Through the Window: The Terrifying True Story of Cross-Country Killer Tommy Lynn Sells

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Ten-Year-Old Krystal Surles Watched In Horror
As Her Best Friend Was Murdered At The Hands Of An Intruder.

Then with cold-blooded precision he brought a twelve-inch boning knife to Krystal's throat. With a single, violent slash, he severed her windpipe and left her for dead. Miraculously, she survived and would lead authorities to the arrest of 35-year-old Tommy Lynn Sells,...more
Published April 1st 2007 by St. Martin's True Crime (first published April 14th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Through the Window, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through the Window

♥ Marlene♥
On Sunday, November 13, 2005 I wrote:

8 out of 10
Well I met Diane when she became a member of the true crime yahoo book club I was in. She is great by the way. She answered all our questions very patiently and is just a generally nice person to hang out with.

In this book was a scene which was so shocking to me, well and I have read alot of true crime books, but when i read how Sells killed a pregnant woman, I became sick to my stomach.

Book Description

Ten-Year-Old Krystal Surles Watched In Horro...more
Claire Yar
This book literally gave me nightmares. I have read books about Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer and many other true crime killing sprees, but this one just turned me cold. I couldn't finish it because I couldn't sleep. Great writing, but you need a tough skin to finish it.
Tracy Becerra
SCARY but hard to put down!
LauraTrev1
I just finished reading "Through the window" by Dianne Fanning and I LOVED it but I have to say that no book has had me so scared and alert like this one...! I hated the story and of course I could never be happy about events like that happening but I feel that Dianne was very good and telling us all that happened. It will probably take me a while to get over the images that I pictured with every word. I seriously took forever to finish it because I just had to stop at some points but it was so...more
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
I had never heard of Tommy Lynn Sells or any of his horrific crimes. Tommy Lynn is a confessed serial killer who has admitted to the deaths of over 40 people. His crimes span across the United States from new Mexico, to Texas and Mississippi.

He is currently serving a death sentence in Texas and was scheduled to be executed sometime in 2007. However, as with most death sentences the execution date has been delayed.

The crimes this man committed were very brutal and heartless. I was angered when...more
Tabi34
This is a scary book because it's true. Tommy Lynn Sells kills because he gets mad. If he thinks someone was disrespectful, he kills them and leaves no witnesses, except one. 10-year-old Krystal Surales. He slit her throat in her bed after she watched him kill her friend in their bedroom. She laid in bed until she was sure he was gone and then walked a 1/4 mile with her windpipe severed to a neighbor's house and got help, but she didn't stop there; she was able to give a description which led to...more
Barb
It is hard for me to fathom how someone could kill another adult without malice or cause. It is therefore totally beyond my realm of comprehension how anyone could beat a small child to death with a baseball bat or slit one’s throat with a boning knife. However, that is exactly some of the serial acts of murder that were committed by Tommy Lynn Sells.

The book takes you on a journey across the country and into the mind of this man who was able to commit these acts while seeming to be pretty norm...more
Debra Darschewski
Interesting and Very disturbing...not sure why I even picked up this book to begin with. Makes you wonder how many other people such as this are around and not caught. Given little communication between states, the constant lessening of charges, and the transient nature of this individual he may never had been caught if it hadn't been for a brave little girl who just happened to survive.
Jack
True crime story of a really evil Tommy Lynn Sells, who committed horrific murders all over the country for 18 years. This is one sick bastard. He deserves to be on death row in Texas. Sure he is bat shit crazy, but the stuff he did? Yeesh.

Good book if you like true crime, serial killer bios and/or horrific accounts of evil men.
Jane
Chilling.
If ever there were a justification for a serial killer becoming a serial killer, this is it.
If this book doesn't creep you out, something is wrong with you.
Debie Wisniewski Varady
This serial killer had no heart.
Debra
I have researched this man for years and have come to know him quiet personally.
He is one of the most disturbed individuals I have ever known. His reason for doing what he did isn't justified or reasonable. I believe everyone deserves a second chance but in his case, I can't say I would give him one. Some people are just to tainted and destroyed as a child that their lives are ruined to a point the sickness spreads and hurts thousands. My heart goes out to all the people he has hurt in his reig...more
Lori
Great depiction of a seriously depraved nonredeemable human being. I have read a lot about Tommy Lynn Sells and I saw the 48 Hours television show that was discussed in the book.

My only complaint is that given how prolific this cold blooded killer was, I wish the book would have been written in chronological order. It was very hard to follow his path and the writer flipped back and forth making it even harder to keep track. But then again, Tommy didn't bother to keep track either, he just kept...more
Erin
Not-very-good true crime. Choppy writing and overwrought descriptions. I think I was interested in this because a portion took place here in Charleston, West Virginia. Fanning also had actual contact with Sells, which definitely added to the narrative.
Dani
Wonderfully accurate and detailed book by a very gifted writer. However, I must admit I no longer sleep with my window open! Consider yourself warned.
Gayle
Tommy Lynn Sells is truly coldhearted and unbelievable. I've read this case somewhere before, but not this same book.
Roxie
such remarkable writing from Diane Fanning about this brave little girl bringing this killer to justice!!
Jerri

It was an Ok True Crime story. The things that man did were unthinkable.
Bonni
Chilling - Diane Fanning books are always good.
Gina Gatti
it was a really good book
Tiffany
This story was based on the outskirts of my hometown!!!
Lynn
Lynn added it
Aug 28, 2014
Courteney Pepper
Courteney Pepper marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Teraisa Goldman
Teraisa Goldman marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Sevenstar
Sevenstar marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Tommy Lynn Sells 1 5 Sep 20, 2011 09:52PM
Mommy's Little Girl Gone Forever The Pastor's Wife Written in Blood Baby Be Mine