Start by marking “Through the Window: The Terrifying True Story of Cross-Country Killer Tommy Lynn Sells” as Want to Read:

Ten-Year-Old Krystal Surles Watched In Horror
As Her Best Friend Was Murdered At The Hands Of An Intruder.

Then with cold-blooded precision he brought a twelve-inch boning knife to Krystal's throat. With a single, violent slash, he severed her windpipe and left her for dead. Miraculously, she survived and would lead authorities to the arrest of 35-year-old Tommy Lynn Sells,
Published April 1st 2007 by St. Martin's True Crime (first published April 14th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Through the Window, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through the Window

Claire Yar
This book literally gave me nightmares. I have read books about Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer and many other true crime killing sprees, but this one just turned me cold. I couldn't finish it because I couldn't sleep. Great writing, but you need a tough skin to finish it.
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
I had never heard of Tommy Lynn Sells or any of his horrific crimes. Tommy Lynn is a confessed serial killer who has admitted to the deaths of over 40 people. His crimes span across the United States from new Mexico, to Texas and Mississippi.

He is currently serving a death sentence in Texas and was scheduled to be executed sometime in 2007. However, as with most death sentences the execution date has been delayed.

The crimes this man committed were very brutal and heartless. I was angered when
Barb
Mar 23, 2011 Barb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is hard for me to fathom how someone could kill another adult without malice or cause. It is therefore totally beyond my realm of comprehension how anyone could beat a small child to death with a baseball bat or slit one’s throat with a boning knife. However, that is exactly some of the serial acts of murder that were committed by Tommy Lynn Sells.

The book takes you on a journey across the country and into the mind of this man who was able to commit these acts while seeming to be pretty norm
LauraTrev1
Feb 25, 2014 LauraTrev1 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading "Through the window" by Dianne Fanning and I LOVED it but I have to say that no book has had me so scared and alert like this one...! I hated the story and of course I could never be happy about events like that happening but I feel that Dianne was very good and telling us all that happened. It will probably take me a while to get over the images that I pictured with every word. I seriously took forever to finish it because I just had to stop at some points but it was so ...more
♥ Marlene♥
On Sunday, November 13, 2005 I wrote:

8 out of 10
Well I met Diane when she became a member of the true crime yahoo book club I was in. She is great by the way. She answered all our questions very patiently and is just a generally nice person to hang out with.

In this book was a scene which was so shocking to me, well and I have read alot of true crime books, but when i read how Sells killed a pregnant woman, I became sick to my stomach.

Book Description

Ten-Year-Old Krystal Surles Watched In Horro
Tracy Becerra
Sep 26, 2012 Tracy Becerra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SCARY but hard to put down!
Tabi34
Mar 01, 2012 Tabi34 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a scary book because it's true. Tommy Lynn Sells kills because he gets mad. If he thinks someone was disrespectful, he kills them and leaves no witnesses, except one. 10-year-old Krystal Surales. He slit her throat in her bed after she watched him kill her friend in their bedroom. She laid in bed until she was sure he was gone and then walked a 1/4 mile with her windpipe severed to a neighbor's house and got help, but she didn't stop there; she was able to give a description which led to ...more
Jack
Apr 03, 2013 Jack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
True crime story of a really evil Tommy Lynn Sells, who committed horrific murders all over the country for 18 years. This is one sick bastard. He deserves to be on death row in Texas. Sure he is bat shit crazy, but the stuff he did? Yeesh.

Good book if you like true crime, serial killer bios and/or horrific accounts of evil men.
Debra Darschewski
Interesting and Very disturbing...not sure why I even picked up this book to begin with. Makes you wonder how many other people such as this are around and not caught. Given little communication between states, the constant lessening of charges, and the transient nature of this individual he may never had been caught if it hadn't been for a brave little girl who just happened to survive.
Jane
Jul 25, 2007 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: truecrime
Chilling.
If ever there were a justification for a serial killer becoming a serial killer, this is it.
If this book doesn't creep you out, something is wrong with you.
Debie Wisniewski Varady
This serial killer had no heart.
Alexandra
May 26, 2016 Alexandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read a lot of true crime and have somewhat of an obsession with serial killers, but until this book I was unaware of Tommy Lynn Sells (how did I miss this?) AND of a serial killer quite this frightening. Ted Bundy and Andrei Chikatilo seemed scary once, but after this, both seem quite tame.

The book is well written, follows a very good story like progression, and presents all the facts of Tommy's life, making you wonder how people can end up so violent and angry. I don't know if the book an
Lori
Jul 30, 2013 Lori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
Great depiction of a seriously depraved nonredeemable human being. I have read a lot about Tommy Lynn Sells and I saw the 48 Hours television show that was discussed in the book.

My only complaint is that given how prolific this cold blooded killer was, I wish the book would have been written in chronological order. It was very hard to follow his path and the writer flipped back and forth making it even harder to keep track. But then again, Tommy didn't bother to keep track either, he just kept
Lynette
I regretted starting this because it does tend to mire one's thoughts in the seamier side of life. It's upsetting to know that people like this exist. The author came and talked to my book group about another book (true crime) that she'd written, but said Tommy Lynn Sells was the criminal she covered who freaked her out more than any other, so I purchased the book. What a monster! I was glad to finish it and hope it doesn't haunt me too much.
Erin
Oct 23, 2011 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not-very-good true crime. Choppy writing and overwrought descriptions. I think I was interested in this because a portion took place here in Charleston, West Virginia. Fanning also had actual contact with Sells, which definitely added to the narrative.
Jill Crosby
Show, don't tell. This slim volume contained gruesome lists of murders as we followed serial killer Tommy Lynn Sells on his dizzying killing jaunts around America. Very little insight---just list after list of vicious crimes and no commentary on the perpetrator.
Fishface
Jan 23, 2016 Fishface rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
I had to force my way through this one -- although the case was fairly interesting, I found the writing clumsy and irritating.
Dee brown
Feb 24, 2016 Dee brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The true story of Tommy Sells serial killing rampage through the country. He was brutal. He had no thought of his victims or their families. Most of all total disregard to the victims life.
Dani
Aug 19, 2012 Dani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderfully accurate and detailed book by a very gifted writer. However, I must admit I no longer sleep with my window open! Consider yourself warned.
Roxie
Nov 10, 2012 Roxie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
such remarkable writing from Diane Fanning about this brave little girl bringing this killer to justice!!
Gayle
Aug 03, 2010 Gayle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tommy Lynn Sells is truly coldhearted and unbelievable. I've read this case somewhere before, but not this same book.
Paul Jones
Paul Jones rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2014
Joe
Joe rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
Jill B A
Jill B A rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2014
Dixie
Dixie rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2015
Delilah
Delilah rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2012
Isabella Greenlee
Isabella Greenlee rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2015
Kristin Leal
Kristin Leal rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2009
Stephen C.
Stephen C. rated it really liked it
May 02, 2015
Tricia Dugan
Tricia Dugan rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2016
  • Sudden Terror
  • Dismembered
  • Almost Paradise: The East Hampton Murder of Ted Ammon
  • One of Your Own: The Life and Death of Myra Hindley
  • Stolen in the Night: The True Story of a Family's Murder, a Kidnapping and the Child Who Survived
  • Little Lost Angel
  • Witch: The True Story of Las Vegas' Most Notorious Female Killer
  • Pure Murder
  • Cries in the Desert
  • Kill For Me
  • Love Hurts: The True Story of a Teen Romance, a Vicious Plot, and a Family Murdered
  • Cannibal: The True Story Behind the Maneater of Rotenburg