Start by marking “Tomorrow Now Tomorrow Now” as Want to Read:
Tomorrow Now Tomorrow Now

Tomorrow Now Tomorrow Now

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  292 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
"Nobody knows better than Bruce Sterling how thin the membrane between science fiction and real life has become, a state he correctly depicts as both thrilling and terrifying in this frisky, literate, clear-eyed sketch of the next half-century. Like all of the most interesting futurists, Sterling isn't just talking about machines and biochemistry: what he really cares abou ...more
Published December 10th 2008 by Random House Trade (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Tomorrow Now Tomorrow Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tomorrow Now Tomorrow Now

Bill Ahern
It started out really strong, and particularly prophetic considering that it has been in print for 7 years now, which is an era or two in technology terms. Towards the end, beginning with the chapters about the middle east, I felt that it got off track; the three (real life) characters were definitely interesting, but I had no idea what they had to do with technology or even the contemporary culture of information (the events took place in the early 90's).

I did enjoy the book, but at a little ov
Chris Ziesler
Nov 05, 2014 Chris Ziesler rated it it was amazing
Days of Future Past

Reading a book about the future that was written a decade ago is an interesting exercise in time travel. It turns out that many of the trends that Sterling perceived in the early 2000s are alive and growing ten years on.

Bruce Sterling has a well-deserved reputation as a futurist whose imaginative grasp is more eclectic and far-reaching than most. In Tomorrow Now Sterling sets out to delineate the outline of how the world might look in the next 50 years.

What sets Tomorrow Now a
Michael Burnam-fink
This is the Real Deal. Pure uncut Bruce Sterling without any of those messy complications of plot or character or setting. The Chairman just sits down and tells you what he thinks The Future is going to look like. If you don't have the right constitution for it, you might OD and throw the book across the room with a cry of "What pretentious shit!" But if your mind is open and flexible (and you've already drunk the kool-aid), this book will rock your socks.

Sterling structures this book around the
Ryan
Jul 13, 2010 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
Tomorrow Now is an expansive look at the next fifty years by sci-fi novelist Bruce Sterling. The book's premise is intriguing, but the execution is hit-and-miss.

Sterling's writing style is reminiscent of Tom Friedman (Lexus and the Olive Tree, The World is Flat, etc.), which drove me mildly insane as I read the book. Both authors heavily rely on gimmicky initial caps to drive home Important Concepts, as if trademarking new terms mid-sentence. Far worse, these Important Concepts were mixed into s
Todd
Apr 15, 2016 Todd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reasonably thought provoking, and prescient in a number of ways (this book is what, something like 14 years old now, so we're a good chunk of the way along that 50 year timeline), but very uneven and ultimately quite thin in places. The good parts are great, but there are a lot of areas that aren't really up to snuff.
Igor Kolesnyk
Aug 08, 2015 Igor Kolesnyk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Цікава книга для тих, хто любить футурологію, фантастику та Стерлінга як письменника. І для тих, хто хоче порівняти прогноз із сучасною ситуацією.
Natalie
What an interesting and informative book! It was not at all what I expected it to be, but I enjoyed it none the less. Bruce Sterling takes a break from science fiction to write a non-fiction book about the future. From genetics to blobjects to the New World Disorder to the infocalypse to the Sixth Mass Extinction, Sterling touches on so many different aspects of what the future will be like. It deserves the awards that it has won.
Moses
Feb 03, 2015 Moses rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
I guess sci-fi isn't for me. Could not understand what Bruce was trying to say.
Brendan  McAuliffe
It's almost like the future is writing itself to Sterling's specifications sometimes. He also specifically mentioned ' ... HIV in the blood supply ' as an indicator of ' a radical level of postindustrial instability ' ( Which is how , in the end , I look at it too now )
Derek
Jan 23, 2012 Derek rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There seemed to be more history than any predictions of the future. Other than a brief but interesting view of biotechnology, I didn't find anything that brought forth ideas that might appear in the next 50 years.
Joe
Mar 31, 2012 Joe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Futurist writing just isn't my thing. I've never read this guy's fiction, but the writing style here was really frustrating. Many convoluted sentences that used a ton of words to say nothing. Not for me.
Dave Peticolas
Sterling is the best sort of futurist. Neither wide-eyed with wonder, nor sounding the drumbeat of doom, he just seems to geniunely want to figure out what is coming next. And he's funny, too.
Rory
Aug 03, 2013 Rory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mixed book. Not sure I "get" or agree with most of it. But it's a view, and a worthy one, to hold in one's head with the others, as one figures out where we are and where we're going.
SL
Dec 07, 2011 SL rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whoa! This was great, despite me being a bit behind the curve reading it in 2011...Bruce is a visionary, a true futurist. This is nonfiction - not SF but actual futurism.
Annie
May 31, 2009 Annie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bruce Sterling is a fascinating futurist with interesting dazzling speculations about our world that gave pause
A
Sep 20, 2013 A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essays, e-book
Tomorrow is definitely now. This book was written 10 years ago and is still prescient.
Matt
Jun 22, 2007 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book to read before writing science fiction, even though it's out of date
Connor
Jul 17, 2010 Connor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
This is an excellent non-fiction book. I feel all futuristic and awesome now.
Gerald Lucas
Mar 22, 2008 Gerald Lucas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: futurism
Some great stuff here, especially his introduction and chapter on germtech.
Bria
May 18, 2016 Bria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is a lot more about Bruce Sterling than I had hoped for.
Oliver Thylmann
It was good. But it wore off towards the end.
Oliver Thylmann
Should read this again in 50 years ;)
Greg
Accessible futurism
John Martinez
John Martinez rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Corey
Corey rated it it was amazing
Ethan Austin
Ethan Austin rated it it was ok
Emanuel
Emanuel marked it as to-read
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Zack
Zack rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2016
Robert Weld
Robert Weld marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
  • The Dreams Our Stuff is Made Of: How Science Fiction Conquered the World
  • J.G. Ballard (RE/Search #8/9)
  • The Pyrotechnic Insanitarium: American Culture on the Brink
  • The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction
  • Coercion: Why We Listen to What "They" Say
  • Confessions of a Raving, Unconfined Nut: Misadventures in Counter-Culture
  • Nomad Codes: Adventures in Modern Esoterica
  • The Mechanical Bride: Folklore of Industrial Man
  • Between Equal Rights: A Marxist Theory of International Law
  • Storyteller: Writing Lessons & More from 27 Years of the Clarion Writers' Workshop
  • In the Bubble: Designing in a Complex World
  • One Human Minute
  • Sleepless Nights in the Procrustean Bed (I.O. Evans Studies in the Philosophy & Criticism of Literature 5)
  • Manhood of Humanity
  • Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, and the Economic World
  • The Adding Machine: Selected Essays
  • Mediated: How the Media Shapes Our World and the Way We Live in It
  • Capitalism: As If the World Matters
Michael Bruce Sterling is an American science fiction author, best known for his novels and his seminal work on the Mirrorshades anthology, which helped define the cyberpunk genre.
More about Bruce Sterling...

“Getting what you want is a serious matter. It is far more transformative than frustration.” 0 likes
“Sustainability is never a static goal. It can only be a process.” 0 likes