Start by marking “Freeing Your Child from Anxiety” as Want to Read:
Freeing Your Child from Anxiety

Freeing Your Child from Anxiety

Anxiety is the number one mental health problem facing young people today.

Childhood should be a happy and carefree time, yet more and more children today are exhibiting symptoms of anxiety, from bedwetting and clinginess to frequent stomach aches, nightmares, and even refusing to go to school. Parents everywhere want to know: All children have fears, but how much is norma
Published March 30th 2004 by Harmony

To ask other readers questions about Freeing Your Child from Anxiety, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freeing Your Child from Anxiety

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Hard for me to judge this book completely because it didn't really suit our needs.

My almost 7 year old daughter has issues with very specific anxious thoughts. She is in particular worried about poison or poisonous things, like she worries about someone touching a poisonous mushroom. She is an anxious kid in general about things that she is unsure about, but socially she is very happy and well-adjusted.

I've talked to my daughter's pediatrician and teacher about these issues, and my daughter's
Leah
Apr 16, 2014 Leah rated it it was amazing
I don't give five stars lightly (lol because my reviews MATTER) but this book is seriously amazing. I would recommend it to any parent who is concerned about their child's anxiety.

The author, a licensed psychologist and the founder of the Children's and Adults' Center for OCD and Anxiety, gives real, practical tools that parents can use to determine whether their child's anxiety is normal or problematic, and then provides tools parents can use to help their child overcome that anxiety. And hones
Lisa Nelson
Jul 01, 2008 Lisa Nelson rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Parents with kid's struggling with anxiety
Recommended to Lisa by: Heather, Thanks!
This book was extremely helpful in tackling some of my daughter Julia's anxiety. They gave some great practical tips like having a worry time set aside, helping Julia to find her own solutions to her worry, giving the worry a name like the worry bug, differentiating between what she thinks will happen and what she feels will happen, and bullying the worry but telling it things like, "I'm safe, I know my Mom will pick me up, stop telling me she isn't coming." Another helpful one was also A ...more
Nicole
Mar 25, 2012 Nicole rated it liked it
To be completely honest I just skimmed this book - looking for what would fit for us. My daughter struggles a bit with anxiety and from this book I did find some helpful hints. However, most of this book deals with situations that are much more extreme that what I was looking for advice on.
Sonia
Oct 20, 2016 Sonia rated it really liked it
I read this book when my daughter was 4 and then again now that she's 9. There is definitely a lot of very practical advice. You just have to pick and choose what works for you, your child, and your particular situation. Some tactics work better that others. Some are better at different ages. I think it is a helpful resource in developing your own child's best treatment plan. Helping your child work through their anxiety issues is hard. There were definitely times I wanted to chuck the book out ...more
Denise DiFalco
Mar 26, 2016 Denise DiFalco rated it it was ok
Tamar E. Chansky's book, Freeing Your Child from Anxiety Revised & Updated Edition loudly proclaims the mind over matter approach. Although there are many rewarding benefits to teaching your children to be positive and to have courage in the wake of panic disorder; I know that it is just not that simple or realistic. I beg to differ from the writer on a number of stances. As a recovering agoraphobic I am still on a very small amount of anti-anxiety medication to keep the attacks at bay. Ms. ...more
Ryan Dejonghe
Jul 28, 2014 Ryan Dejonghe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book isn’t just for my kids: it’s for me. Before the second page, I knew this book would help me with my own struggles. Avoiding social situations? Yup. Nervous at big events? Yes. Sure, this book is meant for parents to help their children, but the advice in this book is so real and practical that everyone benefits.

The package presented here comes in nicely organized phases: first the reassurance that you can do this, then the signs of what to look for, then the different specific anxietie
Andrecrabtree
Jan 25, 2014 Andrecrabtree rated it liked it
3 starts not because the book is bad, but because the book is not particularly relevant to me. Which is a good thing.

My oldest daughter has started to be anxious about this. My wife thought it was a bigger problem, so I bought this book to learn what to do. What I learned was the my child is on the higher strung side of the anxiety equation (like dear old dad), she does not have GAD, SAD, OCD or any of the other disorders in the book. What she does seem to have trouble with is depression (again
Christen
Dec 17, 2011 Christen rated it it was amazing
This book has helped our family so much. The cognative behavior therapy outlined in this book was easy enough-- my 4 1/2 year old learned to conquer her "worry brain." She now bosses back her worries, saying "wowwy bwain, you're not the boss of me! My smart bwain can thwoah you off a cliff!!" She also does deep breathing exercises all by herself with her little stuffed animals (or tummy breathing). You can actually see the color (red) draining from her face as she calms herself down. A year ago, ...more
Oct 17, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I frequently recommend this book to parents of children with anxiety issues and those who work with them. The author (a psychologist who specializes in working with youth diagnosed with anxiety disorders) does a great job of making the content easy to understand and offers plenty of examples. She includes many conceptualizations and treatment tactics often used by therapists and psychologists who work with this population.

The author starts by offering an explanation of anxiety, worries, and fea
cory
Mar 22, 2008 cory rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: observers of observers
sliced by age group and by different levels of behaviors, and with many practical tips along the way, this author provides some tools for expanding kids' options beyond the limiting patterns of anxiety/shyness/ocd/worry they might develop. there's a handy scale to evaluate how difficult a situation would be (people involved, location, activity involved, etc) that can be used to build an approach to introduce kids to new experiences without overwhelming them.

this book looked like it might be too
Jostalady
This book was recommended to me by the developmental psychologist who recently diagnosed my daughter with anxiety disorder. I had no idea what it was, and I was completely clueless about what my daughter had been experiencing or how to help her. I only knew her unusual outward behavior was keeping her from enjoying daily life, and stunting her education. This book has been a huge help and is a fantastic starting ground that lays a lot of foundational understanding I needed, in a quick and ...more
Ki Goff
Apr 13, 2011 Ki Goff rated it liked it
This is a solid and well written books that discusses the use of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and a treatment for childhood anxiety. It gives a complete explanation for adults, and then gives good examples about how to talk to your child about it. It also deals with some specific issues, and gives simple general instructions for how to deal with in the moment issues, and how to create a gentle but effective get-used-to-it plan.

The only trouble with it that I found was I, personally, have read WA
Kristylemmon
Feb 12, 2009 Kristylemmon rated it it was amazing
This is by far the best book I have read about anxiety in children. My daughter has had 2 bouts of OCD that scared the living daylights out of me. In general, she is a bit anxious, but she has moved past the debilitating symptoms for which I am extremely grateful. I wish I had this book back then. But I found it extremely helpful for learning to deal with my own anxiety. I have already started using some of her techniques (i.e. relabeling worry thoughts as coming from the *worry brain*) and my ...more
Chris Hovater
Feb 22, 2011 Chris Hovater rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful book that was suggested by therapist as being written more in layman's terms and specifically for parents. Was used in conjunction with therapy so that I could reinforce at home what was being discussed and taught during sessions. Written more for younger children, but also addresses adjustments for teens.

This book primarily deals with generalized anxiety disorder, but also delves into other anxiety disorders like OCD, phobias, social anxiety, and Tourette's. The author has written a boo
Jill
Mar 22, 2014 Jill rated it really liked it
Shelves: partially-read
I read the parts that pertained to what I was struggling as a parent, but will give a better review once I see if the strategies work. Sometimes it just seems too simple! I felt better about some things after reading and it did outline a lot of scenarios and strategies to use. I guess maybe I'm relieved that the process may be easier than thought. The mind is an interesting and complicated beast. Definitely worth a read if your child struggles with any sort of fear, separation anxiety etc.
Kristi
Jun 10, 2013 Kristi rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book. It really closely aligns with my therapy style for anxious kids (CBT and EX/RP). I think giving this book to parents would help them be able to engage more in working with their kids at home and explain the rationale for why we do what we do. I also think this might be enough to help solve some mild anxiety in kids if their parents read it and use the strategies. I really thought he did a good job with this book.
Anna
Jul 17, 2016 Anna rated it it was amazing
Wow! I'm a mental health therapist and work a lot with children and families. I highly recommend this book to parents and helping professionals. It's very easy to read, normalizes different anxiety disorders and has very clever, easy to use, interventions! I highly recommend this book and am looking forward to reading more of Chansky's books!
Liz
Mar 20, 2016 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book on true anxiety issues with real world practical strategies to try. Some parts felt very very repetitive though. Found you can read first 1/3 then skip around/come back to. Geared more to general anxiety rather than going too in depth into every variation, but covers a few related disorders.
Katie
Dec 27, 2012 Katie marked it as to-read
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was pretty dry. I read about 85 pages and now have to return it to the library. Early in the book it talked about taking your child to therapy, which I thought was strange since I was trying to figure out things I could do on my own at home. I thought that was the whole point of reading the book.

I may check it out again...or I may not.
Tiffany
Mar 06, 2012 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
This book has been incredibly helpful in understanding the mechanisms of anxiety and giving me age appropriate tools for talking to my 4 year old about her anxieties and giving her back control of how she sees and interacts with her world. Highly recommend it to anyone whose child may be overly stressed or shy, anxious or dealing with phobias.
Heather Pulley
Oct 02, 2012 Heather Pulley rated it really liked it
This is a great book to read if your child is a worrier or very anxious. Each parent is going to get something different from it based on what their child's behavior is like. You can skip what doesn't apply to you and just focus on what you need. I found the methods helpful and straightforward and have already used some of them with my child.
Heather
Feb 25, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
I have to mark this as read. I never read these types of books from cover to cover. I always skim through and read what is helpful to me. I found some helpful ways of helping my little boy cope with some of his anxiety. Although we are not dealing with an extreme case it gave me an idea of what to watch for if it gets worse in the future.
Kelly Ashworth
Jan 20, 2016 Kelly Ashworth rated it it was amazing
This is a book you won't necessarily have to read cover to cover, you can hop around to the bits that most apply to you. But I found a lot of great tips and suggestions and as an adult who has dealt with anxiety all my life, I found new ways to look at my own situation. Highly recommend for any parent who is struggling to help a little one deal.
Nicole
Jan 04, 2013 Nicole rated it liked it
I'm always looking for ways to help my Ethan and his anxiety. This gave me some great ideas. Very well written with practical ways to communicate with your child through their worry. I was able to skip around to the chapters that pertained to him which makes the info not so overwhelming. Good stuff.
Sara
May 23, 2015 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very accessible handbook for parents who want the clinical information in layman's English. This book was a great orientation for me about how anxiety manifests in different children and especially those children with OCD or on the autism spectrum. It helped me break down the nuances so that I could figure out which issues with the most concerning for us and go after them.
Emily
Jan 07, 2014 Emily rated it liked it
I felt as if this book was easy to follow and was a good overview of different anxiety disorders I. Children. I did, however feel as if it was geared towards older children about school age level. I would have loved some tips for younger, more anxiety prone children And ways to work on decreasing anxiety at an early age.
Barbara
Jan 22, 2009 Barbara rated it it was amazing
This is a terrific book. Easy to read, insightful. I looked a several different books, but chose this one. I haven't finished it yet, but I have already tried some things with my daughter and it is working.
Stephanie
Jun 08, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Exactly what I was looking for in a book about childhood anxiety. Clearly explained the flags to look for and ways to help your child calm themselves. So glad to have purchased this one for reference.
Amy
Mar 01, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing
Recommended by our pediatrician, this book first and foremost gave me such insight into what's going on in my girl's head, and I've already started using some of the techniques, and am seeing results.
To right just to the shoulders 1 1 Nov 13, 2014 09:48PM
  • What to Do When You Worry Too Much: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Anxiety
  • 1001 Great Ideas for Teaching and Raising Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Lifesaver for Parents and Professionals Who Interact Children with Autism and Asperger's Syndrome
  • The Highly Sensitive Child: Helping Our Children Thrive When the World Overwhelms Them
  • Raising a Sensory Smart Child: The Definitive Handbook for Helping Your Child with SensoryIntegration Issues
  • From Diapers to Dating: A Parent's Guide to Raising Sexually Healthy Children
  • Sensational Kids: Hope and Help for Children with Sensory Processing Disorder
  • How am I Smart?: A Parent's Guide to Multiple Intelligences
  • When My Worries Get Too Big! A Relaxation Book For Children Who Live With Anxiety
  • The Wonder of Boys
  • Girls Will Be Girls: Raising Confident and Courageous Daughters
  • The Complete Adult Psychotherapy Treatment Planner
  • My Anxious Mind: A Teen's Guide To Managing Anxiety And Panic
  • The Bully, the Bullied, and the Bystander
  • Don't Let Your Emotions Run Your Life for Teens: Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills for Helping Teens Manage Mood Swings, Control Angry Outbursts, an
  • The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun: Activities for Kids with Sensory Processing Disorder
  • Raising Confident Boys: 100 Tips For Parents And Teachers
  • The Anger Diet: Thirty Days to Stress-Free Living
  • The Explosive Child: A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children