Once When I Was Scared

Once When I Was Scared

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Grandfather tells how, when he was a child, he coped with fear during a journey alone through a dark wood to get hot coals to heat the family cabin.
Published October 1st 1993 by Puffin Books (first published September 29th 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Once When I Was Scared, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once When I Was Scared

Yvonne
In the book "Once when I was Scared" by Helen Clare Pittman, a Grandfather tells a story to his Grandson about an adventure he had when he was a boy. Although the end papers are white, the first page is a navy blue hinting at the nighttime story that is told in the book. The cover page is written in an ordinary Times New Roman font with an illustration in the bottom right hand corner drawing the viewer to focus on the boy int he corner.An interesting detail of the book is the dedication and copy...more
Xiaoxiao Zhu
I have been moved by this story which escaped from reality because I always believe that animals actually have emotion as human. When the boy was scared with the huge bear , he got help from a eagle . It not only made grandfather never be afraid any more but also made his grandchildren brave each time they see the feathers of the eagle.

This story recalls me of msny stories about animals rescue human from danger. For example, I have heard a real story that a dolphin rescue a man from the danger o...more
Haley Shade
Just from seeing the cover of this book, I instantly got interested in it because of the dark feeling it gave off knowing that it was going to be somewhat of a scary book. But after reading the book, that isn't what I loved most about it. I loved the book is about Daniel overcoming his fears. I think after a child reads this book and understands it, they will be encouraged to overcome their fears just like Daniel had overcome his.

I know as a child growing up, I had a lot of fears..from big ones...more
Tiffany
This book reminded me of books that my grandparents had read to me when I was younger. The story had a "message" at the end. The illustrations looked dated, but done well.

The illustrations were mostly full bleed. I liked that because I could study a lot of the details and different aspects of the illustrations. I was able to feel like I was part of the story with those kinds of illustrations.

I think kids would really like this story. They might debate about whether or not this story did actuall...more
Bekkah
The imagery in this book is incredible. Paired with the illustrations, I would use this text to talk about adding details and figurative language to make the students' writing really come alive. The character in this story talks as if he literally changes into different animals to get a chore done and it works beautifully.
Bhunter2012
This book describes the perfect fantasy. A little boy is listening to a story told by his grandfather of when he was scared and to overcome his fears he turns into fierce animals. Then once the story is over and his grandfather makes it home safely the boy is questioning whether the this really happened.
Logan Young
1st or 2nd grade. A young boy listens to a storytold by his grandfather about a time when he was scared. The boy recieves feathers from his grandfather to help him when he became scared.
Cayla Lile
Great story and message with wonderfully detailed illustrations!
Elia
Elia added it
Jun 23, 2014
Ahmedaasem
Ahmedaasem marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
MaryJo
MaryJo marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Beth Brown
Beth Brown marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Perez Malone
Perez Malone marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2013
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2013
Bridgett
Bridgett marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2013
Katie Kerns
Katie Kerns marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2012
Helena Clare Pittman has been an artist since childhood. She majored in art in Junior High and High School, and began painting seriously at the age of fourteen.

She majored in Painting at Pratt Institute, in Brooklyn, New York, and was awarded her Bachelors of Fine Art degree there. She took her Masters of Arts at Antioch, in Painting, Writing and Education.

Helena has taught Color, Illustration and...more
More about Helena Clare Pittman...
A Grain of Rice The Angel Tree The Snowman's Path The Gift of the Willows Still Life Stew