El Ahogado Mas Hermoso del Mundo

El Ahogado Mas Hermoso del Mundo

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  480 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Text of a short story by the notable Colombian author accompanied by photographs recreating the tale.
Published February 1st 1998 by Lectorum Publications (first published 1980)

Emir Never
Translated in English as "The Handsomest Drowned Man in the World", this is similar to A Very Old Man With Enormous Wings only that here, a corpse was discovered on the shore.

Comparing the two, I think there's some sort of reversal in the stories: AVOMWEW started with an attractive concept-- an angel on earth-- but GGM later on hinted a different being, and therefore a shattering of belief; while THDMitW started out with a dead body and uncovered a beauty in the form of the handsomest drowned m...more
Steven Gilbert
Read this short story while subbing for a 10th grade English class. Startling tale, beautifully written, full of symbolism, imagery and allegory. Some might argue that the story highlights society's infatuation with celebrity, but I chose to think of it more as a homage to the transformative, magical power of imagination. Suggested read for everyone.
Anne
This is classic Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez. The title can be deceptive. Underneath The Handsomest Drowned Man in the World, there's this seemingly out of place words written: "A Story for Children". Well, obviously, this is not to be read by kids; something so deep in scope and full of underlying meanings are meant to be for someone older. I rate this higher than Balthazar's Marvelous Afternoon because I understood it better and I was able to give my own interpretation. I knew what was going on, un...more
Maria Isabel
Read this one for english class.
Garcia Marquez, considered by many to be Colombia's foremost writer, has gained much of his recognition by writing stories that operate on a mythical, almost allegorical, level. ''The Handsomest Drowned Man in the World" takes this type of storytelling into a realm of the fantastic that seems to have no connection to a particular time or place

My Favorite part: men and women became aware for the first time of the desolation of their streets, the dryness of the cou...more
Ele-Reet Ehelaid
Esimene asi, mis García Márquezilt lugesin ja armusin tema loomingusse...
Cassidy
This is one of my all-time favorite short stories, first read in ninth grade English class. However, I do have to apologize to my friend Melina for recommending that she read "One Hundred Years of Solitude" based on the fact that I liked this story (she was in the 10th grade at the time and struggled through it). This story and that book are so very, very different. Sorry to have misled you, Melina--but, I hope you would agree he's an amazing writer! :)
Suzie
Oct 06, 2013 Suzie rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Not kids
All of the book talks about one thing, Human nature. Clinging to something that didn't exist, to stretch one's imagination so much, to come to love a dead body, going as far as changing the whole town to fit it.

Quite the masterpiece. Haven't read a complicated book like this in a while.
Amber
This was my introduction to GGM, who was my literary boyfriend when Kurt Vonnegut was out of town. It was a short story that stuck with me even though I didn't appreciate it at the time. I was probably just bitter because I was just forced to write a paper on Wuthering Heights.
Salymar
LOL, I was looking for a good set of short stories and I came across "The Handsomest Drowned Man in the World" by Gabriel Marquez.
This has the Edgar Allan Poe's way of weirding things out, and it was okay. A good read per se ;)
a must read! ;)
Shreya=Drastically Random. Find the emoticon.
It was very interesting, and I really liked the way it described the man and their perspective of him. I read it for English class and it was great to discuss. I can't believe it's a tale for children...it's a bit hard for them, isn't it?
Shriya
A classic tribute to the power of human imagination and the ability of humans to fall in love with something that existed only in their heads. An absolute favourite!

Наташа
Красивая история, да и вообще творчество Маркеса мне нравиться, оно цепляет и что-то будит в душе. Так и эта история тоже заставляет задуматься.
Ren
Read this for my midterm project.... I love Marquez's style and the genre of magical realism. It takes a while to fully appreciate it.
Max
A strange story, strange people living in the world... And the amazing human ability to see beauty in the strangest circumstances.
Preethi
Classic Marquez. The way the story unfolds, and the shift in emotions of the people... beautiful. Loved it!
Ariadna73
Conjunto de cuentos fantásticos; muy entretenidos; y que lo hacen pensar a uno sobre la vida y el amor.
Monica
One of my favorite short stories! Read it if you would like to practice Spanish... enjoy! :D
Josh
Fascinating, bizarre, strangely moving. My favorite of Garcia Marquez stories.
Magnolia Blanca
De cómo suplir la soledades de otro y la propia.
Ese ahogado también era mío.
Ana
es un cuento corto muy bonito. Explicativo y lleno de emociones.
Melanie Walker
Ironic, that it takes a dead man to bring life to a town.
Lillian N.
Talk about weird, and just plain disturbing . . .
Kate
Jun 27, 2007 Kate added it
Hernan Diaz's photos are something else!
Serena
This was such a weird story...
Vilma Mesa
this is such a beautiful and sad story!
Lucía
no lo leí en japonés, pero lo leí
Dcore
Dcore marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
  • LA CARRETA
  • Casa tomada y otros cuentos
  • El niño que enloqueció de amor
  • The Judgement
  • La Parure
  • Tughlaq A Play In Thirteen Scenes
  • All You Who Sleep Tonight: Poems
  • Los árboles mueren de pie
  • Samsa in Love
  • The Color of My Words
  • Jane Eyre (Simple English)
  • Doña Bárbara
  • Riders to the Sea
  • In a Grove
  • Cuentos completos
  • Riot
  • Hills like White Elephants
  • García Márquez: Crónica de una muerte anunciada
Gabriel José de la Concordia Garcí­a Márquez was a Colombian novelist, short-story writer, screenwriter and journalist. Garcí­a Márquez, familiarly known as "Gabo" in his native country, was considered one of the most significant authors of the 20th century. In 1982, he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature.

He studied at the University of Bogotá and late worked as a reporter for the Colombian...more
More about Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez...
One Hundred Years of Solitude Love in the Time of Cholera Chronicle of a Death Foretold Memories of My Melancholy Whores Of Love and Other Demons