Start by marking “Here Are My Hands” as Want to Read:
Here Are My Hands

Here Are My Hands

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  483 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
Ideally suited to the board-book format, Here Are My Hands invites very young children to respond spontaneously and creatively as they learn the parts of the body. The rhyming text and bold illustrations do more than name the eyes, ears, nose, and toes. By featuring children of many different backgrounds, the book quietly celebrates the commonality of people around the wor ...more
Published October 15th 1989 by Square Fish (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Here Are My Hands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here Are My Hands

Tymia Woods
This is an excellent choice to read during a multi cultural lesson for infants and toddlers. As a teacher I could use this book to show the similarities of children with different cultural backgrounds. We could then go from this book into identifying similarities and differences within our bet own classroom.
Sassy
Sep 16, 2013 Sassy rated it it was ok
I started to use this book for an about me story time, because my other options weren't checked in yet. This book is good for what it is, but there are two pages that gave me pause.

"Here are my ears for washing and drying" but it shows a child with a seashell up to his ear. The next page says, "Here are my knees for falling down" and shows a child on his knees, bandaid already on and a tear falling from his eyes.

*scooby doo confusion noise* (you know the one!)

The rest of the book gives a body
Bea
Some of the examples given for body parts are absurd; for instance, there's no mention of hearing or listening for ears, instead they're apparently just for washing and drying. The knee one is a poor choice too though at least it's relatable for young children. The children enjoy the pictures.
Aiyana
Feb 26, 2014 Aiyana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kiddos
I picked this book up on a whim at the thrift store, never having heard of it before-- and I'm SO glad that I did!

This is the very first book that Uggle ever let me read to him, cover to cover, at age 24 months.

Now he requests it regularly. We read it over and over. I think the record is 2.5 times through in one sitting, without him getting at all distracted, which is pretty impressive for an energetic 2-year-old who won't even sit still to eat.

He loves not only the illustrations and sing-song r
Maria Estrada
Apr 24, 2016 Maria Estrada rated it it was amazing
This multicultural book is great for the little ones! It teaches them the different parts of the body. I think this is a great book for children because it also teaches them that despite our colors or ethnicity, we have common things such as hands, feet, legs, etc. This book also rhymes and I think it could be used in the classroom by having students act out each part.

The bright colors in the illustrations draw attention to the reader and show each part of the body. I really enjoyed looking at
Heather Bowden
The main idea of this book initially looks like a book about body parts. But if you look a little deeper, you will see that each child shown is a different race and that we all have the same body parts, that are shown in the book, and we use them for the same thing. For example one page says, "Here is my nose for smelling and blowing" we all use our nose for those reasons. There aren't any main characters in the book, each child is different on each page. This could be a non-fiction book since ...more
Dominique
Apr 01, 2014 Dominique rated it it was amazing
This story is fun for young readers and it's one of the few non fiction stories my toddlers love! I use this book to teach what the different parts of the body are used for. For example the book says hands are for catching and throwing but what are some other things we use our hands for?

In the classroom I will make an obstacle course for the children to use their body parts and also tell me which parts they have to use to get through.
Tim Protiva
Here Are My Hands invites very young children to respond spontaneously and creatively as they learn the parts of the body. The rhyming text and bold illustrations do more than name the eyes, ears, nose, and toes. By featuring children of many different backgrounds, the book quietly celebrates the commonality of people around the world. A good choice for Storytime and a great way to learn and name the parts of the body.
Susan
Sep 20, 2015 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, storybook
The book generally gives some good rhymes describing the different parts of the body and what they do. It is great that the children featured are from a variety of different ethnic backgrounds, and that both girls and boys are represented.

However, I was confused by the ideas that 'ears are for washing and drying' (are they not primarily for hearing? and maybe secondarily for putting your glasses' arms on ;-) ?) and that 'knees are for falling down'. I get that these ideas fit the rhymes but they
Serene Atkins-Tate
Feb 25, 2015 Serene Atkins-Tate rated it it was ok
Shelves: body-parts
Here are My Hands by Bill Martin Jr, is a book that explores body parts and there functions. The book gives all the major body parts and what we use them for. The illustrations for each part are vivid and enlarged. The author uses rhyming words making it fun and easy. This book is appropriate for toddlers and preschoolers.
Sarah Sammis
Jan 21, 2011 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
Now that my daughter can read, her library book choices are changing. Although she still likes to be read to and for those will opt for her favorite themes: cats, princesses and characters named Harriet, the books she picks to read for herself most often reflect what she's currently learning in school.

When she was learning anatomy in school she chose Here Are My Hands by Bill Martin Jr. The book features the basic parts of the body, each one doing some sort of action. The models for the action a
Shanshad Whelan
Cute in its way, but it sort of loses out as a true concept book. Hands, feet, nose, head, and eyes all work with the descriptions, but then the author has "ears/for washing and drying" huh? Ears are for hearing. If a book has become nonsense in order to rhyme then the rhyming should be abandoned, IMHO. Then it's knees "for falling down" what? Knees are for bending, not for falling down or for the alarming picture of a boy crying with a band aid on his knee. And neck "for turning around" is allr ...more
Angela
Best for kids ages 3 and up
Early Literacy Skills: Print Motivation, Phonological Awareness, Vocabulary

From cover:
Here are my Hands is a simple picture book that is meant to be read aloud and acted out by very young children. the rhyming text, which deals with parts of the body, invites children to respond spontaneously and creatively:
Here are my hands for catching and throwing. Here are my feet for stopping and going. Here is my head for thinking and knowing. Here is my nose for smelling and blo
Carrie
Saidy
Dec 09, 2015 Saidy rated it it was amazing
i like this book because it shows what hands are used for. like playing and feeling. it meant the uses of the body parts like hand head feet and nose. the pictures illustrate the words . kids can act out the book too as its being read.
Jasmine
This is a very good book they teaches children about their senses and their body parts. This book can be used to teach children self-awareness and about their bodies. Very easy to read. Can be used for children aged two through four.
Kelly
I like the inclusivity of the illustrations (especially for a 1987 publication date), and the text is pretty good. (But "Here are my ears for washing and drying. Here are my knees for falling down." Really, is that the best you can do?)
Madeline Natzke
Apr 24, 2012 Madeline Natzke rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with this book after a class mate in Language and Literacy read it to the class. I love the book because it goes through all of the different parts of the body. It allows the children to join along which is always something to keep their attention. The pictures are illustrated in such a nice way, and the rhymes will keep you listening. Along with all of this, the book shows children from different races and cultures, which is always a great quality I look for in a book.

Extension:
Dawn
Jul 23, 2016 Dawn rated it liked it
Shelves: authors-i-love
Great for the kids in the learning-the-body-parts stage. Not only can they point to their own body parts, they can identify the body parts in the illustrations. And kudos for picking some non-obvious parts, like the elbow!
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at Baby/Toddler Lap Time on 10/7/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby/Toddler Story Time on 2/7/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Preschool Story Time on 7/13/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at drop-in story time on 11/6/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at drop-in story time on 7/19/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at toddler lap time on 7/19/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Katie (Katrina) Means
A good picture book that shows children of different ethnic groups using their hands. The children also share how they use their hands and other body parts -like eyes for seeing and head for thinking.
Sylvester
Jun 23, 2014 Sylvester rated it really liked it
4* art
4* rhyme

Squirt likes to imitate the pictures - especially the ears and knees ones - "Ow! Ow!" he knows what he's talking about, too. Those knees of his are scratched up something awful.
Tony Ruiz
Apr 23, 2010 Tony Ruiz rated it liked it
Here Are My Hands – Bill Martin Jr.
Grade: K-2
Pages: 32
Theme: Diversity, Body Parts
Awards: IRA-CBC Children’s Choices
Genre: Picture Book
Response: I thought “Here Are My Hands” is a great rhyming book that went well for diversity. It helps students learn how to describe themselves, and that there are different ethnicities of children in the book, which is great for students who haven’t been exposed to different ethnicities before.
Class Activitiy: After reading the story aloud, students will creat
Stephany
Mar 30, 2015 Stephany rated it it was amazing
This book could be used in a 1 or 2 year old classroom. Good for describing body parts using rhyming vocabulary. Good illustrations and easy for the children to see.
Joy Colclasure
Apr 17, 2012 Joy Colclasure rated it it was amazing
A classmate read this book for her literacy presentation along with a cute flannel board set that she made to go along with the story. I really enjoyed this book. It was my first time hearing it. This is a great book to intoduce the diffrent parts of the body in a fun rhyming way. THis book also describes each part of the body and what it is used for. I am glad that I had the opprtunity to hear this book because I will make sure to read it to my children.

Extension activity: After hearing the sto
Cara Byrne
Feb 16, 2016 Cara Byrne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The board book version is great for toddlers. The book is engaging as each page explains what hands, feet, and other body parts can do.
June
Sep 23, 2014 June rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: librarians, parents and teachers
I used this a Toddler Time and it went over well. However, it is fairly simple and short, so I might try it in lap time next year. 9/30/11

Moved to shorter, simpler books as the 1 year old got tired and the 6 year old got too excited. 10/9/12

Went over well at Lap Time. I had a very mixed age group with the government shutdown, but everyone participated.

Reused in Story Time I only had one hold over and I had some very active and younger children for story time. 10/1/13

Read since my day care was ea
Kristina
Kids can point to various parts of their body when mentioned in book - even very young children can do this.
Alissa Sparks
This is a good book for toddlers up through Kindergarten to learn their body parts.
Julie Surface
Nov 06, 2014 Julie Surface rated it it was ok
Eh.
It was an okay book, just about the body, and what they/we do with said part.
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Good Thing You're Not an Octopus!
  • Can You Growl Like a Bear?
  • Hello, Day!
  • Big Fat Hen
  • All Fall Down
  • The Red Lemon
  • The Busy Little Squirrel
Bill Martin, Jr. (1916-2004) was an elementary-school principal, teacher, writer, and poet. His more than 300 books, among them the bestselling classics Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See; Polar Bear Polar Bear What Do You Hear; Panda Bear Panda Bear What Do You See; and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, are a testament to his ability to speak directly to children. Martin held a doctoral degree in early ...more
More about Bill Martin Jr....