Start by marking “Swell: A Girl's Guide to the Good Life” as Want to Read:
Swell: A Girl's Guide to the Good Life

Swell: A Girl's Guide to the Good Life

Written for girls who want to live the good life, Swell's definition of such a person is a bon vivant, but not a snob. The Swell is witty, wily and very smooth, an original 21st century fox and all in all she's the girl we all want to be.
Published October 1st 1999 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Swell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swell

Crystal
Jun 09, 2012 Crystal rated it it was amazing
This book is just plain fun!

Not only is it fun to read, but it's also written mostly just for fun. It's not actually a step by step guild book. Sure there are a few great ideas and suggestions, (The first time I read this was years ago and the pokers tips came in unexpectedly handy the first time I played), but don't take the book to seriously or literally. I think this should be read the way you read a cookbook or a magazine, sure you use a recipe or piece of advice here or there, but for the
Elizabeth Gilliam
Mar 02, 2017 Elizabeth Gilliam rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
I really liked the book when I first bought and read it 2000 because I hoped it would make me more extroverted it didn't . I have just finished rereading it and have greatly realized I'm way too introverted to do most of this because it involves talking to people.
Robyn
Jan 09, 2014 Robyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I picked this up in either 2001 or 2002, and I actually really quite liked it. I have never had the lifestyle that this book is meant to help you achieve, but I also never really wanted it full-time. There's plenty of things that can be taken from this book and added to a normal life to spice it up, change things around, give a little shake, without trying to be somebody that you're not.

As a small example, this book contains instructions and rules for playing craps. Not in a casino, but Guys an
Emily
Feb 22, 2011 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
Cute book. I grabbed it from the library looking for tips on approaching hostessing with a more carefree attitude. Living in DC has it's many social pressures and it often feels like in order to have people over you have to have a spotless house, multi course gourmet meals and intellectual nuggets of wisdom to bestow upon your guests. I like the idea of winging it and wanted to see how it was done.

I skimmed the rest of the book as hostessing is only one chapter but the authors approach style, g
Jenna
Jan 14, 2014 Jenna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book came out during the SATC craze (which I still consider one of my favorite shows). I was in college and found the book to be a light, fun read with good ideas, tips, tricks, and humor. All in all, it was a "Swell" book that I still have on a bookcase at my office rather than in the book graveyard boxes where my books go to die. If your on the fabulous train with more aspirations than being a "Teen Mom" or on some reality show, then I suggest this book.
Andree Lachapelle
Dec 24, 2008 Andree Lachapelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
A great reference to have on hand, this book gives quirky tips and advice on how to be fabulous on the fly. A must-have for girls who want to be ready for anything, on a moment's notice!
With Butterflies
Oct 07, 2008 With Butterflies rated it did not like it
I am a girlie girl and this book is aimed at (gawd help me) my demographic. I *hated* it. It just seems like double talking nonsense. Honestly, I couldn't even read past the first few pages. I skimmed the rest of the book and found it to be pretty worthless.
Eliana
May 14, 2013 Eliana rated it it was ok
Okay, but a little long winded and sort of assumes a level of financial stability and lifestyle that not everyone has.
I've read better"guide" books.
Erica
Jul 04, 2009 Erica rated it it was amazing
I read this book about 10 years ago, but I LOVE it--changed my life in a way...I should get it at the library and read again soon...hope I like it as much.
Blanca
May 03, 2007 Blanca rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: girly girls
Shelves: etiquette
This is not to be taken seriously, but it does make stylish suggestions with humor, sass and excellent illustrations.
Rebecca
I think I read this when I first started at the library...I remember really liking it, but now it seems a bit dated. Or maybe I've gotten older. Ha!
Lindsey
Oct 01, 2007 Lindsey rated it liked it
Kind of silly.
Elizabeth
May 10, 2013 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Pulled it off the library shelf wondering how dated it would seem. The answer: very much, but in a charming way. Not a cell phone in sight. And remember when cigar smoking was cool?
Christina
Jul 15, 2007 Christina rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, domestic
entertaining and humourous, but unrealistic for anyone not born into money. lots and lots of money.
Kathy
Jul 16, 2010 Kathy rated it liked it
I liked this book it was very uplifting and fun to read
Kristal
Dec 27, 2009 Kristal rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads, reviewed
Swell is the place where spirit and style meet.
Liesl
Jun 11, 2008 Liesl rated it it was ok
Shelves: how-to
I used to want to be this kind of girl, but I am hoping I grow out of it more every day.
Anna
Sep 22, 2013 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: own, humor
Can't remember if I read about this or it was a gift. It's cute and fun. Nice to have something different in a mostly serious collection.
Hilary
Jul 13, 2007 Hilary rated it it was amazing
Read this forever ago - but loved it!
Ashley (cnthrdlywt2bwz)
Kind of outdated for 2008, but cute at the time. I used to dream about having the kind of parties she describes!
Jennifer Mckinley
Jennifer Mckinley rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it did not like it
Jun 03, 2013
Lorissa
Lorissa rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2012
Becky
Becky rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Sarah Cv
Sarah Cv rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2010
Rachael Teel
Rachael Teel rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2014
Sallie Ann
Sallie Ann rated it really liked it
May 18, 2015
Dionne
Dionne rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2014
Jill
Jill rated it it was ok
Feb 17, 2016
Lyndsey
Lyndsey rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal: A Guide for Crafters, Artists  Creatives of all Kinds
  • In the Arms of Morpheus: The Tragic History of Laudanum, Morphine, and Patent Medicines
  • Good Mail Day: A Primer for Making Eye-Popping Postal Art
  • Diana Vreeland
  • The Bombshell Manual of Style
  • Cat Power: A Good Woman
  • Handmade Modern: Mid-Century Inspired Projects for Your Home
Cynthia Rowley is a Illinois native who is best known as a fashion designer.
More about Cynthia Rowley...