Leaden Skies

Leaden Skies (Silver Rush #3)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The summer of 1880: although possible investment in Leadville's silver mines is a main reason that former president and Civil War general Ulysses S. Grant is now touring this city at the top of the Rockies, others in his retinue and in town are enticed by other visions. As part owner of the Silver Queen Saloon, Inez Stannert has often observed the ruination that comes from...more
Published May 27th 2010 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published June 5th 2009)

LJ
LEADEN SKIES (Hist. Mys-Inez Stannert-Colorado-1880) – VG+
Parker, Ann – 3rd in series
Poisoned Pen Press, 2009, ARC – ISBN: 9781590585771 (Hardcover)

First Sentence: When the summer storm arrived late that afternoon, it was hailed as a blessing.

Inez Stannert is the one-third owner of the Silver Queen Saloon; another third is owned by her friend and black man, Abe, and the final third is owned by her husband, whom she’s not seen in over a year. Inez is ready to move on with her relationship with Re...more
Diane
This book is the 3rd in a series of historical myteries set in Leadville's boom days. I enjoyed this one (as well as the prior two) and think that Parker does a very good job of transporting the reader back in time.
Ramon
Nov 24, 2010 Ramon rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ramon by: Library
In the summer of 1880, mining boomtown of Leadville, Colorado, isn't the only thing that leads folks into temptation. Although possible investment in Leadville's silver mines is a main reason that former president and Civil War general Ulysses S. Grant is now touring this city at the top of the Rockies.
As part owner of the Silver Queen Saloon, Inez Stannert has often observed the ruination that comes from yielding to temptation. Still, that knowledge hasn't stopped Inez from taking Reverend Jus...more
Misfit
What fun! As Leadville Colorado prepares for the arrival of Ulysses S. Grant, Inez Stannert still operates the Silver Queen Saloon that her now missing husband won at the turn of a card with her partner Abe. Is he dead or did he just abandon her? Wanting a little extra security in case her ownership of the saloon is challenged, she strikes a deal with local madam Frisco Flo who wants to move her girls to a better, more profitable site in town - but Inez keeps this deal secret from her partner Ab...more
Jim Overturf
Its late June in Leadville, Colorado. It's cold, as usual. The first train to Leadville has arrived carrying former President Ulysses S. Grant. It's started to rain and the streets have turned to mud. A love-sick mapmaker, Cecil Farnesworth, is in town, and enamored with one of the whores in Flo's covey. Someone tries to burn down Flo's whorehouse across the street fron Inez Stannert's saloon. The fire department is tied up with Grant's arrival parade. Inez is wrestling with getting a divorce fr...more
Bob Stocker
Ann Parker's Leaden Skies is a murder mystery set in the booming mining town of Leadville, Colorado, during ex-president Grant's visit in the summer of 1880. Although I had a strong suspicion about “who done it” before some of the mechanisms for doing it were fully developed, one side mystery wasn't tied up until a small surprise in the penultimate chapter.

This is not great literature. The plot is solid, but the writing occasionally suffers from informal expressions and similes that seemed out o...more
Susan Lundy
I started Ann Parker's series backwards..reading her 2012 "Mercury's Rise" book first and moving now to her third book, Leaden Skies from 2009. I'll read Silver Lies and Iron Ties as soon as the library gets them for me. (I actually bought three hardback copies of Mercury's Rise as gifts...I REALLY liked it.)
I only gave three stars because the mystery was not quite as well worked out as it was in Mercury's Rise; but this one did carry the character development along nicely. (Three stars means I...more
Helen-Louise
Interesting book, well plotted, good characters but some a bit stereotypical. But - I am looking for the two books that precede this one.
Dani
A pre-read of a July 2009 release, this third installment in the Silver Rush historical mystery series continues the saga of socialite turned saloon owner, Inez Stannert, just as the Denver Rio Grande railroad brings more silver barons and their assorted appetites to the burgeoning city in the clouds. As usual, bodies keep turning up right to the end. Historically and medically accurate, the author's love of research shines through as always. This series is a must-read for Victorian and western...more
Patty
This is the third book in the Silver Rush Mysteries and I enjoyed it but for some reason not as much as the first two. I'm not sure why, the characters were still engaging and the setting is outstanding. Maybe it was the heavy involvement of "ladies of the evening" combined with some pretty vicious people. That and I've never been a big Ulysses S. Grant fan and he has some role in what is going on here.

I'll continue with the series - I have to after the last line of the book (no spoilers here an...more
Kae Cheatham
Although the craft of writing was top-notch (+5), the descriptions seemed over-written and often intrusive into the story line 9 (-2). Plot revelations and other glitches were troublesome (-3).
Sense of place and historical details were quite good (+4), but often got in the way of the story(-1).
Too much conversational wrapping up of details at the end, explaining what went on (-1).
Not certain if I'll read the other books in the series.
Mirah W
I really like this series. Inez is a great, strong woman in the west at a time when men dominated business. I look forward to book 4 and wish it wasn't the end of the series.
Cynthia
A great read with interesting characters and romance mixed into the mystery. Be prepared for bits of brothel language. As a writer working on a book set in Leadville during this same time, I can attest that Ann Parker is spot-on with descriptions of setting and events in this western boomtown. The ending left me eager for the next book in the series.
Paul O'Grady
The author's attempts to weave real events of the day (e.g., women's suffrage, immigration, police corruption, political machinations, Grant's visit to Leadville) into her story work quite well. The quality of the mystery left something to be desired, but overall this was a satisfactory effort.
Adrian McCarthy
I've enojoyed all the Leadville books, but this one is my favorite (so far). Parker's writing has improved with each book, and the mystery plot in this one was especially satisfying. I'm looking forward to Mercury's Rise.
EC
This book started slower than the first, through the first half I probably would have only given it 3 stars. But then things picked up and the characters and story gained depth and got more interesting.
Penny
A real page-turner for historical fiction/mystery fans. This may be my favorite of the series. Entertaining and educational. Highly recommended.
Becca
Felt a bit like a filler....Enjoyable, but still feel I'm waiting for the next one.
Kay Franklin
Always fun to be able to picture the region
Ann Parker
Mar 14, 2009 Ann Parker added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Proofreading my ARC of Leaden Skies. :-)
Jane Dickison
A soft read following a more action packed book.
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Jennifer Hartshorn
Jennifer Hartshorn marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Silver Lies (Silver Rush, #1) Iron Ties (Silver Rush, #2) Mercury's Rise (Silver Rush, #4) Wishing Well World