Start by marking “Tomorrow Now Tomorrow Now” as Want to Read:
Tomorrow Now Tomorrow Now

Tomorrow Now Tomorrow Now

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  261 ratings  ·  20 reviews
"Nobody knows better than Bruce Sterling how thin the membrane between science fiction and real life has become, a state he correctly depicts as both thrilling and terrifying in this frisky, literate, clear-eyed sketch of the next half-century. Like all of the most interesting futurists, Sterling isn't just talking about machines and biochemistry: what he really cares abou ...more
Published December 10th 2008 by Random House Trade (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Tomorrow Now Tomorrow Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tomorrow Now Tomorrow Now

Bill Ahern
It started out really strong, and particularly prophetic considering that it has been in print for 7 years now, which is an era or two in technology terms. Towards the end, beginning with the chapters about the middle east, I felt that it got off track; the three (real life) characters were definitely interesting, but I had no idea what they had to do with technology or even the contemporary culture of information (the events took place in the early 90's).

I did enjoy the book, but at a little ov
Chris Ziesler
Days of Future Past

Reading a book about the future that was written a decade ago is an interesting exercise in time travel. It turns out that many of the trends that Sterling perceived in the early 2000s are alive and growing ten years on.

Bruce Sterling has a well-deserved reputation as a futurist whose imaginative grasp is more eclectic and far-reaching than most. In Tomorrow Now Sterling sets out to delineate the outline of how the world might look in the next 50 years.

What sets Tomorrow Now a
Michael Burnam-fink
This is the Real Deal. Pure uncut Bruce Sterling without any of those messy complications of plot or character or setting. The Chairman just sits down and tells you what he thinks The Future is going to look like. If you don't have the right constitution for it, you might OD and throw the book across the room with a cry of "What pretentious shit!" But if your mind is open and flexible (and you've already drunk the kool-aid), this book will rock your socks.

Sterling structures this book around the
Ryan
Tomorrow Now is an expansive look at the next fifty years by sci-fi novelist Bruce Sterling. The book's premise is intriguing, but the execution is hit-and-miss.

Sterling's writing style is reminiscent of Tom Friedman (Lexus and the Olive Tree, The World is Flat, etc.), which drove me mildly insane as I read the book. Both authors heavily rely on gimmicky initial caps to drive home Important Concepts, as if trademarking new terms mid-sentence. Far worse, these Important Concepts were mixed into s
Natalie
What an interesting and informative book! It was not at all what I expected it to be, but I enjoyed it none the less. Bruce Sterling takes a break from science fiction to write a non-fiction book about the future. From genetics to blobjects to the New World Disorder to the infocalypse to the Sixth Mass Extinction, Sterling touches on so many different aspects of what the future will be like. It deserves the awards that it has won.
Moses
I guess sci-fi isn't for me. Could not understand what Bruce was trying to say.
BakuDreamer
It's almost like the future is writing itself to Sterling's specifications sometimes. He also specifically mentioned ' ... HIV in the blood supply ' as an indicator of ' a radical level of postindustrial instability ' ( Which is how , in the end , I look at it too now )
Derek
There seemed to be more history than any predictions of the future. Other than a brief but interesting view of biotechnology, I didn't find anything that brought forth ideas that might appear in the next 50 years.
Joe
Futurist writing just isn't my thing. I've never read this guy's fiction, but the writing style here was really frustrating. Many convoluted sentences that used a ton of words to say nothing. Not for me.
Dave Peticolas
Sterling is the best sort of futurist. Neither wide-eyed with wonder, nor sounding the drumbeat of doom, he just seems to geniunely want to figure out what is coming next. And he's funny, too.
Rory
A mixed book. Not sure I "get" or agree with most of it. But it's a view, and a worthy one, to hold in one's head with the others, as one figures out where we are and where we're going.
SL
Whoa! This was great, despite me being a bit behind the curve reading it in 2011...Bruce is a visionary, a true futurist. This is nonfiction - not SF but actual futurism.
Annie
Bruce Sterling is a fascinating futurist with interesting dazzling speculations about our world that gave pause
Alberta
Tomorrow is definitely now. This book was written 10 years ago and is still prescient.
Matt Carey
A good book to read before writing science fiction, even though it's out of date
Connor
This is an excellent non-fiction book. I feel all futuristic and awesome now.
Gerald Lucas
Some great stuff here, especially his introduction and chapter on germtech.
Oliver Thylmann
It was good. But it wore off towards the end.
Oliver Thylmann
Should read this again in 50 years ;)
Greg
Accessible futurism
Lacey
Lacey marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Vikarti
Vikarti is currently reading it
Apr 25, 2015
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
  • J.G. Ballard (RE/Search #8/9)
  • The Dreams Our Stuff is Made Of: How Science Fiction Conquered the World
  • The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction
  • The Pyrotechnic Insanitarium: American Culture on the Brink
  • Coercion: Why We Listen to What "They" Say
  • The Mechanical Bride: Folklore of Industrial Man
  • Confessions of a Raving, Unconfined Nut: Misadventures in Counter-Culture
  • One Human Minute
  • Storyteller: Writing Lessons & More from 27 Years of the Clarion Writers' Workshop
  • TechGnosis: Myth, Magic & Mysticism in the Age of Information
  • Between Equal Rights: A Marxist Theory of International Law
  • Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, and the Economic World
  • In the Bubble: Designing in a Complex World
  • The Adding Machine: Selected Essays
  • Mediated: How the Media Shapes Our World and the Way We Live in It
  • New Maps Of Hell: A Survey Of Science Fiction
  • A Scattering of Jades
  • The Edifice Complex: How the Rich and Powerful--and Their Architects--Shape the World
Michael Bruce Sterling is an American science fiction author, best known for his novels and his seminal work on the Mirrorshades anthology, which helped define the cyberpunk genre.
More about Bruce Sterling...
Mirrorshades: The Cyberpunk Anthology Islands in the Net Schismatrix Plus Heavy Weather The Hacker Crackdown: Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier