The Norths Meet Murder

The Norths Meet Murder (Mr. & Mrs. North Mystery #1)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  13 reviews
First in a long and extremely popular series, the main sleuth is actually Lt. Weigand of the NYC police - this is a cosy police procedural, with some nice bits of The Norths - who find the body - even though most people only remember them. In this first novel they do only a little sleuthing, and the focus is on police procedure.

from the back cover of The Thorndike Edition:...more
Hardcover
Published September 1st 1994 by Amereon House (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about The Norths Meet Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Norths Meet Murder

Mark
Mar 26, 2014 Mark rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of classic mystery
Recommended to Mark by: came across it by accident even if I have seen the tv show partially
The characters Pam & Jerry North were originally invented by Richard Lockridge for some vignettes he wrote for the New York Sun during the early thirties and which he later resurrected in the short domestic comedies he contributed to The New Yorker, by which time the Norths had acquired their full names but not yet their abilities as amateur detectives. A collection of the stories was published in 1936 as Mr. and Mrs. North. The crime novels originated when Frances Lockwood started writing a...more
Sarah Adamson
This is the first in the series. It is best described as an old fashioned mystery - full of wonderful detailed descriptions, a lot of fantastic sarcastic humour, great references to the time it's set in without feeling too researched and with nice twists to keep you going. It is not a cozy mystery. It is more comparable with books like the great Agatha Christies although perhaps more complex and less easy reading.
A good book, made me laugh and made me puzzle. I will read more in the series but...more
Abbey
1940, #1 Pam&Jerry North, Lt Bill Weigand NYC PD
Upper-middle-class New York City urban sophisticates (1940s style) find a dead man in a bathtub in an empty NY apartment; classic cosy police procedural four stars.

Pam North is a nice, slightly fuzzy youngish urban Missus who, with her publisher husband, lives a good life in New York City, filled with parties, shopping, dining out, etc. When she decides to give a big party she wants to use the space available in her small apartment building, t...more
Kathy Davie
First in the Mr. and Mrs. North mystery series set in late 1930s New York City and revolving around a curious couple. Jerry North is an editor with Kensington & Brown, and Pam North is a housewife.

My Take
I suspect my biggest reason for giving Norths Meet Murder a "4" is for the quaintness of it. I keep reminding myself that this is a period mystery, set in the late 1930s (and written in 1940), and I have to take this into account. It has a number of oddities in it which I attribute to the st...more
Victoria Mixon
I got a huge kick out this book! Crazy as all get-out, the Mr. & Mrs. North who followed on the NY heels of Nick & Nora Charles are charming, silly, and just astute enough to get themselves into trouble when someone they know takes advantage of an empty apartment above them to get someone else they know quietly out of the way.

I did figure out the culprit pretty early on, but the Lockridges do a nice job of muddying the waters. The only reason I didn't have the character pegged definitely...more
Mary Helene
What a slice of the late 30s! in New York City. It's chief characteristic: cocktails. Lots of talk about cocktails. "It was always odd and interesting to be a little changed by alcohol, but only enough to appreciate the change and relish it."
Susan
Jerry and Pam North (then called Fran) originated in a number of short pieces that Richard wrote about two people much like his wife and himself. When the pair decided to write a mystery, the characters were ready-made. Seemingly scatter-brained Pam decides to hold a party in the vacant apartment upstairs--there will be room for dancing. But then they find a dead body in the bathroom, and meet Lieutenant Bill Weigand and his faithful assistant Mullins. By the time Bill figures out whodunnit, Pam...more
C.P. Murphy
I found this book in an antique shop while vacationing in the 1,000 Islands. The room was full of dusty books that smelt of age but I wanted to buy something anyway so I grabbed this one. It had no blurb on the back cover, no picture on the cover, but yet intrique was all over the hardcover.

I truly enjoyed the story. The story took place in NYC in the 1940s and I felt like I was in that time era. Though, I know that the book was written then and there and its purpose wasn't to try to take me ba...more
Sue
A 'new-to-me' mystery series that I discovered during my library volunteer work. Although it wasn't Nick & Nora, it did have the same tone and snappy dialogue. It even had some of the infamous martinis from Nick & Nora. Enjoyable and with plenty of red herrings to make you think right up to the end.
Dorothy
The Mr. and Mrs. North mysteries are not something that would necessarily appeal to me today, but back in the day - late '60s, early '70s - I loved those books and devoured them like peanuts!
Bev Hankins
I love the zany world of Mr. and Mrs. North. These light, mad-cap mysteries are just the thing when you want something satisfying that won't make you think too hard.
Bev Hankins
Karen
a product of its time. reminded me of Tommy & Tuppence. and my grandmother. Will probably read another...
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Leo
Leo marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Judy Hall
Judy Hall marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Savannah
Savannah marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Sarah Braun
Sarah Braun marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Kasper
Kasper marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Keedron
Keedron marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
An American writer of detective fiction, Richard Lockridge's frequent collaborator was his wife Frances Lockridge, who co-wrote the Mr. and Mrs. North mystery series.
More about Richard Lockridge...
Murder in Hurry Murder Is Served Murder Out of Turn (Mr. & Mrs. North Mystery, #2) Murder Comes 1st Murder Within Murder