Start by marking “Saddam's Bombmaker: The Terrifiying Inside Story of the Iraqi Nuclear and Biological Weapons” as Want to Read:

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The Iraqi scientist who designed Baghdad's nuclear bomb tells how he did it in secret with the cynical help of U.S., French, German, and British suppliers and experts, and kept it hidden from U.N. inspectors after the Gulf War. Today, he says, Saddam Hussein is only months away from making a workable bomb and has every intention of using it.
Don't tell me about the law. T
Published June 24th 2001 by Scribner (first published November 14th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Saddam's Bombmaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saddam's Bombmaker

Nick
Good thing we got rid of him. This is an account by the guy in Iraq who was in charge of developing nuclear weapons. How the general public doesn't know this guy or this story exists is beyond me.
Sean
Dr. Hamza is an Iraqi who was educated at M.I.T. as a nuclear physicist, before ending up as an instructor at a small college. But it wasn't long before Saddam Hussein recruited him to return to Iraq and ultimately head up his program to build nuclear weapons.

This book reads like a spy thriller, but with the reader's constant awareness that it is a true story. Hamza describes life under Saddam's regime and the descriptions of Saddam's brutalities is chilling.

Equally chilling is the ease with whi
Steven
Higher-up in Saddam's Iraq describes Saddam's efforts to obtain weapons of mass destruction. Books like this were used to present the case for the Iraq War. Even when reading this book well before the plans for the invasion were announced, I found a lot of the perceived "threat" to be pretty minimal. At one point the author describes how much of the Iraq nuclear program was developed after a group of Iraqi scientists spent a couple of days at the science library at some elite school in the East ...more
Marcin
I've had this book for a few years and this was my second read of it.

This is an autobiographical account of a scientist who was working on Saddam's nuclear bomb project. It is an interesting inside look at how Saddam's reigime worked. Apparently there has been some doubt cast on the authenticity of the story - particularly whether the author was as involved as he says he was, but it still makes for a good read.
Leni
As the Wikipedia entry on Khidhir Hamza correctly points out:

"since the 2003 invasion of Iraq, most, if not all of his information on the Nuclear Weapons program have been widely discredited, and former UNSCOM inspectors insist that he was never part of the Nuclear Program at all."

This book is worse than rubbish. It is made-up rubbish.
Jim Johnson
This was very well written and (despite a slow biographical start) was extremely fascinating and gripping. I loved the technical aspects of Dr. Hamza's research and development and the political intrigue. Later, the story changed into something more akin to a spy thriller. I really enjoyed this book and the author's honesty.
Katie
I heard the author speak on NPR and had to read it. Such an interesting first hand view of Saddam Hussein. Reminds me of memoirs written by people who knew Hitler.
Jack
An excellent story of Saddam's weapons of mass destruction program. I have been to many of the locations and this book brought back many memories.
Elizabeth Greason
My friend's dad wrote this book--I've just started it but it's doubly interesting (and terrifying!) since I know him!
Elizabeth
Saddam Hussein WAS trying to build a nuclear weapon, and he was crazy.
Peter Delorenzo
Reads like a fiction thriller.
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Nikki Ciraulo
Nikki Ciraulo is currently reading it
May 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Saddam's Bombmaker: The Terrifying Inside Story of the Iraqi Nuclear and Biological Weapons Agenda Saddam's Bombmaker: The Inside Story of Iraqi Nuclear and Biological Weapons Agenda