Start by marking “Duna (Duna, #1)” as Want to Read:
Duna (Duna, #1)

Duna (Dune Chronicles #1)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  414,111 ratings  ·  9,748 reviews
Kultovní SF sága Duny, kterou mnozí znají z některé její filmové adaptace, se rodila nesnadno. Její první díl, román Duna, který později proslavil jednoho z dnes již klasiků SF literatury, Franka Herberta, vyšel v roce 1963 v časopise Analog pod názvem Svět Duny. Tehdy vyšla ovšem jen jeho část. Díky obrovskému ohlasu u čtenářů napsal vzápětí autor pokračování příběhu Pror ...more
Published 1999 by Baronet (first published December 1st 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Duna, please sign up.

Nasos Delveroudis - (warning, wall of text incoming)

- (warning, wall of text incoming)

Short answer: No, it's not necessary to read the rest of the series. Dune can be treated as a standalone book and story.

But why would you want to do that? You'll miss most of the fun, as some of the subsequent books are arguably better (especially God Emperor of Dune which, in my opinion, is probably the best and deepest sci-fi work of all time by far). Moreover the saga of Dune by no means ends with the book, as only in the second volume there are huge plot twists and the story develops drastically taking a whole new turn (quite unexpected too).

Long answer: The Dune saga practically consists of two parts. The first six books were written by Frank Herbert in the period between 1965 and 1985. These are::

1) Dune (1965)
2) Dune Messiah (1969)
3) Children of Dune (1976)
4) God Emperor of Dune (1981) (like I said, arguably the best book of its genre)
5) Heretics of Dune (1984)
6) Chapterhouse: Dune (1985)

One may read them in this exact order, as they're not only sorted by publishing date but it's also how the epic unfolds in chronological order. Unfortunately Frank left his work unfinished and the story incomplete, because he passed away before he had the chance to finish the seventh book.

But his legacy lived on and it was his son Brian Herbert who resumed the Dune series, in collaboration with Kevin Anderson (widely known for contributing to the Star Wars universe by writing lots of original stories, especially "The Jedi Academy Trilogy").

Not only that but just after they'd started writing the first few books of the "modern" Dune era, they discovered long lost and forgotten material by late Frank, sealed for 15 odd years in a bank locker. It turned out these notes were actually rough guidelines about the legendary Dune 7, the missing part of the saga, the one which would complete the series, which no one had expected to see.

Brian and Kevin have released 12 books so far (but we should be expecting more to come), which I'll cite below. They are separated by thematic context, which is required as most have been written in trilogy form and need to be read in this particular order:

--- Prelude to Dune series (it's about a period beginning about 35 years before the events of the original Dune and ending about 15 years before them):

1. House Atreides (1999)
2. House Harkonnen (2000)
3. House Corrino (2001)

--- Legends of Dune series (refers to the old galaxy-wide war between humankind and machines, about 10 thousand years before Dune, when the foundations of the saga were actually built):

4. The Butlerian Jihad (2002)
5. The Machine Crusade (2003)
6. The Battle of Corrin (2004)

- Dune 7 (as a matter of fact it's an untitled series but it's practically Dune 7, split in two parts and it obviously resumes the story from where Frank Herbert left it in distant 1985):

7. Hunters of Dune (2006)
8. Sandworms of Dune (2007)

--- Heroes of Dune series (it's about a period starting around 15 years before Dune until its very beginning):

9. Paul of Dune (2008)
10. The Winds of Dune (2009)

--- Great Schools of Dune series (OK, I'll have to admit I haven't read these two yet, so I haven't got the slightest idea what they're about! Hopefully I'll find out soon enough)

11. Sisterhood of Dune (2012)
12. Mentats of Dune (2014)

The emerging question is in which order does one have to read all these books (the usual and everlasting dilemma of non-linear/multi-volume series such as the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit/Silmarillion, Ender's Saga etc). Do we have to follow the order in which they were written/published or the chronological order in which the story develops? Do we need to first read Dune (1965) or perhaps go with the Butlerian Jihad (2002) which, after all, takes place 10 thousand years earlier?

My suggestion is to read them exactly in the order in which they were presented above. I think it'd be a sin (really) if your first impression about Dune were from the books of Brian Herbert and not from Frank's.

One could also ponder if all these books are really worth it, all 18 of them. Perhaps some might actually be skipped altogether? I'd say the first twelve of them (from Dune-1965 to The Battle of Corrin-2004) are really a must read. Obviously the first six books (by Frank) are MUCH deeper but if you could make some concessions, Brian's volumes are pretty good themselves. You only need to not expect the same level of depth and lower your requirements. They'll turn out to be pretty enjoyable.

However I believe that beginning from Hunters of Dune, the story takes a somewhat Star Wars-ish turn and deviates from Frank's original spirit (eg. instead of the usual layered plots within plots within plots with increasingly difficult to grasp notions, you're starting to read more and more about space fights and lasers and the like).

All in all, I hope you'll enjoy the Dune Chronicles!(less)
Lucas Well, seeing as I am a 12 year old reading this book I would suggest this book to many people, im not that far into the book but I think that it's a…moreWell, seeing as I am a 12 year old reading this book I would suggest this book to many people, im not that far into the book but I think that it's a great book so far. I would definitely recommend this to my friends.(less)

Manny
There's a characteristically witty essay by Borges about a man who rewrites Don Quixote, many centuries after Cervantes. He publishes a novel with the same title, containing the same words in the same order. But, as Borges shows you, the different cultural context means it's a completely new book! What was once trite and commonplace is now daring and new, and vice versa. It just happens to look like Cervantes's masterpiece.

Similarly, imagine the man who was brave or stupid enough to rewrite Dune
John Wiswell
Jul 30, 2013 John Wiswell rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science fiction readers, fantasy readers, speculative fiction readers
No one should argue the importance Dune. It laid the foundations for a great deal of the themes and constructs in modern science fiction. Frank Herbert was as important to the genre as Isaac Asimov and Arthur Clarke. Unfortunately, just like them, he's quite dated, and his books can be a labor to read. One thing he maintained from old science fiction was prim and scientific dialogue that no one would ever actually speak. I've known many scientists, and they don't talk like this. You're not going ...more
Rajat Ubhaykar
In my head, the purpose of this review is very clear. It is to convince YOU to read this book. Yes, you! Waste time no more. Go grab a copy.

Machiavellian intrigue, mythology, religion, politics, imperialism, environmentalism, the nature of power. All this set in a mind-boggling, frighteningly original world which Herbert ominously terms as an "effort at prediction". Dune had me hooked!

First impression

The very first stirring I felt upon opening the yellowed pages of Dune was that of stumbling upo
Matt
Like most of my five star books, I’ve read Dune multiple times. In fact, I’d say that what makes a book more than just enjoyable and instead truly amazing is that you want to read it more than once and are rewarded for doing so. I’ve probably read Dune six times, and I’ve never gotten tired of it but my understanding of the work has increased over time.

To begin with, the first time I read Dune, I got about three pages into it, realized I didn’t understand a thing and that I was hopelessly confus
J.G. Keely
People often forget that this series is what innovated our modern concept of science fiction (up until Neuromancer and The Martix, at least). Dune took the Space Opera and asked if it might be more than spandex, dildo-shaped rockets, and scantily-clad green women. Herbert created a vast and complex system of ancient spatial politics and peoples, then set them at one another's throats over land, money, and drugs.

Dune is often said to relate to Sci Fi in the same way that Tolkien relates to Fantas
Bookworm Sean
I could never give Dune five stars because I really struggled to get into the novel in the beginning. It has taken me almost two months to read. This, for me, is a very long time to spend on a book. It took me so long to read because I found the writing style incredibly frustrating. I had to read whole chapters again so I could get the gist of the plot. This was more so in the beginning, which I found particularly hard to read because of the author’s way of shifting between the thoughts of multi ...more
Terry
Is it space opera? Is it political commentary? Is it philosophical exploration? Is it fantasy? _Dune_ is all of these things and possibly more. One thing I do know: it's a kick-ass read!

I've loved this book since I first plunged into it's mightily constructed, weird and obscure world. Of course it's hailed as a classic, and I am one of those that agrees. The sheer magnitude of Herbert's invention, his monumental world-building tied with an exciting story of betrayal, survival, rebellion and ulti
Markus
Buddy re-read with Athena!

“To begin your study of the life of Muad'Dib, then, take care that you first place him in his time: born in the 57th year of the Padishah Emperor, Shaddam IV. And take the most special care that you locate Muad'Dib in his place: the planet Arrakis. Do not be deceived by the fact that he was born on Caladan and lived his first fifteen years there. Arrakis, the planet known as Dune, is forever his place.”

Thus begins one of the greatest novels ever written.

About ten years
Keith Mukai
I guess I'm one of the few that bridge the gap between the Pride and Prejudice camp and the Dune camp. I loved both.

Dune isn't a light, enjoyable read. At times it reads more like excerpts from geology, ecology, zoology, sociology, pscyhology, and political textbooks. The characters are more like mega-archetypes than real human beings.

The appeal of Dune is peculiar. In order to enjoy Dune you have to enjoy complexity. All authors create little worlds in their stories but Herbert created a world.
j
DBR to follow, at Ceridwen's request. She must have used one of her Bene Gesserit tricks on me.

***
Dune. Dune is a fascinating book. A classic of science-fiction, it plays equally as fantasy and allegory. It is deeply textured, richly layered. And if you want to read a sensible review of it, I'd go read, say, Cedriwen's. This one is going to be full of silliness.

Arrakis. The desert planet. Home to spice and sandworms. Dune. You know, I went to the desert once. The Sahara Desert. It looked like th
Otis Chandler
When people ask me what my favorite book is, Dune is always my answer. Words cannot even do justice to what an epic tale this is. We learn about spirituality, human nature, politics, religion, and the making of a hero.

I loved the spiritual aspects of the book the best. The philosophies and practices and Pranu Bindu training of the Bene Gesserit that Paul learns and builds upon. The Bene Gesserit believe in a training regiment that results in a superior human being - one with every sense as refin
Alexa
Welcome to Unpopular Review Time! Where I go against what almost everyone else says about a book.

Before we start, please do not be fooled by the three star rating. Even if I didn't like really like the book, I have to acknowledge there are reasons why Dune is a cornerstone of the Sci Fi genre.

Now, let's talk about the important stuff.

This is a masterpiece of world building.

We get a new planet, and while it's obvious that Herbert based his desert planet on real sights and cultures, it's still aw
Lyn
Dune.

No other single syllable means as much to the science fiction genre, a single word that conjures images of sandworms, spice wars, great battles between rival dynastic families and a massively detailed and intricately crafted universe. No wonder this is widely regarded as not just a Science Fiction masterpiece, but a literary achievement as well.

Like a study of Shakespeare, the reader finds that this is an archetype upon which many influences and imitators have based their works. The comple
Penny
Top 10 favourite book of all time! I'm having a good run of books from that point of view at the moment.

Told in the voice of an omniscient narrator the plot unfolds with practised ease around the cast. I'm not used to this style of narration and found it to be very powerful. Knowing the private thoughts and reactions of relevant characters in certain scenes was often vastly more revealing than anything else could have been.

The world building was simply brilliant. The universe with it's politics
Evgeny
This is a classic science fiction book with both movies and miniseries adaptations, so I assume the majority of the people are familiar with the plot which means I will be a little less careful about giving spoilers than usual.

In the distant future the humanity is ruled by an intergalactic feudal Empire - is absolute monarchy the best the humanity could come up with after all its history? Anyway, Duke Leto Atreides accepts control of a desert planet called Arrakis (aka Dune) which also happened
Szplug
As kids, my older brother was a Dune guy, whereas I bowed at the altar of John Ronald Reuel—and neither of us could ever bring ourselves to meet fully in the other's territory. I have tried Frank Herbert's renowned series several times now but have yet to make it further than Dune Messiah, the succinct, but inferior, follow-up to his smash-hit series opener. Everything that constitutes this curiously prescient science-fiction champion appeals to me: an alluringly thoughtful and flush aeon-spanni ...more
Stuart
Dune: The greatest SF novel of all time, never to be matched by later sequels

What more can be said about Frank Herbert’s 1965 masterpiece? This massive epic of political intrigue, messianic heroes, vile villains, invincible desert fighters, telepathic witches, sandworms and spice, guild pilots who fold space, and a relentless action-packed narrative that still has ample room for beautiful descriptive passages and copious philosophizing on the mythology of the messiah/savior. In short, Dune is a
Katie
I've loved science fiction my whole life, but I was finally told that I couldn't call myself a SF fan if I hadn't read Dune. So I read it. I know Dune is worshipped as a paragon of groundbreaking SF, I can witness and acknowledge Herbert's genius, and I can understand that when it was written it was certainly seminal, but I still don't think much of it.

Aside from Herbert's horribly annoying use of 3rd-person-omnipotent viewpoint, he's just not a good writer. For clarification: he's a fantastic s
Apatt
Does the world need another Dune review? I very much doubt it needs mine but that never stopped me before, saturation be damned!

Dune in and of itself, in isolation from the rest of the numerous other Dune books, is by general consensus the greatest sci-fi novel of all time. You may not agree, and one book can not please everybody but statistically Dune comes closest to achieving just this. Witness how often you see it at or near the top of all-time best sf books lists.

I never read Dune with the
Becky
This is one of those books that I've always thought that I should read, but never actually wanted to read, simply because I thought that it would have to be tedious and dry and, I hate to say it, boring. Which goes to show what a poor book-cover judge I am, because this book was anything but tedious, dry or boring. In fact, one of the first things that struck me about this book was the readability and fast-paced action and intrigue. So much happened in such a short amount of time, that I'd have ...more
Stephen
6.0 stars. On my list of All Time Favorite Novels. Arguably the greatest Science Fiction novel ever written and certainly a standard by which other works are judged. The best way I can think of to describe the world and characters created by Frank Herbert in his Dune series is "staggering." HIGHEST POSSIBLE RECOMMENDATION!!!

Winner: Hugo Award for Best Novel
Winner: Nebula Award Best Novel
Listed #1 of Locus Poll of All Time Greatest SF Novels
Jonathan
Cross-posted at my booklikes profile

4.5 Stars

Dune has long been a book that has attracted my attention, even before I realised it. When I was seven years old I learned to read with the aid of The Chronicles of Narnia and shortly afterwards The Hobbit. These fantasy novels inspired a love of reading and also a love of wonderful worlds and adventures, a love which was further fostered when at around the same age my parents introduced me to Star Wars. Such a science fiction concept with its spac
Jonfaith
What has mood to do with it? You fight when the necessity arises—no matter the mood! Mood's a thing for cattle or making love or playing the baliset. It's not for fighting.

My problems with Dune are not issues with speculation. My disbelief is maintained through healthy exercise. Much as I am opposed to terms like world-building I can empathize and imagine. Pondering alternatives is a heady philosophical endeavor. That said, I do not like the insistence on the epic in SF/F. What I want is a Month
Tatiana
Apr 15, 2010 Tatiana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of sophisticated science fiction
Recommended to Tatiana by: Ryan
Shelves: sci-fi, 2010, nebula
I like books for different reasons - characters, writing style, exciting plot. I will remember "Dune" for its remarkable world-building.

Dune (or Arrakis) is a desert planet. It is barren, almost waterless, and it is the only source of melange - a spice with unique geriatric qualities - it extends lives, enhances mental abilities, and is necessary for space travel. Dune is at the center of an Imperial scheme to bring down the influential House of Atreides led by Duke Leto Atreides. The plan is to
Steve
This was a reread for me; I first read it over 30 years ago, in 1982, I think. It's still a classic in the realm of science fiction, and is among the same standard as Tolkien's Lord of the Rings set for fantasy writing.

Not much to add to the hundreds of thousands of reviews and ratings. The truly amazing thing about this book (and series) is the amount of detail that the author put into not only the world creation, but the entire galaxy, including languages, religions, politics, and space trave
Liz* Fashionably Late
BR with my Emma's Party friends (:
-----------------------

Liz against the world's rating: 3.9 Stars

Look at me, here I am reading Hugo's winner Dune 50 years after its publication and living to tell the tale. Dune is, without doubt, a groundbreaking story with a complex and enthralling universe. The concept of Dune is exhilarating: sandworms, a messiah, the Fremen and their spice.

The actual reading, however, is a slightly less perfect experience.

description

Princess Irulan states from the beginning that pr
Chris
I love this book. This was my first re-read of the classic that I'm sure I'll visit with again a few times down the road. But I shouldn't have waited 20 years. This book is too good to go that long without reading again.

How can I do it justice in a review? I can say, "it's cool", but that doesn't come close. Even a 5-star rating seems to be short of expressing its worth. This is one of those books that should be allowed a 6th star.

I can't even pin down what it is exactly that makes this stand ou
Adam
I've read and reread this novel across the years, and I'll continue to do so.

Dune was Frank Herbert's imagination breathed into the pages of a single book. He wrote numerous others to follow it, all of which continue to explore and flesh out the world he introduced us to in this, the first of his Dune series. The world in its pages is so vast and so rife with potential that his son, Brian, has continued in his father's footsteps, writing further explorations of the history that led up to this bo
Léonard Gaya
This novel is often said to be one of the classic masterpieces of 20th century American Science-Fiction. Incidentally, it has probably become a worldwide popular novel thanks to the film adaptation David Lynch directed in the early 1980's (this movie was, and still is, not considered one of his best). Indeed, Frank Herbert wrote a novel of epic proportions, in other words a "space opera", with its intergalactic feudal society, its decadent (if not evil) empire and its band of rebels: the book wa ...more
Xime García
: Me gustó, nada extraordinario.

3.5 estrellas en realidad.

Hello, fellas! Sigo de viaje, sí, pero hallé una tarde libre y mientras se me carga el penúltimo episodio de The Walking Dead, decidí dar una vueltita por Goodreads.

description

Resulta que me gustó. Sí. Nunca había leído nada de ciencia ficción enteramente. Husmeando en mi librería habitual me choqué con este libro, y luego de investigar un poco en internet, descubrí que es algo así como la biblia de los libros de ciencia ficción, como el Star Wars
SciFi Book Club: Does Dune Deserve it 2 8 13 hours, 20 min ago
Best Science Fict...: #2 - Dune 2 6 Aug 28, 2015 06:01AM
Nerdist Book Club: Dune 1 3 Aug 16, 2015 07:49PM
  • House Corrino (Prelude to Dune, #3)
  • Second Foundation (Foundation, #3)
  • The Player of Games (Culture, #2)
  • A Deepness in the Sky (Zones of Thought #2)
  • The Demolished Man
  • The Forever War (The Forever War, #1)
  • Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos, #1)
  • Lord of Light
  • Snow Crash
  • The Mote in God's Eye (Moties, #1)
  • Neuromancer (Sprawl, #1)
  • The Vor Game (Vorkosigan Saga, #6)
  • The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
  • Green Mars (Mars Trilogy, #2)
  • Old Man's War (Old Man's War, #1)
  • Rendezvous with Rama (Rama, #1)
  • Pandora's Star (Commonwealth Saga, #1)
  • Downward to the Earth
Frank Herbert was a critically acclaimed and commercially successful American science fiction author.

He is best known for the novel Dune and its five sequels. The Dune saga, set in the distant future and taking place over millennia, dealt with themes such as human survival and evolution, ecology, and the intersection of religion, politics, and power, and is widely considered to be among the classi
More about Frank Herbert...

Dune Chronicles (8 books)
  • Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles, #2)
  • Children of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #3)
  • God Emperor of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #4)
  • Heretics of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #5)
  • Chapterhouse: Dune (Dune Chronicles, #6)
  • Hunters of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #7)
  • Sandworms of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #8)
Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles, #2) Children of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #3) The Great Dune Trilogy  God Emperor of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #4) Heretics of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #5)

105 trivia questions
12 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” 5960 likes
“Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.” 656 likes