Start by marking “What Happens on Wednesdays” as Want to Read:
What Happens on Wednesdays

What Happens on Wednesdays

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  143 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Published August 7th 2007 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about What Happens on Wednesdays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Happens on Wednesdays

Kathryn
Nov 04, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one!
This book SOUNDED cute. It LOOKS cute. But it is so BORING!!! Ugh. It is so pedestrian, so mundane--there is no "magic" in the Wednesdays, no "voice" in the little girl narrating...just a laundry list of things she does on Wednesday.

Also, I felt relieved (yet sad, at the same time!) when I came on to read reviews and found that some other grown-ups felt the text seemed to foreshadow something ominous--though nothing really came to pass (though the last page with the bed-time exchange between the
Natalie
Feb 14, 2008 Natalie rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people into routines
What Happens on Wednesdays is an anticlimactic tale of little girl narrating a typical weekday. I really liked the illustrations and appreciated the tone, but I was filled with a sense of dread throughout the book.

I anticipated something ominous would happen based on the title and evidenced by the fact that the girl kept repeating that "today was not a kissing day". I half expected that she was having to put her dog down, or get all her hair cut off, or move to Utah.

I was convinced throughout th
Hapzydeco
Feb 17, 2015 Hapzydeco rated it really liked it
A cute little story set in an urban environment where everything is within walking distance. As the preschool girl shares her Wednesday routine, the richness of detail will bring you, reader, into the story.
Jul 18, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This is "a day in the life" of a little girl and her urban family. Going to the coffeeshop, getting a bagel, walking through the dog park, going to school and the public pool, going home past the merchants, etc.

I was a little worried that kids would think it was too "quiet" (read: boring) - it isn't funny, or noisy, there isn't really conflict, as such, except that the little girl has declared this a "no kissing day". But my five-year-old friend was rapt.

And LOVE LOVE LOVE the illustrations.
Sandy Brehl
This appeals on several levels, most especially the point of view of the narrator. Likely to have greatest appeal to little ones who live in the heart of an urban setting (even better if at happens to be New York). The specifications of detail, relationships of characters, and complexity of events/sequence offers opportunities to use this a mentor text for young writers who can tend to write a beginning, middle, end. Period. The illustrations are as specific and detailed as the text.
Linda
From a young girl I guess is in a morning Kindergarten, this story tells nearly every part of her day, from rising with her mother, asserting some independence through telling that “This is not a kissing day”. Mommy drinks coffee and the young girl wakes Daddy, and they’re off to school. But on the way, breakfast bagels happen and greetings from people in the neighborhood. Then school, and that schedule. Finally after school, dinner and evening arrives, then bedime. The pictures are realistic, ...more
Christy
Feb 10, 2016 Christy rated it really liked it

The sounds, tastes, smells, and sights of a multiethnic Br
Amy
Feb 20, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it
Daily routines are the mark of consistency in young children's lives. In this lovely, contemporary story readers go on the Wednesday adventure of an observant young preschooler. We walk with her to the dog park, school, library and swimming class- which all take place in Brooklyn. Because its Wednesday, she reminds her parents that "today is not a kissing day", an element of the story that will make adults chuckle! As her day winds down, she picks Daddy to tuck her in, and the simple story ends. ...more
Brittany
Sep 28, 2013 Brittany rated it liked it

This book gives a depiction of how a preschool child from a multi-ethnic neighborhood in Brooklyn describes her daily activities through what she experiences everyday as apposed to using a clock to time out her day. This book indulges and activates the readers sensory skills by describing smells, tastes ans sights that the little girl experiences as her day progresses. This also provides exposure to children who may not have grown up or live in the same demographic. The author wanted to express
Lindi
Jun 04, 2014 Lindi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
It's very simple -- Wednesdays are not kissing days, but they are Daddy takes me to school days, and bubbles in the water table days, and swim with Mommy days with library visit following.

In short they are perfect days for following a preschooler around her neighborhood and noticing all her landmarks.
Kaethe
Jul 16, 2014 Kaethe rated it really liked it
Jenkins is quite good at conveying the mind of a young child. She nailed it, at least, I think she did from the vast distance of five years out from having a preschooler. Mostly, she reminded me that I do not miss that stage, although I think I enjoyed it when the girls were there.

Library copy.
Jen
Jun 05, 2014 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-picture-books
Ms. Jenkins beautifully captures the voice of the young girl who shares what her Wednesdays are like. I particularly enjoyed the details - like being handed a granola bar and recalling the tree with an umbrella caught in it. Sweet and tender.
Michele Knott
Jul 23, 2014 Michele Knott rated it really liked it
A little girl goes through her regular Wednesday routine.
There are some kids who thrive on structure and those kids will love seeing themselves in this little girl.
Lauren Castillo is definitely one of my favorite illustrators.
Paula
A preschooler marks the progress of her day, not by the clock but by what happens after lunch, after nap, after swimming, after the library - and after Daddy comes home. She doesn't map her neighborhood by street signs, either. Her morning walk to see dogs in the park takes her past the cat outside the deli, past her friend Errolyn's building and the daycare where she used to go when she was little, and down the block to the bagel store. The sounds, tastes, smells, and sights of a multiethnic Br ...more
Matthew
Jul 19, 2013 Matthew rated it really liked it
I liked this book for its ability to offer a different perspective on what most people would see as ordinary, mundane experience. The little girl, the narrator of the whole day, tells about her Wednesday experience as a child would tell it. The idea that a child would use nontraditional means of describing everything is consistent throughout. The child doesn't use clocks or street signs or even traditional landmarks to describe the events of the day. Instead, she relies of her own experience and ...more
Sharon
Dec 19, 2015 Sharon rated it liked it
A child's look at the traditional "hump day" of the week and the activities and habits that shape everyday in an urban setting.
Jana
What a sweet and charming picture book. The little girl as the narrator shares with readers all of the events that occur every Wednesday, from the time she wakes up before dark, to the time she goes to bed at night. Young readers will certainly be able to relate to this book through the activities they have in common with this girl. And for those events that are different, that definitely invites comparison and discussion. The illustrations are the same cozy and warm detailed paintings that are ...more
Paige Y.
Illustrations are fabulous, story not so much
Jul 10, 2011 Laura rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s, 2011, picture
I think this book is just supposed to be a book about what a four-year-old does every Wednesday. I was a little creeped out by the repetition that "today is not a kissing day" but the book didn't seem to include a larger message to address the kissing. The creep factor combined with what seems to be a child's to-do list make this a book I wouldn't recommend to young readers. The pictures, are, however, interesting in a subdued sort of way and I liked that the story addressed normal aspects of ur ...more
Kathy
Oct 06, 2008 Kathy rated it it was amazing
What Happens on Wednesdays is a story about a little girl narrating her Wednesday from the moment she wakes up, until she falls asleep. It is an intersting way to view the day; through the eyes of a child. This story would be perfect for an activity on sequencing. I would have the students sequence 10 events with writing and illustrations. It could also be used to discuss the days of the week. Have the students pick their favorite day of the week and write a short story about it.
Megan
Feb 06, 2013 Megan rated it did not like it
"What Happens on Wednesdays" walks through the day of a young girl who is of Kindergarten age. While the illustrations are intimate, warm, and comforting, the story is somewhat bland with a semi-subtle theme of "It's not a kissing day" running throughout. The child has a lovely day, showing her routine: nothing more, nothing less. It was a quaint, one-time read.
Paul
Jul 30, 2012 Paul rated it liked it
I didn't expect a whole lot from this book, so I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe children will find this outline of one day's rhythms helpful. The drawings convey feeling and character, and I especially liked the floral patterns Castillo worked into the bedspreads, clothing and wallpaper, including bamboo and possibly Chinese orchids.
Maren Prestegaard
Feb 23, 2013 Maren Prestegaard rated it really liked it
I liked this book. And it made me want to move to the city . . . being able to walk to the bagel shop and the dog park and the school across the street. I'm wistful for city living. The book does not have the magic of Knufflebunny. There's no great running theme. But there is charm sometimes in simplicity, I think.
Marianna
May 10, 2010 Marianna rated it it was ok
Why is Wednesday a no kissing day????? I was waiting for the answer on the last page, yet it wasn't there. I like the idea of following the routine of an ordinary day, but felt this book could have done a better job. Even the ordinary can be special...and I'll ask again why is Wednesday a no kissing day?
Julie
Jan 16, 2011 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
A little girl from New York City narrates her typical Wednesday routine. Jenkins captures a preschooler's voice well. Young children, whether they live in a large city or not, will enjoy recognizing their own routines and the predictable nature of the story (get out of bed, eat breakfast, etc.)
Hilary
Jul 10, 2009 Hilary rated it it was ok
The illustrations were really pretty and the author did a good job of capturing a little kids voice as she goes about her day. The last page was rather creepy, but aside from that it was pretty good. The only trouble was that not much really happened with it...
Jojo
Jan 11, 2014 Jojo marked it as to-read
nice book
Beth
Jun 20, 2016 Beth rated it liked it
Beautiful illustrations though the story itself was rather anticlimactic. The story, however, depicts a beautiful, ideal family and gives the reader a sense of comfort and contentment as they read.
Tricia
May 14, 2008 Tricia rated it liked it
cute stream of consciousness tale about a girl's wednesday. strange feeling of foreboding because wednesday is not a kissing day..repeated throughout the book.
Phoebe
May 13, 2008 Phoebe rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
This picture book has an unusual honesty, in addition to sweet, charming photos. Not one I'd be interested in owning, but certainly worthwhile library rental.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • At Night
  • In November
  • What You Know First (Trophy Picture Books)
  • Mean Soup
  • Adèle and Simon
  • How Murray Saved Christmas
  • The Snow Day
  • Switch on the Night
  • Potty Animals: What to Know When You've Gotta Go!
  • Freedom on the Menu: The Greensboro Sit-Ins