Start by marking “Hattie the Bad” as Want to Read:
Hattie the Bad

Hattie the Bad

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  131 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Hattie was bad?from frogs in the fridge, to paint everywhere, to the occasional sale of her little brother at the yard sale. Yes, Hattie was SO bad, no one was allowed to play with her. And let?s face it: Being bad by yourself is no fun. So Hattie decides to become good. Hattie the Good cleans her room, goes to bed early, and is an angel at school. Now everyone is allowed ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Dial Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Hattie the Bad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hattie the Bad

Oct 26, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was ok
I think the intended messages of this book were positive: be yourself and don't feel you have to be perfect. Good stuff. However, those messages get lost and unintended ones sneak through.

I don't like how the author uses the labels "good" and "bad." Kids are just kids. A mischievous behavior does not a bad person make. And on the flip side, trying to be good does not make a person boring. These are terrible messages to give to little people just coming to understand the most basic of social int
Charlotte
Sep 13, 2014 Charlotte rated it it was ok
I've got issues with this book. I don't think kids (or anyone else) ought to be labeled as good or bad. People are complex. At least in this story the label is allowed to change along with her pattern of behavior. I just don't think things are so black-and-white in reality. I don't like the way being good is associated with not having any fun. I don't like the way peer pressure plays such a strong role, whether positive or negative. I don't like how being good didn't pay off.
Tasha
Aug 12, 2010 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Hattie was a very good little girl until she realized how dull it was. Then she became Hattie the Bad, doing naughty but very fun things. The other children loved her, but their parents stopped letting them play with Hattie. So Hattie decided to be good again, perfect even. The parents started pushing their children to be more like Hattie, but then the children stopped playing with her because she was so perfect. Hattie was so very good that she even got an award for being the Best-Behaved Child ...more
Amanda Delegram
Apr 21, 2012 Amanda Delegram rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eced-221
Summary: Hattie is a little girl who is bad and not your average kind of bad. She is so bad that parents do want their kids to play with her. Hattie forms a plan to win over the parents but loses all of her friends in the process and has to find a way back to her old self.

Critique: The author does a very good job with creating a theme that children can relate to. The characters are also very similar to people they would know or even be able to compare the character to themselves. The pictures a
Adam
Apr 23, 2012 Adam rated it really liked it
Shelves: eced-221
Summary:
This is a story about a very bad girl named Hattie. Hattie is so bad that she is not allowed to play with the other children because her parents do not allow her. So she decided to come up with a plan that will make the parents like her. Unfortunately, this plan makes all the kids hater her, and she has to find a way to get the kids to like her again.

Critique:
This is a good book because the author makes the characters someone people could relate to. The pictures are a mixture or bright p
Sarah Sammis
May 17, 2011 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
Harriet likes books with characters who have her own name. We don't call her Hattie but she uses it when playing video games. So I had to check out Hattie the Bad by Jane Devlin.

But then I felt guilty about it. What if she thought I thought she's bad, I worried. I read the book myself and found it hilarious. Hattie's got a thing for orange paint and frogs, but I still didn't read it to Harriet.

Instead, I chickened out and put the book amongst the other library picture books. I didn't mention it
Danielle Boccio
Mar 29, 2016 Danielle Boccio rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
The message seemed to be that if you're well-behaved and you're the best you could be, you will not have any friends. I cringed as I read this book to my 6-year-old son with whom I often reinforce good behavior. Luckily, he was more concerned with why Hattie often had a paint brush in her hand but nothing to paint, than he was with the negative message.
Emmet O'Neal Library- Children's Department

Hattie the Bad by Jane Devlin

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss

Basically, this life lesson is what Jane Devlin’s main character, Hattie, learns in this adorable picture book.

Hattie is a precocious little girl whose idea of a fun time might be letting loose a box of frogs at school, or trying to sell spiders or her baby brother on the curbside, thus giving her the name “Hattie the Bad.” When Hattie changes her ways
Ms Threlkeld
Nov 24, 2015 Ms Threlkeld rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Probably more enjoyable as a read aloud with elementary students than in my head at my desk. Could spark some interesting conversations about the effects of our behavior and what it means to be good or bad.
Heather B.
Hattie was once good, but she realized that being good meant you had to do things she did not want to do, like go to bed when told and eat food you don't like. So, she decided to be really, really bad; all the children thought she was fun and all parents did not want their children hanging around Hattie. Hattie wanted to have friends again and became really, but the she became too good that the other children did not like her. It is fun and early readers will enjoy the playfulness of the charact ...more
Naomi
Aug 03, 2015 Naomi rated it did not like it
Yet another, dime a dozen book that rewards bad behavior in a child as though it is cute. There was nothing...not even the illustrations that stood out about this one.
Samantha Guerra
Sep 30, 2015 Samantha Guerra rated it liked it
The first thing that catches my eyes is Hattie is spelled different from how it's usually spelled. Hattie was a rebel child and many other children like her because of it, even when she tried to be good. The illustration and text flow together I think a child would walk away with some meaning. Hattie the bad was well-design children can relate and make connection that why it's good children literature.
Shannon
Jul 08, 2010 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Hattie reminds me of a little girl who, wasn't really bad, just sort of mischievous, who pulled the fire alarm in the library one day....

Hattie is bad (not really, she's a prankster), and parents tell their kids not to play with her, so she becomes good. Soooo good, in fact, that she wins an award for it...and since it is so incredibly boring being good she...well, you'll have to read the book to find out what she does.

The message here is to be true to yourself...no matter what!

I'm planning on
Lynne Marie
Jan 25, 2016 Lynne Marie rated it really liked it
I liked this book because I think it ran true, was unexpected and fun, too.
Robin
Jun 28, 2014 Robin rated it it was ok
The bad kid that parents hate but other kids love.
Julie Cush
Dec 03, 2015 Julie Cush rated it it was amazing
Tricia
Jun 18, 2011 Tricia rated it liked it
Preschoolers will enjoy and relate to this story about Hattie, who is very bad...perhaps because as a baby she was "dropped on her head". She seems to have realized that being good didn't get her attention...so she became bad--until she has an idea. She will be "just as good at being good as she had been at being bad". This seems to have some issues, too. Does she ever find the right balance between bad and good?
Rachel
Feb 16, 2011 Rachel rated it liked it
Great big book with big illustrations.

I'm not sure what I think of the story ... It's almost like a "Where the Wild Things Are" for girls. I love "Where the Wild Things Are," but this one is much wordier and not nearly as eloquent ... still, it's very cute.

The illustrations are what I enjoyed most about the book.
Peacegal
Dec 18, 2013 Peacegal rated it liked it
This wild book is a lot of fun for adults and older kids, though caretakers of the youngest tots may dislike a heroine who so happily models being bad.

I didn't really enjoy the fact that Hattie sometimes used animals in her pranks--such as letting a bunch of frogs loose in a crowd or even painting frogs orange.
babyhippoface
Sep 09, 2010 babyhippoface rated it it was ok
Eh. Not as funny as I'd hoped it would be, and I wish Hattie had ended not as Hattie-the-Bad-with-just-a-little-bit-of-Good, but Hattie-the-Good-with-just-a-little-bit-of-Bad. The only page that made me laugh was when, at a critical "good" moment, Hattie yelled out, "Underwear!"
Sima
May 03, 2010 Sima rated it liked it
Hattie decides to be bad because being good is no fun! She comes to realize that she doesn't have any friends because of all the bad things she does. Will she have to become good again? Who knows what Hattie will decide to do!
Dolly
May 07, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2010
This is a fun book to read aloud with children. We had as much fun pointing out things in the illustrations as we did reading the story. We laughed out loud a few times...especially at the end of the contest.
Casey Girard
Aug 30, 2013 Casey Girard rated it it was ok
I love the art in this book. However, while I can appreciate the message of the book is "always be yourself", it can also easily be taken as you need to be bad to get friends. This put me off the book.
Vicki
Oct 16, 2012 Vicki rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture, pre-school
Tried to fit this book into my "Naughty or Nice" theme for PreSchool story time, but I didn't really like it when read aloud. I will find another title that the children are more receptive to.
Anne Marie
May 18, 2010 Anne Marie rated it really liked it
Shelves: elementary, preschool
Cute little story about Hattie who used to be good, but that wasn't fun, so now she's bad - really bad. It'll get laughs from the younger crowd although parents might not like the overall message.
Connie Klever
Apr 19, 2010 Connie Klever rated it really liked it
Super cute book! Story about behavior--good vs. bad with a cute twist at the end. Would be a fun picture book read for the tween crowd. Good for program about underwear (maybe).
Cassie
Jun 23, 2011 Cassie rated it it was amazing
Jenna
Jun 04, 2010 Jenna rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny, picture-book, psc
A great picture book about finding the balance between being good and bad. The pictures are fun and the heroine is even more so.
Erica Leach
It was a interesting story didn't really enjoy it. Yes some parts were entertaining, but I just didn't like the story line.
Jun 02, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
I thought it was a good mix of good and bad. We all have that side that mischievous side.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »