Start by marking “The Norths Meet Murder” as Want to Read:
The Norths Meet Murder

The Norths Meet Murder (Mr. & Mrs. North #1)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  98 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
First in a long and extremely popular series, the main sleuth is actually Lt. Weigand of the NYC police - this is a cosy police procedural, with some nice bits of The Norths - who find the body - even though most people only remember them. In this first novel they do only a little sleuthing, and the focus is on police procedure.

from the back cover of The Thorndike Edition:
Hardcover
Published September 1st 1994 by Amereon House (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about The Norths Meet Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Norths Meet Murder

Mark
Mar 26, 2014 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of classic mystery
Recommended to Mark by: came across it by accident even if I have seen the tv show partially
The characters Pam & Jerry North were originally invented by Richard Lockridge for some vignettes he wrote for the New York Sun during the early thirties and which he later resurrected in the short domestic comedies he contributed to The New Yorker, by which time the Norths had acquired their full names but not yet their abilities as amateur detectives. A collection of the stories was published in 1936 as Mr. and Mrs. North. The crime novels originated when Frances Lockwood started writing a ...more
Abbey
1940, #1 Pam&Jerry North, Lt Bill Weigand NYC PD
Upper-middle-class New York City urban sophisticates (1940s style) find a dead man in a bathtub in an empty NY apartment; classic cosy police procedural four stars.

Pam North is a nice, slightly fuzzy youngish urban Missus who, with her publisher husband, lives a good life in New York City, filled with parties, shopping, dining out, etc. When she decides to give a big party she wants to use the space available in her small apartment building, t
C.P. Murphy
Oct 21, 2007 C.P. Murphy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book in an antique shop while vacationing in the 1,000 Islands. The room was full of dusty books that smelt of age but I wanted to buy something anyway so I grabbed this one. It had no blurb on the back cover, no picture on the cover, but yet intrique was all over the hardcover.

I truly enjoyed the story. The story took place in NYC in the 1940s and I felt like I was in that time era. Though, I know that the book was written then and there and its purpose wasn't to try to take me ba
Annette
May 01, 2016 Annette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was originally written in another era. There are no cell phones, no computers and no high tech forensics. But there is detection. A great deal of thought is given to each situation and each person. And things get solved.

Pam and Jerry North are a couple who live a comfortable life in New York City. Their friends are others who live comfortable lives. Everyone knows everyone. They attend the same parties, they drink a great number of cocktails and they gossip about one another.

One autum
Anne
Mar 31, 2016 Anne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting the main characters to be Mr. and Mrs. North and their investigating, but it was really Weigand and Mullins from the police dept and I didn't find them that interesting. Mullins, especially, is a multi-drink one note character. I also felt that the reader couldn't really figure out the killer based on the info. given and I think we really should (if we want to). There was no shortage of potential suspects and the police weren't doing a very proficient job of interviewing, perhaps ...more
Crittermom
Mar 28, 2016 Crittermom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The Norths Meet Murder is a novel from an earlier time. Published before the onset of WWII, it blends mystery and the charm common to the screwball mysteries of the time. While very different from the more action filled mysteries of the present, The Norths Meet Murder is a pleasure to read. I'm happy to see Open Road Media releasing it in ebook form.

The best word to describe the Norths is "civilized". They are an ordinary, good natured couple with an easy, accepting manner. Mrs. North is energet
Bill
Mar 19, 2016 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has to be one of the slowest moving mysteries I have read in a dog’s age – and I love my dogs to have a long and happy life.

I read this, though, because I remember watching an old TV show in reruns about Mr and Mrs North when I was a kid and the show was very cool, but I also love the insightful Mrs North. The book has a restrained humor behind it that keeps the mystery fresh and light.

Written in a day when women seemed to be more tolerated than accepted, when guys would puzzled by what som
DelAnne Frazee
Mar 18, 2016 DelAnne Frazee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
ISBN: 9781504031073
ASIN: B01AVTUZK2
Reviewer: DelAnne
Reviewed For: NetGalley

Pamela North decides to make use of the empty apartment in her Greenwich Village building for a party she wants to throw for her and her husband's friends. Jerry,
Jessi
When I requested this book from NetGalley, I assumed it was like the recent Nero Wolfe that I had read -- a new book by a recent (currently alive) author. I know the Norths from old time radio stories and was confused when they met Lieutenant Weigand. Didn't they already know him? Oh! This is a reissue is the first book in the series!
It starts when Pam decides to throw a party. She's been to quite a few parties and "owes" her friends. She decides that it might be nice to use the empty apartment
Charlene Roberson
May 01, 2016 Charlene Roberson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, crime
I received a free advanced digital copy of this book in return for a review. Here is my review:

The Norths are a delightful couple!! They are "screwy" as Sergeant Mullins says, but they are fun to follow! I can't wait to read more.....

This story is set in New York, around the end of the 30s, between the two world wars. It evokes a time that is long gone, glamorous, and pretty carefree. The Norths are not rich, but are "comfortable" with a large group of friends with whom they are social. When a m
Sarah Adamson
This is the first in the series. It is best described as an old fashioned mystery - full of wonderful detailed descriptions, a lot of fantastic sarcastic humour, great references to the time it's set in without feeling too researched and with nice twists to keep you going. It is not a cozy mystery. It is more comparable with books like the great Agatha Christies although perhaps more complex and less easy reading.
A good book, made me laugh and made me puzzle. I will read more in the series but
Kathy Davie
Jul 01, 2013 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, history
First in the Mr. and Mrs. North mystery series set in late 1930s New York City and revolving around a curious couple. Jerry North is an editor with Kensington & Brown, and Pam North is a housewife.

My Take
I suspect my biggest reason for giving Norths Meet Murder a "4" is for the quaintness of it. I keep reminding myself that this is a period mystery, set in the late 1930s (and written in 1940), and I have to take this into account. It has a number of oddities in it which I attribute to the st
Victoria Mixon
Dec 02, 2010 Victoria Mixon rated it liked it
I got a huge kick out this book! Crazy as all get-out, the Mr. & Mrs. North who followed on the NY heels of Nick & Nora Charles are charming, silly, and just astute enough to get themselves into trouble when someone they know takes advantage of an empty apartment above them to get someone else they know quietly out of the way.

I did figure out the culprit pretty early on, but the Lockridges do a nice job of muddying the waters. The only reason I didn't have the character pegged definitely
Jenn Estepp
1940s mystery, set in NYC (Village) - I was hoping it would be a sort of Thin Man thing, but the North's aren't nearly so charming or witty. Also, the thing where they are only referred to as Mr. North or Mrs. North for like 98% of the book is extremely irksome and the mystery isn't always solid. It's still enjoyable and as this is the first of a pretty long series, maybe they get better. I like them - and their detective friend well enough to give another a go some time.
Lisa Morin
Mar 17, 2016 Lisa Morin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
While this is a funny story and the plot was good, the story as a whole did not appeal to me.
Mrs. North decides to have a party in a vacant apartment and upon checking things out she and her husband discover a dead man in the bath tub. As the story carries out, they offer their insights and while the story has some good qualities, it just didn't hold my interest.

I received an ARC of this book via NetGalley in exchange for my fair and honest review.
Diane
May 16, 2015 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: non-aloholics
I've read several books by the Lockridge husband and wife team and love them, especially the series revolving around Pam and Jerry North. They are a delightful couple but oh my, do they drink a lot. A lot. I start to crave a Tom Collins everytime I read a book in the North series. I must read many more.
Mary Helene
Mar 06, 2014 Mary Helene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
What a slice of the late 30s! in New York City. It's chief characteristic: cocktails. Lots of talk about cocktails. "It was always odd and interesting to be a little changed by alcohol, but only enough to appreciate the change and relish it."
Leo G
Apr 09, 2015 Leo G rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like a light old fashioned mystery set in pre-WWII New York have I got a book for you. The Norths who may remind some of Nick and Nora Charles stumble across a body and cocktails ensue.
Kathy Vincenz
Dec 27, 2015 Kathy Vincenz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I watched the Gracie Allen movie based on this book, which was much different. The movie was all Gracie Allen so it took me a while to realize the book was more about Lieutenant Weigand, who I grew to like very much. I will read another if I can find it. Very well written and plotted.
Jeffrey Marks
Mar 18, 2015 Jeffrey Marks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good start to the series, relies heavily on Sayers' first mystery in terms of plot and also uses a bit too much of the fem jep for my taste. Looking forward to reading more though.
Susan
Jerry and Pam North (then called Fran) originated in a number of short pieces that Richard wrote about two people much like his wife and himself. When the pair decided to write a mystery, the characters were ready-made. Seemingly scatter-brained Pam decides to hold a party in the vacant apartment upstairs--there will be room for dancing. But then they find a dead body in the bathroom, and meet Lieutenant Bill Weigand and his faithful assistant Mullins. By the time Bill figures out whodunnit, Pam ...more
Sue
Jul 23, 2011 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
A 'new-to-me' mystery series that I discovered during my library volunteer work. Although it wasn't Nick & Nora, it did have the same tone and snappy dialogue. It even had some of the infamous martinis from Nick & Nora. Enjoyable and with plenty of red herrings to make you think right up to the end.
Dorothy
The Mr. and Mrs. North mysteries are not something that would necessarily appeal to me today, but back in the day - late '60s, early '70s - I loved those books and devoured them like peanuts!
Bev
I love the zany world of Mr. and Mrs. North. These light, mad-cap mysteries are just the thing when you want something satisfying that won't make you think too hard.
Bev
Nov 22, 2011 Bev rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vintage-mystery
Karen
Jul 10, 2014 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
a product of its time. reminded me of Tommy & Tuppence. and my grandmother. Will probably read another...
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Erin Lee Arvin
Erin Lee Arvin marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Tragedy of Y
  • The Cape Cod Mystery (Asey Mayo, #1)
  • There Was an Old Woman
  • The Canary Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #2)
  • Before the Fact
  • Trial and Error
  • Phantom Lady
  • The Penguin Pool Murder (Hildegarde Withers #1)
  • Murder with a Twist
  • Rough Waters
  • The Dante Game (Homer Kelly, #8)
  • Monsieur Lecoq
  • Cancans, Croissants, and Caskets
  • The Horizontal Man
  • The Cask
  • Year-Round Slow Cooker: 100 Favorite Recipes for Every Season
  • Caught Bread Handed: A Bakeshop Mystery
  • Unsigned (A Booklover's Mystery, #5)
An American writer of detective fiction, Richard Lockridge's frequent collaborator was his wife Frances Lockridge, who co-wrote the Mr. and Mrs. North mystery series.
More about Richard Lockridge...

Mr. & Mrs. North (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Murder Out of Turn (Mr. & Mrs. North #2)
  • A Pinch of Poison (Mr. and Mrs. North #3)
  • Death on the Aisle (Mr. and Mrs. North #4)
  • Death Takes a Bow (Mr. and Mrs. North #5)
  • Hanged for a Sheep (Mr. and Mrs. North #6)
  • Killing the Goose (Mr. and Mrs. North #7)
  • Murder Within Murder (Mr. and Mrs. North #8)
  • Untidy Murder (Mr. and Mrs. North #9)
  • Payoff for the Banker (Mr. and Mrs. North #10)
  • Murder Is Served (Mr. and Mrs. North #11)