Murder in the Air: A Dan Rhodes Mystery (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #17)

Murder in the Air: A Dan Rhodes Mystery (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #17)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  15 reviews
There’s a big stink in Blacklin County, and everyone seems to think Sheriff Dan Rhodes should do something about it. The smell is coming from the giant chicken farm owned by Lester Hamilton. Rhodes sees this as a matter for the state’s air-quality enforcement agency, not the county sheriff. That all changes, however, when Hamilton is found dead, floating in an old rock pit...more
Published August 3rd 2010 by Minotaur Books

Ladiibbug
Jan 06, 2011 Ladiibbug rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mystery Fans
Recommended to Ladiibbug by: Ft. Worth, TX Library Mystery Newsletter
#17 Dan Rhodes humorous mystery

When Lester Hamilton is found murdered, no one in Blacklin County, Texas is one bit sad. Hamilton's huge commercial chicken farm stinks up the air for miles around. The citizens have complained for years and sought to have it cleaned up - to no avail.

Normally I would never begin a series with #17, but this sounded like so much fun that I couldn't resist. Sheriff Dan Rhodes is a calm and composed guy, but the county commissioners, jail staff and citizens of the area...more
Ed
#17 in the Dan Rhodes series. Dan Rhodes is the sheriff of rural Blacklin County, TX. As he ambles through the current mystery (he believes in interviews rather than forensic detection) he is accompanied by an intriguing supporting cast: down-to-earth wife Ivy; the Abbott & Costello team of Hack and Lawton, his dispatcher and jailer; deputies competent Ruth Grady and prudish Buddy; and Community College math instructor, C.P. "Seepy" Benton.

Dan Rhodes series - There’s a big stink in Blacklin...more
Mark
The air quality in Blacklin County has taken a turn for the worse since Lester Hamilton industrialized his chicken farm, and the neighbors in nearby Clearwater are none too happy.

Their complaints seem to fall on deaf ears until someone takes matters into their own hands and Hamilton is found floating in Murdock’s rock pit, the victim of foul play. By the time the second body is found you are whole-heartedly involved in piecing the pieces of the puzzle together.

Crider throws out enough red-herri...more
Jodi
When Lester Hamilton, owner of the local chicken factory farm, is found dead in the pond, people assume is drowned while illegally noodling for catfish. That would have been the preferred end. Unfortunately, he was murdered and the list of suspects is practically endless as no one liked the man. This is the first Dan Rhodes book I have read. George Guidall reads and he could make an owners manual sound exciting. But while he made the story mildly amusing it wasn't a compelling story and neither...more
Mark McKenna
Dan Rhodes is a laconic Texas lawman out to solve the drowning murder of a factory-farming chicken rancher whose operation has polluted the air for miles around. Not surprisingly, there are a lot of suspects.

Rhodes is an interesting character choice. Since he is droll and lacking in affect, keeping the reader interested in him is a full-time job. For the most part, author Bill Crider is a pro who is up to the task. He surrounds Rhodes with a cast of colorful people and animals and keeps the plo...more
Susan
Lester Hamilton is the most hated man in Blacklin county, especially by neighbors of his factory chicken farm, who hate the stench and pollution his farm has brought. So when he's found floating in a rock pit where he'd been fishing, sheriff Dan Rhodes has trouble believing it's an accident. Among those who have protested the farm are local college professors, an orchard owner, and a mysterious figure dubbed Robin Hood who shoots arrows with notes attached into buildings. Add a few more wacky Te...more
Anne-marie
This is only the second book I've read in the series. I loved it. Could not imagine the chicken coop very well,but watched Food Inc, and realized why the neighbors hated the chicken factory in this story. I plan to read more of his books. The investigation was methodical and interesting and revealed layer by layer as Sheriff Rhodes found the information, like we were along for the ride. READ it.
Joyce
Lots to like here with a downhome, straight-shooting sheriff, quirky secondary characters, strong sense of place, and George Guidall reading. Somehow it failed to capture my imagination and enthusiasm. Laid back and affable hero, rather gentle story, series characters, humor, witty dialogue, and a good mystery. Should work for Craig Johnson fans too--although I prefer those.
Jayw
Jul 30, 2011 Jayw added it
Catfish noodling chicken farmer stinks up Blacklin County, comes up dead. Sheriff Dan Rhodes will figure it all out sooner or later.
Amy H
I love these mysteries. They're fun and short. I can't believe this was number 17 in the series.
Vera
Another easy going visit with Sheriff Rhodes. Good read if not as exciting as some big city mysteries.
Rachael Mcdonnell
New author for me - liked the story. I learned about noodling for catfish :)
Janet
Always fun to visit with Dan Rhodes and the cast of characters of Clearview.
Al
He's done better. Not too interesting.
Ginger Harman
book review soon
Gloria
Gloria marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Katharine Rittenburg
Katharine Rittenburg marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Elaine Mulligan
Elaine Mulligan marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Jane Chizmar
Jane Chizmar marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
John Rye
John Rye marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Alicia House
Alicia House marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Lawanda Mckenzie
Lawanda Mckenzie marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Murder of a Beauty Shop Queen: A Dan Rhodes Mystery (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #19) Murder Among the OWLS (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #14) Too Late to Die (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #1) The Wild Hog Murders: A Dan Rhodes Mystery (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #18) Murder in Four Parts: A Dan Rhodes Mystery (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #16)