Start by marking “Classrooms That Work: They Can All Read and Write” as Want to Read:
Classrooms That Work: They Can All Read and Write

Classrooms That Work: They Can All Read and Write

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In Classrooms That Work, Pat Cunningham and Dick Allington emphasize the importance of promoting the integration of phonics and literature-based process writing and reading instruction to enhance all students' learning and reading skills.
Paperback, Fourth Edition, 320 pages
Published February 27th 2006 by Allyn & Bacon (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Classrooms That Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Classrooms That Work

Savannah Weaver
"What Really Matters for Struggling Readers" by Richard Allington (a co-author on this book) is one of my favorite books about reading. This one, though, was really just lackluster for me. I thought the section on words and word work just can't compare to "Words Their Way" or "Word Journeys." I felt the assessment stuff was all stuff I already knew. It's basic premise--that all students need ample time to read and write--is undeniable. I just feel like I've read all of this before, and that I've ...more
Robyn Simmons
Cunningham provides the reader with many hands on lessons througout this text. She invites teachers to become more interactive and aware of literacy centers. She does a great job of mapping out each activity by time and location. Cunningham is an excellent researcher that encourages teachers to build teamwork and teach children on all levels. This is a great resource to have in the classroom. Itis a easy read that teachers can relate to.
Dayla
What is not to love about this book? Really good information in this book. But Cunningham can be a bit irregular in presentation of ideas. They are not always presented sequentially. Having said that, some of the best techniques for teaching are contained in this book.
Kate
Dec 06, 2007 Kate rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Reading teachers, people who want to understand literacy development
Shelves: education
Patricia Cunningham is amazing! Her books are full of information to help you better understand the development of literacy/reading and writing in students and activities to assist in that development. Highly recommended.
Anne
Aug 06, 2011 Anne added it
Patricia Cunningham is my resource! I was taught and do teach the 4 Blocks method. This is a great go to resource: highlight the heck out this book and go back to it every summer before school starts!
Stacy
Aug 15, 2008 Stacy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: elementary teachers
Full of great suggestions for simple and effective reading and writing strategies. After reading this book I have a better understanding of what early grade teachers do to teach reading and writing.
Katy
Coming back to this book after more experience in the classroom, I found that the ideas and concepts were even more relevant and important.
Nancy
All elementary teachers and principals should read this. There is a new edition with some additional material.
Karen
A must read for all elementary educators.
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Chi Hoang
Chi Hoang marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Hannah Faires
Hannah Faires marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Suzanne Steele
Suzanne Steele marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Niki (Daydream Reader)
Niki (Daydream Reader) marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Kevin English
Kevin English marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Christine Mattiko
Christine Mattiko marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Stacy Lovell
Stacy Lovell marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Guiding Readers and Writers: Teaching Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy
  • What Really Matters for Struggling Readers: Designing Research-Based Programs
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension to Enhance Understanding
  • Teaching with Intention: Defining Beliefs, Aligning Practice, Taking Action, K-5
  • The Art of Teaching Reading
  • Yellow Brick Roads: Shared and Guided Paths to Independent Reading 4-12
  • Lessons That Change Writers: Lessons with 3-Ring Binder [With Three Ring Binder Full of Lessons]
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • Writing about Reading: From Book Talk to Literary Essays, Grades 3-8
  • Craft Lessons
  • Reading Essentials: The Specifics You Need to Teach Reading Well
  • How to Get Your Child to Love Reading
  • Words Their Way: Word Study for Phonics, Vocabulary, and Spelling Instruction, [Book, CD & DVD]
  • Notebook Know-How: Strategies for the Writer's Notebook
  • 7 Keys to Comprehension: How to Help Your Kids Read It and Get It!
  • Classroom Management That Works: Research-Based Strategies for Every Teacher
  • The Daily Five
  • Mechanically Inclined: Building Grammar, Usage, and Style into Writer's Workshop
Classrooms That Work: They Can All Read and Write Making Words: Multilevel, Hands-On, Developmentally Appropriate Spelling and Phonics Activities Phonics They Use: Words for Reading and Writing Guided Reading the Four-Blocks® Way, Grades 1 - 3: The Four-Blocks® Literacy Model Book Series Phonics They Use: Words for Reading and Writing