Start by marking “How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs: A Step-by-Step Guide to Teach Yourself” as Want to Read:
How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs: A Step-by-Step Guide to Teach Yourself

How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs: A Step-by-Step Guide to Teach Yourself

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  381 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Hieroglyphs are pictures used as signs in writing. When standing before an ancient tablet in a museum or visiting an Egyptian monument, we marvel at this unique writing and puzzle over its meaning. Now, with the help of Egyptologists Mark Collier and Bill Manley, museum-goers, tourists, and armchair travelers alike can gain a basic knowledge of the language and culture of ...more
Published July 20th 2003 by University of California Press (first published March 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs

Jan 21, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I studied from this book in preparation for a trip to Egypt and was amazed at my progress. While in Egypt (and at museums elsewhere since) I was able to read and understand writing on sarcophagi, tomb walls, etc. Learning with this book requires a bit of dedication and a willingness to practice but the effort sure pays off – I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to read ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs for him- or herself.
Gareth Hughes
Jan 21, 2012 Gareth Hughes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grammar, egyptian
This is a very clever little book. I read it, went to the British Museum's Egyptology Collection and could read the hieroglyphs fairly well. The authors are from the BM, but present the Egyptian in modern way for the beginner. The chapters are well-paced, and you can work your way through them by yourself. Egyptian isn't the easiest language to learn, but this book certainly helps.
Sam
Apr 09, 2009 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: egypt, language
Easy to follow with useful practical exercises, the layout of the book introduces hieroglyphs step by step building the reader's knowledge up progressively. Also a very handy reference guide once you have the basic skills to work through translations outside those provided by the authors.
Jordan
Oct 26, 2012 Jordan rated it really liked it
The comprehensive coverage of formulaic inscriptions in this book makes it an excellent starting point for anyone attempting to translate Egyptian texts, where the most accessible specimens are kept in museums and are predominantly funerary in nature. Some basic grammar is covered, and the reference lists and dictionary at the back are immensely useful when you need quick refreshers on grammatical constructions, or need to look up a word or phrase in a hurry.

I suggest reading this before or toge
Mateen Ar
I enjoyed studying this book; not because the book in itself was good, but rather because I really did enjoy the content and what I learned about it. The book is structured in a way in which one cannot help but to enjoy learning, but the parts relating to teaching grammar are incredibly weak and lax of information. There is no proper explanation of unique grammatical information and so without a teacher, one cannot learn as much as he could otherwise. There are also several things missing from t ...more
David
Feb 27, 2014 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually could not finish this book, but it is not the fault of the authors. What they have attempted here is both remarkable and praiseworthy. The half of the book (little more than half, but it's not important) I did read was well presented and interesting. This is only applicable to me personally, but I think I would have been more successful using this as a textbook for a class about hieroglyphs.

Learning this information on a library loan with a deadline is not conducive to actually getti
Lucy
A good introduction to the joy of 'glyphs with lots of real examples to translate and a focus on some of the more common formulaic inscriptions (to equip you for the museums of the world to show off your swanky knowledge of dead languages).
Itsbecka
If you want to be able to read the stuff you see in museums, this will give you a basic understanding of how the inscriptions are set up and what are the basic elements to look for.
Manny
Apr 06, 2009 Manny rated it liked it
I must confess that I still haven't learned how to do this. But I don't think I can blame the book, which I bought on impulse a few years ago in the British Museum shop.
Ruth
May 28, 2008 Ruth rated it it was ok
Didn't think much of this one. Tried to be too simple and too full of grammar and tenses at the same time. I gave up and went back to Gardiner.
Sergio ruocchio
Jan 01, 2015 Sergio ruocchio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
effettivamente le promesse di questo manuale vengono mantenute . il testo garantisce una prima comprensione del geroglifico egizio.
Michael Snuffin
Aug 06, 2013 Michael Snuffin rated it it was ok
Shelves: egyptology
This book looked promising. I wanted to learn to read hieroglyphs, and the authors, both prominent Egyptologists, have taught this material for many years. Sounds like a good match, right? It didn’t play out that way.

I had problems right off the bat with the first section of chapter one. The text presents the Egyptian alphabet, a list of one-consonant signs, but does not identify what any of the signs actually represent. I really felt that I needed to know what the signs meant as ideograms in or
Teango
Jan 20, 2016 Teango marked it as to-read
Shelves: ancient-egyptian
This book uses a slightly different transliteration system than Assimil's "L'Égyptien Hiéroglyphique", and contains less material overall. However, it's a clear and very well-written primer in Middle Egyptian, and even incorporates pictures of real stellae in its working examples. These guys at the British Museum really know their stuff, so you're in safe hands here!
James F
Feb 04, 2015 James F rated it liked it
A beginning textbook of the ancient Egyptian language as written in hieroglyphs, with examples taken from Middle Kingdom inscriptions. I basically just read through it to get some idea of the way the language worked.
Dr W.G
Sep 26, 2014 Dr W.G rated it really liked it
Amazing book clarifying a lot of the secrets of the Egyptian Hieroglyphs , and enable the reader to read and understand some texts but Hieroglyphs is a very difficult language.
Hal
Oct 21, 2012 Hal rated it it was amazing
The review system is a little bit difficult to use here.

This book is an excellent and concise resource for anyone interested in learning the logic and means by which written word was communicated. Although I only did the exercises in the beginning chapters, the structure was still attainable without requiring me to be a linguist.
Mandy
Feb 01, 2008 Mandy rated it it was amazing
The best guide to ancient Egyptian that I have come across. Uses actual Egyptian artifacts as examples!
Tori
Jan 24, 2013 Tori rated it it was amazing
This is a book that I will always be reading and studying. Very good practice and learning tool.
Brent
May 30, 2012 Brent marked it as to-read
Recommended to Brent by: Carlos Museum Bookshop
Shelves: history, egypt
Available at Carlos Museum Bookshop -
Ross Drew
Nov 23, 2012 Ross Drew rated it it was amazing
Great introductory book into the subject.
Jeffry
Jul 30, 2009 Jeffry rated it liked it
Still can't do it. I can get just enough out of some inscriptions to impress underclassmen at the OI. Ah well.
Jun 19, 2007 Sarah marked it as to-read
Cool!
Abrar Atea
Abrar Atea rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Pyton
Pyton marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Win Powell
Win Powell marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Colbert
Colbert marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Chestnut
Chestnut marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Ramy
Ramy marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
  • Middle Egyptian: An Introduction to the Language and Culture of Hieroglyphs
  • An Egyptian Hieroglyphic Dictionary, Vol. 1
  • The Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt
  • The Complete Royal Families of Ancient Egypt
  • Ancient Egypt: An Illustrated Reference to the Myths, Religions, Pyramids and Temples of the Land of the Pharaohs
  • The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt
  • Religion and Magic in Ancient Egypt
  • Chronicle of the Queens of Egypt: From Early Dynastic Times to the Death of Cleopatra
  • The Keys of Egypt: The Race to Crack the Hieroglyph Code
  • The Literature of Ancient Egypt: An Anthology of Stories, Instructions, Stelae, Autobiographies, and Poetry
  • A History of Ancient Egypt
  • Temples, Tombs & Hieroglyphs: A Popular History of Ancient Egypt
  • Ancient Egyptian Literature: Volume I: The Old and Middle Kingdoms
  • Ancient Lives: The Story of the Pharaohs' Tombmakers
  • The Murder of Tutankhamen
  • Egyptian Art
  • Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs: Official Companion Book to the Exhibition sponsored by National Geographic
  • The Egyptian Book of the Dead