Start by marking “In Search of the Obvious: The Antidote for Today's Marketing Mess” as Want to Read:
In Search of the Obvious: The Antidote for Today's Marketing Mess

In Search of the Obvious: The Antidote for Today's Marketing Mess

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This is the first book that states the obvious: Marketing is a mess. Marketing guru Jack Trout intends to make a lot of people, who made the mess, very uncomfortable: Advertisers are criticized as people who look for the creative and edgy, not the obvious. They will not be happy. Marketing people are criticized for getting hopelessly entangled in corporate egos and complic ...more
Published December 22nd 2008 by Wiley (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about In Search of the Obvious, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Search of the Obvious

Panata Harianja
May 11, 2011 Panata Harianja rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: advertising people, student
Shelves: advertising
Pemimpin Coca-Cola Roberto Qoizueta pada tahun 1985 memprediksikan bahwa New Coke akan berubah menjadi "Perkembangan minuman ringan paling penting dalam sejarah perusahaan....Gerakan paling meyakinkan yang pernah ada." Yah, Roberto, yang terjadi adalah bom paling penting dalam sejarah Coke.

Begitu tulis Jack Trout di halaman 226 menggambarkan bagaimana begitu banyak pemasarn dan (apalagi) CEO perusahaan (hingga yang raksasa sekalipun) melakukan kesalahan dalam memahami perkembangan bisnis dan din
The first few pages is full of gyan. And he introduces us to a 90 yr old book. And gives out a few snippets of that book, its actually good. And makes you think that wisdom be it yesterdays or today will always hold good, if its got common sense. Before i start of let me ask you a few questions.

• Ideas for life.
• Shift.

Most of these are words that accompany a companies Trade mark. Well few u might but the rest u might not. So all that he says is please stick to the obvious. For eg What is the p
Marc Rocket
2 Stars if you've read Differentiate or Die. After reading his other books, this one only brings us about 25 pages of new ideas. I wish he had the courage to just publish a 25 page book and sell for same price. That would be a differentiation in the market.
To make this easier to read scan pages for Coke, GM, IBM, and Apple. Skip these sections as they are rehashed stories from his previous books.
The book us worth the price, just not worth the time.
Entertaining diagnosis of modern marketing – plus a cure

Veteran marketer Jack Trout successfully manages to inject new material while belaboring the obvious. To do well, he says, marketers must go back to the basics, even though it’s popular to chase trends and be cute. Marketers are concerned about fancy strategies, high-tech gadgets, quantitative research, entertaining ads and faddish consultants – all a waste of time. Trout says to go back to the core of marketing. Focus on the obvious. That’
A really good insight into various aspects and pitfalls of marketing.
Jack Trout highlights 'simplicity', and 'the obvious', two keywords that I personally give a lot of importance to in business.
He chooses to differ from the herd, and gives you completely unbiased and hard-hitting facts about how many of the marketing folk have lost perspective, and their way, and how many advertisers too have moved from creating impactful ads for their clients, to making entertaining movies where the client and
James Christensen
Good stuff, but then I'm a Jack Trout fan. To be perfectly honest I'm not sure if there are new things in this book. If you've read 21 laws, and positioning, you probably won't get anything new out of this one.
Garin Hess
Best book I've read so far about differentiating your business from the competition and how to communicate it. Essential reading for any serious business practitioner.
Avik Debnath
A nice book to understand the marketing campaigns and strategies and the mess created by some of the big names in the industry. Overall a decent read......
Damla Kaan
Trout says that marketing isn't complicated thing. Marketers, advertisers make marketing so difficult. If you don't love marketing you should read it....
The first marketing strategy book I ever read, and one that I still think about today.
Güzel bir kitaptı, açıklayıcı öğretici... sıkılmazsanız okuyabilirsiniz
Rich Krafsig
Not bad, worth reading.
Ayudiah Natalia
Ayudiah Natalia marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Magesh marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Alexis is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2015
Rohini marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Pavan Bhalavat
Pavan Bhalavat marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Ishavasyam Dash
Ishavasyam Dash is currently reading it
Jun 13, 2015
Bhavana marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Madhuri Kumar
Madhuri Kumar marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015