Start by marking “Inferno & From an Occult Diary” as Want to Read:
Inferno & From an Occult Diary

Inferno & From an Occult Diary

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  16 reviews
"Inferno" and "From an Occult Diary" are for the most part based on a diary that Strindberg kept between 1896 and 1908 - undoubtedly the most troubled period of his life.
Published April 26th 1979 by Penguin Classics (first published 1897)

To ask other readers questions about Inferno & From an Occult Diary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inferno & From an Occult Diary

Knight of Flame by Scott EderFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsFirestarter by Stephen King
Some like it hot
49th out of 184 books — 61 voters
Ulysses by James JoyceFinnegans Wake by James JoyceThe Sound and the Fury by William FaulknerMoby-Dick; or, The Whale by Herman MelvilleWar and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
Most Difficult Novels
248th out of 305 books — 1,409 voters

More lists with this book...

Linda
Am I veer glad I read the introduction to this book before I got into the text. Otherwise I would have declared Strindberg an absolute nut case! But, as the intro mentioned, he was depressed, with with chemicals (trying to create gold - the old alchemist's goal), drinking heavily and mostly absinth (which at that time contained chemicals that have been taken out for today's product), deep in debt, had two failed marriages, AND was a fiction writer. The last makes a lot of difference in the readi ...more
lisa_emily
Jan 02, 2008 lisa_emily rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: aspiring alchemists, derangists
A semi-autobiographical diary of one of modernisms premiere playwright tracing the inner analysis during one of Strindberg's most tormented years. Written after Strindberg's estrangement from his second wife, he goes on a quest to redeem his psychological state by investigating chemistry while living in Paris. His approach is unorthodox and more arcane than scientific (alchemy). Strindberg also looks at events as synchronicity. Inferno is most interesting because of the glimpse you may get into ...more
Øyvind Hamre
særemne er endelig over
Unbridled
Strindberg, if Inferno is as psychically real to him as he later claimed (it’s debatable), is truly mad. A genius, as well. But mad. Hard to relate to his state of mind – the fever I understand, his particular obsessions, not so much. Of the limited Strindberg I have read, this resisted me more than the rest – which may be a sign of its genius. This is an interesting passage he had on the nature of Hell:

"Hell? But I had been brought up to regard Hell with the deepest contempt as an imaginary con
Amorfna
3 zvezdice, zbog par ( ne)bitnih momenata.

Fluidi naših ludila se izgleda nisu proželi....
U Strindbergovoj bašti uma buja iskuljučivo ono demonsko; malefični elektriciteti koji nagone čoveka u paranoju, u uvek prisutnu smrt. Bašta ogrezla u fatalnost i mrak. Čovek je samo list na vetru sudbine, podređen i upravljan Silama. Kažnjavan.
Njegovu maštu čuva mračni , za neke od nas teško svarljivi Pluton – ja sam se nadala lucidnom , hirovitom Uranu.

Poznato je da je Strindberg eksperimentisao sa okultn
Adam  McPhee
Absolutely one of my favourite books about writers going penniless and begging money off of acquaintances. You have to give Strindberg credit, if only because he'd practically burned his hands to charcoal while doing alchemy experiments in his boarding room and still managed to write this.

He gets angry with his ex-wife when he claims she telepathically visits him after she gets remarried. He recognizes the 196 crown bill for his divorce corresponds to the atomic weight of gold and so he gets bac
Nicole
I am yet to decide if I believe this novel to be a true account of Strindberg's experience (deliberately conditioning himself to experience what he did) or whether he was genuinely insane (perhaps again due to the conditioning of himself). Either way I found this naturalist novel very interesting and enjoyed every page. Shame I had to read it so fast as I would have enjoyed it more if I could have taken more time.
Phinehas
Strindberg was a giant asshole possessed of a metaphysical misogyny and persecution complex. During the period outlined in Inferno he stopped writing to devote himself to alchemy. His reading of Swedenborg seems to have completely driven him over the edge, reinforcing as it did Strindberg's belief in heavenly correspondences.
Yvonne
3,5 stars
An account on sheer madness, oppressive and ludicrous, with some beautiful observations on this thing called life. I can't stand stories about people who find their salvation in religion though, they are all blatent and kitschy in the same way.
Josiah
written during his conversion to his own Swedenbergian version of mystical Christianity. a sort of autobiographical journal and good period piece about the time and absinthe culture.
Cutter
Feb 22, 2007 Cutter rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The disturbingly self-obsessed
Three stars with an asterisk. Mildly redeemed by its weirdness and my own inability to place it within the context of nearly everything else I've read.
Andy
I call this book fiction but it is really the ramblings from his diary. Really interesting lunacy with a touch of woo woo thrown in for good measure.
Larry
This book is out of print, but an excellent blend of alchemy, paranoid and insanity.

It's worth it to pay the extra.
Jimecli
como tengo 15 años detuve su lectura para leer la serie de crepúsculo...
Alex
Feb 21, 2010 Alex added it
Inferno and from an Occult Diary (Classics S.) by August Strindberg (1988)
Miss Fips
Like sitting next to the crazy person on the bus...Interesting though.
Tsotne Nadaraia
Tsotne Nadaraia marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Jennifer Tait
Jennifer Tait marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Miriam
Miriam added it
Nov 04, 2014
Joakkar
Joakkar marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Michael
Michael is currently reading it
Oct 23, 2014
Meera
Meera marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Hannah Wither
Hannah Wither marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Guosa
Guosa marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Greer Lawson
Greer Lawson marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Iulia
Iulia marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
  • Eden, Eden, Eden
  • Night Wraps the Sky: Writings by and about Mayakovsky
  • Insatiability
  • First Light
  • Three Messages and a Warning: Contemporary Mexican Short Stories of the Fantastic
  • A Burnt Child
  • Moravagine
Johan August Strindberg was a Swedish writer, playwright, and painter. Along with Henrik Ibsen, Søren Kierkegaard, Selma Lagerlöf and Hans Christian Andersen he is arguably the most influential and famous of all Scandinavian authors. Strindberg is known as one of the fathers of modern theatre. His work falls into two major literary movements, Naturalism and Expressionism. He is widely read in Swed ...more
More about August Strindberg...
Miss Julie A Dream Play Röda rummet The Father Hemsöborna

“Budući da ništa nisu odgovarali,kapnuo sam na mikroskop kap kiseline. Mrtva se materija nadula, nemirno se pokretala amo-tamo, počela je i živeti, ispuštala vonj truleži, ponovo se umirila i umrla.
Bez sumnje, mogu probuditi mrtve, ali neću to ponoviti još jednom, jer mrtvi imaju neugodan zadah poput bludnika nakon probančene noći.
Zar ne spavaju čvrsto tu dole čekajući uskrsnuće?”
1 likes