Start by marking “The Bitter Woods” as Want to Read:
The Bitter Woods

The Bitter Woods

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  9 reviews
It was the greatest single battle the U.S. Army ever fought. More than a million GIs were involved and nearly 80,000 became casualties. The Allied generals had to rally beaten, dispirited troops in the face of an attack they had never dreamed possible.A study in command, from generals to squad leaders, The Bitter Woods follows von Runstedt, Dietrich, and of course Hitler, ...more
Published August 22nd 1995 by Da Capo Press (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Bitter Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bitter Woods

One of the best books to me that I've read on the Battle of the Bulge. the author was the son of the Supreme Commander of the Allied command in Europe during World War II-Dwight D. Eisenhower. This book breaks down the operations and command of the Battle of the Bulge as well as the aftermath. The beginning of the book gives a brief biographical analysis of the Allied and German commanders involved in the Battle of the Bulge.
Jim Gallen
As readers of my reviews will know I am a student of World War II. As such I am looking for books that are reliable sources for particular topics. For the Battle of the Bulge that book is “The Bitter Woods”. While author John Eisenhower was the son of one of, if not the, battle’s most significant participants, his role in this project is that of a serious historian with an unparelled access to then living veterans of the operation.

Eisenhower approaches the Ardennes campaign from all aspects, Ger
I found The "Bitter Woods" by John Eisenhower to surprisingly good. I went into the book with low expectations, but read it because it was reference a few time in "The Damned Engineers," an excellent little book about the heroic exploits of the 291st combat engineers around Malmedy during the Battle of the Bulge. Eisenhower, son of Supreme Commander, had written a reasonably detailed and balanced account of the battle in the Ardennes forest in late 1944. The author takes 160 pages to brief the r ...more
A completely solid, comprehensive account of the final German offensive in the West. Focusing on context and commanders the author (the son of the Dwight D. Eisenhower) places the battle the strategic content of WW2 and enables the reader to gain a multifaceted appreciation of the commanders on both side.

Concurrently he convincingly calls out how the combat qualities of individual US soldiers an small units created the delay and friction that effectively thwarted the German attempt to turn the
Robert Krenzel
This is a great book for an overview of the Battle of the Bulge. The author is understandably biased (his Dad was in charge of the Allied side), so you must take that into account.

The highlight of this book for me: during a staff ride of the St Vith area, my Lieutenants and I used the book's maps and descriptions to find the foxholes of a recon platoon that held off a German parachute division for several hours, delaying Kampfgruppe Peiper's breakthrough. Standing in those fighting positions ga
Fordan Bonardi
Personally, I made a mistake in not reading the story line level of this book? It choose books about cold weather war in I Europe and Korea to read during the winter, as it gets to feel how it felt. I assumed that it would be a book about the company level during the battle of the bulge, but it was from the general on up level! and found to be good! but again! not what I was looking for! I know I was a bit lazy, and will try to do better.
I'm enjoying this book and I have learned alot about his life and life in general. He ws an amazing man. I was inspired to read this book aftre visitng his childhood home and town earlier this month. It has made the reading the book so much more meaningful since I can picture some of the places that are referred to. Abilene is a quant little town with so much beauty.
Keith Wagner
Jul 28, 2011 Keith Wagner added it
Shelves: owned
A great read especially from the son of the commander!
Marina marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Dave Van Es
Dave Van Es marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Bill marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Tagore Nakornchai
Tagore Nakornchai marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Nancy K. Williams
Nancy K. Williams marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Amy Marie
Amy Marie marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Karen Brown
Karen Brown marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Swapnil Sawant
Swapnil Sawant marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Vanaja Shankar
Vanaja Shankar marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Chad marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Damien King
Damien King marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Linda marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
  • The Supreme Commander: The War Years of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
  • Battle: The Story of the Bulge
  • It Never Snows in September: The German View of Market-Garden and the Battle of Arnhem, September 1944
  • Bomber Command
  • The Battle of Kursk
  • Anzio: Italy and the Battle for Rome — 1944
  • A Time for Trumpets: The Untold Story of the Battle of the Bulge
  • War Made New: Technology, Warfare, and the Course of History: 1500 to Today
  • Fire In The Sky: The Air War In The South Pacific
  • Black Edelweiss
  • The Last Warrior: Andrew Marshall and the Shaping of Modern American Defense Strategy
  • The Ultimate Battle: Okinawa, 1945: The Last Epic Struggle of World War II
  • Crusade in Europe
  • Guadalcanal: The Definitive Account of the Landmark Battle
  • Monte Cassino: The Hardest Fought Battle of World War II
  • September Hope: The American Side of a Bridge Too Far
  • Operatives, Spies, and Saboteurs: The Unknown Story of the Men and Women of World War II's OSS
  • Utmost Savagery: The Three Days of Tarawa
The son of President Dwight D. Eisenhower and his wife Mamie, John Sheldon Doud Eisenhower was a retired United States Army officer who authored several books of military history. He served as the U.S. Ambassador to Belgium from 1969 to 1971.
More about John S.D. Eisenhower...