Start by marking “Tambourines to Glory” as Want to Read:
Tambourines to Glory

Tambourines to Glory

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  11 reviews
For every bustling jazz joint that opened in Korean War–era Harlem, a new church seemed to spring up. Tambourines to Glory introduces you to an unlikely team behind a church whose rock was the curb at 126th and Lenox.

Essie Belle Johnson and Laura Reed live in adjoining tenement flats, adrift on public relief. Essie wants to somehow earn enough money to reunite with her dau
Published September 26th 2006 by Broadway Books (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Tambourines to Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tambourines to Glory

The Color Purple by Alice WalkerTheir Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale HurstonThe Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm XBeloved by Toni MorrisonInvisible Man by Ralph Ellison
Best African American Books
127th out of 551 books — 649 voters
The Collected Poems by Langston HughesThe Ways of White Folks by Langston HughesThe Negro Speaks of Rivers by Langston HughesNot Without Laughter by Langston HughesI Wonder as I Wander by Langston Hughes
Best of Langston Hughes
7th out of 23 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Liberata Maroon
This! I couldn't find this book or remember the name. For some reason, I thought it was a Walter Moseley book, but after poring through his books, I couldn't find it! Turns out the whole time it was Langston Hughes. It just goes to show how timeless his storytelling skill is. This was a hilarious story. Thoroughly enjoyed.
Rich Hancuff
The writing is wonderful and natural, but the ending is rushed. It's a great meditation on the fleecing of the flock and temptation.
Eric Vincent
Jun 18, 2008 Eric Vincent marked it as advisroy-07-08
Langston Hughes is a brilliant author and this novel turned play tells the story of two women who open a store in harlem. Considering the time period it was written in, it speaks alot about the African American Community in HArlem at the time. I was blessed with the priveldge to see the Harlem Repitory Theater preform this at City College and it was wonderful!
Tammy Eaton
This very short novel was first written as a play and that's the way it reads. I was visualizing it on stage from the moment the two leading ladies started talking. I'd love to see it performed someday! As always, Langston Hughes brings his characters to life and makes you feel for them and with them. I highly recommend it!
Babydoll
Langston Hughes proves from this book, that was intended to be a play, that he is such a talented writer. Set in Harlem, Hughes introduces the reader to the two main characters Essie and Laura. Although this is a rather quick read, Hughes provides the reader with an enjoyable novel/playwright.
To
This book gives a good insight into religion and old Harlem. A lot of the book still relates to today. I saw the play and it was great as well. Hard to believe the play came before the book.
Aziza
I read the play and thoroughly enjoyed it but they don't have the play listed. I do know that the novel and play are slightly different.
Msbossy
Loved it, of course. it's langston Hughes.

I learned that the more things change, the more people stay the same.
Jocelyn
Really enjoyed this! Well written, interesting, great character development.
Efundunke
Sometimes the spirit dies before the flesh.
Suz
I liked this book, but it was pretty strange.
Simone
Simone marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Pat
Pat added it
Mar 30, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Codi
Codi added it
Mar 28, 2015
Cheron
Cheron marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Agnes Williams
Agnes Williams marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Joe B.Ck.T
Joe B.Ck.T marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Aaron Chandler
Aaron Chandler marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Cb
Cb marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Elle
Elle added it
Jan 12, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Asha Rizor
Asha Rizor marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
  • The Rat On Fire
  • The Quest of the Silver Fleece: A Novel
  • Break Any Woman Down
  • Paris Noir: African-Americans in the City of Light
  • The Blacker the Berry...
  • Of One Blood: Or, the Hidden Self: The Givens Collection
  • Pigeon Project
  • Plum Bun: A Novel without a Moral
  • The Amen Corner
  • The One-Way Rain
Langston Hughes was an American poet, social activist, novelist, playwright, short story writer, and columnist. He was one of the earliest innovators of the then-new literary art form jazz poetry. Hughes is best known for his work during the Harlem Renaissance. He famously wrote about the period that "Harlem was in vogue."
More about Langston Hughes...
The Collected Poems Selected Poems The Ways of White Folks Not Without Laughter The Best of Simple