What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About(TM) Children's Vaccinations

What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About(TM) Children's Vaccinations

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  358 ratings  ·  65 reviews
This is an essential guide for parents about vaccinations. Dr. Stephanie Cave explains their pros and cons and the book provides information to help parents make a knowledgeable, responsible choice about vaccinating their children.
Published March 16th 2010 by Grand Central Life & Style (first published September 1st 2001)

Be the first to ask a question about What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About(TM) Children's Vaccinations

Jessica
Jan 02, 2008 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: moms that are pro-vaccinations
I learned the important facts that if I am not a crack whore and I have actually seen a doctor throughout a pregnancy then I do not need to have my newborn vaccinated for Hepatitis B or A. If he or she wants to be shady in college then the vaccination will not cover the college years anyways, and s/he will have to be re-vaccinated anyways to cover Hep transmitted from casual sex or yucky dorm dining halls.

If you are going to be a conscientious, healthy parent that sees a doc, takes your kid to...more
Amber G.
There are very few books on vaccinations that give a good view on both sides of the issue. This is one of them. It tells you how to safely vaccinate and the risks associated with it. I'd recommend this one to anyone, regardless of how they feel about vaccinating.
Shelly
Good book for basic information, but should not be your only source of research. Comined with The Vaccine Book and other resources, it will help you make a well-rounded and educated decision.
Robyn
Dec 23, 2007 Robyn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents, doctors, nurses, childcare professionals
A very good book, free from the hysteria and fear-mongering that often plagues books about vaccinations.
Children in the United States are the most-vaccinated children in the world. We also lead the way in cases of childhood chronic diseases, and more children are suffering from allergies and other auto-immune diseases. Many people believe that vaccines are the cause.
This book gives even-handed information about the vaccines on the 1999 CDC immunization schedule. That's why I only gave it 4 star...more
Magdalena Saito
Very well informed! I loved that she is pro vaccination, but provides ample information that can make choosing the right vaccines as well as their timing safer. I love that she does not recommend ALL vaccines but does go through the information regarding the illnesses, vaccines, symptoms, etc. I found it wonderful that a pediatrician is making a point to advocate for better safety and more research before forcing anyone to take a vaccine.
would definitely recommend to both pro and anti vacciners...more
Chelsea
I give this three stars because it is outdated, also it didn't go as in depth regarding your definitive rights as a parent to choose not to vaccinate. In many states religious reasons, or medical reasons are the only 2 exemptions, but still insists you can exercise your rights not to do so. I'll have to read more, but it did give me a good place to start. Frankly, the tone of the book sort of frightened me. I just felt overwhelmed by the information. Choosing between submitting my child to somet...more
Jaimee
As if there wasn’t already enough to think about during pregnancy, preparing for labor, and dealing with a newborn, along comes vaccinations much sooner than you might like and expect. So, here’s a book to read to familiarize yourself with the vaccinations and get suggestions about when (or not) to give them to your child instead of simply following the CDC’s prescribed schedule. Other books that have been recommended, but that I have not read are: Vaccines: A Thoughtful Parent’s Guide: How to M...more
Cayenne
The first half was scary and depressing. Fortunately most vaccines now are free from mercury (this book was published in 2001), but there's other disturbing ingredients in them still. I did appreciate the author's general approach of educating parents, but there was definitely a level of alarmism that turned me off. There were practical suggestions that I plan to implement such as spreading out the MMR vaccine if I can and making sure my kids are healthy when they get their shots. She also sugge...more
Kristin
Hm, the is probably the most balanced book I've read on the subject of vaccines - not that it was balanced. I think it is the most closely aligned with my views. Parents should be informed when entering the doctor's office, they need to ask questions, we need to remove the known toxic chemicals from vaccines to make safer alternative, and, we need to do studies to actually have accurate numbers of the effectiveness/safety of vaccines (eg people with autoimmune diseases in family history; are we...more
Chelsie
This is the first book I have read on children's vaccines and I found it full of useful and helpful information. It is a bit outdated and I wish they would release a more updated version, but other than that I got a lot out of this book! I found it answered so many of the question I had concerning vaccinations and I found the guideline and recommendations at the back very helpful. I found the chart that compared Autism and Mercury poison symptoms absolutely fascinating! I am curious to see how t...more
Ashley
A must read for all parents whether they are for or against vaccinations in order to make an informed choice.
Paul
Apr 21, 2007 Paul rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is thinking about having kids, has little kids, or will receive a vacination soon.
This is a balanced book offering a careful evaluation of the current use of children's vaccines. Vaccines do serve a good use, but are they as miraculous as they claim to be? Are there adverse side effects which parents should be aware of? Do our vaccines contain mercury (a potent neurotoxin)? And most starteling, is there significant link between some vaccines and certain autoimmune disorders (such as Autism)? This is an excellent read designed as an introduction to the adverse side of vaccines...more
Amanda
I gave this book only 3 stars simply because I wanted it to help me decide about the multitude of recommended vaccines and it only made it more difficult. There are too many for babies! While it did help me to learn about the diseases they are meant to prevent, I was still no closer to having decisions made. In some ways, the info is contradictory. How can I still vaccinate after knowing the risks and ingredients in these things? Yikes. So, instead, like many other parenting decisions, I am list...more
Shilo
Feb 26, 2008 Shilo rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any one and everyone.
Recommended to Shilo by: Dr. Amy Davis M.D. - Autism Clinic
This book is full of good information; although a little outdated. Vaccines are very controversial. It's too bad that the two sides are so conflicting. It would be much easier if everyone was forced to be honest. If there are such serious risks and possible side effects involved with vaccines, I believe we have the right to know and make our decisions based on accurate information. It is up to us if the risks are worth taking with our children as we will be the ones living with the consequences.
Kathleen Tallent
This book a fantastic resource for all parents. I think it is very important for people to be informed about what they allow to go into their bodies and the bodies of their children. Doctors typically want what is best for us and our children, however it is not within their job description to give ALL the facts. This is not a book that supports NO vaccines, so don't be weary. Dr. Cave just enlightens the public to all the details and how to make the best choice/schedule for your child.
Mar 04, 2008 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents
I definitely recommend this book for any parent. I think it's important to not just accept what you're told (ie that vaccinations are completely safe and you must get them all done) and to research it. I thought this book was a good overall, easy to read review of each vaccine's pros and cons. It's a little outdated but everything in there is still valid. I'm glad I read it, it really helped me make some decisions on which vaccinations I want to do and which I don't think I should.
Kate
The author is pro-vaccine, but she raises so many issues and concerns about them, sometimes it’s hard to understand her conclusions and recommendations. For some of the vaccines, it seems as if the only reason she’s recommending them is to comply with state/school requirements. Even though she acknowledges the fact that it’s perfectly possible (and legal) to bypass those. I don’t get it.

Anyway, good book, lots of important information, warnings and cautions. Nice format too.
Christine
It is outdated information as it is 7 years old, but it gives a person a lot to think about. If I were pregnant or a parent, I would want to at least have considered options. Sometimes people proceed with recommendations from doctors without contemplating options or realizing there might be options to consider.
food for thought regardless of your position on vaccinations (which obviously have very strong pros, but some could have strong cons as well)
Meredith
i think that you have to put this book and the dr. sears vaccine book together to get a truly comprehensive approach to vaccination. while dr. sears gives great detailed information about what is in each vaccine, he dismisses some of the issues of vaccination (SIDS, allergies, etc.) that mainstream doctors are prone to dismiss. dr. cave addresses these issues and accordingly offers a different approach to delayed and selective vaccination.
Mary Johnson
The updated version of this book was completed in 2010. It offers information regarding scientific studies around each vaccine....there is actually a chapter about each vaccine, the illness it is supposed to "prevent", and possible side effects based on her knowledge as a pediatrician and published scientific studies. I thought it was overall a pretty good objective view...but should not be your only source of info:)
Jessica Bratko
This book was an excellent insight into the world of vaccines. It gave lots of information on each vaccine, the diseases, how the vaccines came about, and the symptoms of reactions that can occur. It also gave information on the laws regarding vaccines, exemptions you can get, and how you can report reactions and get compensations for vaccine-related injuries. It's definitely a topic that needs more research.
Anastasia
Dec 23, 2007 Anastasia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents and parents-to-be
There was so much important information in this book. The author does not advocate for not vaccinating your children-- she simply discusses the issues present in modern-day vaccinations and why we should think long and hard about who should be vaccinated and why. I think she presents compelling arguments about the need for more disclosure and more research on the part of pharmaceutical companies.
Jackie
An informative and interesting book with insight that all parents should fill their head with.
It is important for parents, not Dr.'s, to be in charge of their children's healthcare.
I love that it provides a new, slower paced shot schedule for children. Immunize by 2 isn't always the best and safest way to go with all children. You decide what is best for your children.
Jessica Velez
If you're just beginning to do your research on vaccines then this is a good book to start off with. The author provides the pros and cons to vaccinating with an unbiased viewpoint (which needless to say is hard to find nowadays!). It's definately a must for all parents as we all should educate ourselves on this very serious topic regardless of our decision.
Elizabeth
Certainly not the be all end all on vaccinations, but it has some helpful information. The best thing I took away from this book was not allowing our child to have more than two vaccines during each visit. I think its helpful to spread them out even if it meant going to get shots once a month (which we did for a while).
Alison
This is another great resource to learn more about vaccinations - including details on the common ones given, research on them and also precautions parents can take. This is a good reference for any parent to make their own informed decisions on vaccines. It is written by an "expert" on pediatric vaccinations.
Kailee
Very well written book detailing how vaccinations are made and what goes into them. It is slightly out-dated with the focus of the book being about the link between autism and thimerisol. Considering very few vaccines have thimerisol anymore, this book isn't my first choice in recommendations for books on vaccines.
Ansley
I think this book is great at giving a brief but concise description of every vaccine. It has helpful information on spacing out vaccines and the questions to ask your doctor about certain ones. The only downside is that it was written before the rotavirus vaccine and one other one that kids now get.
polly
Aug 22, 2007 polly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents
Good book on the risks/benefits of vaccinations....written by a physician who administers vaccines, it is a balanced view that states plainly that there ARE some major risks to vaccines (that sometimes outweigh the risks from the disease itself). Important subject matter for all parents.
Hollie
Informative if you're into the debate about vaccinations. It was a little outdated, I need a book that was written later, but I'm glad I read it. It didn't necessarily take sides about whether or not vaccinations should be given but just offered alternative times.
  • How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor
  • The Vaccine Book: Making the Right Decision for Your Child
  • Diaper Free: The Gentle Wisdom of Natural Infant Hygiene
  • Naturally Healthy Babies and Children: A Commonsense Guide to Herbal Remedies, Nutrition, and Health
  • Connection Parenting: Parenting Through Connection Instead of Coercion, Through Love Instead of Fear
  • Our Babies, Ourselves: How Biology and Culture Shape the Way We Parent
  • The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth
  • Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding
  • Born in the USA: How a Broken Maternity System Must Be Fixed to Put Women and Children First
  • Active Birth : The New Approach to Giving Birth Naturally
  • The Complete Book of Pregnancy & Childbirth
  • Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies: The Groundbreaking Program for the 4-A Disorders
  • Adventures in Tandem Nursing: Breastfeeding During Pregnancy and Beyond
  • Attached at the Heart: 8 Proven Parenting Principles for Raising Connected and Compassionate Children
  • Positive Discipline for Preschoolers: For Their Early Years - Raising Children Who Are Responsible, Respectful, and Resourceful (Revised 2nd Ed)
  • Lunch Lessons: Changing the Way We Feed Our Children
  • The Birth Book: Everything You Need to Know to Have a Safe and Satisfying Birth
  • Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering: The Wisdom and Science of Gentle Choices in Pregnancy, Birth, and Parenting
What Your Doctor May Not Tell You about Children's Vaccinations What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About(TM) Children's Vaccinations