Start by marking “The Rollercoaster Years” as Want to Read:
The Rollercoaster Years

The Rollercoaster Years

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  9 reviews
For the 20 million parents of 10- to 15-year-olds, The Roller-Coaster Years is a lively guide to mastering the ups and downs of early adolescence. Every parent knows about the terrible twos and the brooding teens, but few have anticipated the wild ride of these magical yet maddening years that can provide all the thrills and chills of a carnival ride.

Now, drawing together...more
Published July 1st 2009 by Harmony (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Rollercoaster Years, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rollercoaster Years

Sandee
I guess, if anything, this book reminded me to be empathetic and helped me see that I wasn't totally screwing up navigating the teen years with my daughter. There was some helpful advice, some scary statistics, and some hope for the future!! I usually do not relate to parenting books but this one was ok.
Kim
Nice overview of 10-15 yr olds/"Middlers": Kids this age develop sophisticated reasoning & sense of humor, still need and seek approval of adults, believe they can make a difference, develop personal values, sympathetic and (with guidance) will meet needs of others. I found the parenting advice to be extremely basic, though.
Kathy
The counselor at school suggested that we read and discuss this book with any parents interested in being involved with this book-club activity. This book is about understanding how best to live with/teach with middle-school students. It was accurate and informative.
Susan
Great book for parents of "middlers" (kids aged 10-14). It gave me a good insight on what kids that age are going through mentally and physically. Hopefully, it helps me understand and love my middlers even more.
LaDawn
I read this book when my oldest daughter was around 12. It did help explain a bit of what she was going through. And I remember my own "roller coaster years" all too well!
Anne
Glad I read it, but really wish it was updated for modern times esp. vis a vis media/tech. It has helped me think through and anticipate life with my "middler."
Maria
One of the few books that talks specifically about the period before tweens/teens, i.e. 10 years old.
First good one I have seen on the in between years. Child manual.
Anne
Enjoyable trip down memory lane by a witty author
Sandipleeter
Sandipleeter is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2014
Tonya
Tonya added it
Jun 25, 2014
Ksm
Ksm added it
Apr 30, 2014
Kim
Kim is currently reading it
Apr 23, 2014
Melissa
Melissa is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2014
Michelle Nolan
Michelle Nolan is currently reading it
Feb 02, 2014
Alpa
Alpa marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Brent
Brent marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2013
H
H added it
Jul 30, 2013
Noriko
Noriko marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Cliques: Eight Steps to Help Your Child Survive the Social Jungle Parenting in a Social Media World What Are You Doing in There?: Balancing Your Need to Know With Your Adolsecent's Need to Grow Parenting 911 Boy Crazy!: Keeping our Daughter's Feet on the Ground When Her Head is in the Clouds