarify that they mean "I love it" rather than "a classic."
Bill Yates
Dec 05, 2015 Bill Yates rated it really liked it
The historical chapters were 5 star, but the interludes were dense and rather dull. It would have been better to add a couple more experiments, and delete the interludes. Descriptions of the experiments were fascinating; arguments about "beauty" were not.
Tiffany
Sep 23, 2008 Tiffany rated it really liked it
This book was spot-on for my Scientific Thinking class. I especially enjoyed the Eratosthenes/Newton/Cavendish chapters. Why do these "Beautiful Experiments" books (George Johnson wrote another) neglect Biology so shamefully? We deserve our own book!
Vance J.
May 30, 2015 Vance J. rated it it was amazing
Very nicely done book on how science is done, examined through the lens of 10 classic (elegant and beautiful) experiments. Would make a nice text for high school science students looking for inspiration and something more challenging.
Miroslav Nekazvam
Sep 20, 2014 Miroslav Nekazvam rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone interested in science. Explains simply the history of some of the cleverest ideas in science
Chizu Nakamura
Apr 30, 2012 Chizu Nakamura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science

I learn a lot from this book not only about history of science but also the art of experiments.
Louis
Louis rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2007
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2008
Enrico
Enrico rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2012
James Duane Nickel
James Duane Nickel rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2015
Jennifer rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2014
Julie Graham
Julie Graham rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Eduardo
Eduardo rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2013
Erik
Erik rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2010
Tasneem
Tasneem rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2014
Henrique De
Henrique De rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2014
Manuel Domínguez Álvarez
Manuel Domínguez Álvarez rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2013
Mhaza
Mhaza rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2013
Sean
Sean rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2013
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2012
Laura rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2014
Ali Sağdıç
Ali Sağdıç rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2016
Toria
Toria rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2015
Hexi SHI
Hexi SHI rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Radar, Hula Hoops, and Playful Pigs: 67 Digestible Commentaries on the Fascinating Chemistry of Everyday Life
  • The Ten Most Beautiful Experiments
  • The Periodic Kingdom: A Journey into the Land of the Chemical Elements
  • Head Trip
  • Cathedrals of Science: The Personalities and Rivalries That Made Modern Chemistry
  • Higher Superstition: The Academic Left and Its Quarrels with Science
  • How to Think Like Einstein: Simple Ways to Break the Rules and Discover Your Hidden Genius
  • Mindful Motherhood: Practical Tools for Staying Sane During Pregnancy and Your Child's First Year
  • The Cosmic Code: Quantum Physics as the Language of Nature
  • How to Teach Relativity to Your Dog
  • Why We Believe What We Believe: Uncovering Our Biological Need for Meaning, Spirituality, and Truth
  • Serendipity: Accidental Discoveries in Science
  • Media Unlimited: How the Torrent of Images & Sounds Overwhelms Our Lives
  • Wondermark, Vol. 2: Clever Tricks to Stave Off Death
  • Creations Of Fire: Chemistry's Lively History From Alchemy To The Atomic Age
  • Good Business: Leadership, Flow, and the Making of Meaning
  • Einstein's Telescope: The Hunt for Dark Matter and Dark Energy in the Universe
  • The Happiness Myth: Why What We Think Is Right Is Wrong
Professor Robert P. Crease is Chairman of the Department of Philosophy at Stony Brook University, New York.
More about Robert P. Crease...