Start by marking “Swell: A Girl's Guide to the Good Life” as Want to Read:
Swell: A Girl's Guide to the Good Life
Preview

Swell: A Girl's Guide to the Good Life

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  208 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Written for girls who want to live the good life, Swell's definition of such a person is a bon vivant, but not a snob. The Swell is witty, wily and very smooth, an original 21st century fox and all in all she's the girl we all want to be.
Published October 1st 1999 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Swell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swell

Robyn
I picked this up in either 2001 or 2002, and I actually really quite liked it. I have never had the lifestyle that this book is meant to help you achieve, but I also never really wanted it full-time. There's plenty of things that can be taken from this book and added to a normal life to spice it up, change things around, give a little shake, without trying to be somebody that you're not.

As a small example, this book contains instructions and rules for playing craps. Not in a casino, but Guys an
Emily
Cute book. I grabbed it from the library looking for tips on approaching hostessing with a more carefree attitude. Living in DC has it's many social pressures and it often feels like in order to have people over you have to have a spotless house, multi course gourmet meals and intellectual nuggets of wisdom to bestow upon your guests. I like the idea of winging it and wanted to see how it was done.

I skimmed the rest of the book as hostessing is only one chapter but the authors approach style, g
Jenna
This book came out during the SATC craze (which I still consider one of my favorite shows). I was in college and found the book to be a light, fun read with good ideas, tips, tricks, and humor. All in all, it was a "Swell" book that I still have on a bookcase at my office rather than in the book graveyard boxes where my books go to die. If your on the fabulous train with more aspirations than being a "Teen Mom" or on some reality show, then I suggest this book.
Crystal
This book is just plain fun!

Not only is it fun to read, but it's also written mostly just for fun. It's not actually a step by step guild book. Sure there are a few great ideas and suggestions, (The first time I read this was years ago and the pokers tips came in unexpectedly handy the first time I played), but don't take the book to seriously or literally. I think this should be read the way you read a cookbook or a magazine, sure you use a recipe or piece of advice here or there, but for the
Andree Lachapelle
A great reference to have on hand, this book gives quirky tips and advice on how to be fabulous on the fly. A must-have for girls who want to be ready for anything, on a moment's notice!
With Butterflies
I am a girlie girl and this book is aimed at (gawd help me) my demographic. I *hated* it. It just seems like double talking nonsense. Honestly, I couldn't even read past the first few pages. I skimmed the rest of the book and found it to be pretty worthless.
Elizabeth
Pulled it off the library shelf wondering how dated it would seem. The answer: very much, but in a charming way. Not a cell phone in sight. And remember when cigar smoking was cool?
Erica
I read this book about 10 years ago, but I LOVE it--changed my life in a way...I should get it at the library and read again soon...hope I like it as much.
Cyn
Okay, but a little long winded and sort of assumes a level of financial stability and lifestyle that not everyone has.
I've read better"guide" books.
Rebecca
I think I read this when I first started at the library...I remember really liking it, but now it seems a bit dated. Or maybe I've gotten older. Ha!
Anna
Jun 07, 2014 Anna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor, own
Can't remember if I read about this or it was a gift. It's cute and fun. Nice to have something different in a mostly serious collection.
Ashley (cnthrdlywt2bwz)
Kind of outdated for 2008, but cute at the time. I used to dream about having the kind of parties she describes!
Blanca
May 05, 2007 Blanca rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: girly girls
Shelves: etiquette
This is not to be taken seriously, but it does make stylish suggestions with humor, sass and excellent illustrations.
Christina
entertaining and humourous, but unrealistic for anyone not born into money. lots and lots of money.
Liesl
I used to want to be this kind of girl, but I am hoping I grow out of it more every day.
Michelle
Given to me at a time when I needed to be reminded what a Swell Girl I actualy was!
Kathy
I liked this book it was very uplifting and fun to read
Hilary
Read this forever ago - but loved it!
Lindsey
Kind of silly.
Cheri
Cheri marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Mirabai
Mirabai marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
  • Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal: A Guide for Crafters, Artists & Creatives of all Kinds
  • Handmade Modern: Mid-Century Inspired Projects for Your Home
  • City Chic: An Urban Girl's Guide to Livin' Large on Less
  • The Power of Style
  • Van Gogh
  • Undecorate: The No-Rules Approach to Interior Design
  • Journal Revolution: Rise Up and Create Art Journals, Personal Manifestos and Other Artistic Insurrections
  • Diana Vreeland
  • Mend It Better: Creative Patching, Darning, and Stitching
  • Better than Beauty: A Guide to Charm
  • Eco Craft: Recycle Recraft Restyle
Cynthia Rowley is a Illinois native who is best known as a fashion designer.
More about Cynthia Rowley...
Home Swell Home Swell Holiday: Turning Up the Twinkle The Swell Dressed Party Slim: A Fantasy Memoir by Cynthia Rowley Swell Style:  A Girl's Guide To Turning Heads (Swell Little Books)